DPMS Oracle AR-15 Flat top $600 shipped

Archived From: Expired Deals
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Great rifle for this price point. This is NOT the Sportical.

http://www.kygunco.com/products2.cfm/id/36744/name/dpms-panther-...

If interested... The Sportical is also on sale... $550 shipped
http://www.kygunco.com/products2.cfm/id/32901/name/dpms-panther-...

Member Summary

DPMS Panther Oracle 5.56 Rifle 16 Barrel 30 Round Black
Thanks Valtron9000
Disclaimer
No sights or rails to mount scope and additional $100 cost making it effectively $719
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
    • Manufacturer › DPMS
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

As a relative newbie to these black guns, what's the main difference between the two? I see the cheaper of the two is minus a fwd assist and a dust cover.... is that it?

Angryblues said:   As a relative newbie to these black guns, what's the main difference between the two? I see the cheaper of the two is minus a fwd assist and a dust cover.... is that it?

Yep, that's it

While these two options are important in certain applications, they are not as important if you are just target shooting.

For this price, you can always upgrade the receiver later, if needed for about $100.
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/ARR-971

that sure is a good price! but is the DPMS brand a good quality rifle?

Northerner26 said:   that sure is a good price! but is the DPMS brand a good quality rifle?

DPMS is a great quality rifle. Most people assume that since they are cheaper, they are lower quality, when in reality, DPMS is one of only a few companies in the U.S. that makes their own lowers and parts, which saves alot of $$, and probably 75% or more of the other Rifle "Makers" actually buy their parts and lowers from DPMS and engrave their own markings and just assemble them. THE owners of DPMS own Para Ordnance USA, Marlin, Bushmaster, and Remington as well as a few more..

Certain DPMS are in fact very well made weaponry,just the ones he's showing here are the lower end while the Del-ton is a much better gun overall as shown by his own admittion of replacing or upgrading as he called it the Oracle with a Del-ton upper, take it for what its worth but the Del-Tons the way better deal even with all his teenage friend hitting the red button on me

Angryblues said:   As a relative newbie to these black guns, what's the main difference between the two? I see the cheaper of the two is minus a fwd assist and a dust cover.... is that it?

Unless your in a combat situation (which I'm assuming your not) You will never need either as the receiver is closed unless firing and these rarely jam up. If you are planning on it as a home defense weapon you won't need them either as well as hunting or target practice. Its an oddball item manufacturers put on to try to get you to spend more money so your weapon looks like its milspec and grows hair on your chest,LOL Its totally unecessary in order for the weapon to function proprerly and the wannab'es that have never seen real combat think ya have to have it for your gun to be cool. You'll hear others espout differently about how this will happen and that but its already been debunked for yrs by pro's who shoot these weapons on a regulars basis. Don't fall for all the hype,but the Del-ton deal is the better gun for the money by far

buster2 said:   Certain DPMS are in fact very well made weaponry,just the ones he's showing here are the lower end while the Del-ton is a much better gun overall as shown by his own admittion of replacing or upgrading as he called it the Oracle with a Del-ton upper, take it for what its worth but the Del-Tons the way better deal even with all his teenage friend hitting the red button on me

Actually, i admitted nothing, I just offered a cheap upgrade to the sportical, if he later wanted to upgrade the receiver, and the Del-Ton fit the bill as a cheap upgrade. Del-Tons are no better than DPMS.. If you truly knew half of what you believe you do, you'd be dangerous. Here is a free insider tip... Most of Del-Ton parts are made by DPMS... I try to help people, not hinder and make stuff up.

buster2 said:   Certain DPMS are in fact very well made weaponry,just the ones he's showing here are the lower end while the Del-ton is a much better gun overall as shown by his own admittion of replacing or upgrading as he called it the Oracle with a Del-ton upper, take it for what its worth but the Del-Tons the way better deal even with all his teenage friend hitting the red button on me

I'm always open to hearing about other products... but walking on the stage like Kanye West at the grammys an yelling "yo yo yo I'm a let you finish but Del-ton it the real deal, DPMS is shit, and I know what I'm talking baout just take my word for it," without telling me why and backing it up with specific evidence is getting tiresome.

If you have some online reviews, videos or some detailed experiences as to why it is better please share. Call me a skeptic but I'm not about to take some anonymous FW members opinion as gospel.

Use the net and learn a lot more than I can put down here in print to find out why Del-Tons are a better unit than DPMS, plenty of reviews available for both Try ar15.com for starters, Tampa shoot and northern,just stating facts about the weapons check it out

buster2 said:   Use the net and learn a lot more than I can put down here in print to find out why Del-Tons are a better unit than DPMS, plenty of reviews available for both Try ar15.com for starters, Tampa shoot and northern,just stating facts about the weapons check it out

That is sad, and a cheap cop out... You are not stating facts, you are telling us to read other peoples opinions (and everyone on the net hates everything). How about your opinion or real life experience with these weapons. That would go alot farther than "Use the net" because we all know that they can't put anything on the net that isn't true... Telling us to research gun forums is pretty much useless, because they are filled with "Mine is better than yours" people, and NOTHING is better than their guns. Just a free tip, talking about what you know, is a fact... talking about what other people know is just stupid.

If you just state your facts about your experience, you wouldn't have to keep trying to defend yourself. If you don't know, just say so, we don't care. But, posting nothing valuable on a deal forum is equally as useless to everyone...

buster2 said:   Use the net and learn a lot more than I can put down here in print to find out why Del-Tons are a better unit than DPMS, plenty of reviews available for both Try ar15.com for starters, Tampa shoot and northern,just stating facts about the weapons check it out

Remember that old saying... "If you have nothing useful to say, say nothing."

This is a deal site, not a review site, and people are intelligent enough (for the most part) to do their own research.

Go ahead and give me a red buster2..

I have purchased DPMS Oracle from kygunco few days ago, though I opted for a slightly more expensive version here: http://www.kygunco.com/products2.cfm/id/61475/name/dpms-oracle-t... For ~$70 more I got a quad rail mounting system plus removable flip-up sights, both features I wanted so it was a no-brainer decision. Though I consider myself to be a pretty experienced and competent shooter I hesitated still since it was my first AR, therefore I have nothing else to compare it to. So, here's my brief take on this rifle.

I'll start off with the negative points, since there are only two I ran into:

1) Stock. Absolutely positively the worst stock I have ever used on a rifle. As you can see from the picture it has a weird angle of the butt plate, away from the shooter. It won't take you long to develop a sore shoulder, since the entire time the bottom corner of the butt plate will be kicking you every time you pull the trigger.

2) Finish/paint seems rather flimsy. I needed to rest my rifle for few seconds, so I put it down on the solid floor propped against a coffee table, but due to the weird shape of the stock ($%#%#%%!!!) my rifle fell to the floor, and on it's way down the barrel rubbed against the edge of the table and now has a "nice" shiny scratch. I was really taken aback how easy it was to scratch. There is no metal damage, just the paint, but still...

Now on to the good points:

1) Solid construction. When I was researching my first AR I have noticed that many of the budget priced AR's had polymer receivers which made the feel like toys. I can not speak to the actual reliability of polymer receivers, but those rifles felt too toyish to me so I passed on them. Not so with DPMS; it's solid metal. Good fit all around, with not rattling or wobbling observed, yet.

2) Rifle came supplied with two military grade magazines and hard rubber rail covers. Another nice touch was the inclusion of the 25 meter zero target, though for whatever reason DPMS printed it on pink paper.

3) As I said earlier, my rifle came with flip up sights. Fo whatever reason DPMS mounted the front sight on the rail, instead of the gas lock where it belongs. Luckily, an easy fix. Upon doing little research I found that these are manufactured by UTG and can be purchased separately on Amazon here and here. By the way, I was really amazed just how many AR accessories can be found on Amazon.

4) This past Friday I took it to the range for the first time and fired 100 rounds through it. Sixty rounds of Tula lacquered steel case and forty rounds of PMC Bronze brass case, all where spit out without a single FTE or FTF. Trigger pull was crisp but not at all heavy.

Along with my rifle I picked up CMMG 22LR conversion kit that they have on sale for $129 (here) and I must say that it's the best accessory for your AR. I should appx 100 rounds of cheapo Winchester bulk ammo without a single hick up. By the way, speaking of ammo. If you are going to any range that allows steel cased ammo, then look no further then your local WalMart. $4.97 for box of 20 rounds comes out even cheaper then bulk prices online. If your range mandates brass casing then PMC Bronze at Cabelas would be your best bang for the buck.

These are just my personal observations, therefore they may differ from yours.

sofakinglame said:   
This is a deal site, not a review site, and people are intelligent enough (for the most part) to do their own research.

WELL SAID!!!

i was out to WalMart today and their new sales flyer was showing a bunch of hunting gear and a bunch of guns and a few of them being:
DPMS Sportical Rifle = $597
Sig Sauer M400 SRP w/ scope = $897
Colt M4 = $1097

went and talked to guy behind gun counter and i asked how long it takes to order one in and he said they dont carry them, you just order off website!
(DORKS should not be selling guns at WalMart)

Please remember our target is to stay on topic. Shoot straight, everybody.

as a former firearms professional, i was privy to mfg. "alerts." one of these had to do with using lacquered, steel-case ammo in AR's. in a word it said, "DON'T!"
seems the heat & chamber press. would literally melt the lacquer onto the chamber wall. after a while the fired case would become hopelessly stuck in the chamber, requiring pretty extreme measures to extract. maybe they fixed the problem? i personally wouldn't risk it.

sofakinglame said:   buster2 said:   Use the net and learn a lot more than I can put down here in print to find out why Del-Tons are a better unit than DPMS, plenty of reviews available for both Try ar15.com for starters, Tampa shoot and northern,just stating facts about the weapons check it out

Remember that old saying... "If you have nothing useful to say, say nothing."

Go ahead and give me a red buster2..

A cheap gun for a low price is not a deal. You come off as attempting to be the arbiter of what is a valid comment.

Geez Thanks for digging up a dead THread from NOV

Since last few days, gun nuts have taken over the FW HD.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014