• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
So what did they actually do to the color on the EV's? Was it to make it better for home viewing?
If the color on the EV's isn't "bad', I don't see the reason to get the TV's. If you're already a fan enough to sit through the hours to watch the TV's, then spend the money and get the EV's. There's a *lot* you'll miss in the TV's. It wasn't left out of the TV's because it wasn't "good" material. It was left out because most wouldn't want to sit in the theater that long.

iamtheone said:   I digress from the actual deal but what is the difference between aspect ratio 1.77:1 (16x9) and 2.35:1. the 2011 link below says 2.35:1 and the 2012 version is 1.77:1
The film was probably shot in 2.35:1 (a typical cinema format). 16:9, of course, is the HDTV standard that was selected (which, IIRC, is half-way b/t 2.35:1 and 4:3). So, it's possible the 1.77:1 format is formatted for an HDTV (just as full-screen DVDs were formatted for 4:3 instead of being presented in the native widescreen, letterboxed format).

I bought this in my WalMart the other day for $9.

Hoogineer said:   iamtheone said:   I digress from the actual deal but what is the difference between aspect ratio 1.77:1 (16x9) and 2.35:1. the 2011 link below says 2.35:1 and the 2012 version is 1.77:1
The film was probably shot in 2.35:1 (a typical cinema format). 16:9, of course, is the HDTV standard that was selected (which, IIRC, is half-way b/t 2.35:1 and 4:3). So, it's possible the 1.77:1 format is formatted for an HDTV (just as full-screen DVDs were formatted for 4:3 instead of being presented in the native widescreen, letterboxed format).

For the Bluray, Amazon states it's 1.77:1, but reviews say it's a mistake, and that the one they got was 2.35:1. Maybe the same case here.

nice to watch before the Hobbit and good price especialy for Blu-Ray

Thanks for the info. I wonder why 2012 version is 20 bucks cheaper than the 2011 version though

Slickone said:   Hoogineer said:   iamtheone said:   I digress from the actual deal but what is the difference between aspect ratio 1.77:1 (16x9) and 2.35:1. the 2011 link below says 2.35:1 and the 2012 version is 1.77:1
The film was probably shot in 2.35:1 (a typical cinema format). 16:9, of course, is the HDTV standard that was selected (which, IIRC, is half-way b/t 2.35:1 and 4:3). So, it's possible the 1.77:1 format is formatted for an HDTV (just as full-screen DVDs were formatted for 4:3 instead of being presented in the native widescreen, letterboxed format).

For the Bluray, Amazon states it's 1.77:1, but reviews say it's a mistake, and that the one they got was 2.35:1. Maybe the same case here.

Finally arrived today. Price was $9.86 + shipping. $5 for Hobbit movie. I do get tried of slow WM shipping, but you can't beat the price.

dogmeat said:   Finally arrived today. Price was $9.86 + shipping. $5 for Hobbit movie. I do get tried of slow WM shipping, but you can't beat the price.Same here. $5 movie cash is lower than expected since every other time I've received such vouchers they were enough to cover the 2D admission completely (usually up to ~$9). Guess they are getting stingy with it, but at this price it's all good.

dogmeat said:   Finally arrived today. Price was $9.86 + shipping. $5 for Hobbit movie. I do get tried of slow WM shipping, but you can't beat the price.
And you don't have to walk into WalMart. Especially this time of year. (Yours may be less crazy.)

dmorris said:   I bought this in my WalMart the other day for $9.
DVD or blu-ray?

pricing coming up as $19 for me

price coming up as $19 for me

Has anyone received this set and read the fine print on the back of the case? Or heard a difference when watching the second and third movies?

Under Main Features It Lists

"1080p High Definition 16x9 2.4.1 DTS-HD Master Audio English 6.1 Dolby Digital Espanol 2.0 (The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Rings) & 5.1EX ( The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers and The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King) Subtitles: English SDH and Espanol."

Does this mean that the second and third movies only have the lower quality sound track?

The WalMart site lists AC, DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby Digital 5.1

A scan of the UPC barcode and an ISBN search came up empty.

I am saving my set for a present (maybe), so I don't want to open it if I'm going to return it.

kipper717 said:   Has anyone received this set and read the fine print on the back of the case? Or heard a difference when watching the second and third movies?

Under Main Features It Lists

"1080p High Definition 16x9 2.4.1 DTS-HD Master Audio English 6.1 Dolby Digital Espanol 2.0 (The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Rings) & 5.1EX ( The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers and The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King) Subtitles: English SDH and Espanol."

Does this mean that the second and third movies only have the lower quality sound track?

The WalMart site lists AC, DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby Digital 5.1

A scan of the UPC barcode and an ISBN search came up empty.

I am saving my set for a present (maybe), so I don't want to open it if I'm going to return it.


I've only watched the first one (this past weekend) and haven't put the other two in yet. It was in standard theatrical letterbox format. I don't have a killer sound system, so, unfortunately, I probably won't notice. Hopefully someone else will look at the expired thread and chime in.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 12:00AM CST (Midnight) tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.