• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
www.bestbuy.com

ASUS 14" Laptop $299.99

SKU 5732421 (blue)

SKU 5732494 Lime Green

NOTE- this laptop DOES NOT Have a DVD/optical drive.

Lim Quantities/no rcs

STARTS SUN 9/23

Best Buy
See Best Buy discounts that earn 1.5% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

Asus X401A-RGN4 (50.42kB)
Thanks UncleRico
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
the i3 and the b970 aren't all that different in performance.

The most significant differences between this Asus and the ... (more)

Dinkytoy (Sep. 25, 2012 @ 8:20p) |

Got this 5 months ago for 299. Haven't seen it near that price since. No rhyme or reason to these deals it appears. Thou... (more)

in2dadark (Sep. 27, 2012 @ 6:46p) |

Found an open box green one for $261 so anyone interested might want to check your local stores.

Dinkytoy (Sep. 29, 2012 @ 10:45a) |

Asus (X401A-RBL4)14" Laptop w/ Intel Pentium B970 Dual Core

Intel Pentium B970 Dual Core (2.3GHz, 2MB L3 Cache)
14" (1366 x 768) LED Backlit Display
UMA Graphics
4GB DDR3 RAM
320GB 5,400RPM Hard Drive
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
6 Cell Lithium-Ion Battery
4.1 Pounds

3.7/5 stars based on 24 buyer reviews.
Staff Summary

Price is active now

Basset said:   Price is active now

Price Active for Black and not for green.

not a great deal, An outdated processor

gigyb said:   not a great deal, An outdated processor

OK then,

show me a better deal at $299 for a 14" lightweight laptop?

gigyb said:   not a great deal, An outdated processor

An Intel B970 is just fine (for most) and specially at the price point posted . http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Pentium+B970+%40+2...

MISTERCHEAP said:   gigyb said:   not a great deal, An outdated processor

OK then,

Not quite $299 but only $360 shipped for a 14" with 6+ hr battery life:
Click

active for blue, not green

ryanmumnea said:   MISTERCHEAP said:   gigyb said:   not a great deal, An outdated processor

OK then,

Click

also a good deal, if $360 is in your budget. Some people just like a back-up laptop to travel with, don't want to spend much.

Please note- NO optical drive

Neurotic1 said:   Please note- NO optical drive

clearly listed in the op. please read.

MISTERCHEAP said:   ryanmumnea said:   MISTERCHEAP said:   gigyb said:   not a great deal, An outdated processor

OK then,

Click

also a good deal, if $360 is in your budget. Some people just like a back-up laptop to travel with, don't want to spend much.

$60 Difference is worth the upgrade for a better experience. Either you can spend $300 and be stuck with a slow laptop or pay extra $60 and have a better experience. Now days people waste $60 within few hours by eating out. So I personally don't feel like additional $60 is too much ...especially if a new laptop lasts for the next two years. It's like a buying a car with or without heated seats...pay little extra and get a warm seat during the cold winter....also when you put the car on the market for a sale...it will sell better and may get better pricing. So bottomline..... don't regret later for not spending extra $60 ...if extra $60 bucks won't put you a debt.....go for it!

docjoo said:   MISTERCHEAP said:   ryanmumnea said:   MISTERCHEAP said:   gigyb said:   not a great deal, An outdated processor

OK then,

Click

$60 Difference is worth the upgrade for a better experience. Either you can spend $300 and be stuck with a slow laptop or pay extra $60 and have a better experience. Now days people waste $60 within few hours by eating out. So I personally don't feel like additional $60 is too much ...especially if a new laptop lasts for the next two years. It's like a buying a car with or without heated seats...pay little extra and get a warm seat during the cold winter....also when you put the car on the market for a sale...it will sell better and may get better pricing. So bottomline..... don't regret later for not spending extra $60 ...if extra $60 bucks won't put you a debt.....go for it!

For the most part, I agree.

However, remember, FRY's is only a west coast chain. Some people like to deal with a local B&M in case they have a problem (need to return it, etc), so that aspect may not be worth $60 to some for a 'better experience'.

I'm not disagreeing with you at all, it's just a case of what works for you and what you need the laptop for or can afford. If it's a travel laptop to surf, check email, etc, I'm sure the $299 is more than adequate to do this. If you need your machine to do more and this one won't adequately service your needs, by all means, spend the xtra money and get the better Fry's model.

Yea slower cpu, but 4.1lb for 14" is pretty nice.

I just bought this laptop last weekend.. regular price is $330.
Runs pretty smooth.. keyboard feels a little weird.. but that's maybe because I'm too used my 6 year old Toshiba's keyboard.

That brings me to this question : If I take my receipt, will they do price adjustment?

I'm waiting for i3 lappy to drop to this price point then I'll bite. Prolly by BF time and won't have to pay extra for Win8. The most likely catalyst for a recent rash of low end notebooks to be put on sale.

MISTERCHEAP said:   However, remember, FRY's is only a west coast chain. Some people like to deal with a local B&M in case they have a problem (need to return it, etc), so that aspect may not be worth $60 to some for a 'better experience'.

I guess those of us in Illinois, Georgia, Texas etc. don't rate . I'm not on the west coast and both of my desktop computers were purchased at Frys, one going back 8 years.

http://www.frys.com/ac/storelocator/index.jsp

Outdated processor. I bought a HP laptop with i3 last year for $330. Why not wait a couple of months for an ultra-book with a little more money?

tjiangnet said:   Outdated processor. I bought a HP laptop with i3 last year for $330. Why not wait a couple of months for an ultra-book with a little more money?

was it 14" and weighed 4lbs?

MISTERCHEAP said:   docjoo said:   MISTERCHEAP said:   ryanmumnea said:   MISTERCHEAP said:   gigyb said:   not a great deal, An outdated processor

OK then,

Click

However, remember, FRY's is only a west coast chain. Some people like to deal with a local B&M in case they have a problem (need to return it, etc), so that aspect may not be worth $60 to some for a 'better experience'.

I'm not disagreeing with you at all, it's just a case of what works for you and what you need the laptop for or can afford. If it's a travel laptop to surf, check email, etc, I'm sure the $299 is more than adequate to do this. If you need your machine to do more and this one won't adequately service your needs, by all means, spend the xtra money and get the better Fry's model.

Exactly.
And this is a good deal.

MISTERCHEAP said:   docjoo said:   MISTERCHEAP said:   ryanmumnea said:   MISTERCHEAP said:   gigyb said:   not a great deal, An outdated processor

OK then,

Click

Exactly.
And this is a good deal.

bru20 said:   MISTERCHEAP said:   However, remember, FRY's is only a west coast chain. Some people like to deal with a local B&M in case they have a problem (need to return it, etc), so that aspect may not be worth $60 to some for a 'better experience'.

I guess those of us in Illinois, Georgia, Texas etc. don't rate . I'm not on the west coast and both of my desktop computers were purchased at Frys, one going back 8 years.

the vast majority of their stores are WEST of the Mississippi. I think most of us east coasters use the Miss River as the divide line for West vs East.

KayK said:   I just bought this laptop last weekend.. regular price is $330.
Runs pretty smooth.. keyboard feels a little weird.. but that's maybe because I'm too used my 6 year old Toshiba's keyboard.

That brings me to this question : If I take my receipt, will they do price adjustment?

Definitely. I have done price adjustment with them before on a phone I bought from them.

MISTERCHEAP said:   bru20 said:   MISTERCHEAP said:   However, remember, FRY's is only a west coast chain. Some people like to deal with a local B&M in case they have a problem (need to return it, etc), so that aspect may not be worth $60 to some for a 'better experience'.

the vast majority of their stores are WEST of the Mississippi. I think most of us east coasters use the Miss River as the divide line for West vs East.

I certainly will not argue with MISTERCHEAP but you did say "only a west coast chain". My store is east of the Mississippi, so certainly not west even by your definition.

I'm sure people can figure it out but I wanted to point out that they do have stores all over the country. Obviously not convenient for everyone but if there is a store nearby they can get the deals even if they are B&M only. Like I did for my two desktop computers.

bru20 said:   MISTERCHEAP said:   bru20 said:   MISTERCHEAP said:   However, remember, FRY's is only a west coast chain. Some people like to deal with a local B&M in case they have a problem (need to return it, etc), so that aspect may not be worth $60 to some for a 'better experience'.

I certainly will not argue with MISTERCHEAP but you did say "only a west coast chain". My store is east of the Mississippi, so certainly not west even by your definition.

I'm sure people can figure it out but I wanted to point out that they do have stores all over the country. Obviously not convenient for everyone but if there is a store nearby they can get the deals even if they are B&M only. Like I did for my two desktop computers.

yep, technically you are correct, and you are lucky. I wish FRY's had locations around here, see many great deals posted for them. true, most items can be shipped, sometimes shipping is free or not expensive, but some deals are B&M only however.

The only problem with this laptop is that the iPhone 5 has a better resolution and a faster processor and it is cheaper.

Iphone 5 is NOT $300!

If you do it THAT way, then I'll "sell" you this computer for $20/month for 2 years. . . (wow, the computer is only $20!)

that's affordable to earn this. so great deals thanks for sharing

MISTERCHEAP said:   Neurotic1 said:   Please note- NO optical drive

clearly listed in the op. please read.

Thank you for your kindly reminder.

ryanmumnea said:   MISTERCHEAP said:   gigyb said:   not a great deal, An outdated processor

OK then,

Click

Now thats a good deal (though in store only).

Not to mention
-MUCH Better Processor
-More L3 Cache
-with opt drive
-Multi-in-1 Digital Media Card Reader
-Bluetooth® 2.1+EDR (Enhanced Data Rate)
-Dolby® Advanced Home Theater® v4 Audio Enhancement
-High Definition Audio Support
- USB 3.0 Port
- HDMI™ Port with HDCP Support
-9 hr battery

Also look at http://www.fatwallet.com/Best-Buy-coupons/asus-x44l-bbk4-14-lapt...

forzaINTER said:   MISTERCHEAP said:   docjoo said:   MISTERCHEAP said:   ryanmumnea said:   MISTERCHEAP said:   gigyb said:   not a great deal, An outdated processor

OK then,

Click

Exactly.
And this is a good deal.

don't waste $300

KayK said:   I just bought this laptop last weekend.. regular price is $330.

It will runs smooth until u start installing more apps and running them.

Thanks OP, needed a laptop today and this fit the bill!

Don't forget the $20 off $200+ AMEX promo for Best Buy

the i3 and the b970 aren't all that different in performance.

The most significant differences between this Asus and the Acer at Frys are..

the Asus is considerably lighter.

the Acer has a dvd drive and more battery.

Got this 5 months ago for 299. Haven't seen it near that price since. No rhyme or reason to these deals it appears. Thought for sure I'd be able to get a second by for a bit less even.

Found an open box green one for $261 so anyone interested might want to check your local stores.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014