• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
This is a great deal, it was $235 yesterday which is also a great deal. It's $399 at Dicks Sporting Goods with good reviews. Diamondback, decent brand, 700cc wheels, great for casual bike trail riding/commuting, could handle very mild off road trails, it's not a mountain bike, it's a hybrid with the ability to deal with some mild off road trails. Should be comfortable and durable. It's going to be faster than a comfort bike but it's not as fast as a road bike. It would handle city riding well, curbs, potholes, etc. It has a decent fork and double wall rims. It has rapid fire shifters which I prefer over grip shifters. Anyway, the components alone would be more than $204.53

The other sizes are more expensive although still a good deal IMO. The 22 inch is for people over 6 feet tall depending on the length of your legs and arms.

It's Amazon so the price could change any time

LINK

Member Summary

Diamondback 2012 Trace Dual Sport Bike
Thanks VBMcGB
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
The 22 inch is down to $204!

clearanceman (Oct. 24, 2012 @ 9:16a) |

Completely dead now.

clearanceman (Oct. 25, 2012 @ 5:19a) |

So hubby picked up the 18". It arrived in record time.

The box weighed in at 41.2 lbs
The assembled bike weighed 31.6 lbs.... (more)

Setintine (Oct. 27, 2012 @ 9:39p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

If you think it's a good deal, can you hit green? I'd like a shirt! Bike nashbar had this the other day on one of there special sales for $280 on free shipping day. It's the cheapest I've seen of it's type, it would be over $400 for a comparable bike at a bike shop.

The one bad review, the guy hit some debris and it broke his derailer. I had the exact same thing happen one time on my Specialized Crossroads. I ran over a stick on the bike trail and it got picked up and jammed between the derailer and the spokes and broke the derailer and a spoke. It's uncommon but possible and not the bike's fault at all.

Nice! Been in the market for a bike so I'm definitely in for one.

Thanks!

Anyone know the weight limits? I couldn't find it.

Was looking. Thanks OP

HeatR216 said:   Anyone know the weight limits? I couldn't find it.

I couldn't find the weight limits, usually these things are fine up to at least 250, 275 if you're not jumping it off the ground.

Found list price here, $499

LINK

Does anyone know how heavy this bike is? Could not find that information listed anywhere.
My hubby wanted something relatively lightweight for long distance.

Grabbed one

Thanks op

Setintine said:   Does anyone know how heavy this bike is? Could not find that information listed anywhere.

Usually people that want something lightweight for long distance are looking at minimum $600- $1000 road bikes. I'd check with him before you order.

Setintine said:   Does anyone know how heavy this bike is? Could not find that information listed anywhere

well Amazon's shipping weight is 25 lbs. so you know it doesn't weigh more than 25 lbs, probably about 20 lb w/o packaging.

ladydi said:   Setintine said:   Does anyone know how heavy this bike is? Could not find that information listed anywhere

well Amazon's shipping weight is 25 lbs. so you know it doesn't weigh more than 25 lbs, probably about 20 lb w/o packaging.

Absolutely not. No sub-$500 hybrid with a 20" frame is going to be under 30lbs. That shipping weight is not accurate unless they ship the wheels in a separate box.

Very good deal post, OP,

If this thing was under 20 lbs or even 25 lbs, at that price it's gotta be stolen goods!!

I scoured the net and didn't find the weight, but I imagine 30 lbs, with a fork like that I can't see it being under 30.

What size should I get? I'm 6'1" 180lbs and I work out regularly but I've been wanting to pick up a bike.

I have a POS w-mart "mountain" bike that's years old. Doubt I paid 100 bucks for it. Not much fun to ride and it's always making odd noises (misaligned this and that i'm sure).

Seems a no-brainer to get this vs. just about anything else since I don't ride 50+ miles a week. In for 1 - thanks OP. Maybe I can get someone to pick up the tab for my bday

More specs for those interested:

Bike Gender:Men's
Bike Wheel Size:700c
Number of Speeds:21 Speed
Frame:Trace 6061-T6 butted aluminum dual-sport with formed top and down tube, forged drop outs, integrated chainstay disc brake mount
Gear Type:ShimanoŽ HG-20 7-speed (12-32t)
Shifters:ShimanoŽ EF-51 Easyfire 7-speed
Front Derailleur:ShimanoŽ Acera dual pull, top swing, 31.8
Rear Derailleur:ShimanoŽ Altus
Crankset:SR SuntourŽ XCT with chainguard 28/38/48t
Chain:KMC-Z51
Brakes:Alloy
Fork:SR SuntourŽ NVX-700c, 75mm travel, 28mm stanchions, alloy lower, alloy crown
Front Suspension Travel:75mm
Headset:Ahead 1 1/8"
Stem: DB AL6061 Ahead 7° 31.8mm
Handlebars: DB Lazer Series 31.8mm low rise
Grips:AvenirŽ Ergo 3-D Comfort
Seat Post: DB Lazer Series Micro Adjust 27.2mm
Seat:AvenirŽ Series 200 black
Pedals:Wellgo Alloy forged, CNC MTB
Hubset:32h SL-7 alloy (front); 32h SL-7 alloy cassette (rear)
Rims:32h Weinmann SL-7 double wall
Spokes:14g stainless steel
Tires:InnovaŽ DualSport 700x40c

Al3xK said:   What size should I get? I'm 6'1" 180lbs and I work out regularly but I've been wanting to pick up a bike.

Most likely the 20 inch unless you have very short legs for your height.

Diamondback fit calculator on this page.

http://www.diamondback.com/trace-mountain-hardtail-dual-sport#_f...

Lower right side of page.

my boyfriend has been eyeing around for a new bike. Timing was good and he just bought it. You down with OP! Yeah you know me.

Wow this bike is fast. Just checked out and 30 minutes later is "shipping soon" already!

How do I change my handle (pun intended) into "Lousy Biker"?

I think the prices went back up.

Looks like this was a pricing mistake. It now says Price = 287.24, You save 212.76.....

Not $217.88 any more.

Ok. I had to say that the bike is really cool and cheap.

total bike newb with this newer tech. does the front wheel have a quick disconnect? Are disc or pad brakes better? I like the idea of disc brakes but wonder what the performance is. found the bike specs

$287 now....DEAD

The 22" frame is only $257.55

Yes on the disconnect, disc brakes are cool but only good disc brakes. It's not worth it for the street. Road bikes don't even have suspension forks much less disc brakes. You only need disc brakes on a mountain bike. On the street, they just add weight and complexity.

poorfatkid said:   The 22" frame is only $257.55

So is the 16". $257.55 is still a good deal IMO. It's actually a very good deal. List is $499.

poorfatkid said:   The 22" frame is only $257.55 Perfect for us folks over 6' 6"

valeadmagnet said:   poorfatkid said:   The 22" frame is only $257.55 Perfect for us folks over 6' 6"

the 22 is probably a little small for over 6'6". I guess you would have to order and try it out.

Campinout said:   total bike newb with this newer tech. does the front wheel have a quick disconnect? Are disc or pad brakes better? I like the idea of disc brakes but wonder what the performance is. found the bike specs

Campinout, a quick FYI: the term you're looking for is "quick release skewer," often just referred to as a quick release.

Mine already arrived, but I can't ride it yet. I need valve adapters to inflate the tires, and it seems there aren't any in my neck of woods. Amaz0n came again to the rescue, but it will take them several more days to arrive.

g10ny said:   Mine already arrived, but I can't ride it yet. I need valve adapters to inflate the tires, and it seems there aren't any in my neck of woods. Amaz0n came again to the rescue, but it will take them several more days to arrive.

It has presta valves? Wow. Interesting. Both my mountain bikes have them but usually they aren't on a bike at this price point, usually a few hundred higher at least.

I got a bike pump from the local bike store. It's a specialized, they are about $35. They work extremely well and will work on both types of valves with no adapter.

Got mine today and wow.. nice ride. Luckily, I read the reviews on Amazon which mentioned the needed presta pump, so I went and picked one up at my local bike store. I had to adjust the front breaks a little bit and there seems to be a *click* on the left pedal when I push with any weight (most likely just my error in putting the pedal in, which I will fix when I get home) but for the 212.65 I paid for it, I must say this was (is, as even at current price, that's still a good deal) a great purchase that came at the right time. I was looking into getting this exact type of bike used from Craigslist, but do much prefer buying everything new.

Thanks again OP!

kain9i6 said:   Got mine today and wow.. nice ride. Luckily, I read the reviews on Amazon which mentioned the needed presta pump, so I went and picked one up at my local bike store. I had to adjust the front breaks a little bit and there seems to be a *click* on the left pedal when I push with any weight (most likely just my error in putting the pedal in, which I will fix when I get home) but for the 212.65 I paid for it, I must say this was (is, as even at current price, that's still a good deal) a great purchase that came at the right time. I was looking into getting this exact type of bike used from Craigslist, but do much prefer buying everything new.

Thanks again OP!

Awesome! I see if people are still buying that Fatwallet just added 3% CashBack for Amazon sports and outdoors. Wish it had been active when this was $212 but it's active now if anyone still buys a bike.

It looks like they might be getting ready to change the prices again. Says 238-319 or something, but when you click on the bikes they are different. $238 is pretty good.

clearanceman said:   kain9i6 said:   Got mine today and wow.. nice ride. Luckily, I read the reviews on Amazon which mentioned the needed presta pump, so I went and picked one up at my local bike store. I had to adjust the front breaks a little bit and there seems to be a *click* on the left pedal when I push with any weight (most likely just my error in putting the pedal in, which I will fix when I get home) but for the 212.65 I paid for it, I must say this was (is, as even at current price, that's still a good deal) a great purchase that came at the right time. I was looking into getting this exact type of bike used from Craigslist, but do much prefer buying everything new.

Thanks again OP!

Awesome! I see if people are still buying that Fatwallet just added 3% CashBack for Amazon sports and outdoors. Wish it had been active when this was $212 but it's active now if anyone still buys a bike.

It looks like they might be getting ready to change the prices again. Says 238-319 or something, but when you click on the bikes they are different. $238 is pretty good.

Price has changed again, as low as $238. The 20 is the MOST expensive now at $280...

$238.55 for 22 inch bike - super deal! I have been able to do price adjustment 2 times! Awesome!

In case anyone was still wondering about how heavy the bike is - net 16 kg, total package 18 kg. You do the conversion.

Prices have improved once again as low as $226 for 22 inch frame.... This is only semi dead.

Skipping 9 Messages...
So hubby picked up the 18". It arrived in record time.

The box weighed in at 41.2 lbs
The assembled bike weighed 31.6 lbs.

He had to tweak the front derailleur to get it to move between all gears, the rear was fine. However the rear brake works "slowly". ie it will brake as soon as pressed, however it only returns to its original position when the brake is released with a bit of lag.
Also there is a very soft "sighing" sound coming from the rear wheel area when he took it out for a spin. It sounds every few seconds - he could not pin point what was causing it yet.

Other than the above, he likes the bike quite a lot.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014