•8GB on-board storage memory
•7.0" touchscreen, 1024 x 600 resolution
•Built-in 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi and Bluetooth v3.0
Additional Features:•Back 3MP webcam and front webcam
•USB 2.0 port
•8GB on-board storage memory, additional memory via microSD card slot
•Lithium-polymer 4,000mAh battery
•Weighs 0.76 lbs; 7.60" x 0.41" x 4.80" dimensions
Software and Applications:•Android 4.0 OS (Ice Cream Sandwich)

Walmart
See Walmart discounts that earn 1.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

7 Inch Galaxy 2 Tablet (22.86kB)
Thanks VBMcGB
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
I think a faster card would be better since it will read files more quickly.

GudSpellur (Nov. 16, 2012 @ 11:25a) |

That's great if you live in a world that has a connection to the internet 24/7. I was going to get a Nexus 10, but it h... (more)

mjbok (Nov. 16, 2012 @ 2:48p) |

I've had this tablet for over half a year. To answer some of your questions:

Yes, it does make a very good GPS for the ca... (more)

Pagannagap (Nov. 16, 2012 @ 6:39p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:

So would this be better, worse or the same as picking up a Kindle Fire HD? With tax it would be about $15 cheaper, but it is a refurb. It would mainly be for email and internet browsing, and possibly for a 10-year-old. Or should one bite the bullet and just spend for the Nexus 7?

anonguy said:   So would this be better, worse or the same as picking up a Kindle Fire HD? With tax it would be about $15 cheaper, but it is a refurb. It would mainly be for email and internet browsing, and possibly for a 10-year-old. Or should one bite the bullet and just spend for the Nexus 7?

get a nexus 7, it's supported by Google (end of story)! jellybean pre-installed and amazing graphics. Check out the specs.

gotnagel said:   get a nexus 7. supported by google w/ latest Jellybean installed. what more do you need?

More storage? 1 more camera? Flash supported (I think)?

I have the Nexus 7 as well but this unit looks to do quite a bit for the money...

i was responding to anonguy - forgot to re-quote.

Repeat after me - Microsd slot.

lack of removable (upgrade, exchange, etc) storage was what kept me from the nexus (and all apple products)

Anyone know how long is the warranty comes with it?

sorry getting lost in this conversation....is this good for the money? I am wanting something for myself (older)

I would get it if I don't already have a tablet myself

ekmsit said:   Anyone know how long is the warranty comes with it?

This is a very good question. The info isn't listed on the page. I'm guessing 90 days but that's only a guess.

Jahx said:   Repeat after me - Microsd slot.

lack of removable (upgrade, exchange, etc) storage was what kept me from the nexus (and all apple products)

I cannot agree more. I can't wait until Asus releases its 7" tablet that gives, microSD, microUSB, microHDMI all with Tegra quad-processor all for approx. $250.00. This would be my ideal 7" tablet.

Folks, the cloud now exists for a reason. My music is stored in Google Music and Amazon MP3. My photos in iPhoto -> iCloud -> Box. All synced and backed up to my local cloud server.

Don't come crying to me when Samsung takes six months to update this tablet to Android 4.2, and Nexus 7 gets it week one.

i know this is off topic, but I'm putting this out there. I have an Ipad 2 and loved it except for the storage expansion. I've bought and returned Kindle Fire and passed on the Nexus for that reason. However, now I came across this thing by Patriot Memory called the Gauntlet NODE. I know Patriot as I've bought their memory and SSD for my PC builds in the past and they've never failed me, but this is something different. It is a HDD/SSD enclosure that has Wireless storage NAS but you can use your own drive. Similar to Seagate Goflex Satellite but better. Has internet access pass through as a nice feature. I've been looking to expand to the ipad and this seems like a pretty nifty thing to get and utilize one of my older laptop drive. Then I'll have 160GB of storage that I can transfer movies and music to and from my Ipad. It has IOS and Android App. What do you guys think? Worth a stab? I'm hesitant because its new and has little user reviews but this is new. I've seen it at around $90 before, but I think its generally at $99.

Amazon Link @ $97.09

Newegg Link

I've seen a couple of reviews and youtube vids on this as well. Reviews seem pretty good.

I just got a Nexus 7 8GB tablet at Staples for $199 less a $5 coupon. The 1280x800 screen res is 6.7 times that of my cell phone. The screen area is about 4x that of my phone. Much easier to read.

I ordered a $1 On-The-Go (OTG) cable from eBay. That will allow me to connect any card reader or thumb drive to the Nexus' micro USB port and have read access to 'unlimited' storage. (Write access requires rooting the tablet.)

The OTG cable will also let me connect a USB mouse and keyboard to the Nexus 7. See this video.

asuka said:   Folks, the cloud now exists for a reason. My music is stored in Google Music and Amazon MP3. My photos in iPhoto -> iCloud -> Box. All synced and backed up to my local cloud server.

Don't come crying to me when Samsung takes six months to update this tablet to Android 4.2, and Nexus 7 gets it week one.

Yes, and who do you think is paying/will be paying for cloud services in the very near future when your dependence on them is no longer in question? Amzn already screwed me royally with a complete wipe of my music when I did not continue my Amazon MP3 service. Not just delete everything exceeding my free storage, but delete *EVERY* file to reset my baseline. And that's what they do now, when they still want my business! Imagine the day I can no longer afford to disconnect from the cloud. Thanks but no thanks. Do not become dependent on the cloud, you will pay and pay dearly and thank them for allowing you to pay them for the privilege. Yes, yes, it's only $5 here, $2.50 there, every month, every year, in perpetuity. Please do not tell me you actually believe the lack of inclusion of the microSD was for the good of the consumer. It's evil, pure evil!

And somehow getting an update faster than everyone else is worth the extra monthly expenditure? Puh-lease, this is FATWALLET!!!

barrying said:   i know this is off topic, but I'm putting this out there. I have an Ipad 2 and loved it except for the storage expansion. I've bought and returned Kindle Fire and passed on the Nexus for that reason. However, now I came across this thing by Patriot Memory called the Gauntlet NODE. I know Patriot as I've bought their memory and SSD for my PC builds in the past and they've never failed me, but this is something different. It is a HDD/SSD enclosure that has Wireless storage NAS but you can use your own drive. Similar to Seagate Goflex Satellite but better. Has internet access pass through as a nice feature. I've been looking to expand to the ipad and this seems like a pretty nifty thing to get and utilize one of my older laptop drive. Then I'll have 160GB of storage that I can transfer movies and music to and from my Ipad. It has IOS and Android App. What do you guys think? Worth a stab? I'm hesitant because its new and has little user reviews but this is new. I've seen it at around $90 before, but I think its generally at $99.

Amazon Link @ $97.09

Newegg Link

I've seen a couple of reviews and youtube vids on this as well. Reviews seem pretty good.

How is spending an extra $100 a better idea when you can easily find something that has a built-in SD/MicroSD slot?

So have we decided if this is a good deal or not? I think the processor is slower than the Fire HD and Nexus and the screen resolution is smaller, but does the memory card capability make up for it?

no, sorry , what i meant was for those ipad users like myself and those who that commented on the nexus or fire that is without micro sd slots.

barrying said:   i know this is off topic, but I'm putting this out there. I have an Ipad 2 and loved it except for the storage expansion. I've bought and returned Kindle Fire and passed on the Nexus for that reason. However, now I came across this thing by Patriot Memory called the Gauntlet NODE. I know Patriot as I've bought their memory and SSD for my PC builds in the past and they've never failed me, but this is something different. It is a HDD/SSD enclosure that has Wireless storage NAS but you can use your own drive. Similar to Seagate Goflex Satellite but better. Has internet access pass through as a nice feature. I've been looking to expand to the ipad and this seems like a pretty nifty thing to get and utilize one of my older laptop drive. Then I'll have 160GB of storage that I can transfer movies and music to and from my Ipad. It has IOS and Android App. What do you guys think? Worth a stab? I'm hesitant because its new and has little user reviews but this is new. I've seen it at around $90 before, but I think its generally at $99.

Amazon Link @ $97.09

Newegg Link

I have the same issue. Airstash is another potential option that uses SD cards.

anonguy said:   So have we decided if this is a good deal or not? I think the processor is slower than the Fire HD and Nexus and the screen resolution is smaller, but does the memory card capability make up for it?

It is not just screen resolution but screen quality...This is not IPS screen. It is not horrible but if you are use to IPS screens like ipad, HP touchpad, Nexus, or even Color Nook, you will notice the screen quality, especially viewing angle. It is not horrible like on the Acer or Lenovo 7 inch, but it is noticeable compard to the above products.

Processor is a little outdated, but I will say I went to Microcenter to extensively checked this out, and I was surprised that it played pretty much all of my media movie files similar to the Tegra 3 of the Asus TF300 (as opposed to a Tegra 2 processor which stuttered on MOST of my files).

In summary, go look at one loclly to see the screen. I can't stress enough how important screen quality is (not just resolution) on a tablet. If you are Ok with it, then at $171 it is a nice ICS tablet.
(especially since it does have a microsd)

superflysocal said:   anonguy said:   So have we decided if this is a good deal or not? I think the processor is slower than the Fire HD and Nexus and the screen resolution is smaller, but does the memory card capability make up for it?

It is not just screen resolution but screen quality...This is not IPS screen. It is not horrible but if you are use to IPS screens like ipad, HP touchpad, Nexus, or even Color Nook, you will notice the screen quality, especially viewing angle. It is not horrible like on the Acer or Lenovo 7 inch, but it is noticeable compard to the above products.

Processor is a little outdated, but I will say I went to Microcenter to extensively checked this out, and I was surprised that it played pretty much all of my media movie files similar to the Tegra 3 of the Asus TF300 (as opposed to a Tegra 2 processor which stuttered on MOST of my files).

In summary, go look at one loclly to see the screen. I can't stress enough how important screen quality is (not just resolution) on a tablet. If you are Ok with it, then at $171 it is a nice ICS tablet.
(especially since it does have a microsd)

Thanks, I wasn't aware of the screen type. I'll take a look. You had mentioned that the Acer screen stunk in the 7-inch models, would you say the same for the Iconia 10-inch as well?

O/T: Interested to hear any replies to anonguy about the acer a500/a200 10" screen quality. I've read that you can see the grid all the time on the screens. My kid just lost my Acer A100, which I loved, but I hadn't compared its screen to other tablets. I'm considering this Galaxy 2 for replacing the lost 7" but husband is voting for the 10" acer A500 or A200.

craff1 said:   O/T: Interested to hear any replies to anonguy about the acer a500/a200 10" screen quality. I've read that you can see the grid all the time on the screens. My kid just lost my Acer A100, which I loved, but I hadn't compared its screen to other tablets. I'm considering this Galaxy 2 for replacing the lost 7" but husband is voting for the 10" acer A500 or A200.

I am curious, as WalMart has some refurbs on sale now. Maybe I'll post those and see what the comments are.

EDIT: Actually, it seems like $200 for a refurbed A200 seems about the going rate on the low end. Still interested in the quality or experience from any FWers.

My friend, the cloud is good if you assume that there is wifi everywhere you are.
Which is not the case for most mortals.

FYI, this does have GPS, so it could make for a good in-car GPS.

Does this tablet support text-to-speech? or does it have to be rooted?

Usually there's no point in waiting for the "next big thing" when it comes to technology purchases because there's always something better coming along. This month is an notable exception to that rule. By the end of the month a few important products are expected to be announced and/or become available and these new products will likely have an impact on the entire tablet market and drive the prices of existing products like the Galaxy Tab 2 down.

The following tablets are scheduled or projected to be available or announced by the end of the month:

Apple Ipad Mini
Upgraded Nexus 7 - More memory, probably at the same price.
Nexus 10 - expected to have the highest display density of any tablet - higher than the Ipad 3.
Nook HD tablets shipping
Windows Surface tablets shipping

Even if you have no interest in any of these new products they will shake up the market and likely force prices down on existing tablets. For me it's worth waiting 2 weeks.

asuka said:   Folks, the cloud now exists for a reason. My music is stored in Google Music and Amazon MP3. My photos in iPhoto -> iCloud -> Box. All synced and backed up to my local cloud server.

I have little trust left in me for any storage that I do not physically control the medium of. Too often the cloud is not accessible, due to either unreliable cellular service or no available wifi networks. Adding insult to injury is the fact that my content can be removed at the whim of the service provider.

No, thank you very much, but I will keep my content within my grasp, and physically backed up in a secure, fireproof safe.

anonguy said:   craff1 said:   O/T: Interested to hear any replies to anonguy about the acer a500/a200 10" screen quality. I've read that you can see the grid all the time on the screens. My kid just lost my Acer A100, which I loved, but I hadn't compared its screen to other tablets. I'm considering this Galaxy 2 for replacing the lost 7" but husband is voting for the 10" acer A500 or A200.

I am curious, as WalMart has some refurbs on sale now. Maybe I'll post those and see what the comments are.

EDIT: Actually, it seems like $200 for a refurbed A200 seems about the going rate on the low end. Still interested in the quality or experience from any FWers.Text

As far as my personal experience with an Acer laptop goes...I will only buy an Acer if there were no other choices left. One of the worst investment I ever made, everything that could go wrong, did!

Buy anything but an Acer

El Bumpo!

Back and cheaper...

Can this device be upgraded to Android 4.1 Jellybean?

MindExplorer said:   Can this devise be upgraded to Android 4.1 Jellybean?

It looks like you can.

In for 1. It just arrived today. Can anyone explain what you can do with the microsd slot? Is it just for storing more pictures, music, and videos. or, can you install more apps on them? can you even install an operating system on it?

bestdealseaker said:   In for 1. It just arrived today. Can anyone explain what you can do with the microsd slot? Is it just for storing more pictures, music, and videos. or, can you install more apps on them? can you even install an operating system on it?

The microsSD card should be used for all your movies, music, pictures and any apps you download that are able to be installed to t it ( not all will but if you root it most will be able to be put on it). The OS will not be put on it.

Here is a link for rooting.

This also has GPS so I recommend downloading Navfree USA since it allows you to save large maps to your SD card.

Also I would upgrade the OS (look at the second link in my OP) BEFORE adding anything to it because the upgrade wipes all your user data and you will just have to add it back after the upgrade.

How does the unit look? Any cosmetic issues?

The unit looks brand new. So far, I love it. I'm going to see if I can upgrade the OS now.

What'a a good micro sd card to get? Will I notice much of a difference between a class 4 and higher class? Does this look like a good card to get with it? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007KFXIDE

bestdealseaker said:   What'a a good micro sd card to get? Will I notice much of a difference between a class 4 and higher class? Does this look like a good card to get with it? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007KFXIDE

I think a faster card would be better since it will read files more quickly.

That's great if you live in a world that has a connection to the internet 24/7. I was going to get a Nexus 10, but it has no expandable storage which kills it for me. In what world should you pay $100 for 16gb of extra storage? Steve Jobs' world.

//Have an a200 and this tablet. The form factor was too small for me. The a200 chokes on HD video, but is a great cheap tablet besides that.

Skipping 1 Messages...
I've had this tablet for over half a year. To answer some of your questions:

Yes, it does make a very good GPS for the car. I took this on our family road trip from Southern California > Vegas > Grand Canyon and it worked very well with FreeNav USA. The 7" form factor means it still fits in your pocket and the kids can hold it easily.

Samsung has promised that they will upgrade this to Jelly Bean 4.1. You can upgrade it yourself with unofficial builds.

The screen is great and I've rarely seen it chug except with intensive 3d games though I'd liken that to buying a regular laptop and expecting it to play the latest Call of Duty.

What no-one has mentioned is that this tablet has an IR blaster. This means that you can control your satellite/cable box with the built-in (and frequently updated) app. Very few, if any other, tablets have this.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014