• Text Only
Last year I got the credit automatically just two days after small business saturday on my BAC AMEX. No such luck this year, and from the look of things, I doubt I'll get the credit without having to raise a stink with AMEX CS. I think AMEX is on the hook here. After all, this IS an AMEX promotion and they did let us register on their website and accepted our BAC AMEX cards as eligible to participate in the promotion.

I registered four cards, two on my Delta AMEX and two on my Hilton AMEX. I made 4 separate purchases, and all 4 credits within a few days the next week.

hpmaster said:   

if you can:

call these restaurants again, now that SBS is over and ask the same questions...

Maybe they just didn't want to accept on Saturday knowing that they'd have to reimburse or something like that.

waiting for a reply..hpm.

There is no incremental cost for the business to participate in Small Business Saturday.

EradicateSpam said:   hpmaster said:   

if you can:

call these restaurants again, now that SBS is over and ask the same questions...

Maybe they just didn't want to accept on Saturday knowing that they'd have to reimburse or something like that.

waiting for a reply..hpm.

There is no incremental cost for the business to participate in Small Business Saturday.

You mean aside from being used by a credit card company as a method to advertise the American Express? Oh and the fees that the merchant inevitably pays the processors in order to take the credit cards? The fees that include promotions like SBS into the cost of doing business?

Participating in Small Business Saturday DOES have a cost and it's being forced onto small businesses and not just ones that WANT to participate in a marketing ploy by a huge credit card corporation.

Small Business Saturday is a joke created by AMEX to profit them and only them, we've had them come into our stores to try to push SBS marketing material and they don't care about small businesses, they only care about getting the money from billions of transaction fees and getting theirs.

It should be honestly labeled American Express Saturday, it needs to stop parading on the backs of small businesses without their consent.

technolich said:   Small Business Saturday is a joke created by AMEX to profit them and only them

My family went to a restaurant because of this promotion. The restaurant made money. AMEX lost money. We spent some additional money, but with Visa, not AMEX.

I called about not getting the credit from a purchase with my Citi AMEX. They told me they would manually apply a credit, but that Citi does not participate in the promo. Sounds like bad info to me--shouldn't have been able to register my card if it were ineligible.

Um, I got the credit automatically with my Citi AMEX, 3rd year in a row. Are you sure you did everything right?

musicdef13 said:   Um, I got the credit automatically with my Citi AMEX, 3rd year in a row. Are you sure you did everything right?
Sure. I went to the sign-up site, entered my card info, and got confirmation. Again, awful customer service on Citi's part for claiming they don't participate. The first rep I talked to said she wasn't even aware of the promo and had to go to a supervisor for clarifiication.

yoregano said:   Sure. I went to the sign-up site, entered my card info, and got confirmation. Again, awful customer service on Citi's part for claiming they don't participate. The first rep I talked to said she wasn't even aware of the promo and had to go to a supervisor for clarifiication.I don't understand why you expect them to know about it. They're not the one sponsoring it, and you don't sign up for it at their site. The credit comes from AMEX. That it works is a result of AMEX honoring it on cards that they do not issue. I wonder if AMEX even contacts their other card issuers to make them aware of it.

technolich said:   You mean aside from being used by a credit card company as a method to advertise the American Express? Oh and the fees that the merchant inevitably pays the processors in order to take the credit cards? The fees that include promotions like SBS into the cost of doing business?

Participating in Small Business Saturday DOES have a cost and it's being forced onto small businesses and not just ones that WANT to participate in a marketing ploy by a huge credit card corporation.

Small Business Saturday is a joke created by AMEX to profit them and only them, we've had them come into our stores to try to push SBS marketing material and they don't care about small businesses, they only care about getting the money from billions of transaction fees and getting theirs.

It should be honestly labeled American Express Saturday, it needs to stop parading on the backs of small businesses without their consent.
So are we to assume from this that your stores do not accept American Express? Or do you just refuse to take American Express cards on SBS to protest it?

I'm really amused by your post, since the small businesses where I spent my $300 at were very happy to have my business since in most cases it was money they would not have had otherwise.

I agree with billrubin. I'm not sure if I understand how having an additional sale from me is worse than having no sale at all.

billrubin said:   yoregano said:   Sure. I went to the sign-up site, entered my card info, and got confirmation. Again, awful customer service on Citi's part for claiming they don't participate. The first rep I talked to said she wasn't even aware of the promo and had to go to a supervisor for clarifiication.I don't understand why you expect them to know about it. They're not the one sponsoring it, and you don't sign up for it at their site. The credit comes from AMEX. That it works is a result of AMEX honoring it on cards that they do not issue. I wonder if AMEX even contacts their other card issuers to make them aware of it.
FIne. Still wondering why musicdef13 presumably received the credit automatically and and I did not, with both of us using cards from Citi. And come on, this is a well-established promo that has been running for years. I most certainly do expect ALL card issuers to at least be aware of SBS, whether they are responsible or not.

Oh, and it was abolutely misinformation from Citi saying their card should not have been eligible for the promo. I would not have been able to register my card if that were the case. That is an inexcusably ridiculous claim to make.

Dude, calm down. Try to avoid dealing with Citi. Write a brief and polite letter to American Express explaining the situation, include your receipt if possible, and you can even give them your Citi account number if you want. It probably won't help much except they'll see it starts with a 3.

Tell them you hit a brick wall with Citi and ask for a $25 AMEX gift card.

PugRanch said:   Dude, calm down. Try to avoid dealing with Citi. Write a brief and polite letter to American Express explaining the situation, include your receipt if possible, and you can even give them your Citi account number if you want. It probably won't help much except they'll see it starts with a 3.

Tell them you hit a brick wall with Citi and ask for a $25 AMEX gift card.

Sigh. This is annoying. I'm simply saying that Citi is a large company and the promo has been running for years. Citi should not be claiming ignorance of the promo. And I already said I got the credit.

Sorry to annoy you.

PugRanch said:   Sorry to annoy you.
Apology accepted.

Does anyone have the email address/address to write to AMEX for AMEX Card issued by other banks? I don't go anywhere with BOFA. If I tried to contact regular AMEX, they can't do anything because the card# is not in their system and they bounce me back to BOFA.

This seems to be a pretty widespread problem for AMEX not paying the $25 bonus on non-AMEX issued cards.

They wrote me in the secure messaging:
"I see that the account numbers ending in xxxxx and xxxxx are Bank issued American Express Cards. Therefore, they are not eligible for the credit. Only American Express issued credit Cards are eligible for this offer."

zubba said:   This seems to be a pretty widespread problem for AMEX not paying the $25 bonus on non-AMEX issued cards.

"I see that the account numbers ending in xxxxx and xxxxx are Bank issued American Express Cards. Therefore, they are not eligible for the credit. Only American Express issued credit Cards are eligible for this offer."
Really sorry to hear this. I signed up our 6 the day before and have not had any problem getting credits. Used 3 at the same merchant on 2 occasions.

zubba said:   This seems to be a pretty widespread problem for AMEX not paying the $25 bonus on non-AMEX issued cards.

Sound like a load of crapola. If you were able to register your card, it's eligible! It really infuriates me when companies pull nonsense like this. If I were you, I'd ramp up the complaint volume. Obviously, lots of people with bank-issued cards received credit.

Some non-AMEX issued cards got the credit, some didn't. It's hit and miss. My Bank of America AMEX got the credit automatically last year but not this year. I've already talked to BOA and they didn't know anything about nor were they aware of that promotion. They did look at the credit that I received a year ago, from the 2011 promotion, and they said it came from AMEX, not them.

zubba said:   They wrote me in the secure messaging:

That isn't true, because from what I've read from some of the posts in this thread, some non-AMEX issued cards did get the credit so that explanation just doesn't hold water. All I know is that we registered our cards and was told at the time of registration that our BOA cards were indeed eligible to participate in the promotion(even got email confirmation) and they're now not going to uphold their end of the deal. I think if we put enough pressure on AMEX and continue to raise a big enough stink about it, they might, just might, do something and make this right.

Edit: I've been trying without success to get through on the 800-234-4474 number. It's always busy. Called the 800-297-7500 number and, just as expected, was told that since my card was issued by BOA I'd have to call them instead and that there's nothing they can do because their system has no way to access my account. They gave me a number to call, which turns out to be a number for FIA Card Services... Well, I guess the next thing to do is to dispute the charge.

AMEX is trying to pass the buck to Citi and BOA. BOA and Citi in return passing the buck back to AMEX. Citi tried to say according to the terms it takes 6-8? weeks for the bonus to post. I did receive the bonuses for the AMEX cards, but only after having to write AMEX. So Im still waiting on the 2 non-AMEX cards and not sure how best to proceed. Im thinking if I wait the full 8 weeks, the 2 x $25 statement credits wont post automatically.

Anybody have any success with the FIA AMEX? I called their CSR line and they said they would "look into it" and call me back. This was over 3 weeks ago with no response and no credit.

chantspel said:   Anybody have any success with the FIA AMEX? I called their CSR line and they said they would "look into it" and call me back. This was over 3 weeks ago with no response and no credit.

same here.
called again yesterday. apparently the last csr i talked to weeks ago said something similiar but never did anything
yesterday's csr said she couldnt find any notes in my file. she said she's making notes and forwarding my inquiry to some dept that i dont rmember the name to

yurgreat said:   chantspel said:   Anybody have any success with the FIA AMEX? I called their CSR line and they said they would "look into it" and call me back. This was over 3 weeks ago with no response and no credit.

same here.
called again yesterday. apparently the last csr i talked to weeks ago said something similiar but never did anything
yesterday's csr said she couldnt find any notes in my file. she said she's making notes and forwarding my inquiry to some dept that i dont rmember the name to
See my experience beginning here Resolved in my favor weeks ago

ellory said:   yurgreat said:   chantspel said:   Anybody have any success with the FIA AMEX? I called their CSR line and they said they would "look into it" and call me back. This was over 3 weeks ago with no response and no credit.

same here.

Thanks Ellory. Just to be clear, you called AMEX CSR first to initiate the process or FIA?

chantspel said:   ellory said:   yurgreat said:   chantspel said:   Anybody have any success with the FIA AMEX? I called their CSR line and they said they would "look into it" and call me back. This was over 3 weeks ago with no response and no credit.

same here.

Thanks Ellory. Just to be clear, you called AMEX CSR first to initiate the process or FIA?
AMEX first

yurgreat said:   chantspel said:   Anybody have any success with the FIA AMEX? I called their CSR line and they said they would "look into it" and call me back. This was over 3 weeks ago with no response and no credit.

same here.

$25 credit showed up

Thanks for the update. I'll admit I've been slacking on following up on this. Still no credit here, but I have to call them again.

Called back and was told I needed to wait 8 weeks for the promotion to show up sigh

yoregano said:   FIne. Still wondering why musicdef13 presumably received the credit automatically and and I did not, with both of us using cards from Citi. And come on, this is a well-established promo that has been running for years. I most certainly do expect ALL card issuers to at least be aware of SBS, whether they are responsible or not.

Oh, and it was absolutely misinformation from Citi saying their card should not have been eligible for the promo. I would not have been able to register my card if that were the case. That is an inexcusably ridiculous claim to make.

Did not see your reply until now. Maybe some people at Citi know about it, but I'm sure they don't tell their CSRs about it since it is not their promotion. And if the Citi CSR doesn't see it in their computer, then I would fully expect them to say that their cards are not eligible.

It sounds like one of those things that sort of fall thru the cracks because it's an AMEX promotion and no one bothered to consider what would happen when non-AMEX issued cards have problems with it. I really think it's AMEX that is at fault here for not having some way to resolve issues like this. But you're not their customer, so they probably don't care about you.

Received credit on both of my non-AMEX issued cards (Penfed and Fidelity Investments) on 1/18. The calendar notes its been 8 weeks since the transactions. Make sure you got yours by now on these cards. Was going to follow-up next week, but now I don't have to.

Caryite said:   Received credit on both of my non-AMEX issued cards (Penfed and Fidelity Investments) on 1/18. The calendar notes its been 8 weeks since the transactions. Make sure you got yours by now on these cards. Was going to follow-up next week, but now I don't have to.

Same here. Two BofA issued AMEX got credits on 1/18. I had called BofA and AMEX regarding one back in Dec but never got anywhere. I didn't follow up after that, so was pleasantly surpriswed to see -$25 in both accounts.

Same here. I now actually have a double credit because AMEX csr had manually applied the credit after emailing them.

i received my $25 credit on fia fidelity card automatically this week. i had previously called last year and gotten rejected by the fidelity csr, saying i had to wait eight weeks before they would do anything about it.

I'm so surprise that $25 credit finally appears on my BOFA AMEX.
This was when Ace Hardware SNAFU, posting the transaction a couple of days after 11/24 eventhough I made the purchase on 11/24.
After lots of hassle (ping pong) between BOFA CSR and AMEX CSR.... $25 is finally appear... good to know at least AMEX always makes good on their promotion!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014