• Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Virgin Mobile users- Switch back to the $25 grandfathered plan!

This has been confirmed to work for the;
Optimus V
Elite
Wildfire
Venture
Triumph and a few other devices released before 5/27 should work.
The One V will not work.

Go to VirginMobileUSA.com, click "manage my account", then click "change plans". On the bottom, there should be a link that says "don't see the plan you want?" click that and you can switch to the $25 plan. This includes unlimited text, data, and 300 minutes.

Not sure if this is a glitch or limited time special, so hurry! If you want to activate one of the aforementioned phones, then activate it, don't pay for the $35 plan, and then switch to the $25 plan in the account page.

Thanks to cpcollector over @ S/D

Virgin Mobile
See Virgin Mobile promo codes that earn $17.50 FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

Samsung Intercept
Thanks Virgil27
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
I don't have Virgin Mobile. If I get $35 plan today and buy LG Optimus V or Elite phone, Can I go switch back to $25 Pla... (more)

sparkash (Dec. 06, 2012 @ 6:08p) |

If I currently have a Rumor Touch on a grandfathered $25 plan, and I want to switch to a used bb, will I need to start p... (more)

kiasbirdie (Dec. 30, 2012 @ 8:12p) |

My daughter took advantage of switching her $35 plan to $25 plan in Sept. 2012 on her Rumor Touch. I purchased the Optim... (more)

MaxieX (Jan. 27, 2013 @ 7:20p) |

Confirmed Working

1) Optimus V
2) Elite
3) Wildfire
4) Venture
5) Triumph
6) Rumor 2
7) Intercept
8) Restore
9) Mantra
10) S3000 Loft
11) Optimus Slider
12) Rumor Touch
13) Kyocera XTC

NOT Working

1) One V
2) Evo V
3) iPhone
4) Kyocera Rise
5) Any 4G Phone
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Wonder if this would work with a Blackberry Curve? If so, I may have to fire it up. I really like that phone.

awesome!! hope this works

someone try this with htc evo.. NOW.

Iphone?

According to this thread at HoFo:

Confirmed Working
1) Optimus V
2) Elite
3) Wildfire
4) Venture
5) Triumph (from another forum)

NOT Working
1) One V
2) Evo V

Thanks! It worked for me for the Optimus V.

I don't have a smartphone yet b/c of the mthly costs! I mainly want it for apps, internet, web. I don't really plan on sing if for talk or text. So I've also thought a tablet might be better option for me -- but I want it to also work in a power outage (ie, not just Wifi capable). Is there a tablet that has true pay as you go/need minutes for use when wifi not avail? (Is that called satellite use or cell use or GPS use when it for a tablet??). (I don't want Apple b/c no SD slot or flash). Is there such a tablet or am i dreaming? If no tablet like that, which of those 5 confirmed working (Virgin Mobile plan $25) phones would be best for apps/web?? Thank You!!

Looks like it worked for me with my Motorola Triumph. Have it set to activate with my next payment (tomorrow). Thanks!

*Edit: I just thought I should note that I started my account roughly 2 months after the $25 option was gone.

did you guys switch now, or chose the wait for next month option?

i opted for the "change now", and right now my account shows next month's charge is $35. anybody else see the same problem?

*edit*
never mind. i refreshed a few more times and now it shows $25. thanks OP!

I have an unused Optimus V when I switched to my Triumph and want to port my daughter's number over. Trying to see if I can get the $25 plan this way. Anyone started another account?

ConnieIL1 said:   I have an unused Optimus V when I switched to my Triumph and want to port my daughter's number over. Trying to see if I can get the $25 plan this way. Anyone started another account?At HoFo, the recommendation for new accounts is to select the $35 plan when you sign up for the account, but don't pay for it. Once the account is established and BEFORE you pay for it, switch to the $25 plan. Porting should not be affected by this strategy.

Awesome. Just worked for me for an Optimus Slider. Thanks, OP!

sweet, my monthly charge will be tonight at midnight so great timing for my (POS) Optimus V

Just switched my account and my son's both Optimus V from $35 to $25. Awesome! Thanks Op!

How is new customers can get this plan? Do we need to buy one of the store and then activate through online

Please help

VirginMobileUSA.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5667/session/L3RpbWUvMTM0NjcwNjEyMC9zaWQvZzEyUHJsNWw%3D

here's the link to the official Virgin Mobile ruling on which phones would work

the Optimus elite however was not on the list can anybody confirm whether that would work?

Awesome... I just did, hope they dont switch it back...
I have a problem with Triumph phone. I returned it back with the sd card and they keep sending me new phones and batteries and they dont work...They said that the sd card doesnt matter

Optimus ELite. Just switch from $35->$25. Awesome!

They must be onto something. Links to the account management no longer seem to work, so it seems they caught wind of this. Hope you guys will be able to keep this awesome deal.

Nevermind, was able to get in and do the change. Let's hope this sticks.

specialsnew said:   How is new customers can get this plan? Do we need to buy one of the store and then activate through online

Please help

4 posts above yours was my answer...

excoriatorb said:   recommendation for new accounts is to select the $35 plan when you sign up for the account, but don't pay for it. Once the account is established and BEFORE you pay for it, switch to the $25 plan. Porting should not be affected by this strategy.Quickest way to get set up correctly is exactly what you suggest. Buy the phone at a store and activate it online. A store will likely try to activate you for $35. Do it yourself and save.

I'm getting charged sales tax on the $25 plan.
I never qualified for the $25 plan before, bought my V too late.
I just used the $35 plan instead and that was the total price - $35.
But when I follow the posted directions to get the $25 plan, they are tacking on $2.03 for "tax."

Anyone else getting that? I'm in the state of nevada (both my billing address and my phone number are for NV).

JerryW said:   I'm getting charged sales tax on the $25 plan.
I never qualified for the $25 plan before, bought my V too late.
I just used the $35 plan instead and that was the total price - $35.
But when I follow the posted directions to get the $25 plan, they are tacking on $2.03 for "tax."

Anyone else getting that? I'm in the state of nevada (both my billing address and my phone number are for NV).

I assume that you are paying with a credit card? If so, yes, they charge tax.

If you are paying with a prepaid airtime card, they just credit you with the value of the card (even if you got the card for less than face value).

one question, I am not a customer of Virgin Mobile, can I apply it for now in order to be eligible? Thaks

Great deal! Successfully switched to $25 per month on my Motorola Triumph. Much better than paying $75 per month
like many people do, even though they do get better coverage and phone selection on Verizon and AT&T. Cannot beat the
price!

Just did it with my old Optimus V, seeing if a friend wants the phone/plan

Thanks. Worked on my Motorola Triumph.

Does anyone know if I could use my Samsung Galaxy S II (from Sprint) on Virgin Mobile Network? I am thinking of terminating my contract with Sprint and pay the ETF fees and go with Virgin Mobile Network.

Thanks!

yvonne said:   Thanks. Worked on my Motorola Triumph.

Your Triumph was triumphant?

I've been grandfathered, but if this works for others it's smoking,,,

Don't forget to use callingmart for your top-ups

sessizlik said:   one question, I am not a customer of Virgin Mobile, can I apply it for now in order to be eligible? ThaksYes.

excoriatorb said:   the recommendation for new accounts is to select the $35 plan when you sign up for the account, but don't pay for it. Once the account is established and BEFORE you pay for it, switch to the $25 plan.

ChrisMoneyMaker said:   Does anyone know if I could use my Samsung Galaxy S II (from Sprint) on Virgin Mobile Network? I am thinking of terminating my contract with Sprint and pay the ETF fees and go with Virgin Mobile Network. No. Virgin Mobile USA does not allow BYOD. You must use one of their devices to use their service.

cantstop said:   Don't forget to use callingmart for your top-upsAs of June, no more discount codes for VM topups there. For me (and people in states that charge sales tax on topups), it's a good deal because callingmart doesn't charge my state's ~9% sales tax.

GudSpellur said:   yvonne said:   Thanks. Worked on my Motorola Triumph.

Your Triumph was triumphant?

Yep. Mine and my husband's are now $25 per month. Our payments are due today and so it will go in affect in a couple more hours.

Worked with my Optimus V, $35 -> $25. Hope it sticks.

Thanks op!!!

I am currently grandfathered in on 3 phones, but wanted to add one more. When you look at the plan it says: Includes Unlimited Messaging, Email, Data, and Web. Includes 300 Anytime Minutes
Additional minutes are 10 each My grandfathered plans don't state this. I wonder if you are paying extra for minutes compared to the other plans.

Can I use this to tether with....and it would be free?

Skipping 179 Messages...
My daughter took advantage of switching her $35 plan to $25 plan in Sept. 2012 on her Rumor Touch. I purchased the Optimus Elite for her for Christmas. She was able to switch the $25 plan to her new phone without issue.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014