• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Foscam Wireless TVL Dome-Shaped IP Surveillance Camera $69.99 Shipped (eBay Daily Deal)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Foscam-FI8910W-Wireless-N-IP-Camera-CMOS...

sd

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Can never have too much surveillance, right?

savinem (Oct. 11, 2012 @ 6:27p) |

dead already while i was checking the reviews

iouhxm (Oct. 11, 2012 @ 7:34p) |

ok, I Just setup two of these for motherinlaws safety.... FOLLOW the directions, Except.. Foscam info, AND a good youtub... (more)

Redw000d (Oct. 11, 2012 @ 7:36p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:

duplicate post.

thanks. Last time they had this sale, it was sold out very quick. Just got my self another one.

This is a very good deal on these - I'm picking up two more. Word of warning though, if you're not computer savvy you will have a hell of a time setting these up to run on your wireless network with remote monitoring.

Is this for outdoor use too (weatherproof)?

omarECD said:   Is this for outdoor use too (weatherproof)?

No, but you can buy the dome enclosures on eBay.

...whats your definition of computer savvy? i only ask because your post concerns me...I do not consider myself Computer Savvy, but better than the average. I tend to find a lot of engineers on fatwallet (i am an engineer) so i believe that when someone says "computer Savvy" that means...very competent. Can you share some more about the difficulties of setting this up remotely....or send me to a place that outlines the complications (I haven't checked Amazon yet).

thanks

dsdunbar said:   ...whats your definition of computer savvy? i only ask because your post concerns me...I do not consider myself Computer Savvy, but better than the average. I tend to find a lot of engineers on fatwallet (i am an engineer) so i believe that when someone says "computer Savvy" that means...very competent. Can you share some more about the difficulties of setting this up remotely....or send me to a place that outlines the complications (I haven't checked Amazon yet).

thanks

Here's a post from someone that lays out the steps for setting up multiple foscams: Link

The biggest problem most people will face is you have to put the camera on a static IP address. If you don't do this then on occasion the camera's ip address will change and you will lose your feed; this happens when you reset your router, unplug the camera etc. The camera is 100% useless if it's not on a static IP address.

To put it on a static IP you need a DNS service (which is free and the Foscam instructions help you set up). Once you have your DNS account set up that keeps your camera's IP address static from the camera to the internet, but you also need it static between your router and the camera so next you'll need to go in your router and tie whatever IP address you're making static to the MAC address of the camera (this is easier to do than it sounds - you'll have an "advanced" section of your routers settings that will bind an IP and Mac address together). You also need to open up the port you assign to the camera through your router.

That probably wasn't the easiest/best explanation but those are the hardest steps required to set these up and believe it or not my explanation will help you a lot when you get your Foscams.

I am looking for a HD wireless surveillance camera. Can anyone recommend any? I already have this one but the resolution is pretty low.

Myers215 said:   dsdunbar said:   ...whats your definition of computer savvy? i only ask because your post concerns me...I do not consider myself Computer Savvy, but better than the average. I tend to find a lot of engineers on fatwallet (i am an engineer) so i believe that when someone says "computer Savvy" that means...very competent. Can you share some more about the difficulties of setting this up remotely....or send me to a place that outlines the complications (I haven't checked Amazon yet).

thanks

Here's a post from someone that lays out the steps for setting up multiple foscams: Link

The biggest problem most people will face is you have to put the camera on a static IP address. If you don't do this then on occasion the camera's ip address will change and you will lose your feed; this happens when you reset your router, unplug the camera etc. The camera is 100% useless if it's not on a static IP address.

To put it on a static IP you need a DNS service (which is free and the Foscam instructions help you set up). Once you have your DNS account set up that keeps your camera's IP address static from the camera to the internet, but you also need it static between your router and the camera so next you'll need to go in your router and tie whatever IP address you're making static to the MAC address of the camera (this is easier to do than it sounds - you'll have an "advanced" section of your routers settings that will bind an IP and Mac address together). You also need to open up the port you assign to the camera through your router.

That probably wasn't the easiest/best explanation but those are the hardest steps required to set these up and believe it or not my explanation will help you a lot when you get your Foscams.

Wow, that was a very good explanation. Simple, clear, and you didn't show off how smart you really must be by using overly complicated instructions. You sold me, I'm buying two.

(PS, when i get lost and confused expect a PM from MrBigDawg)

Thanks for the info, in for one.

I got a couple of these awhile back.

Takes a while to set them up for remote access & that step is definately for advanced users.

One thing to make sure of, and will drive you crazy. When you try & view your camera remotely, don't use the same router or IP that the camera is on. It won't work with most routers. You need to log into another IP or go somewhere else & try to view.

Can't a static IP be configured in either the router or a home server?

how can i record it remotely?? or local to PC,, which program is good??

I use Vitamin D video for recording.. free for one camera..

hunter2010 said:   how can i record it remotely?? or local to PC,, which program is good??

As I understand it, your IP address is assigned to you by your service provider. You can set up your router to renew the same IP address, but if that cycle gets interrupted, there is no guarantee that your ISP will assign you the same one.

It may be complicated, but most routers have something called 'static leases' so that you can assign an IP address for each device based on its unique MAC address. Then you can create a 'port forward' so that you can connect to the wireless router from the outside and it will forward the connection to the IP address of the camera. You can search google for those terms and your router model to see how to configure it.

Also, the foscam software supports DDNS service so you can connect to the camera even when your external internet address changes. You just have to create a free account with dnydns.org and then set it up on the camera.

When you want to view the camera from inside your network, you have to use the address assigned by the static lease. When viewing it over the internet, you have to use the dyndns.org name and the port you have setup in the port forwarding.

I've had a Foscam for a few years and am quite happy with it.

hunter2010 said:   how can i record it remotely?? or local to PC,, which program is good??

Blueiris is a good program but I'm sure there's many more out there. You can have it dump the videos/pictures to dropbox or some other cloud service so when your computer gets stolen you don't lose the videos. You can also have the cameras themselves email screenshots when motion is triggered.

Also if you use MAC filtering, the camera has two MAC addresses! Drove me crazy for two days. The reason you'd need to be somewhat saavy is because everyone's ISP/router and settings are different so it's hard to troubleshoot properly if you've never played with your router settings and what not.

travellingalot said:   I got a couple of these awhile back.

Takes a while to set them up for remote access & that step is definately for advanced users.

One thing to make sure of, and will drive you crazy. When you try & view your camera remotely, don't use the same router or IP that the camera is on. It won't work with most routers. You need to log into another IP or go somewhere else & try to view.

So, are you saying that to operate this device best, that you need to install an output wire on your cable modem with one RJ45 connection for the modem on one end and twin RJ45s split into 2 RJ45s on the opposite end, one of which would plug into the router you aready use and the second of which you would plug into a wholly separate auxiliary router for the specialized use required by the Foscam camera?

Dwarf2k said:   It may be complicated, but most routers have something called 'static leases' so that you can assign an IP address for each device based on its unique MAC address. Then you can create a 'port forward' so that you can connect to the wireless router from the outside and it will forward the connection to the IP address of the camera. You can search google for those terms and your router model to see how to configure it.

Also, the foscam software supports DDNS service so you can connect to the camera even when your external internet address changes. You just have to create a free account with dnydns.org and then set it up on the camera.

When you want to view the camera from inside your network, you have to use the address assigned by the static lease. When viewing it over the internet, you have to use the dyndns.org name and the port you have setup in the port forwarding.

I've had a Foscam for a few years and am quite happy with it.

dydsn.org isn't free anymore. It's $20 or more per year.

If you don't have static IP, then why not use a free dns service like dyndns.com? I, like most people, did not want to pay extra to get a static ip and have been using the free service from dyndns.com without any issues for years now.

Myers215 said:   dsdunbar said:   ...whats your definition of computer savvy? i only ask because your post concerns me...I do not consider myself Computer Savvy, but better than the average. I tend to find a lot of engineers on fatwallet (i am an engineer) so i believe that when someone says "computer Savvy" that means...very competent. Can you share some more about the difficulties of setting this up remotely....or send me to a place that outlines the complications (I haven't checked Amazon yet).

thanks

Can never have too much surveillance, right?

dead already while i was checking the reviews

ok, I Just setup two of these for motherinlaws safety.... FOLLOW the directions, Except.. Foscam info, AND a good youtube vid BOTH fail to mention ONE important thing.. First, set the cam up, Wired, Then...UNplug ethernet cable, and RUN the Foscam software AGAIN... it will now Detect, on, another address.. I spent, alot of time, REloading, the 'wired' url, but, it was UNplugged.. so, thats the only problem I had with instructions.. Good luck! btw, if/when they fail remotely, just un/replug power to cam, simple, its a reboot,

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014