• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Just pre ordered Wii U deluxe at WalMart in the lay away department. It was in the flyer today. Had to go to store to place order but as far as I know it's legit. CSR said as long as the order went through it will be good. Mine went through, we'll see. OOS everywhere else I checked. It's on my son's Xmas list

Walmart
Need a Walmart coupon that earns 2.0% FatWallet Cash Back?
Member Summary

Wii U console
Thanks VBMcGB
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Go to google.com and type in "wii u" (without the quotes) and press your "enter" key. You might just be able to find hu... (more)

Mickie3 (Nov. 19, 2012 @ 12:00p) |

I take it that this deal is now dead and you can't "pre-order" using layaway anymore?

JoyOfCoupons (Nov. 19, 2012 @ 12:24p) |

Since they are readily available in stores now, why would you "pre-order" one? That was a marketing gimmick.

As to law-a... (more)

Mickie3 (Nov. 20, 2012 @ 12:06a) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Preordered mine too!

By the way, here's the document WalMart employees received about the preorder process:

Wii U Layaway Reservation Process
Starts: Sunday, October 14 - Ends: Thursday November 1 (or until allocated qty sold)

Overview
The Wii U Black Deluxe Console Set can be reserved, Oct. 14 through Nov.1 using the Holiday Layaway system.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Due to limited quantities the period to reserve your copy could end sooner
o Sales block will be placed on item number once allocated quantity has been met.
Utilize the Holiday Layaway process to execute the reservation of the Wii U console.
Layaway service fee of $5 and 10% down applies to reserve the console.

Preparation
Obtain a folder for the Wii U Black Deluxe console reservation process to hold the layaway package labels for all
pre-sold reservations and secure the folder in the layaway area.
Create a layaway bin label and apply it to the folder.

Execution
1. Scan barcode of the Black Deluxe Console.(While supplies last)
2. Register will prompt Product Care Plan, Optional. Without a serial number scan the upc two times.
Wii U Deluxe Console
Item 550924127
UPC 45496880866
$349.96
3. IMPORTANT NOTE: Customer may pay a majority of the balance in the initial transaction, but no matter what
there must be a minimum balance of at least one penny, $.01 left on the account when reserving the console.
This will assist with tracking when the customer returns to pick up the game.
4. Complete transaction and print one package label for each reserved unit.
5. Bin and place the package label(s) in the Wii U reservation folder.
6. Remind the customer on the following elements;
Wii U launches at 12:01 am on Nov.18 and will be available for pickup.
Pickup location is the layaway desk, not the Electronics register.
Return with receipt for a smooth pickup on launch date.
7. Place the pre-sell Wii U folder in a secure location under the layaway register until the launch date of Nov.18 at
12:01am.

Receiving Reserved Wii U Consoles
1. Pre-sold Wii U consoles will arrive into stores DTS Wednesday Nov. 14 through Friday Nov. 16.
Carton will be marked; Wii U Layaway Merchandise; Take to Store Manager for Midnight launch on
11/18.
2. Take the reserved consoles to the security room until boxes can be labeled and binned.
3. Apply the package labels from the reservation folder to each unit, re-assign the reserved consoles to the proper
storage location and bin until 12:01am on 11/18 launch night.
Midnight Launch
1. Be prepared before the midnight launch
2. Ensure the Layaway area is staffed with a layaway trained associate for the midnight launch.
Support manager, Assistant manager, etc.
3. Have the deluxe console set and folder secured under the layaway register Saturday night at 11:45pm
4. When the customer picks up their Wii U console
Ask for the receipt and complete the layaway transaction
Cross through the package label located in the folder with a pen.
5. Add-on attachment sales by having the following item displayed at launch.
Cards, Controllers, Games, Charging cradle

Bundles is a better choice:
This Nintendo Wii U Solution Bundle w/ Customer Choice of Wii U Game and Controller includes your choice of:

* 1 Your Choice Wii U Game
* 1 Your Choice Wii Remote Plus (Compatible with Wii and Wii U) or Wii U Pro Controller
$399

thats for the white console, its $450 for the black console bundle

Got mine! Thanks OP!

Got one for my son! He's been saving and underestimated the initial pre-order rush and missed out. Score one for dad today! Thanks Richl!

Just pre-ordered! Thank you OP! Been looking all over local stroes and online for launch pre-orders as well as avoiding the hassle of calling and showing up early at stores(after launch) to see if they have the wii u in stock! Going to be a hot item this holdiday season! Two boys are going to be happy this Christmas.

Excellent! I was able to preorder/layaway one today as well. I'm as excited for this system launch as I was for the Xbox 360 launch. Some very high quality launch games and the gamepad with the screen opens up some very cool usage possibilities for game developers. Very high chance that it will be a hot holiday item. Anyone on the fence about wanting it will likely change their mind once they play it at a family member or friend's house on Thanksgiving holiday. Word of mouth at schools, etc. after launch also will cause it to be put onto Xmas lists. Finally, a high def Nintendo system.. and with a cool new concept (the gamepad). Not a huge Nintendo fan; I am a huge XBox 360 fan. But this new gamepad along with the Nintendo exclusives titles, it's not going to disappoint.

Just got mine! Thanks OP!

No one had any idea what I was talking about, finally found a guy in the back room and they were able to figure it out!

Success!

In for 1. Thanks opie!

I'll ask the obvious. What are people thinking in terms of the eBay/craigslist market for this system around the holidays? Is it anticipated that this will be sold out and hard to find or a flood of systems available for purchase around the holidays?

Red me, as I'm "that guy" trying to make my wallet fatter around the holidays. If it were a new Xbox, I'd take the risk no matter what because I'd end up with a system I'd likely use. I never used my Wii and fear I'd be stuck with a $350 paperweight if this thing is overstocked and in low demand.

djtitati said:   I'll ask the obvious. What are people thinking in terms of the eBay/craigslist market for this system around the holidays? Is it anticipated that this will be sold out and hard to find or a flood of systems available for purchase around the holidays?

Red me, as I'm "that guy" trying to make my wallet fatter around the holidays. If it were a new Xbox, I'd take the risk no matter what because I'd end up with a system I'd likely use. I never used my Wii and fear I'd be stuck with a $350 paperweight if this thing is overstocked and in low demand.

It's WalMart. You return it if it doesn't sell.

only a 15 day window for video game systems as per http://help.walmart.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9/~/walmart.com-...

djtitati said:   overstocked and in low demand.

The pre-orders are sold out everywhere. So it's a good guess that demand is pretty high.

slyreptile said:   djtitati said:   overstocked and in low demand.

The pre-orders are sold out everywhere. So it's a good guess that demand is pretty high.

Or Nintendo is good marketing...

Don't forget that you lose the $5 lay-away fee if you return the item, and any other law-away charges you might have paid.

Picked one up tonight. The guy at my WalMart had no idea what I was talking about but he found the bulletin on the counter taped. Glad I got one!

djtitati said:   only a 15 day window for video game systems as per http://help.walmart.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9/~/walmart.com-...

But it doesn't start until 12/26: http://corporate.walmart.com/return-policy

"As an added convenience for customers, WalMart has adjusted its return policy for the holiday gift buying season for items that have a limited return/exchange period (15 days, 30 days, etc.). For these items purchased between Nov. 1 and Dec. 24, the limited return period will begin Dec. 26. This includes items such as TVs, cameras, computers, DVD and music players that can have a 15-30 day return period."

djtitati said:   I'll ask the obvious. What are people thinking in terms of the eBay/craigslist market for this system around the holidays? Is it anticipated that this will be sold out and hard to find or a flood of systems available for purchase around the holidays?

There's a post on my local CL asking $700 for the $350 black unit. I looked for completed auctions on eBay and saw ~$650. If Nintendo truly sells out, I wouldn't be surprised to see those prices sustained. For reference, I sold an Xbox 360 for $750 on release date (listed on eBay after getting it in my hands). I think it cost $400 retail.

Was anyone able to get the bundle on the deluxe system doing this and if so how?

The WalMart associate said it was only for the deluxe system not the bundle. She said you might be able to bring it in and upgrade to the bundle if they are offering it but she wasn't sure.

Thanks for the post though!

As shown in their weekly ad, the pre-order/layaway is for the Black Deluxe version. When I pre-ordered, I asked and there was no other bundle.

Did this at the WalMart across from my work. Electronics dept. knew nothing about it. Service desk and layaway the same thing. The store manager had heard of it, but wasn't sure. Took a while, but got it done. Lesson is make sure that you ask people that know what is going on. I knew the electronics guy didn't know because he said they didn't "have any in stock".

dukerau said:   djtitati said:   I'll ask the obvious. What are people thinking in terms of the eBay/craigslist market for this system around the holidays? Is it anticipated that this will be sold out and hard to find or a flood of systems available for purchase around the holidays?

There's a post on my local CL asking $700 for the $350 black unit. I looked for completed auctions on eBay and saw ~$650. If Nintendo truly sells out, I wouldn't be surprised to see those prices sustained. For reference, I sold an Xbox 360 for $750 on release date (listed on eBay after getting it in my hands). I think it cost $400 retail.

360's could fetch north of $1000 when they were launched, I actually bought a couple while I was on vacation in hawaii and couldn't justify keeping them because of what they were fetching on the bay. I could definitely be wrong, but I don't thing the WII-U is going to draw the same kind of interest as the 360, it hasn't fared so well in the tech-circle for what seems to be a kind of odd device. I wish Nintendo would just stop trying to make hardware and pump out some more quality 1st party software.

don't really like cons that sell things for more than they're worth. They're even greedier for money than even apple or any other big company

I wasn't sure if I should go to the gun department to blow my own brains out or to annihilate all of the zombies that work there. Took 4 employees plus 2 managers to figure out to open a file cabinet, take out a file, and scan a bar code. They laughed at the instructions at the top of the thread telling me repeatedly to order it online that its not possible to preorder through the layaway and that I need to go to Electronics Dept or back home and use my computer. Total time nearly 45 minutes. For anyone else feeling brave tell the person in layaway to CHECK THE FILE CABINET FOR THE WII U FOLDER.

acromexigirl said:   don't really like cons that sell things for more than they're worth. They're even greedier for money than even apple or any other big company

How is it a con to list something on eBay at 99cents, and it's bid up to $700?

Imagine this - you are thinking/trying to sell your home. The market says it's worth about $500k. But you aren't in desperate need to sell it, so in the hopes of negotiating, you list it at $550k, a full $50,000 higher than you expect to get.

Then, a buyer comes in, and offers you full price, $550k, for your house.

Do you seriously go, "No, I'm sorry sir - but the house isn't worth $550k. Please only buy it from me for $500k. I don't want to con you."

Eryeal said:   acromexigirl said:   don't really like cons that sell things for more than they're worth. They're even greedier for money than even apple or any other big company

Imagine this - you are thinking/trying to sell your home. The market says it's worth about $500k. But you aren't in desperate need to sell it, so in the hopes of negotiating, you list it at $550k, a full $50,000 higher than you expect to get.

Do you seriously go, "No, I'm sorry sir - but the house isn't worth $550k. Please only buy it from me for $500k. I don't want to con you."

No two homes are alike, however the Wii U is the same whether a person buys it off eBay or from WalMart. The difference is that the person selling it on eBay doesn't need it and when he buys it just for resale he is preventing someone who really wants the item from buying it.

njguy646 said:   Eryeal said:   acromexigirl said:   don't really like cons that sell things for more than they're worth. They're even greedier for money than even apple or any other big company

No two homes are alike, however the Wii U is the same whether a person buys it off eBay or from WalMart. The difference is that the person selling it on eBay doesn't need it and when he buys it just for resale he is preventing someone who really wants the item from buying it.

I buy a home, hoping to sell it higher than what I bought it for, in order to make money. I'm sure many families would like the home I bought, but I was the first person to put in the offer and buy it. Being that I bought it, I'm sure I prevented someone else who really wanted the home from buying it. Am I a con because I bought something strictly to re-sell it higher than what I bought it for?

Let's go back before the internet age - when, if you wanted a popular product that is selling out, you had to camp outside a store for hours/days on end to get that "popular" product. Am I con for selling what I bought for a good profit, being I camped outside all night in the freezing cold? So the person who chose not to camp out - should have the same right to buy it at the same price I did, even though I made the sacrifice for it?

If you REALLY wanted the item, wouldn't you have preordered it, or looked on the internet to find out how you could get it at MSRP? WalMart's layaway deal has been going on forever, and their online bundle deal was up forever. There were many, many chances (and still are) for anyone who REALLY wants this to get it at MSRP with little effort.

Ya took them 30 minutes to put two on layaway for me so manager gave me 10% off both! i got them for $315 each (they rounded the # off) which i never asked for just calmly pointed out that i had arrived 34 minutes ago and "i believe" we will succeed...now should i post on eBay or Craigslist like many are? i saw one auction even indicating they would include WalMart receipt!

njguy646 said:   Eryeal said:   acromexigirl said:   don't really like cons that sell things for more than they're worth. They're even greedier for money than even apple or any other big company

I don't get the haters. I really don't. I've been reselling for years and not once did I come across someone that was pissy and acted like they weren't happy to get the item. They pay a premium because they weren't willing to get up at 3am and battle the elements are drive all over town to get whatever item is hot at the moment. How do you think 7-11's survive? It is a conventience store. Do you know how much the profit margin is on tea at most restaurants? A glass costs less than a cent to make yet they charge you more than $2.00. I'd be pissed more at those stores than resellers who profit by being smart and if you wanna hate on anyone, hate on Nintendo for doing this not once with the original Wii, but twice now with the Wii U. They know precisely what they are doing & don't think for a second that they don't. Hating is another thing I don't fully understand unless you're just a judgemental @ss. It isn't a pebble in your shoe and affects you none.

Its supply and demand. Simple as that. If people are willing to pay more for an item to avoid the hassle of getting in line early and fighting a crowd that's their business, not anyone elses. Do you pay more when going out to dinner...you are paying more for that dinner to be cooked for you...its called convenience and its not a new idea...Nobody if forcing ANYONE to pay more than retail, its their choice.

acromexigirl said:   don't really like cons that sell things for more than they're worth. They're even greedier for money than even apple or any other big companySimple solution, don't buy resold stuff that is marked up? I'm not convinced there will be a shortage of these at holiday time anyway. I completely missed the early ordering offered at Best Buy, Game Stop, etc., but have managed to buy 2 of the WalMart ones w/o trying too hard. One was layaway, the other was a preorder.

There was another guy buying via the layaway method just behind me. I am pretty sure I heard him order quantity 12!!

acromexigirl said:   don't really like cons that sell things for more than they're worth. They're even greedier for money than even apple or any other big company

Isn't that what all stores do?

Seriously STFU and stop derailing the thread. Its not illegal to resale merchandise. If you don't like it at a given price don't buy it. You want it then go spend 45 minutes at your local mind-numbing WalMart or stop trying to keep up with the Jones's.

Yo Ma-Ma said:   acromexigirl said:   don't really like cons that sell things for more than they're worth. They're even greedier for money than even apple or any other big companySimple solution, don't buy resold stuff that is marked up? I'm not convinced there will be a shortage of these at holiday time anyway. I completely missed the early ordering offered at Best Buy, Game Stop, etc., but have managed to buy 2 of the WalMart ones w/o trying too hard. One was layaway, the other was a preorder.

There was another guy buying via the layaway method just behind me. I am pretty sure I heard him order quantity 12!!

From what I have read / heard, neither is Nintendo.

just got 2 thanks OP. 1 for kids xmas 1 4 eBay

maybe is time to camp out!

Picked my layaway Wii U up at WalMart at midnight. They had sold 3 via layaway. They had 7 (4 white, 3 black) available in electronics which were not for layaway or preorder, which was probably about how many people were waiting to pick one up.

Skipping 13 Messages...
JoyOfCoupons said:   I take it that this deal is now dead and you can't "pre-order" using layaway anymore?

Since they are readily available in stores now, why would you "pre-order" one? That was a marketing gimmick.

As to law-a-way, guess some stores do that, check it our for the place you want to buy system.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014