• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
chirravu said:   Update Now:

1) EPP Price went up to 899 + tax
2) Most if not all 60" models are back-ordered, but expect Panasonic to receive shipment in next week or two
3) Add 2-3 days for shipping to be ordered after step 2, and add 8-10 business days for Delivery to occur
4) The rep says image/picture clarity should be very good and NOT be much different from other higher end models such as ST, UT, GT or VT series. Obviously do not expect smartness in this TV, nor the 3D! (Rep may not exactly authority on TV quality assessment, but an internal person should have some/better clue than average Joe).

BTW, my Roku/TiVo will continue to enhance the power of my TV's Smart-O-Meter guts. I like smart-components as an outside attachment (Roku etc) rather than built-in. 3-4 years from now who knows what all will change on Net/Streaming Apps/devices. A (current) Smart TV can't be updated for a new app 3-4 years from now, where as I'be happy to throw $49-$99 for a Roku and such., be happy with latest future smarts ..

Good Ole' Consumer magazine rated ST/GT/VT models - and rated these very well particularly on image/picture quality. Hoping this model stays on-par with those higher end models.

So for folks who ordered earlier are lucky, do NOT cancel the order (or else expect to pay lot more!), wait a week or two to start hearing clear details on shipment (don't set a date for throwing your new HDTV party yet)

Thanks

1. Sorry to inform you, but as the last PDP panel manufacturer have ceased production Plasma is a now officially a dead technology. The CEA has predicted prices will continue to decrease through the early next year as Matsushita liquidates their remaining PDP panel inventories. There have already been several sub $800 deals on 60" plasmas here on FW in the past 6 months and they will become more frequent as inventory is liquidated.
2. Panasonic has certainly been a top brand TV in the past decade and they have made some awesome plasma TVs during that time. However, their market share has dwindled to a measly 5% and their quality is now being sacrificed. Unlike other major brands Panasonic was slow to adopt LCD technologies and now they have years of catching up to get back in the game.
3. Unlike when they were first introduced a few years ago adding smart guts in a TVs now adds very little to the actual street selling price vs a dumb TV. Plus most smart TVs run some version of Android or Java based OS so their ability to be updated in the future is far more likely than your Roku so one again you are wrong. In fact, unlike your Roku Samsung's support for their smart hub service has been constantly growing as they constantly add new services and features. Your Roku on the other hand can only do a few basic streaming tasks and cannot upgrade to the extent that the onboard computers that Smart TV now have. Your Roku will be obsolete long before a smart TV's OS is no longer supported. Also your 4-5 year plan to simply buy an updated external smart TV/streaming device to use with your existing TV is a myth. You will also need to purchase a new TV to take advantage of new technologies those external smart TV and streaming devices will support such as concurrent streams and 4K and 8K panel technologies. I have no problem with a Roku but they are very limited in functionality vs a Smart TV even today. 5 years from now your Roku will look like crap on one of those 4K sets and besides given my personal experience with them it will likely be in the trash long before then.

cnIsfg said:   1. Sorry to inform you, but as the last PDP panel manufacturer have ceased production Plasma is a now officially a dead technology. The CEA has predicted prices will continue to decrease through the early next year as Matsushita liquidates their remaining PDP panel inventories. There have already been several sub $800 deals on 60" plasmas here on FW in the past 6 months and they will become more frequent as inventory is liquidated.

Do you by chance have a link for this info? I'm Googling several different search strings and cannot seem to find anything referencing this.

1. Sorry to inform you, but as the last PDP panel manufacturer have ceased production Plasma is a now officially a dead technology. The CEA has predicted prices will continue to decrease through the early next year as Matsushita liquidates their remaining PDP panel inventories. There have already been several sub $800 deals on 60" plasmas here on FW in the past 6 months and they will become more frequent as inventory is liquidated.

Response: Would LED eventual TV-display tech winner? Most likely it be, or it could be a next-technology. Does it mean it looks better/accurate ? You decide !! As for last PDP full shut down - not true. Reduction, yes ! So are regular light-bulbs, Analog TVs, VHS !! For everything there is an end

Can you name top tier Cordless/landline phone manufacturers still around ? Technology is not dead, in my opinion currently there are more cordless phones are around - than a decade or so ago. But most known top-tier/quality manufacturers silently exited due to vapor margins! Doesn't mean we have any less number of cordless sets per household! Toy manufacturers shifted to making cordless phones these days! Plasma costs so dang-much to manufacture, and obviously with little market-share to work with, the costs are not reducing as faster to be able to compete with CFL(err. LCD)/LED TVs. Why you want to manufacture a product with shrinking market share, much worse, even-more shrinking margins (may be at a loss too) !!

2. Panasonic has certainly been a top brand TV in the past decade and they have made some awesome plasma TVs during that time. However, their market share has dwindled to a measly 5% and their quality is now being sacrificed. Unlike other major brands Panasonic was slow to adopt LCD technologies and now they have years of catching up to get back in the game.

Re: Plasma - Pana is still one of the top rates, Consumer magazine says so..

3. Unlike when they were first introduced a few years ago adding smart guts in a TVs now adds very little to the actual street selling price vs a dumb TV. Plus most smart TVs run some version of Android or Java based OS so their ability to be updated in the future is far more likely than your Roku so one again you are wrong. In fact, unlike your Roku Samsung's support for their smart hub service has been constantly growing as they constantly add new services and features. Your Roku on the other hand can only do a few basic streaming tasks and cannot upgrade to the extent that the onboard computers that Smart TV now have. Your Roku will be obsolete long before a smart TV's OS is no longer supported. Also your 4-5 year plan to simply buy an updated external smart TV/streaming device to use with your existing TV is a myth. You will also need to purchase a new TV to take advantage of new technologies those external smart TV and streaming devices will support such as concurrent streams and 4K and 8K panel technologies. I have no problem with a Roku but they are very limited in functionality vs a Smart TV even today. 5 years from now your Roku will look like crap on one of those 4K sets and besides given my personal experience with them it will likely be in the trash long before then.

Re: 5-years from now, I be buying my next Roku or GoogleTV, or for that matter most of the smarts are avail in $79 BluRay DVD player., doesn't have to over-invest in SmartTV.

BTW, when is the last time you put your laptop/ipad in a heater and expect to last longer. Obviously any/all TVs run little hot, and try putting your smart-computer in a hot place like that expect how long it will last! Ease/convenience for some time, yes. Would I want to put my smarts in a hot-place, no!

How much development community/app-updates, or for that matter App on iPhone on its latest 2012 model 7000 and 8000 series TVs (by the way our LED is the top of line 8000 series), does NOT work! Try typing a search string/title on your SmartTV's dumb remote!! You've got greatest/dual-core processor with latest 'droid guts, but this smart-car doesn't have a Steering-wheel. Imagine that!

Can your latest TV do WIDI (built-in)- however many times you update its Apps or Java-version, ain't happening. The supporting hardware is missing. So, you think Java/Droid is fix for every new/yet-developing feature? Prolly not, a $59 NeoTV Pro can do it for you though!

Typically any Smarts built-into TV is similar to Car's Built-In Navigation system, not hardly one can do Google Maps, nor Google search - no matter how many updates you do on that system. Essentially you don't have a data-card/cell-equipment integrated with it when its built. Essentially this is what SmartTVs will become, 2-4 years from now, most of its capabilities be changed/outdated.

My Roku's iPhone/Touch app works just fine !! Not a Roku fanboy here, it got its own recent gripes of losing lots of international channels/programming (since it became bedfellows with one of the dish providers over the past 4 months)

I purchased this unit and hoping for a delivery. Wish I bought one more.

Here are the reason I bought:

1) Bought this for basement which already has with home theater system. Internet modem is right next to it.. that makes easy to hook up tv with Wii, Roku or other device.

2) With discover card my total is $651.. compared this to LEDs starting around $1400 for the 60" size.
3) I live in midwest where the electricity KW rate is 6c compared to west/east coasts where it's 23-37c. I will be spending $8 more for power with a plasma than a LED.
4) I expect lifetime of 4 years. I just sold a 7 year old 50" panny plasma for $180 on craigslist and this TV after 4 year might fetch $150.
5) With OLEDs coming out in 2013, current LED technology might be outdated in 4 years.
6) 3D is a headache for me... It has been 36 years since I first saw the 3D TV and still not much in main stream.
7) Since it's in the basement, glossy finish shouldn't bother with external light. I feel this is the best PQ for the conditions.
8) This TV is 70lb which is 30-35lb more than LED. However, it's my wall studs versus on my back all the time.

I received an order cancelation last night for an odd reason that the creadit card authorization expired.

Just spoke, my order status says "Processed" but they won't "Bill" the card until its shipped. Currently "authorization/hold" still in place. Let us see when they try to ship it, and then actually Bill it.

Thanks

Called in and they said that AMEX declined the transaction as possibly fraudulant and that auto-canceled the order. All of these went to others and they are backordered again. According to the agent they won't be back in stock for at least a month.

Oh well.

Qzic said:   Called in and they said that AMEX declined the transaction as possibly fraudulant and that auto-canceled the order. All of these went to others and they are backordered again. According to the agent they won't be back in stock for at least a month.

Oh well.

A month...... just in time for Black Friday.

Just got shipping confirmation e-mail, NVC logistics - being shipped from Aurora, IL / Des Plains, IL.
Current Status: To be Picked Up
Destination's Local Office: our metro airport

Seems like air frieght, not bad for 90 pounds item! Credit-card still shows Pending-transaction

Thx

Shipped..
Picked up by Nvc. Looks like ground delivery for me.

Tracking from NVC Logistics Group:

Current Status: In Transit

Expected arrival at our local office is 10/23/12. You should receive a call within 48 hours of arrival to schedule your delivery.

Amazone for $898 now

TV is here, it looks great. Picture quality is awesome. Sound is average (but hard to fill a large fully-open two level family room, understand)

"Standard" picture mode is for "suckers" or basement-dwellers . This mode is for power-saving, essentially!

Went with Custom mode settings, with some fine tuning - looks better. Game/Vivid look great too - but don't want to mess-up/burn-in during first 200 hours with too much bright.

Amazing deal it was, for this 60-inch great plasma from Panasonic.

Just this month Consumer magazine says -- "Tip-top TV: Panasonic Viera TC-P55VT50" as BEST TV all around. I know this ain't VT series, but a close brother to it (so long as your room doesn't have too-much sun/reflective light!). Also it says: "Safest bets: Panasonic plasma TVs have consistently been among the top performers in our Ratings over the past few years."

Isn't "3D" on TV/BluRays slowly getting its second death? If really want a 3D flick, will go to theater for $10 bucks and be done with it - no need to bring "head-ache due to 3D watching" home! But thanks to 3D, our regular (non-3D) TVs are getting cheaper, thanks to 3D !!

For now, sit it on TV Table, may consider wall-mounting it -- does wall-mounting has any advantages other than looking-pretty, saving some space ?

Item shows back in stock, but whether I'm logged in as EPP or not, it is showing up $899. Is it showing up at $675 for anyone?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.