• Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Member Summary

Mitsubishi WD-60638
Thanks UncleRico
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
You just aren't willing to accept the consequences of your actions. No one will satisfy you until it's all someone else... (more)

slickdeal45 (Sep. 12, 2012 @ 12:33p) |

That's a NO-no!

jlh2600 (Sep. 12, 2012 @ 2:16p) |

I bought this TV for $500 or $600 from Amazon with free ship, no tax about 2 years ago. Unfortunately, the picture quali... (more)

webdoctors (Sep. 12, 2012 @ 3:06p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

These TV's age getting very mixed reviews, people either love them or hate them, but the bulb issue always is mentioned, whether you like them or not.

$799?? Am I missing something ??

polishdreamer said:   $799?? Am I missing something ??

Yes and I am not at all surprised

Too bad they don't have pick up available. $499 is a great price.

polishdreamer said:   $799?? Am I missing something ??

As always.

Bulb issue? Yes the bulb burns out after a couple of years. I replaced mine in two minutes with a $65 bulb I bought from Amazon. You remove one screw, pull out a cartridge, slide the new cartridge in and replace the screw. You don't even need a screwdriver it's a thumbscrew.

Is that the "bulb issue?"

StrawManArg said:   Bulb issue? Yes the bulb burns out after a couple of years. I replaced mine in two minutes with a $65 bulb I bought from Amazon. You remove one screw, pull out a cartridge, slide the new cartridge in and replace the screw. You don't even need a screwdriver it's a thumbscrew.

Been reading about people replacing bulb 3 or 4 times in very short periods, waiting to get bulbs on backorder, and heard as much as $200 per bulb. I am considering buying one of these sets but doing a google search scares me with the results.
Plus been reading about overheating issues and TV turning off.

As far as the bulb issue, at this price pick up the 4 year extended warranty for $129 and let Best Buy worry about it for the next 4 years.

bookreader54321 said:   As far as the bulb issue, at this price pick up the 4 year extended warranty for $129 and let Best Buy worry about it for the next 4 years.

Are you sure the warranty covers replacement bulbs?

I've had mine (60" like this one) for a couple of years now, and my only regret is not having the 72" or larger version.

No issues with blown bulbs (but then, it's not *that* old).

bones774 said:   StrawManArg said:   Bulb issue? Yes the bulb burns out after a couple of years. I replaced mine in two minutes with a $65 bulb I bought from Amazon. You remove one screw, pull out a cartridge, slide the new cartridge in and replace the screw. You don't even need a screwdriver it's a thumbscrew.

Been reading about people replacing bulb 3 or 4 times in very short periods, waiting to get bulbs on backorder, and heard as much as $200 per bulb. I am considering buying one of these sets but doing a google search scares me with the results.

I had to replace the bulb in my 73 after a little over 2 years. I bought a bulb off of eBay for less than 100, and it took less than 5 minutes to change. Other than the bulb (which was expected) this TV has been perfect.

jetskier0 said:   bones774 said:   StrawManArg said:   Bulb issue? Yes the bulb burns out after a couple of years. I replaced mine in two minutes with a $65 bulb I bought from Amazon. You remove one screw, pull out a cartridge, slide the new cartridge in and replace the screw. You don't even need a screwdriver it's a thumbscrew.

I had to replace the bulb in my 73 after a little over 2 years. I bought a bulb off of eBay for less than 100, and it took less than 5 minutes to change. Other than the bulb (which was expected) this TV has been perfect.

I have seen DLP's given away for free on craiglsist when they go bad. If you are really cheap like I am you could consider getting these for the bulbs/power supplies/light engines if they fit your TV.

Have a 65 in,and have replaced bulb twice.My problem is that now the tv starts up then shuts off.Ive been told may be a picture board,but they're not made anymore.Have purchased a used one off eBay,and hasn't arrived yet.Not sure it's something I can do,but the alternative is a 2 yr old tv going to the curb with the trash.Good price on Bestbuy,but to buy another mitsubishi,not sure I can swallow.Lookin at a more reputable brand in Sony. My model is WD 65C9

60 hz, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

bones774 said:   StrawManArg said:   Bulb issue? Yes the bulb burns out after a couple of years. I replaced mine in two minutes with a $65 bulb I bought from Amazon. You remove one screw, pull out a cartridge, slide the new cartridge in and replace the screw. You don't even need a screwdriver it's a thumbscrew.

And you haven't even come across wobulation & geometry issues yet!

But read enough about any tv & you're going to find some dealbreakers. Even the $6k sharp elites! Go FOR IT.

GudSpellur said:   El Linko

excellent post OP have an older hdtv by mitsubishi, over 6 years old, never an issue, it is the older kind, projection but 55 inches in a box, know what i mean, one of my better purchases, i cannot believe some negativity in this post, folks, you are getting a 3D TV let alone a hdtv, go price a lcd or plasma 3d tv and you will be talking double the money or more for same size 3D
don't need another tv, but i ordered mine to replace a 60 inch sharp lcd in my theater room that is not 3D, i am an electronics junkie and for the buck, this is a steal folks, fyi i paid $1300 for the sharp over 18 months ago, so $500 for this one is a no brainer

Smokin' price.

i have a 2 year old Mitsubishi 60" 3-D Ready 1080p 120Hz DLP Rear-Projection TV - Black (WD60837)http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002HHLGD4 got it for $499 from Amazon with free ship and spent 100$ on a 4 year Squaretrade warranty(no bulb replacement) with accidental damage. I recently replaced the bulb for 50.99$ in less than 5 minutes with this bulb http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005PXMKI2 Since my family room is average size, 60 was the max size i could honestly justify in regards to viewing angles. It is the best purchase I have ever made PERIOD. Truly awesome picture with fantastic 3D(with free adapter I got on Promo). I even wall mounted it LOL here is a link to the pics http://s242.photobucket.com/albums/ff56/loslonelyman/Mitsubishi%...

I cannot recommend Mitsubishi DLP TV's enough,completely satisfied and impressed even two years later...never once had buyers remorse.

I have the WD 65C9 and replaced one bulb in 3 years. I love it. I'm looking forward to getting the Mitsub 85" in a few years.
My next move might be to buy the 3D setup.

That would be scary if any of it was true. Like any tv these days, you need some ventilation for the set. This one has a small intake for air to cool the engine and bulb. If that's packed with dust or shoved up to a wall or otherwise blocked, then you'll have some problems. But that's true with blocking the vents of any television ever made.

I've been running about 5 years between bulb changes in my dlp sets, using them 2-4 hours a day and vacuuming the vents off every now and then. I've never paid more than $75 for a bulb and never had to wait any longer than overnight shipping to receive it. It takes less than 5 minutes to change. About once every 4-6 weeks mine has an hdmi handshake problem and shuts itself off. They're supposed to fix that in firmware, eventually.

If bulbs are burning out in 2 years, something went wrong. If you paid more than $75, you don't know how to shop online. If you cant get a bulb, you're still not the brightest bulb in the tv set, as they're quite easily available from a gazillion sources for immediate delivery.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this tv set. Its cheap, big, has a great HD picture, and once or twice during its service life you might have to spend $75 on a bulb. It has no problems with viewing angles (dlp circa 2003) or brightness in a bright room with dark scenes (dlp circa 2005), or any of the other urban legends from the dark ages that don't apply to this set.

The only downsides I can think of are that you cant wall mount it (which would be worthless to me since I have a dvr, xbox, ps3, Roku player, google tv, directv box, router, switch, modem and 55 other little boxes that all have to go into some kind of stand) and the speakers in it suck for a large box set. If they spent more than a buck on them, they wasted their money. If they'd have spent $5 on them, you wouldn't need a soundbar or surround sound system. But thats an issue with pretty much ALL modern tv sets.

Why are all the positive reviews from folks who actually have a dlp TV, and all the negs are from people who " heard of" or "read about" problems or issues?

Because these are great TV's at a great price, that's why.

StrawManArg said:   Why are all the positive reviews from folks who actually have a dlp TV, and all the negs are from people who " heard of" or "read about" problems or issues?

Because these are great TV's at a great price, that's why.

But I heard on the interwebs that these DLP's can suddenly defy gravity and hurl themselves at people watching it and crush them like little ants...

katherine136 said:   Have a 65 in,and have replaced bulb twice.My problem is that now the tv starts up then shuts off.Ive been told may be a picture board,but they're not made anymore.Have purchased a used one off eBay,and hasn't arrived yet.Not sure it's something I can do,but the alternative is a 2 yr old tv going to the curb with the trash.Good price on Bestbuy,but to buy another mitsubishi,not sure I can swallow.Lookin at a more reputable brand in Sony. My model is WD 65C9

I had a similar DLP TV from another manufacturer and it went bad months before the BestBuy warranty expired. The local repair shop attempted to repair it 3 times. Finally they said the board was bad (their catch all phrase...) but, just like your case, it was no longer made. Someone in Europe converted a new board to the older configuration and sent that to the shop. Alas, nothing was able to fix it. When I called the repair shop again they refused to take a look at the TV and told me they would inform BB that it was unrepairable. I then used the store credit to buy myself a plasma TV. Once these DLP TVs go bad my recommendation is to forget it and just move on...

WOW! Incredible price... I have the 73" model and have been very happy with it.

Richardito said:   katherine136 said:   Have a 65 in,and have replaced bulb twice.My problem is that now the tv starts up then shuts off.Ive been told may be a picture board,but they're not made anymore.Have purchased a used one off eBay,and hasn't arrived yet.Not sure it's something I can do,but the alternative is a 2 yr old tv going to the curb with the trash.Good price on Bestbuy,but to buy another mitsubishi,not sure I can swallow.Lookin at a more reputable brand in Sony. My model is WD 65C9

I had a similar DLP TV from another manufacturer and it went bad months before the BestBuy warranty expired. The local repair shop attempted to repair it 3 times. Finally they said the board was bad (their catch all phrase...) but, just like your case, it was no longer made. Someone in Europe converted a new board to the older configuration and sent that to the shop. Alas, nothing was able to fix it. When I called the repair shop again they refused to take a look at the TV and told me they would inform BB that it was unrepairable. I then used the store credit to buy myself a plasma TV. Once these DLP TVs go bad my recommendation is to forget it and just move on...

So this deal on a Mitsubishi is a bad one beacuase you had one DLP from another manufacturer go bad?

Brilliant, simply brilliant...

My 73 inch Mits Dlp is now 3 years old, no issues ever, still on original bulb. Mine is on at least 12 hours a day for sure, and many days even more. I have one more year of warranty on it, and see no reason to tell someone to buy something different. $500 plus ship and tax is a great deal, if you can use a 60 inch.

There have been nice deals on 73 inch Mits on FW as well, if you want a larger one.

buster2 said:   60 hz, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I know nothing about TVs , but this deal was posted on another board and somebody knowledgable stated that 60 hz refresh is meaningless in DLP TVs. Can anyone verify?

NJDevilsfan said:   buster2 said:   60 hz, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I know nothing about TVs , but this deal was posted on another board and somebody knowledgable stated that 60 hz refresh is meaningless in DLP TVs. Can anyone verify?

Yes that IS correct

Thread crappers always find something to drop a buzz word, on something they do not understand

Delivery: We're sorry, the following items are out of stock: Mitsubishi - Home Cinema - 60" Class - DLP - 1080p - 60Hz - 3D - HDTV
Please remove these items from your order before continuing.

I have the wd65738 and it has been flawless for about 2 years now. I have a small usb powered fan sucking air out of the back by the bulb. You can get most parts from shopjimmy for relatively cheap including bulbs ($50 for bare bulb last time I checked).

Brew

Best Buy WON'T be around in 4 years. Bought my Toshiba 65" DLP from Circuit City and they went belly up after 6 months. Best Buy is going to have the same fate. Like years ago, you go into a CC store and there are more red shirts than customers. But the red shirts are standing around talking to each other instead of approaching customers. The red shirts have been replaced with blue...but it's the same results.

bookreader54321 said:   As far as the bulb issue, at this price pick up the 4 year extended warranty for $129 and let Best Buy worry about it for the next 4 years.

GudSpellur said:   Richardito said:   katherine136 said:   Have a 65 in,and have replaced bulb twice.My problem is that now the tv starts up then shuts off.Ive been told may be a picture board,but they're not made anymore.Have purchased a used one off eBay,and hasn't arrived yet.Not sure it's something I can do,but the alternative is a 2 yr old tv going to the curb with the trash.Good price on Bestbuy,but to buy another mitsubishi,not sure I can swallow.Lookin at a more reputable brand in Sony. My model is WD 65C9

So this deal on a Mitsubishi is a bad one beacuase you had one DLP from another manufacturer go bad?

Brilliant, simply brilliant...

ABSOLUTELY RIGHT.

PennState95 said:   Best Buy WON'T be around in 4 years. Bought my Toshiba 65" DLP from Circuit City and they went belly up after 6 months. Best Buy is going to have the same fate. Like years ago, you go into a CC store and there are more red shirts than customers. But the red shirts are standing around talking to each other instead of approaching customers. The red shirts have been replaced with blue...but it's the same results.

Why should we care whether BB will be around? You bought an inferior DLP (Toshiba) from a poorly run chain (CC). so? Mitsubishi's DLP's are better than the competition. Read the previous posts. Those criticizing Mitsu's DON'T OWN ONE, as Gud Spellr said. Is it a coincidence that the majority of Mitsu owners here seem to love them?

Too late I guess.

There are no delivery dates available within the next two weeks. Please click the Next Week or Next Month link to see more dates.

I have the WD-60C10 which is basically the same model as the WD-60638 that is in this deal, they even share the same owners manual.

I bought it from Dell a few years back, and has been a very solid TV for me, I am still using the original bulb. The only annoyance I have is sometimes when switching sources or resolutions, I will get stuck on "Invalid Source" or an inverted colored screen until I "turn-off and turn back on" the TV. This holds true if I use the internal TV switching or an external HDMI upscaling switcher.

Even with that minorly annoying issue, I am very glad I bought this TV and it has been well worth the $799 on spent on it at the time.

Maybe YOU should reread MY post. Where do you see where I criticized the Mitsubishi???? I was commenting on buying an extended warranty with BB...especially from one that might file for bankruptcy soon. Work on your reading comprehension before spouting from you mouth next time!

peepsiemom said:   PennState95 said:   Best Buy WON'T be around in 4 years. Bought my Toshiba 65" DLP from Circuit City and they went belly up after 6 months. Best Buy is going to have the same fate. Like years ago, you go into a CC store and there are more red shirts than customers. But the red shirts are standing around talking to each other instead of approaching customers. The red shirts have been replaced with blue...but it's the same results.

Why should we care whether BB will be around? You bought an inferior DLP (Toshiba) from a poorly run chain (CC). so? Mitsubishi's DLP's are better than the competition. Read the previous posts. Those criticizing Mitsu's DON'T OWN ONE, as Gud Spellr said. Is it a coincidence that the majority of Mitsu owners here seem to love them?

LORENW said:   NJDevilsfan said:   buster2 said:   60 hz, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Yes that IS correct

Thread crappers always find something to drop a buzz word, on something they do not understand

Read more and learn less about why he's incorrect regarding refresh rates and the 60hz refresh rate, some folks just have all the knowledge in the world wrapped up in their tiny little heads, http://hometheater.about.com/od/televisionbasics/qt/framevsrefre...

My 1985 Sony Trinitron is starting to have issues. Since I keep things a long time, if I were to get this would folks recommend picking up a few extra bulbs?

Site shows available for delivery in my area on Saturday Sept. 8. Delivery is $70. Ship to store would be free. Would it fit in my CRV? If I have it delivered will they set it up? That would almost be worth $70 in itself.

One the Overview page it says this set is Energy Star certified but when I clicked on Specifications under Energy Star Certified it says No.

Skipping 29 Messages...
I bought this TV for $500 or $600 from Amazon with free ship, no tax about 2 years ago. Unfortunately, the picture quality was very grainy. I tried multiple inputs, VGA, HDMI, component and any settings i could think of. The quality just wasn't as good as my no-name brand 32 inch 720P LCD TV. Maybe my TV was defective, because looking at the pics of the TV a user posted of them mounting it on their wall, their image looks quite clear and not grainy like mine. It sort of looked like when you go to a movie theater and can see the grainy film before it starts or a bad cam. Also the viewing angle would change depending on where you're standing. It wasn't like horrible picture quality, but it reminded me of my old CRT TVs. If you're standing more than 15 ft from it, I guess it would've been difficult to tell unless you're comparing it next to a plasma/LCD tv.

I'm used to having a wide viewing angle because I play those kinect games. I really wanted to like this TV because I got such a great deal on it on Amazon, but I asked them to pick it up and bought a plasma instead. I went to multiple stores to see how a DLP looks before purchase, but I couldn't find any stores carrying them.

in short:
-this is a great price to get 60 inch of screen size
-I'm skeptical the picture quality can compare to a plasma or LCD TV, but perhaps I just had a bad TV

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014