• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I was hunting around again in the computer clearance section of WalMart (Reno, NV) hoping to find the mythical $180 Compaq laptop (which, surprisingly, I did, but at $200) when I saw this Gateway netbook marked down from $198 to $158. On Friday there was just one, but when I returned the next day they had eight of them out.

Granted, it is a netbook so there are limitations, and the reviews seem to be mixed (the 1GB RAM seems to be an issue). But $158 new would seem to be a good deal.

Here's the Walmart link and the Gateway one.

Gateway 10.1" LT4008u Netbook PC:

Key Features and Benefits:

Intel Atom N2600 processor
1.60GHz, 1MB L2 Cache

1GB DDR3 SDRAM system memory
Allows you to do the computer basics of web surfing, emails and documents

320GB hard drive
Store 213,000 photos, 91,000 songs or 168 hours of HD video and more

10/100 Fast Ethernet, 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN
Connect to a broadband modem with wired Ethernet or wirelessly connect to a Wi-Fi signal or hotspot with the 802.11b/g/n connection built into your PC

10.1" WXVGA LED-backlit display
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3600 with 64MB onboard memory and support for Microsoft DirectX 9

Additional Features:
0.3MP webcam with built-in microphone
6-in-1 memory card reader
3 x USB 2.0 ports, 1 x headphone jack, 1 x microphone jack, 1 x RJ-45 Ethernet port, 1 x VGA port, 1 x HDMI port with HDCP support
3-cell lithium-ion battery, up to 4 h battery life

Software:
Genuine Microsoft Windows 7 Starter Edition (To learn more about the features of Windows 7, click here)
Microsoft Office Starter 2010: Includes reduced functionality versions of Microsoft Word and Excel, with advertising. PowerPoint and Outlook are NOT included. Purchase Office 2010 today and get the most out of your new PC. (To learn more about the features of Office 2010, click here)
Norton Internet Security Trial
Gatway Recovery Management

Support and Warranty:
1-year parts and labor warranty
Restore discs are not included (unless specified by supplier). We recommend you use the installed software to create your own restore and backup DVD the first week you use the computer.

What's In The Box:
Power cord
3-cell lithium-ion battery
Quick Start Guide

Walmart
Need a Walmart coupon that earns 1.0% FatWallet Cash Back?
Member Summary

Gateway LT4008U Netbook
Thanks VBMcGB
Disclaimer
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

any sightings of the mythical $180 Compaq laptop in AZ??

both were regular price at two stores I checked in my area. I quit checking.

can anyone else confirm finding a clearance price on either of these?

$158 is a good price for LT4008u

anyone try osx yet? Its not on the chart

I think this one is pretty new. But it basically is a 4004u with a bigger hard drive. So if that worked for osx, perhaps so.

Is the RAM soldered to the motherboard os is it in a dimm slot that can be removed and upgraded to 2 or 4gb?

thenew3 said:   Is the RAM soldered to the motherboard os is it in a dimm slot that can be removed and upgraded to 2 or 4gb?

If you clicked the link in the post, you'd see:

Memory
Standard Memory 1GB
Maximum Memory 1GB
Memory Technology DDR3 SDRAM
Number of Total Memory Slots 1

Laziness knows no bounds...oddly, Crucial lists a 2GB chip as an option. I'll let you google that.

There's a video showing a guy installing RAM and while it seems a pain it can be done. Apparently there is no easy access from below. You need to remove the keyboard, remove some screws and then push out the bottom panel. Once that is done, you just pop out the memory. The guy on the video put in a 4GB stick, but the computer just recognizes 2GB. I know Gateway keeps saying 1GB is the max, but it is because they are still under the impression Windows Starter 7 only recognizes 1GB. Per Microsoft, they are wrong.

I stopped into 3 Walmarts here in Tucson, AZ, and 2 of the 3 stores had it for $198. The other was sold out... No dice here.

So does anyone know where this video is? if so send me a link to seedoubleyoutooware@gmail.com

Got one of these at my local WalMart in California for $130! Last one they had, it as in the back room, and I had to ask a guy to run the SKU.

I actually returned mine, because of a sticky ethernet port. But I was in the same one last week and they were back to $228! Go figure.

The video on Crucial is filed incorrectly. under this netbook you'll get this mismatched video http://www.youtube.com/embed/J-WB0SdfEnk maybe they're giving a general sense in the hopes that you can figure it out for yourself

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014