• Text Only
timone said:   this is the response i got from VirginMobile regarding this for the optimus elite

"Thank you for contacting Virgin Mobile Customer Care.

It is not possible to activate a LG Optimus Elite without having to
change your plan since this was the first handset model that required a
plan change. We are sorry about that. If there is anything else we can
do for you, please let us know and we will get back to you as soon as
possible.

If you need additional assistance, feel free to let us know how we can
assist further or contact us at 1-888-322-1122 (or *86 from a Virgin
Mobile handset). You can reach us Monday through Sunday from 4:00 AM ?
9:00 PM PST. As a kind reminder, always make sure to include your Virgin
Mobile phone number and PIN on all replies.

Thanks,

Tania V.
Virgin Mobile At Your Service
www.virginmobileusa.com"

original message:

"regarding upgrade rules for phones released before may 1st 2012 as I am
on the $25 plan I was wondering if the Optimus elite is still eligible
for the $25 plan and thereroe not subject to the upgrade rule that
started on may 27 2012"

Now as a few people mentioned according to previous posts, the optimus elite worked using this trick.

the official statement from Virgin Mobile site on their faqs under upgrade rules lists this:

"What are the new device upgrade rules?
Starting May 27, 2012, if you are using the $25, $40, or $60 Beyond Talk Plans and you upgrade to a Beyond Talk Smartphone launched after May 1, 2012 (including the HTC EVO™ V 4G), you will need to switch to the current $35, $45, or $55 Beyond Talk Monthly Plan. When you switch plans, you will need to pay for your new plan and you will lose any minutes, messages, and money in your balance. This will also change your monthly payment date. So if you are considering upgrading to a new smartphone, we recommend that you wait until right before your next monthly payment date to activate.

*The following smartphones launched before May 1, 2012 and are therefore not subject to the new device upgrade rules at this time: VentureTM, LG ® OptimusTM Slider, HTC ® Wildfire STM, Motorola TriumphTM, LG ® Optimus VTM, Blackberry ® CurveTM 8530."

OMG!! NEVER... that means NEVER EVER, call to ask about the deal with a rep !! That is like telling them to stop the deal !! Just read the steps outlined in the thread and either it works or it doesn't. If you read enough Fatwallet threads you will know NEVER call to verify a deal... just try it and accept the outcome as it is. Don't ruin it for others.

chc said:   JDubTrey said:   JerryW said:   I'm getting charged sales tax on the $25 plan.
I never qualified for the $25 plan before, bought my V too late.
I just used the $35 plan instead and that was the total price - $35.
But when I follow the posted directions to get the $25 plan, they are tacking on $2.03 for "tax."

Anyone else getting that? I'm in the state of nevada (both my billing address and my phone number are for NV).

I assume that you are paying with a credit card? If so, yes, they charge tax.

If you are paying with a prepaid airtime card, they just credit you with the value of the card (even if you got the card for less than face value).

Do you mean if you pay with a prepaid airtime card like Callingmart, then you just pay the $25 without any tax??
(Thanks in advance for a reply!)

Yeah.. if you buy a card from Callingmart or Bestbuy, the card adds $ to your account without tax. Then when you pay your bill with the balance on your account or your top up card, then you are not charged taxes/fees.

I was sucessfully add LG Optimus elite New activation with $25 plan.

Thanks OP

mogulman said:   Sheesh.. don't call and ask about it!!

I switched it on my Optimus Elite starting next month. It shows $25 due on 10/1. So far so good.

Same here. Been wanting to switch from my grandfathered $40/1200 minute plan to the 300 minute plan based on my usage, but at $5/month it wasn't worth it. At $15/month it is well worth it. Thanks OP.

dead?

specialsnew said:   I was sucessfully add LG Optimus elite New activation with $25 plan.

Thanks OP

What steps did you follow?

specialsnew said:   I was sucessfully add LG Optimus elite New activation with $25 plan.

Thanks OP

What steps did you follow?

mogulman said:   FYI.. Best Buy is selling VM topup cards for 5% off on their web-site. Immediate delivery. No tax in my area too.

thanks

There is a limit to their "unlimited" data, and I believe their terms and conditions say (essentially) "no tethering."

sfvera said:   dead?

still shows up for me as of 9am Pacific Time. I have a Motorola Triumph on the $40 plan.

BuonaDomenica said:   sfvera said:   dead?

still shows up for me as of 9am Pacific Time. I have a Motorola Triumph on the $40 plan.

i have a Motorola triumph in the $35 plan and I can not see the $25. Oh, well...

sfvera said:   BuonaDomenica said:   sfvera said:   dead?

i have a Motorola triumph in the $35 plan and I can not see the $25. Oh, well...

See the screen shot in this post from HF on where to find the link: http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1775917-Reappeared-25...

Thanks OP

I did the same thing coupled with $100 LG Elite, and $25 will be due next month.
Thanks, OP

Got a new number today, with $25 plan. Phone works. Text messaging works. But no internet. Upon power off/on I get a message saying "No Service". Anyone experienced this before? Should I call tech support?

EDIT: The phone is Optimus V.

rameshd said:   Got a new number today, with $25 plan. Phone works. Text messaging works. But no internet. Upon power off/on I get a message saying "No Service". Anyone experienced this before? Should I call tech support?

EDIT: The phone is Optimus V.

Does the phone get internet via WIFI? Go to settings and make sure you have WIFI checked "ON" and see if you get internet at least via WIFI.

Are you in an area with the 3G covereage? Sometimes I'm in an area of building that does not get good 3G coverage with Virgin Mobile.

Since you have already successfully subscribed to the $25/mo plan, you may need tech support to resolve the "no service" issue.

caseyt2003 said:   There is a limit to their "unlimited" data, and I believe their terms and conditions say (essentially) "no tethering."2 GB/month bandwidth limit, at which point your connection is throttled (slowed, rather than shut off) for the remainder of the month.

Tethering is against the TOS, but the only VM user at HoFo who has ever been called out for it was using an iPhone. FWIW, iPhone plans are NOT available for $25 and VM offers a bolt-on $15/month option for iPhone tethering.

4g too new for grandpa (plan)? Any of the eligible phones 4g

I bought the LG Optimus Elite yesterday and managed to sign up for the $25 plan with no problems. Thanks for the post, it's a great deal and it saves me a lot of money while still giving my son a cool phone with a data plan.

Worked! Thanks! LG Rumor2 24.88 no tax top up card via electronic delivery by WalMart (got it in less than 1/2hour): Sloppy Link ***YMMV Virgin was kind enough to give me $2.50 after...

juser said:   thc said:   Question: My wife's plan just went into a new month a few days ago. How exactly do you commit to the $25 plan without risking having to restart the month and pay immediately?

There is an option to start next billing cycle.

When you switch, it provides warnings that your phone will be unusable until you pay...that was scaring my wife off. I decided that if we had to throw away a month, so be it, it'd be a worthwhile investment (vs. them making the plan unavailable and we miss out)...ignored the warning, took the chance, and it all worked as hoped!

How do you buy the phone and not pay for the minutes. One post said buy the phone at the store and then activate on line. If I activate on line they want a credit card number. Help walk me through this.

mathfaster said:   sfvera said:   BuonaDomenica said:   sfvera said:   dead?

See the screen shot in this post from HF on where to find the link: http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1775917-Reappeared-25...

I had missed this ! Thanks so much. It worked today.

It worked for me on the 6th....but I dont know how long this deal lasts.
My LG Optimus Elite worked just fine!

Harsus said:   How do you buy the phone and not pay for the minutes. One post said buy the phone at the store and then activate on line. If I activate on line they want a credit card number. Help walk me through this.To "activate," you have to provide $25 for the first month of service. If you don't do that with a credit or debit card, the only other options are a Top Up Card, purchased at a retail store or a Top Up purchased at an online source like callingmart.com.

I was able to do this today on a brand new, never activated LG Optimus Slider that I bought on Black Friday last year as a back-up phone. I had decided to give it to my daughter and knew it would be on the $35 plan.

I activated the phone through the normal procedure and selected the $35 plan and pay via Top Up cards but did not enter a code to pay for the first month.

As part of activating, you create your pin to log into your account, and you do this before paying.

After bypassing payment, I was given the option to go back and edit what I had done. I chose this and was prompted to log into the account.

When I did this, my account showed $35 due, and, like an active VM account, I could select the "Change Plan" link.

I did this and was able to click the "Don't see the plan you want?" link and was presented with the option for the $25 plan just as described in the HF post.

After logging out and back in again, the account home page showed the balance due of $25 via Top Up credit.

I did this at 12:30 PM central time today.

Many thanks to the OP!

Op just switched our two Optimus V from the $35 to the $25 plan. U da man!

I have bought a new Optimus Elite from Target and opened a new account and the $25 plan worked for me.
Now I found the same phone at RadioShack for a little cheaper. If I replace the phone( both are Optimus phones )
with the one from RadioShack, will it affect the $25/pm plan? Thanks in advance.

bas157 said:   my (POS) Optimus V

androidforums.com/optimus-v-all-things-root/

forums.androidcentral.com/optimus-v-rooting-roms-hacks/

forums.androidcentral.com/optimus-v-rooting-roms-hacks/146144-rom-harmonia-2-09-18july12-iho-gingerbread.html

www.vmroms.com/index.php?topic=4.0

I must admit that I'm a rookie regarding Virgin Mobile and pre-paid plans in general.

Perhaps a frequent traveler who has been with VM long-term (before the $25 to $35 hike) may have the answer to this one:

Once the $25 plan is confirmed, must this $25 be paid every month in order to maintain this rate or will a lapse be acceptable? For example, if one were to travel internationally or wherever the Virgin Mobile network would be useless, could this $25 rate be preserved upon returning in a month (or 2 or whenever) or does it then default back to the $35 rate?

Thanks in advance!

drzeyas said:   I must admit that I'm a rookie regarding Virgin Mobile and pre-paid plans in general.

Perhaps a frequent traveler who has been with VM long-term (before the $25 to $35 hike) may have the answer to this one:

Once the $25 plan is confirmed, must this $25 be paid every month in order to maintain this rate or will a lapse be acceptable? For example, if one were to travel internationally or wherever the Virgin Mobile network would be useless, could this $25 rate be preserved upon returning in a month (or 2 or whenever) or does it then default back to the $35 rate?

Thanks in advance!

I believe you have 60 days from the end of your last active month to keep your number (and therefore your plan). You could, in essence, have the service paid for only in Jan, Apr, July, and Oct and keep the account active (though you won't get service in the other months).

JDubTrey said:   drzeyas said:   I must admit that I'm a rookie regarding Virgin Mobile and pre-paid plans in general.

Thanks in advance!

I believe you have 60 days from the end of your last active month to keep your number (and therefore your plan). You could, in essence, have the service paid for only in Jan, Apr, July, and Oct and keep the account active (though you won't get service in the other months).
60 days to keep the number, yes.
60 days to keep most plans, yes.
Not so sure about this plan.

I was able to get into this plan last night.

I have had the VM $0.18per min. for many years. Since I do not use my minutes, they roll over. Yesterday, I needed to Top-up and had a large balance. After reading about the $25, I decided to switch. I already had the Optimus V put away, which was purchased at Target on Black Friday for $50. I switched out my old phone for the Optimus V and plan, but did not add money to my acct. I went to BestBuy.com and purchased the $25 VM card on sale. When I went back to my VM acct, I found out that they applied $25 from my old balance to the new monthly plan. I was very happy, since I did not loose the money I had accumulated through the years. Plus, I still have more in my acct. and the $25 VM email code/card. On my acct. page, it says I can add money now instead of waiting to the last minute. It is good to know that if you are switching plans(per min./ Top-Up to monthly plan), any balance will not be lost. To not confuse anyone, you will not roll over any unused minutes the next month.

Even though I just began using the new phone/plan, I have been happy with the sound quality of the Optimus V and using the internet so far.

Thanks OP! Got a couple of Elites on Saturday at Target (will get price adjustment down to $95 each with Redcard sometime this week) because of their 90 day return policy (asked and was told I would only lose any unused minutes/balance on phone when returning). Last night I registered one of them to test all this out and skipped through entering any credit card info and then switched to the $25 plan (said $25 was due and that I was still on the $35 plan until I added $25). Went to WalMart online for their email delivery of $25 topup card (wasn't charged sales tax even though I live in MA, is that correct?) and received pin within 15 mins.
However, when I added the pin it said I still owed $10 even though it said I was on the $25 plan. Being late I decided to check again this morning before calling or anything, but luckily it had fixed itself now

Just a question. Noticed there is a $10 fee to change phone number, but it should be free to transfer your number from your other carrier, right? Even later down the road (as long as the other service is active)? Asking because I still have some time/balance left on Tmobile pay as you go. Thanks again!

aarzi said:   60 days to keep the number, yes.
That's the thing. Virgin Mobile hasn't officially acknowledged that this rate for the Beyond Talk plan exists again. The TOS hasn't even been updated.

excoriatorb said:   aarzi said:   60 days to keep the number, yes.
That's the thing. Virgin Mobile hasn't officially acknowledged that this rate for the Beyond Talk plan exists again. The TOS hasn't even been updated.

Since this "new" plan has been available for over a week, it is definitely not a "glitch" as some initially thought. I think they are experimenting with this "new" plan to see how many old customers they can retain and how many new customers they can attract. Personally, I switched two existing lines to this "new" plan and added a new line because of this.

I tend to agree it's not glitch at this point in time. Funny thing is they are not advertising this on their website anywhere.

So finally after enough thought I pulled the trigger and Amazon is going to deliver my elite today. I am already on grandfathered $25 plan with my crappy intercept.
1. Can someone please confirm that so called 'deal'/glitch is still active today before I open my package?
2. Can I straight away swap my phone and my $25 plan going to be retained, or its going to change my plan to $35 and I have to change back to $25 loosing my rest of the month?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Swapped from an Optimus V to an Optimus Elite ($100 from Amazon) last night, and kept my grandfathered $25 plan with no problem. Although I'd flashed many different ROMs on the OV, there was always something that didn't work right. I'm going to keep the Elite at stock for awhile. I paid the monthly charge on 9/7, and thought I would forfeit almost a month's charge. I was not charged to activate the new phone, and my end-of-month stayed the same. I was pleased, and the extra speed and expanded memory of the Elite is a pleasure.

Great! Thank you.
gbuskirk said:   Swapped from an Optimus V to an Optimus Elite ($100 from Amazon) last night, and kept my grandfathered $25 plan with no problem. Although I'd flashed many different ROMs on the OV, there was always something that didn't work right. I'm going to keep the Elite at stock for awhile. I paid the monthly charge on 9/7, and thought I would forfeit almost a month's charge. I was not charged to activate the new phone, and my end-of-month stayed the same. I was pleased, and the extra speed and expanded memory of the Elite is a pleasure.

Would there be any issues with getting this to work on a old phone? Can I buy a cl/eBay phone?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014