• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
mwr102 at buy.com

very good reviews at Buy.com and Amazon as well.

Rakuten.com Shopping
See Rakuten.com Shopping discounts that earn Up to 6.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

ZyXEL MWR102
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

nice. thx.

I got one of these two deals ago... Love it. I travel for a living and if you have active wired internet in your hotel room... plug this little router in and you have your own private wireless network. Beats sharing the hotel wireless connection with everyone in the hotel

Amaz˛n has matched the price: www.amazon.com/dp/B005WKIKA0/

Use citi forward and get 5% back.

Dotbody said:   Amaz˛n has matched the price: www.amazon.com/dp/B005WKIKA0/

Use citi forward and get 5% back.

Or Discover to get 5% from Buy.com using shopdiscover.

I wonder if you can use 5% online with 5% shop discover..

I was considering the Zyxel a while go until reading this comment:
Other devices have a "WISP" one-to-many wifi feature that creates a new local network with a WiFi backhaul. Very useful when hotels want to charge "per device". A. Ru's post saved me from trying the ZyXEL.

saltoricco said:   I was considering the Zyxel a while go until reading this comment:
Other devices have a "WISP" one-to-many wifi feature that creates a new local network with a WiFi backhaul. Very useful when hotels want to charge "per device". A. Ru's post saved me from trying the ZyXEL.

I didn't know that there are Wireless Routers that have that feature.

Here's a good Pocket Wireless Router with WISP for $35
Click Here

Here's a Cheaper One by Tenda for $21:
Click Here

TP-Link has good Reviews and is $23 shipped:
Click Here

wildbottom said:   I didn't know that there are Wireless Routers that have that feature.
Yes, both my other travel routers have it: CradlePoint CTR35, TP-Link TL-WR702N. The CradePoint is not as small as I'd like, and the TP-Link's firmware is lacking. There are some recommendations for an Asus travel router in the reviews of Zyxel page. Might be worth trying.

wildbottom said:   Here's a Pocket Wireless Router with WISP
$35
http://www.amazon.com/Zuni-Digital-Connect-Router-ZR301F/dp/B006...

Here's a Cheaper One by Tenda.
Tenda W150M = $21
http://www.amazon.com/Tenda-W150M-150Mbps-Wireless-Router/produc...

The Zuni looks nice, but read the first review. You have to jump through hoops to change between the modes. I have similar problems with the TP-Link. Super annoying. The CradlePoint's web based management is superb and switching modes is fast and easy. Shows it's possible, with a good firmware. I just wish it was a little smaller.

saltoricco said:   
The Zuni looks nice, but read the first review. You have to jump through hoops to change between the modes. I have similar problems with the TP-Link. Super annoying.
The Tenda sounds promising too. They have W150M+ if you want better range by adding Antenna.
Click Here

wildbottom said:   saltoricco said:   
The Zuni looks nice, but read the first review. You have to jump through hoops to change between the modes. I have similar problems with the TP-Link. Super annoying.
The Tenda sounds promising too. They have W150M+ if you want better range by adding Antenna.
Click Here

True, and it's amazingly small, too. But I find no reviews and the product pages don't come up, or are broken. Never heard of the brand, seems to be a Chinese producer. I'm done buying $20 pocket routers until one pops up with the right specs and solid reviews. The market is certainly moving on those little units.

saltoricco said:   wildbottom said:   I didn't know that there are Wireless Routers that have that feature.
Yes, both my other travel routers have it: CradlePoint CTR35, TP-Link TL-WR702N. The CradePoint is not as small as I'd like, and the TP-Link's firmware is lacking. There are some recommendations for an Asus travel router in the reviews of Zyxel page. Might be worth trying.

How does WISP differ from using the router in a normal WAN to LAN mode? One to many is what a normal router does with NAT so I must not understand what WISP is doing differently.

gallymimus said:   saltoricco said:   wildbottom said:   I didn't know that there are Wireless Routers that have that feature.

How does WISP differ from using the router in a normal WAN to LAN mode? One to many is what a normal router does with NAT so I must not understand what WISP is doing differently.

In this scenario, WISP implies connecting to and sharing a wireless 'hotspot' via wireless, not via wired LAN.

saltoricco said:   I was considering the Zyxel a while go until reading this comment:

I'm curious about a real life scenario where this is useful ?

Any occasion I've had to share a hotspot, I've always had a laptop with me that I could use as a soft AP.

I am having a hard time imagining where I have wifi, only my phone, my zyxel, and a need to share the hotspot with others.

Thanks in advance !

BloatedElvis said:   saltoricco said:   I was considering the Zyxel a while go until reading this comment:

Any occasion I've had to share a hotspot, I've always had a laptop with me that I could use as a soft AP.

I am having a hard time imagining where I have wifi, only my phone, my zyxel, and a need to share the hotspot with others.

Thanks in advance !

My Macbook has 1 wireless network interface, so I can only configure it as an AP if I get the Internet in wired. We use WISP if the hotel room only has wireless and we pay for each wireless client. With WISP there is only one. I also like how I my devices have the travel router's wireless network already configured and connect automatically, and secure.

saltoricco said:   wildbottom said:   saltoricco said:   
Click Here

True, and it's amazingly small, too. But I find no reviews and the product pages don't come up, or are broken. Never heard of the brand, seems to be a Chinese producer. I'm done buying $20 pocket routers until one pops up with the right specs and solid reviews. The market is certainly moving on those little units.

there's always the older apple air port expresses, if you're tired of the $20 ones anyway...

anyone else had good luck w/ those working around the per device limit @ hotels?

saltoricco said:   BloatedElvis said:   saltoricco said:   I was considering the Zyxel a while go until reading this comment:

I am having a hard time imagining where I have wifi, only my phone, my, and a need to share the hotspot with others.

Thanks in advance !

My Macbook has 1 wireless network interface, so I can only configure it as an AP if I get the Internet in wired. We use WISP if the hotel room only has wireless and we pay for each wireless client. With WISP there is only one. I also like how I my devices have the travel router's wireless network already configured and connect automatically, and secure.

In that scenario, you connect to the zyxel to the wireless, and plug the wired end into the mac, and use your mac as a soft AP. (go to sharing -> internet sharing ) Works like a champ.

zyxel bridged mode: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/38477-42-bridge-network-xyxel-...

BloatedElvis said:   In that scenario, you connect to the zyxel to the wireless, and plug the wired end into the mac, and use your mac as a soft AP. (go to sharing -> internet sharing ) Works like a champ.

zyxel bridged mode: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/38477-42-bridge-network-xyxel-...

That's good news, thanks for the pointer. I'm still waiting for the credit card sized USB powered that allows to switch easily between the modes. Connecting the router to a computer isn't ideal. Now you have to reconfigure that computer for the others in the room, and they need you to connect ("daaad, did you turn off your laptop??"). Also, I seem to have a natural talent in finding the hotels with the crappiest wireless in town. Sometimes you can improve it by placing the receiving unit at the optimal spot in the room. One time I even hung my little router out the window because the room was right above the entrance where the AP was apparently. Anyway, I'm not saying I do it all right, but an easy to use travel router would be a nice.

It's cute. More range than I expected. Sad that it's doesn't do 5 GHz.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 12:00AM CST (Midnight) tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.