• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Klipsch Image S3 Graphite Gray In-Ear Noise-Isolating Headphones @ woot! - $19.99
Compare at $32.00
Shipping adds $5.00
Expires On: Sep 21, 2012 11:59pm

(FatWallet Deal Hunter staff posts are certified ad-free. No money, bribes, or candy have been accepted.)

Member Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Wow, so cheap!

Good price. Many conflicting reviews on Amazon. Some people rave about them and others say the sound is awful.

Is it just me or is it really foolish to say (as so many of the reviews state), "I hate these things! I will never buy any Klipsch product again!!!"

Wow, really? So a highly respected audio company makes a "dog" and now all their products are crap? Sheesh!

/rant

I'm amazed that these get rave ratings. These are one of the very few things I ever thought about returning from Amazon. The sound is very narrow and it sounds like you're listening to music from inside a box. I would not recommend these at all. I bought these since I wanted to get a feel how the S4 sounds like but was severely disappointed. If the S4s sound anything like these then I cannot understand where the rave reviews are coming from. I would stay away from the S3s for sure. They're not even worth half that price.

I recently had an old pair of Shure E2C monitors die. I was considering the S4s as a replacement, but instead went with the Shure SE215. IMHO, the SE315s weren't worth the extra $80 just to get a tuned port for bass and the iPhone remote in the cord set.

I'd jump on these if I hadn't ordered the S4i two days ago. Treptile, did you allow the ~60 hour burn in? I've seen loads of posts that say the driver loosens up after playing ~25-50% volume for 3 days and provides significantly better sound.

Yeah, I allowed for burn-in over 48hours but I don't think that would change the sound stage at all. The problem lies with design. The sound comes through a tube with the silicon ear pieces at the end. The sound is just hollow and sounds like you're listening to music through a tube or a box. It is a little hard to describe but it sounds like you're listening to the band playing in a hallway but without the echo. I will say that they're not the most horrible sounding earphones, but just not worth the price. The sound is clear and you do get decent bass and most people would probably be okay with the sound, but after listening and owning other brands, I was just severely disappointed in these Klipsch earphones. Definitely not worth the asking price. You can get much better sound from other brands like the Sony EX series or the even the JBuds from Amazon. They sound many times better than these S3s. I would even recommend the Monoprice Earphones ID#8320 for ~$7. Those are actually amazing for the price.

TREPTILE said:   Yeah, I allowed for burn-in over 48hours but I don't think that would change the sound stage at all. The problem lies with design. The sound comes through a tube with the silicon ear pieces at the end. The sound is just hollow and sounds like you're listening to music through a tube or a box. It is a little hard to describe but it sounds like you're listening to the band playing in a hallway but without the echo. I will say that they're not the most horrible sounding earphones, but just not worth the price. The sound is clear and you do get decent bass and most people would probably be okay with the sound, but after listening and owning other brands, I was just severely disappointed in these Klipsch earphones. Definitely not worth the asking price. You can get much better sound from other brands like the Sony EX series or the even the JBuds from Amazon. They sound many times better than these S3s. I would even recommend the Monoprice Earphones ID#8320 for ~$7. Those are actually amazing for the price.

You did not have them in your ears properly or they were defective. Try some other size tips and play around with them a bit to see if you can get a good fit.

You can also make some foam tips with cheap earplugs from any Drugstore that will be much more forgiving as far as placement. I can't stand silicone tips and find that "foamies" are more comfortable, sound better and prevent a vacuum from forming.

I tried all the tips and fiddled with the fit for days. I've never had any problems on my many other earphones. Maybe they don't fit my ears. And audio is subjective, what may sound good to me maybe not the same for you. If you're happy with the sound from the S3s, that's great but I did not like them at all. Maybe I'll revisit the S3s and give them another try sometime, but I'm currently enjoying the Monoprice earphones much more.

I've owned the S-3s for about two months now, and am VERY pleased with them (even though I paid much more for them than this offer).
Treptile: I was initially unhappy with the sound too, but after allowing them to 'Burn In' properly I couldn't be happier.
Suggestion:
Make sure the line on the silicon ear piece is aligned with the black dot on the earphone.
Be absolutely sure that you have them in the proper ear. The R and L markings are difficult to see, so I simply hold the buds side by side in front of me and make sure they angle inward toward each other before placing them in my ears. They should be barely noticeable if seated correctly.

I was able to get the S4 headphones for 19.99 a month ago on a clearance at the music store f.y.e. in new jersey at a mall

Check6 said:   I've owned the S-3s for about two months now, and am VERY pleased with them (even though I paid much more for them than this offer).
Treptile: I was initially unhappy with the sound too, but after allowing them to 'Burn In' properly I couldn't be happier.
Suggestion:
Make sure the line on the silicon ear piece is aligned with the black dot on the earphone.
Be absolutely sure that you have them in the proper ear. The R and L markings are difficult to see, so I simply hold the buds side by side in front of me and make sure they angle inward toward each other before placing them in my ears. They should be barely noticeable if seated correctly.

I've made the proper alignments on the ear pieces also because I noticed the lines underneath each ear piece and I initially thought that might be the problem but that didn't help. Maybe I'll revisit the S3s sometime and try to create some custom ear pieces.

To anyone still keeping up with this thread, I thought I'd give an update after a little revisit with my S3s. I have since purchased some headphone amps that I previously did not have when I purchased the S3s. With the Fiio amp the S3s sound much better, with added punch in bass and clarity to the highs. The narrow soundstage is still there
compared to my other headphones, but if you don't mind that and are looking into maybe a headphone amp sometime down the road, then the S3s aren't too bad.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014