• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
HDHomeRun DUAL - High Definition Digital TV Tuner (Network Attached) HDHR3-US (Black) by SiliconDust

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815345007

HDHomeRun is an Ethernet attached TV tuner that turns each of your networked computers into a full-featured digital DVR. No need to open your computer case to install a PCI card or tie to a USB dongle; the HDHomeRun connects to your home router enabling you to watch and record TV from any computer on your home network. Similar to how a network printer is available to all computers, the HDHomeRun serves high quality digital TV to your family room, bedrooms, kitchen, home office, even your backyard or garage - anywhere you have a computer.

Newegg
Need a Newegg coupon that earns 1.0% FatWallet Cash Back?
Member Summary
Type: External TV Tuner Box
TV Tuner: Dual Tuners
TV Standards: ATSC / ClearQAM
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I'm not trying to bash this product at all. More of a question. This doesn't work with satellite providers (DirecTV specifically), correct? If not, are there any products like this that do?

Burgertm said:   I'm not trying to bash this product at all. More of a question. This doesn't work with satellite providers (DirecTV specifically), correct? If not, are there any products like this that do?

Not easily. This is ONLY for cable providers using/supplying m-cards. Period.

No OTA tuners? Bummer.

eugeneflim said:   Burgertm said:   I'm not trying to bash this product at all. More of a question. This doesn't work with satellite providers (DirecTV specifically), correct? If not, are there any products like this that do?

Incorrect. This is the HDHomerun DUAL, not the Prime. The DUAL is strictly for ATSC (OTA broadcast) and unencrypted QAM (mostly just basic cable). If you want to be able to get encrypted cable channels (most are), you need a Prime, as only it supports the M-card that alows it to receive all the channels to which you subscribe including premium ones such as HBO. None of the HDHomerun products work with satellite.

RKBA said:   No OTA tuners? Bummer.
This does have an OTA tuner but is now OOS anyway.

justwanna said:   eugeneflim said:   Burgertm said:   I'm not trying to bash this product at all. More of a question. This doesn't work with satellite providers (DirecTV specifically), correct? If not, are there any products like this that do?

Incorrect. This is the HDHomerun DUAL, not the Prime. The DUAL is strictly for ATSC (OTA broadcast) and unencrypted QAM (mostly just basic cable). If you want to be able to get encrypted cable channels (most are), you need a Prime, as only it supports the M-card that alows it to receive all the channels to which you subscribe including premium ones such as HBO. None of the HDHomerun products work with satellite.

Unencrypted QAM is going the way of the Dodo on major carriers like Comcast.

I had submitted a "Tell us about a lower price" on this item at Amazon yesterday. They now have it at $59.99 (Be sure to select Amazon.com as the seller)
SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual High Definition Digital Television HDHR3-US (Black) @Amazon.com for $59.99

eugeneflim said:   Burgertm said:   I'm not trying to bash this product at all. More of a question. This doesn't work with satellite providers (DirecTV specifically), correct? If not, are there any products like this that do?

This is the version for OTA or clear QAM. This is not the cable card version. The cable card version is called Prime.

ChalPhut said:   I had submitted a "Tell us about a lower price" on this item at Amazon yesterday. They now have it at $59.99 (Be sure to select Amazon.com as the seller)
SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual High Definition Digital Television HDHR3-US (Black) @Amazon.com for $59.99

Thanks! Just picked one up. You were right, though, I had to change to Amazon.com as the seller (and not just "Fulfilled by Amazon").

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014