• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Fry's Electronics retail locations offer the 3-lb., current-generation Apple MacBook Air Intel Ivy Bridge Core i5 1.8GHz 13.3" Notebook, model no. MD231LL/A, for $999 (scroll down to find it; you can't get this price online). It features an Intel Core i5-3427U 1.8GHz Ivy Bridge dual-core processor, 13.3" 1440x900 LED-backlit widescreen LCD, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD, AirPort Extreme (802.11n wireless), Bluetooth 4.0, Facetime camera, Thunderbolt and USB 3.0, and Mac OS X 10.7 Lion. Deal ends September 13.
LINK

Member Summary

pic (2.64kB)
Thanks sartor
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:

Compare at $1199, not $1999 as posted in the headline. See here:
http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MD231LL/A?

l8360 said:   Compare at $1199, not $1999 as posted in the headline. See here:
http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MD231LL/A?

Good observation. Those silly FWF mods are being even more careless than usual this month. Hope they fix it soon.

compare at $1999 ?! lol i hope the mods here aren't hired from yahoo news!

If you are trying to get a good deal on a Macbook, head to a Best Buy and check out their open box deals. I just got an 11" MBA (2gig/64gig - older mind you) for $749 with black tie thrown in free.

The sales guy told me they are aggressively trying to get rid of older inventory as Apple will start charging them $400/month per unit unsold (on inventory). It was $999 retail, marked down to $899 open box, and I got it for $749.

Yes, this is the epitome of YMMVVVV! but good deals can be had with heavy negotiating. He started with "$830 is our cost, can't go below that." A quick visit to MacMall showed the same model for $749 shipped. After letting him know I was fully aware of the building I was standing in not being free, I went back and forth and got the deal.

BB is aggressively trying to get rid of open box items. Don't pay the price they are advertising. Negotiate and walk away with a deal.

Black Tie will replace it 10 months down the road (up to 12 months) if I spill water on it. Good piece of mind I'd say.

Besides, negotiating is fun!

coolbreeze, if yours is open box IMO it shouldn't cost the same as new-in-box product from reseller X.

I just glanced at the Apple Online Store refurbished section, and they also sell the same 2011 11" MBA also for $749. Personally I wouldn't touch any MBA with 2GB RAM.

Apple online also has the 2011 model bumped to 4GB/128GB flash for $829, which is a much better buy IMO. Or get the 2012 model (refurbished) with 4GB/64GB flash for $849. If you can live with the skimpy storage in the near term, you can slap in a better/bigger SSD in a couple years.

Just my two cents.

manly said:   coolbreeze, if yours is open box IMO it shouldn't cost the same as new-in-box product from reseller X.

I just glanced at the Apple Online Store refurbished section, and they also sell the same 2011 11" MBA also for $749. Personally I wouldn't touch any MBA with 2GB RAM.

Apple online also has the 2011 model bumped to 4GB/128GB flash for $829, which is a much better buy IMO. Or get the 2012 model (refurbished) with 4GB/64GB flash for $849. If you can live with the skimpy storage in the near term, you can slap in a better/bigger SSD in a couple years.

Just my two cents.

Yeah, I know I could have done better...but considering you can't normally haggle with a retail store, I'll take it. Most just pay the sticker without even asking, which was $899. I don't care though. It's 2nd travel machine and will work fine.

Also, B&M stores don't take kindly to demands for internet price matching. It's not free to have buildings all over the place, and most will simply say "no" to internet PM requests and essentially tell you go get lost. I feel I did good with the warranty that covers accidental damage being thrown in free. I could technically get a new unit within the year, providing I want to be shady about it. Nobody offers that for $749, even NIB.

It's literally brand new. 4 cycles on the battery. I don't care about the box, which would only take up room in my basement. Once I powered it on, it was as good as a factory sealed unit, IMO. The instant you unbox a new unit, it's the same.

I'm happy.

Not available in all Frys stores in the Los Angeles area

bouteill said:   Not available in all Frys stores in the Los Angeles area
don't know how far it is for you, but it appears to be available in the City of Industry location.

IIRC correctly they had this deal less than two months ago, so it might repeat again down the line.

Still Active!

Oops. My bad. MacBook Pro with same specs for $999 now.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014