windows 8 upgrade for 14.99

Archived From: Expired Deals
  • 1 2 34517
  • Page
  • Text Only
Great deal!

briantek said:   You do NOT need to use their new user interface. You can disable it and have an experience much like Windows 7.

you have to use it every time you boot

it's asking me for a product key.

delete

hey guys, I have already installed a trial W8 Pro version over a W7 Home Premium and kept all my files and settings. Now if I get this copy do you think I will be able to install over the W8 and again keep the previous stuff or it NEEDS to be a clean install. Thanks

Here is a great article on why you should upgrade to Windows 8.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2411451,00.asp

I upgraded my Windows 7 desktop to Windows 8 yesterday. For the first hour I was a little frustrated while I was learning where everything was and how to get to where I wanted to go. Also, initially my computer seemed to be slower. I was starting to feel sorry that I made the move. But, as the evening went on I began to like it more and more, and my computer seemed to get faster, more responsive. Well, by today I have to tell you that I absolutely love Windows 8. The live tiles are great. I went on to my wife's Windows 7 laptop this evening, and I felt like I went back in time. Couldn't wait to get back to my "new" desktop.
I like it so much, I will now probably get a Windows 8 phone.

Thought I am hesitant about upgrading, this is still a fantastic deal. I'm thinking about running 8 as a HTPC frontend.

Questions for anyone that knows the answer:

1. Does this download actually give you a product key for 8? Or is it somehow embedded in the installer itself?
2. Can this be used just like win7 upgrades with the clean install workaround? (Meaning you install an OS without activating, then run the win7, or in this case win8, upgrade disc to do a clean install)
3. What type of licensing does this give? 1 user, 1 pc? retail or oem? x86 and x64?

Is anyone getting stuck on Zip Code? It won't accept mine. I even looked up the full code and it doesn't work.

It's very strange. I tried to do it twice. The first time, I was not asked to enter a Windows 7 product key. Everything went smoothly and I was given a Windows 8 product key. The Upgrade Assistant program is downloading the ISO image at the moment. However, I was asked for a Windows 7 product key on the second attempt on the same computer I had been using. I wonder if anybody has an explanation for this.

Thank you.

Is this version you can download Windows Media Center?

Also, what about when it says Itunes authorized PCs? Will songs I bought on itunes NO longer work?

I have used this work around 2 times tonight to upgrade to Acer Aspire laptops. I have not been asked for any windows 7 product keys on either of the upgrades I did. Hope that you can get it figured out.

Does this upgrade works for Vista?

anybody know how to create a bootable DVD with the downloaded files?

good question... i'm running win7 64-bit and did the purchase and am going through the upgrade process as i type this (using laptop as desktop pc installs)..... it didnt ask which version i wanted/needed, so hopefully it's autodetecting all that and installing what's needed...

gti said:   Do you get any Win8 license key with this?? What happen if your hard drive crashed later and you have to reinstall Win8 from scratch?? Assuming you have the .iso or media.

You do. Follow the direction here:
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/a/clean-install-windows-...

Each person's downloaded iso is slightly different. I wonder if the iso is unique/locked to one computer.

How many of you can download the iso on one computer, and install it on another ?

Thinking that Microsoft doesn't have a process to verify things down the road and deactivate your Windows 8 if they chose to is probably naive.

Thanks SSi. Got mine.

gtdad said:   Here is a great article on why you should upgrade to Windows 8.

Let me do a rebuttal on this pathetic article:

1. "Faster startup." - I have an SSD that boots Win7 in under 45 seconds. I reboot about every three months. I save 20 seconds every three months?

2. "A whole new world of apps. Windows 8 gives PC users a whole new world of full-screen, touch-friendly, Web-connected apps to explore." As opposed to my other Windows 7 applications that are not full-screen? Not web connected? Touch-unfriendly on a screen that doesn't handle touch?

3. "SkyDrive integration." One word: DropBox.

4. "Better Security, Less-intrusive updates." All new software has better security...because a million Chinese hackers haven't had their hands on it long enough to hack it. By the way, I'm glad that Microsoft's new product is "less intrusive" than its old one.

5. "First-class touch input, but still fine with keyboard and mouse." I keep touching my screens and they don't do anything. Fail.

If anybody has a spare promo code for 14.99$ I'd appreciate it greatly, maybe throw in a couple a Steam game or two left over from bundles.

Hi,

Can i upgrade my Win Xp machine using this?

Misunderstood, nevermind

5ive said:   Hi,

Can i upgrade my Win Xp machine using this?

This is supposed to apply only on computers purchased after June 2012 (or s/t like that).
If this condition is not satisfied, what people are doing is generally called fraud. MS is a money-thirsty company, no doubt about it. The issue is if people want to use illegal versions, why also they want to pay for it?
The right way to upgrade for older computers is only the $40 option.
It is just amazing how people act in these situations. They know what is legal and what is not. But they want to define a semi-legal grey area like they are law-makers or they know better than the company.
Red for a misleading and illegal post unless s/b can prove that MS is ok with $15 upgrade for all computers regardless of time of purchase.

Thanks OP. $20 is the correct price for new OS - just got it for myself

link626 said:   Each person's downloaded iso is slightly different. I wonder if the iso is unique/locked to one computer.

How many of you can download the iso on one computer, and install it on another ?

They are trying to do more security than before as Windows 7 has been easy to run a cracked version. Think I read they matching keys to bios and motherboard along with other things.

worked perfectly for me, will try and install to my computer sometime this week

cyfan said:   gtdad said:   Here is a great article on why you should upgrade to Windows 8.

Let me do a rebuttal on this pathetic article:

1. "Faster startup." - I have an SSD that boots Win7 in under 45 seconds. I reboot about every three months. I save 20 seconds every three months?

2. "A whole new world of apps. Windows 8 gives PC users a whole new world of full-screen, touch-friendly, Web-connected apps to explore." As opposed to my other Windows 7 applications that are not full-screen? Not web connected? Touch-unfriendly on a screen that doesn't handle touch?

3. "SkyDrive integration." One word: DropBox.

4. "Better Security, Less-intrusive updates." All new software has better security...because a million Chinese hackers haven't had their hands on it long enough to hack it. By the way, I'm glad that Microsoft's new product is "less intrusive" than its old one.

5. "First-class touch input, but still fine with keyboard and mouse." I keep touching my screens and they don't do anything. Fail.

#1 - most people is not into energy wasting.

Is there anyway if I choose the USB drive route I can put it on a CD later?

And, please answer my question 64-bit, etc

Windows 8 doesn't really suck so bad. Interface-speaking, I just realized it is Windows 7 minus a Start button PLUS a Metro interface addon.

For another $5 Start button comes back.

JediFreeStuff said:   Windows 8 doesn't really suck so bad. Interface-speaking, I just realized it is Windows 7 minus a Start button PLUS a Metro interface addon.

For another $5 Start button comes back.

meh. I'm not impressed so far. Maybe I will be in a day or two, but I doubt it.

As for all the whiners speaking of the legalities, my copy is legal as it was paid for and downloaded on a Win7 PC desktop purchased in September, and even if others have PCs that pre-date the June purchase cut-off date, Microsoft is definitely checking individual systems before allowing 8 to be installed or saved for later installation, and to be honest, I think Microsoft would have trouble selling many copies of this for non-touchscreen systems for $5.

So please STFU already. Thank you.

i guess this arvato is MS?

cyberpitstop said:   this download isnt comming from MS so isnt this like paying for something you can get for FREE, I mean either way it's illeagal so why pay. I am sticking with old Win 7 by the way.

The upgrade offer for $15 IS COMING DIRECTLY FROM MICROSOFT. You're just the latest to repeat this myth about it being pushed by a non-MS source.

yea ur right i did a little more research and deleted my post BUT I AM STILL CORRECT if you lie about your purchase date etc you are doing the download illegally plain and simple.

Pretty exciting stuff. Is this a HUGE file?

I encourage everyone to read the FAQ on the site. Many of our questions are answered there.

Specifically, many want to know if they can use this on their XP/Vista machines and the answer is YES.

From the FAQ: "Do I have to install the Windows 8 upgrade on the eligible PC, or can I install it on another PC?
The upgrade offer is tied to a Windows 7 PC purchased from June 2nd, 2012 through January 31, 2013, but you can choose to redeem the offer and install the upgrade on any compatible Windows-based PC with a qualifying base operating system."

Only Vista and 7 Starter editions will not work.

EradicateSpam said:   Thinking that Microsoft doesn't have a process to verify things down the road and deactivate your Windows 8 if they chose to is probably naive.
"Microsoft is deactivating Windows 8 for users that got it with a discount" - it is na´ve to think they want those headlines everywhere

kingaroonie, according to the FAQ, the size of the downloaded file is around 2gb.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014