• Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Pogoplug Multimedia Connector, Black
http://www.adorama.com/COCPOGOP21.html?emailprice=t
Was 24.99

Was selling for $19.99 a few weeks back on JR

Adorama
See Adorama promo codes that earn 1.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

pogoplug
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

If you're going to hack this it's nice because the POGO-P21 has a SATA port on the MB.

Ok my searches return from here that Pogoplug Pro, V3 or B01 (P01/P21/P25/B01/B02/B03/B04) have the sata port.

This thing has wifi built in.. nice.
Would be perfect to just keep this somewhere and install archlinux + minidlna on it.

ETA: No it does not have wifi. I repeat.. no wifi. But Ethernet is just as good.

Pogoplug just started a promo where they give you a Pogoplug Classic for free if you sign up for their new Family plan, which gives you 100GB of storage on Amazon Glacier for $29/yr, 300GB for $49, or 1TB for $99. Link

musubi said:   Pogoplug just started a promo where they give you a Pogoplug Classic for free if you sign up for their new Family plan, which gives you 100GB of storage on Amazon Glacier for $29/yr, 300GB for $49, or 1TB for $99. Link
On Amazon Glacier US East, 100GB is $1.00 per month for the storage, plus data transfer in is free, and transfer out up to 10TB per month is free.

So basically Pogoplug is paying $12 for your use of the service (assuming they pay list prices), and giving you this product which sells for under $20 online, all for $29. They don't have to pay a retailer like Adorama any cut of the product sales and obviously their cost for the Pogo is less than $20 AND they must get a cut-rate price (or referral fee) from Amazon, so I bet they break even (or make a little) the first year, and then make quite a bit more the following years for people who stick with it.

Sounds like a good deal for Pogo, and probably a good deal for regular folks too.

Bought 1.
Will install ArchLinux and then minidlna on this thing.
Will save me $50-$60 very easily on electricity costs (that's including the purchase cost) by not having desktop as the dlna server.

musubi said:   Pogoplug just started a promo where they give you a Pogoplug Classic for free if you sign up for their new Family plan, which gives you 100GB of storage on Amazon Glacier for $29/yr, 300GB for $49, or 1TB for $99. Link

They've had the same/similar promo for a few months now, they also charged $9.95 for shipping.

Tempting, already have 3 but only one with SATA, I've decided I much prefer booting from SATA.

Any idea if the Pogoplug Classic in that promo will be a device with SATA or not??

I had some problems with FWCB that I posted here:

Did anyone else experience this?

Sucks...Box said P12, the unit says E02, no sata inside, more ram faster (relative?) single core processor.

got mine was an e02 inside also luckily the hack archlinux installer detected it and stopped. finally got it loaded and up and running arch linux pretty nice for $18

It was 18.50 for me. Thanks!

KayK said:   Bought 1.
Will save me $50-$60 very easily on electricity costs (that's including the purchase cost) by not having desktop as the dlna server.

how do you do that?

Schmide said:   Sucks...Box said P21, the unit says E02, no sata inside, more ram faster (relative?) single core processor.I got the same from J&R last week.

cnvrtble98 said:   KayK said:   Bought 1.

how do you do that?

Install archlinux on an external harddrive (http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv5/pogoplug-v2-pinkgray)
Install minidlna inside archlinux
Set up minidlna with the appropriate folders for the movies/music/photos
Insert movies/music/photos *** in the appropriate folder
Browse the movies/music/photos from your TV

Before, I would have to keep desktop computer on as it had the DLNA software. Now after I get the pogoplug and install archlinux on it, I will not have to keep desktop on and can keep just the pogoplug on.

LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySql, PHP) can also be installed inside archlinux.. and would be a good webserver for your website. I might try that one out.

*** Note: The movies / music / photos have to be compatible with the TV you will try to view it on. If it is a different format, it will not work. For Example: I can put a .mkv file in the folder.. but my Sony Bravia will not even show that file listed. .AVI's on the other hand will work well.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014