• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Got the last one in Glastonbury CT.
Marked as $59.90 but I got an extra 10% off because it was the floor model. Online link for reference only.
What makes this really hot is that really cheap toner is available.

Staples
See Staples promo codes that earn Up to 2.5% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

Canon imageCLASS D420
Thanks VBMcGB
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
+10

jaimelobo (Oct. 08, 2012 @ 6:46p) |

for the occasional fax, you can simply scan the document and use this called the intrawebz and send faxes this way. i'm ... (more)

andywanker (Oct. 08, 2012 @ 7:35p) |

Ask your boss, the Doctor, about dropping the landline at the office and using a cell phone. Then go apply for a new jo... (more)

peepsiemom (Oct. 09, 2012 @ 9:11p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

What, no free after PM and $100 rebate?!?

Danzilla said:   What, no free after PM and $100 rebate?!?
Those were the good old days at Staples...

Thanks for the info re: cheap toner. I got in on the Straples deal 2 yrs ago when it was free after PM/coupon and $100 rebate. Just set it up last weekend and wondered about toner.

got one at this same time last year for free after rebate and PM
still working and hasnt run out of toner yet. i dont print a lot though

When the out of toner light came on, I just kept running it and it still haven't ran out of toner yet. The scanner function sure came in handy with the built in pdf creator in the software. Use it for a couple of real estate transactions and it was a life saver.

i wish it has the auto feeder function

Does not fax. In today's world, that is not "all in one".

peepsiemom said:   Does not fax. In today's world, that is not "all in one".Actually in today's world it IS. Maybe in a few years ago it wasn't.

Backwards. It used to be; now almost no mfr. is making all in one without FAX. Why do you think this model 420 has been discontinued? It's very cheap for mfr. to include fax function once you have scan and copy. Even inexpensive inkjet all in ones have fax feature now.

Have you been shopping lately?! There are very few AIOs on the low-end with fax. There never have been many. Very few people need it. Very few people are willing to pay for it. What's all that mean? Very few home-class AIOs have fax.

What do you do when you're holding a document in your hand and you need to send it to someone else? Scan it, save to a file, open your email and send it so the other party can then open his email and then finally print it. OR, just fax it and everybody is happy. That's like the silly logic of laboriously typing one key at a time. That's called texting and it's as slow as morse code for a telegram. Why not just call on the phone? It's WAYYYYY faster and you get IMMEDIATE feedback. Anyway, don't take my word for it. Walk through Staples and you'll be overwhelmed with AIO's that include fax; especially lasers. There's a reason the NON fax AIO'S keep getting discontinued (like this 420). It's incredibly cheap to include fax once you can scan and print. That's why so many more people buy them. Not sure how you define "low-end". I'm talking about AIO's from $75 and up. Seems pretty cheap to me for FAX,COPY,SCAN,PRINT.

1997 called, and they're happy you're still there.

I've been in technology since the mid-90s. You can think what you want, but you're simply wrong. Vocal, opinionated, and willfully mistaken. Not a great combo.

peepsiemom said:   What do you do when you're holding a document in your hand and you need to send it to someone else? Scan it, save to a file, open your email and send it so the other party can then open his email and then finally print it. OR, just fax it and everybody is happy.
On my HP Officejet 8500 (which admittedly is not a low end AIO and does have fax, although I paid a low end price for it) I can hit the "scan and email" button. What makes you think that most people who receive a document actually want to print it? I'd much rather receive it via email and have the option to print if necessary. And although it has fax capability, I don't have a phone line connected to it.

peepsiemom said:   What do you do when you're holding a document in your hand and you need to send it to someone else? Scan it, save to a file, open your email and send it so the other party can then open his email and then finally print it. OR, just fax it and everybody is happy. That's like the silly logic of laboriously typing one key at a time. That's called texting and it's as slow as morse code for a telegram. Why not just call on the phone? It's WAYYYYY faster and you get IMMEDIATE feedback. Anyway, don't take my word for it. Walk through Staples and you'll be overwhelmed with AIO's that include fax; especially lasers. There's a reason the NON fax AIO'S keep getting discontinued (like this 420). It's incredibly cheap to include fax once you can scan and print. That's why so many more people buy them. Not sure how you define "low-end". I'm talking about AIO's from $75 and up. Seems pretty cheap to me for FAX,COPY,SCAN,PRINT.Fax is important in one important legal aspect. There is case law around fax signatures IIRC. I opened some financial account awhile ago (so this could have changed) and I asked if I could just scan and email the document to them. No, it had to be faxed. Now there are services that allow you to fax documents via your computer so I guess you could scan the document into your computer and then "fax" it via one of those fax services. Not sure if law regarding acceptability of email(signature) has caught up since then.

slickdeal45 said:   1997 called, and they're happy you're still there.

I've been in technology since the mid-90s. You can think what you want, but you're simply wrong. Vocal, opinionated, and willfully mistaken. Not a great combo.

Mark Twain said ignorance is NOT a crime; it's opening your mouth and advertising your ignorance that's the crime. Just take a walk through Staples. The proof is on the shelves.

billrubin said:   peepsiemom said:   What do you do when you're holding a document in your hand and you need to send it to someone else? Scan it, save to a file, open your email and send it so the other party can then open his email and then finally print it. OR, just fax it and everybody is happy.
On my HP Officejet 8500 (which admittedly is not a low end AIO and does have fax, although I paid a low end price for it) I can hit the "scan and email" button. What makes you think that most people who receive a document actually want to print it? I'd much rather receive it via email and have the option to print if necessary. And although it has fax capability, I don't have a phone line connected to it.

You're assuming (usually incorrectly) that you received the document by email. When an important document arrives by snail mail and you need to send it on to someone else, you are stuck with alot of work unless you have a fax. Again, do you think the mfrs. are discontinuing these no fax machines because there's a lot of demand for them?

peepsiemom said:   Mark Twain said ignorance is NOT a crime; it's opening your mouth and advertising your ignorance that's the crime. Just take a walk through Staples. The proof is on the shelves.

Saying something just doesn't make it so. Why don't you prove your assertions? Take a look at the top five brands, and see how many low-end AIOs have faxes and those that don't. You've made the assertion, so go ahead and spend your time proving it.

May I suggest contacting them via telegraph? It's how real business is done.

but telegraph is as slow as texting. ONE key at a time. Right? I'll bet until today you thought texting was high tech.

If you don't want to upgrade to fax that is certainly your right. Please don't expect the rest of us to slow down for you.

billrubin said:   peepsiemom said:   What do you do when you're holding a document in your hand and you need to send it to someone else? Scan it, save to a file, open your email and send it so the other party can then open his email and then finally print it. OR, just fax it and everybody is happy.

It doesn't cost anything to connect your machine to a phone line. Then you've got fax capability to go with email. It's not one vs. the other; it's having more options. for very little extra cost. Remember, many older clients don't use email so they HAVE to use snail mail when they're sending documents to you.

peepsiemom said:   but telegraph is as slow as texting. ONE key at a time. Right? I'll bet until today you thought texting was high tech.

Real people value reliability when doing real business. Telegrams are personal. I bet until today you thought faxing was high-tech.

Maybe you should fire up that mimeograph and make some flyers.

Back to the real world, eh? Nobody is going to take away your fax. Most people just don't need or want it. For whatever reason, you've confused your needs with everyone's needs.

You'll need to call CANON so they can get these off clearance because YOU don't like to fax. And, btw, when in the future you actually get a paying job, please notice that EVERY business has a FAX. So what lie will you come up with now?

@peepsiemom
and
@slickdeal45

go away and don't come back.

I didn't think you got to be this opinionated until you had been at FW at least a year

BTW, put me in the "I don't want to pay for something I never use" column and sell me an AIO without a FAX (or what you may call a "Telecopier").

Also, BTW2 (fact for the day) - The facsimile machine was patented more than 30 years before the telephone and in commercial use 11 years before.

Hey jaimelobo, texting is MUCH newer and still the slowest way to communicate. You can "use" whatever slow method you prefer but don't expect the rest of the business world to slow down to match you. Where did you get the correlation between knowledge and time as a member of Fat Wallet? Join the human race, there's a lot going on in the business world that's not in Fat Wallet.

peepsiemom said:   Hey jaimelobo, texting is MUCH newer and still the slowest way to communicate. You can "use" whatever slow method you prefer but don't expect the rest of the business world to slow down to match you. Where did you get the correlation between knowledge and time as a member of Fat Wallet? Join the human race, there's a lot going on in the business world that's not in Fat Wallet.Wow, who peed in your Wheaties today?

Where did I say anything about texting? All I said was, I would rather not pay for something I don't use. I haven't needed to send a fax in many, many years. Any paper docs I've needed to send, I have scanned and emailed in less time than sticking it in the fax, punching in the number, waiting for the slow POTS line to connect, fax machines handshaking, etc., etc., etc. I work for a DoD contractor and we hardly even use faxes to deal with the government anymore.

Nothing like the good old days.

I'm in the same boat jaimelobo, don't want a fax so I don't want to pay for one. Plus, most of the my friends don't even have a phone line at their house, they just use their cellphone.

jaimelobo said:   peepsiemom said:   Hey jaimelobo, texting is MUCH newer and still the slowest way to communicate. You can "use" whatever slow method you prefer but don't expect the rest of the business world to slow down to match you. Where did you get the correlation between knowledge and time as a member of Fat Wallet? Join the human race, there's a lot going on in the business world that's not in Fat Wallet.Wow, who peed in your Wheaties today?

Where did I say anything about texting? All I said was, I would rather not pay for something I don't use. I haven't needed to send a fax in many, many years. Any paper docs I've needed to send, I have scanned and emailed in less time than sticking it in the fax, punching in the number, waiting for the slow POTS line to connect, fax machines handshaking, etc., etc., etc. I work for a DoD contractor and we hardly even use faxes to deal with the government anymore.

Nothing like the good old days.

Are you actually implying that faxing is SLOWER than the scan, attach in email then send method that you're using? Come on. Do whatever you want but don't try to justify it by making believe that faxing is slower or harder to do. If you (or these other guys) don't want to fax, then DON'T. This nonsense of fax is old-fashioned and slower simply makes me laugh. Business (and individuals) use faxes because they are easier and faster. Manufacturers include fax features because their products sell better with those features. If that were not true we'd be seeing more (not less) machines that don't have fax capability. As I said earlier, take a walk through Staples and see how many machines include fax capability. I certainly don't care what you buy but I'm amused by the silly false statments made about low tech, multi-step, slow as molasses, features like email and texting. As to price, including fax features is dirt-cheap in a AIO machine. Again, just look on the store shelves. It's like cell phones Opus. If you enjoy dropped calls, poor voice quality and a non duplex audio then don't pay for a land line. But don't pretend it's a better system than the one that's been around for many years and works better in ALL respects in your home or business.

I could care less whether or not my machine personally had fax capability, but at my office(Doctor Office) the fax machine gets TONS of use...

That said, at home how many of us even have land lines anymore? If you need fax move on, otherwise sweet deal on a copier printer

leprechanmonkie said:   ...If you need fax move on, otherwise sweet deal on a copier printer+10

for the occasional fax, you can simply scan the document and use this called the intrawebz and send faxes this way. i'm not sure where to find this intrawebz though. please post a link if you find it.

leprechanmonkie said:   I could care less whether or not my machine personally had fax capability, but at my office(Doctor Office) the fax machine gets TONS of use...

That said, at home how many of us even have land lines anymore? If you need fax move on, otherwise sweet deal on a copier printer

Ask your boss, the Doctor, about dropping the landline at the office and using a cell phone. Then go apply for a new job.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014