Disclaimer

See your life safe in one place
Disclaimer
3TB My Book Essential USB 3.0 & USB 2.0 External Hard Drive, $122.99 FS
At eCost.com
Link
My Book Essential External Hard Drive

Next generation storage and backup.
The world's number one selling hard drive now offers high capacity storage with both USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 connectivity for compatibility today and speed for the future.

WD quality inside and out
My Book External drives are the world's best selling drives. There's a reason. We've been making hard drives for 20 years and we know how to protect your data.

USB 3.0 plus USB 2.0
A single drive with universal compatibility today and next-generation speed for tomorrow. Use it with USB 2.0 now and step up to USB 3.0 speed when you're ready.

See your life safe in one place
WD SmartWare visual backup software provides a visual display of your backup as it happens so you know your data is safe.

Member Summary

3TB My Book Essential USB 3.0
Thanks Farfisa850
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
I just got mine. Didn't do such a great job opening it. And don't remember how to put the rubbers back on the drive. But... (more)

encript (Sep. 06, 2012 @ 6:22p) |

Received Mine.

knightimer (Sep. 07, 2012 @ 12:31a) |

Not sure how but I did this and it worked.

1. Go through eBates to eCost and add the $149.99 HD to your cart

2. Use the li... (more)

Flipit (Sep. 08, 2012 @ 6:40a) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

about 36% reviewers on amazon gave this a 2 and 1 stars with about 5 mos recent given it 1 star.

i've had several WD ext. hd and 2 failed on me. so buyers beware on this one.

I think this looks like a good deal. I was at Staples yesterday and it was 179.99

linrick said:   about 36% reviewers on amazon gave this a 2 and 1 stars with about 5 mos recent given it 1 star.

i've had several WD ext. hd and 2 failed on me. so buyers beware on this one.

Not sure what's up but same experience with me. I've had 3 of the 2tb mybooks fail witihin last 15 months. needless to say no more WD mybooks for me.

The one I have makes a good door stop, buyer beware, you've been warned!

A guy just found a bug in the driver for this drive which was messing his machine up pretty bad.

http://randomascii.wordpress.com/2012/09/04/windows-slowdown-inv...

He says if you have a My Book, return it. I'll say if you have one and really want to keep it, at least don't install the driver that comes with it.

Well I have over 10 TB of WD with movies/music etc.. on them and have been spinning them once every 2 months for 3 years with no failures so what is the deal?

Are you guys who have failures abusing them or are you Seagate reps trolling?

Flipit said:   Well I have over 10 TB of WD with movies/music etc.. on them and have been spinning them once every 2 months for 3 years with no failures so what is the deal?

Are you guys who have failures abusing them or are you Seagate reps trolling?

Same here, except I have 24TB of WD Greens all from MyBooks or Essentials. (4x 3TB drives in one server, and 2x 3TB and 2x 2TBs in another). So far, no failures *knock on wood*

Oh, and both of my lifetime TiVo Premiers have 2TB WD Greens in them now as well.

Perhaps it is the enclosures that are failing? To be honest I have never used them, I took the drives out of the enclosures before even firing them up the first time.

I have no failures either. I have the desk top version and the Wd passport portables..

Thanks OP, great find.
Was looking for one 3Tb for my Pogoplug for some serious remote backup.
IN41

I ordered one for my nas. Adding disks to zfs volumes are a pain once you set it up, hard to keep redundancy, not sure if I should have bought two.

I have a 1TB and a 2TB WD MyBook with no issues using either for well over a year now. I don't use the installed software.

Thanks, OP, the best deal I had seen so far was $149 for 3TB. Does anyone have experience with eCost?

I agree this is one of the best prices I seen ... and it an external drive.

Tried to order and kicks me out. When I call them they try to charge my $149.99. I told them to look in my cart it's $122.99. They don't care, it's $149.99. This is a hoax.I don't believe anyone that says they oredered one successfully. Let me know. Thanks.

Crainr1, quit being so negative, just because it didn't work for you doesn't mean everyone else in the world (or at least in this forum) is involved in a conspiracy to lie to you.

I have 3 of these and they work just fine, plus the one time one did die on me the WD warranty replaced it for free. However:
Subtotal $122.99
Shipping $0.00
Estimated Tax $9.69
Estimated Total $132.68
Tax is the deal breaker for me.

Are these caviar greens inside? Can I rip them out and use them as internal storage?

orderd one. worked for me.

I have had this drive for about 2 years and it's still going. I also have 4 other similar drives that are much older and still working.

hachir0ku said:   Are these caviar greens inside? Can I rip them out and use them as internal storage?

From one of the video, it just a regular sata drive with usb circuit board (ie USB + SATA bridge) So Yes,you can rip it out the hard drive and use it internally. Keep in mind that you void the warranty.

If you need tutorial on how to open up the enclosure

How to fully DISASSEMBLE a western digital MyBook essential edition external HDD
How To: Take Apart A Western Digital My Book Enclosure
Western Digital My Book essential edition 1TB
How to open WD My Book Essential USB 3.0 PCNix Toronto Computer Repair

sold out

I just got mine. Didn't do such a great job opening it. And don't remember how to put the rubbers back on the drive. But that doesn't matter so much it in my nas now.

Received Mine.

Not sure how but I did this and it worked.

1. Go through eBates to eCost and add the $149.99 HD to your cart

2. Use the link provided by Seraph007 above to add the $122.99 to your cart, delete the other if it is there and close the "eBates" window.

3. Make your purchase using the link with the special code to get the drive for $122.99 shipped.

The next morning I got an email from eBates updating by purchase and confirming my $2.00 and change Cash Back, sweet!!!!!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014