• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Trying to understand this item - so if I stick this stick into my TV's hdmi - will I be able to surf the internet on it without he TV as a monitor? If so, what else would I be needing?

In for 1. Thanks.

sheriffabc said:   Trying to understand this item - so if I stick this stick into my TV's hdmi - will I be able to surf the internet on it without he TV as a monitor? If so, what else would I be needing?

The stick has builtin wifi, connect to your wireless router along with your usb keyboard and mouse and it will works just as a computer running android OS.

Here is the eBay Link for this item from same seller: Link

a few people have had over heating issues. However, I hope to be able to trade in my HTPC soon for something that is this small and uses this little power. My latest build is small and efficient, but this would take it to a new level and for a bonus it can run Ubuntu.

I haven't researched all the android TV stuff, but we just connect a wifi enabled laptop to the TV with a $10 6 foot VGA cable.

Angry birds on a 50" screen! I'm in!

or a PS3 remote

scoobydooby said:   Why don't any of these come with Bluetooth? Surely a small BT keyboard controller would be the easiest way to use these?

gasaver said:   Could someone clarify what these things do? Is this an alternative to hooking up a laptop to your tv to watch shows through your tv that are available on abc.com, etc, but no available on Roku, etc.? Or does this thing require you to go through Hulu, or Amazon or something to watch shows?

If this is an alternative to a laptop, what kind of browser does it have? Assume it requires a mouse and keyboard, is that correct? Can it be turned on and off with a regular remote? Does it have instant on instead of a long boot up? On/off via remote and boot up time are the biggest barriers to using an old laptop to access this stuff on the tv. If this solved those two problems it would be a great device.

Put an SSD drive in it. Cold booting my laptop takes 25 seconds. However, I leave it in standby and it takes less than 5 seconds to get to the logon screen. Then off I go to Hulu or wherever.

This mini TV is cheaper, but if you're still using the laptop for other things, it's worth the upgrade.

scoobydooby said:   Why don't any of these come with Bluetooth? Surely a small BT keyboard controller would be the easiest way to use these?
Yes, I would jump in if they bundled a Keyboard.

washerebefore said:   I bought one and paid almost 2 times this price..good easy way to just surf the web through your hdmi port on your TV 1080p - I just use my mouse too surf and it brings up a keyboard for slow typing.. like on an android phone..there are alot of videos on utube about these.. we might start see this feature on tv's built in -- 2 yrs from now,,

( note I bought the USB hub seen in the photo from Meritline and out of the 3 I got @89 cents each only 1 worked. Was not USB 2.0 according too Windows 7 on my laptop)

We wish ours came with the USB 3D sound deivce ? if you use it on a projector u have no sound...@ Least with a W7000 u don't... the model I have does do HD and there was some program on the device that had captioned movie link avail.. most unknow movies..

They carry the model I use =Item code: 306542 - $54 on eBay..last month..
How does the USB 3 D sound adapter work. I hooked up the sound adapter to MK802 through USB hub...it does not work!!! You mena we will not be able to get sound throuh 3d sound adapter when attached to projector.

The FAVI SmartStick for $49 runs Android 4.1 Jelly Bean according to Gizmodo.com. It may be a better choice.

Thanks OP. In 4 1.

lillazyfats81 said:   I understand the convenience for wifi... But I wish for an Ethernet port one.

Do they make any android sticks with Ethernet?

Some USB to Ethernet devices work. I've gotten a cheap USB to Ethernet adapter to work by just plugging it in to a OTG cable. I don't see how it wouldn't work with this device. There is a thread on xda about this here

Elric428 said:   The FAVI SmartStick for $49 runs Android 4.1 Jelly Bean according to Gizmodo.com. It may be a better choice.

But it does not have a micro SD slot. So you're stuck with a maximum of 8GB ($79) for apps.

shipping for FAVI stick starts @only $20

my bad,shipping now is $5

So is not purchasing the $1.99 insurance a bad idea? I can see it now...they look as the orders that come in and "ship" those w/o insurance while shipping the ones WITH insurance. Hmm.

I was very excited until I discovered many reviews complaining about overheating issue. There are lots of holes on the case of newer MK808 confirms the problem, both units have specification “Power Input: 5V 2A”. Overheating seems coherent for a 10-Watt device in such small plastic case without proper heat dissipation. As in many reviews, users are likely experiencing “overheat-freeze-shutdown-cooldown-reboot” cycles frequent during TV-watching or web surfing. Even if some units stay working under high temperature, the longevity of this unit would be a major concern.

There are other considerations extended from the 2A power requirement.
1)
This vendor, Geekbuying, has changed a 2A power adapter included and highlight it in red on their MK808 product page (http://www.geekbuying.com/item/MK808-Dual-Core-Android-4-1-Jelly... But there is no such detail mentioned on this MK802+ page.
2)
Not as in expectations of many others (including myself initially), it can NOT be powered by normal USB port rated at 0.5A.
3)
The 2 free item; non-powered “4 Port USB 2.0 HUB” and “3D Audio Sound Card Adapter” will add to the power and overheat problem if user plug them into this unit.

A side note for the free “3D Audio Sound Card Adapter”:
I have bought two units from different vendors exactly like the picture showing on the page. Both units were experiencing high heat and caused my USB port shut down (by USB internal protection circuit) in less than 5 minutes. I had one working in a powered USB hub with 1A rating. It was very hot and died in the test and the plastic case was deformed.

thank you

Do whatever never ever order from that alibaba/aliexpress combo from China. Returning is a hassle and you are almost guranteed to loose your money and the item.IMO MK802 is not yet ready for general usage.However if you can get it for $25-$30 range its a worth try as individual experience may vary.

lillazyfats81 said:   I understand the convenience for wifi... But I wish for an Ethernet port one.

I too do not want to stream my media over WiFi, and when I first saw this device also looked for a ethernet jack version. I don't think there is one, the closest would be the $30+ "Raspberry Pi" device which is bigger and not consumer packaged.

Could I run stuff like front row sports (flash based video sites)? Would it stutter? Or even worse, would it melt the thing while I watch a 3 hour long football game?

Can't you buy a USB to Ethernet adapter and skip the Wifi. Anyone know if 1080p would run smoothly that way?

Anyone play MKV's with this thing (1080p or 720p)? I am curious how powerful it is?

WOW Kudos to Geekbuying I received my 3 units Today 4 days shipping WOW WOW I have NEVER had anything from CHINA get here THAT FAST!!!!!!! I will buy from them again.

Just got mine yesterday. Initial impressions are meh. It can be sluggish at times and it does get pretty hot. Netflix doesn't want to work on mine, whenever I launch it, it just closes. I'll probably just return it, I really wanted Netflix to work and without it I just don't know what I'm going to do with this thing. I did get the iPazzPort remote which is pretty cool, I'll keep that.

Anyone else has any opinion the stick ? Thanks

It works great for me once you figure out the navigation portion. I watch youtube regular basis, haven't tried Netflix yet

love the portability. in 4 1

TheNewbGuy said:   love the portability. in 4 1
got it. Lots of issues with it including constant freeze and shutdown. Th shutdown was minimized by putting the holes on the system near a fan. But the freezing of the system when online is a real pain.

StinkPot said:   TheNewbGuy said:   love the portability. in 4 1
got it. Lots of issues with it including constant freeze and shutdown. Th shutdown was minimized by putting the holes on the system near a fan. But the freezing of the system when online is a real pain.

is it bad h/w or incompatible s/w ?

I have been slightly under-whelmed with it. It is neat, compact and portable. Has some uses. However, it is slow and does suffer from freezes and random lockups. On a plus side, the video playback has been great. For the price it is fun to play with. I will be interested in watching future generations of these devices and what they can do. Comfortable at $40 ish for this thing, more than that I might have been disappointed.

I have the MK802, it allows the use of Ethernet via the USB ports. I am sure the MK802+ will let you do the same.

These little devices are really cool. You can play angry birds and other such games, watch Netflix, stream media from a home server, use it to make your tv a "smart" tv. You can use any app on the android market!

You would need to disable the gmail app if you want to avoid your emails poping up on your tv screen, or other people from accessing your mail.

Got mine Monday. It's okay. Like others have said, it gets hot and is slow at times. Oh well, the lure of the little Android box is satisfied...and I'm a bit disappointed. It has a practical use, I'm sure...just not sure what that is for my needs.

Can these run XBMC?

Anyone installed linux on it ?

Remove Google Nexus 7 Tablet's screen/touchpad/camera/hardware sensors... and replace cpu/gpu with lessor ones and add TF card slot and HDMI+USB slots.
It is a tablet without screen and touchpad. Instead, you need to use your HDMI TV/monitor as your screen and wireless mouse(keyboard) as your wipe/touch input device.

Since one can do almost everything on Google Nexus 7(movie, mp3 music, eBooks, web surfing, games....), you should expect to do them on these Android stick.

Seaching eBay, $43.22 is the cheapest one I can find shipping from NJ, US.
Item# 190726290173

Anyone found anything cheaper?

gasaver said:   Could someone clarify what these things do? Is this an alternative to hooking up a laptop to your tv to watch shows through your tv that are available on abc.com, etc, but no available on Roku, etc.? Or does this thing require you to go through Hulu, or Amazon or something to watch shows?

If this is an alternative to a laptop, what kind of browser does it have? Assume it requires a mouse and keyboard, is that correct? Can it be turned on and off with a regular remote? Does it have instant on instead of a long boot up? On/off via remote and boot up time are the biggest barriers to using an old laptop to access this stuff on the tv. If this solved those two problems it would be a great device.

Freezing could be WiFi issue. Make sure you have space for WiFi to bounce.

By removing the plastic cover, may reduce overheat problems.

StinkPot said:   TheNewbGuy said:   love the portability. in 4 1

superking said:   I have been slightly under-whelmed with it. It is neat, compact and portable. Has some uses. However, it is slow and does suffer from freezes and random lockups. On a plus side, the video playback has been great. For the price it is fun to play with. I will be interested in watching future generations of these devices and what they can do. Comfortable at $40 ish for this thing, more than that I might have been disappointed.

Since they all use the same GPU, would love to know whether they have problem with 1080P movies or not?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014