windows 8 upgrade for 14.99

Archived From: Expired Deals
  • 123 4 517
  • Page
  • Text Only
Q for those who have upgraded from Win7 Ultimate to Win8 Pro w/o a clean install ... did all of your files and programs get ported automatically or did you have to reinstall programs? Looking for confirmation that the following is true:

"If you want to upgrade to the consumer version of Windows 8, *** you’ll be able to keep all of your existing settings, files, and applications *** only if you’re upgrading from Windows 7 Starter, Windows 7 Home Basic, and Windows 7 Home Premium. If you want to get Windows 8 Pro, you’ll need Windows 7 Starter, Windows 7 Home Basic, Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional, or Windows 7 Ultimate to *** keep all settings, files, and applications. *** "

for Vista/XP folks (unverified): "If you’re running Windows Vista or Windows XP, don’t worry. You’ll still be able to get Windows 8. But there is bad news: Windows Vista and XP users will only be able to maintain personal files — that is, settings and applications will have to start off fresh. And you’ll need Service Pack 3 or higher if you’re upgrading from Windows XP. "

FYI from the Upgrade Assistant webpage that you get to as part of the process. I got the key for free via the link this section of the page sends you to.

Is Windows Media Center included in my upgrade?

No. If you want to install Windows Media Center, you need to buy the Windows 8 Media Center Pack after you upgrade to Windows 8. For more info, see the Add features webpage

FSGilbert said:   FYI from the Upgrade Assistant webpage that you get to as part of the process. I got the key for free via the link this section of the page sends you to.

No. If you want to install Windows Media Center, you need to buy the Windows 8 Media Center Pack after you upgrade to Windows 8. For more info, see the Add features webpage

" For a limited time, get Windows 8 Media Center Pack for free ** "

Now I am able to download Window8. Seems system is backup.

Ugh! I'm upgrading from Vista and just got the message, Windowsinstallation was not successful. Your previous version of Windows is being restored.

I hope this didn't screw my laptop up.

So, the details say you need to run the Download Upgrade Assistant on the computer you want to upgrade. It that true? Can't just download it now, burn to DVD, and use the DVD+Key later on another system??

Danzilla said:   So, the details say you need to run the Download Upgrade Assistant on the computer you want to upgrade. It that true? Can't just download it now, burn to DVD, and use the DVD+Key later on another system??
You can. You run assistant and purchase inside of it. You download W8 and can install it right away or make .iso file. I did the 2nd, installed 2 hrs later using the code Microsoft sent.

Does Microsoft still let you install one copy on a desktop and one on a laptop or do I need two licenses?

77Rus said:   Danzilla said:   So, the details say you need to run the Download Upgrade Assistant on the computer you want to upgrade. It that true? Can't just download it now, burn to DVD, and use the DVD+Key later on another system??
You can. You run assistant and purchase inside of it. You download W8 and can install it right away or make .iso file. I did the 2nd, installed 2 hrs later using the code Microsoft sent.

Or you can download it onto a USB drive, which brings up a minor question: For those of you who downloaded this to DVD or USB drive, did you still get a little blue desktop with green arrow icon that is labeled "Install Windows" on the PC you used to download it?

balor124 said:   Does Microsoft still let you install one copy on a desktop and one on a laptop or do I need two licenses?

I THINK you can only install one copy per PC, so that you'd have to pay 2x and get 2 separate keys for use on 2 separate systems.

You can purchase up to 5 keys/licenses at this price, though.

JesseLivermore said:   77Rus said:   Danzilla said:   So, the details say you need to run the Download Upgrade Assistant on the computer you want to upgrade. It that true? Can't just download it now, burn to DVD, and use the DVD+Key later on another system??

Or you can download it onto a USB drive, which brings up a minor question: For those of you who downloaded this to DVD or USB drive, did you still get a little blue desktop with green arrow icon that is labeled "Install Windows" on the PC you used to download it?

Yes icon and path/directories all there. The ISO contents also exists in c:\ESD .... I assume the icon install will pick up the stuff from there if you choose to.

I used it on Windows 8 Release Preview and it worked great. It didn't ask for anything.

gti said:   JesseLivermore said:   77Rus said:   Danzilla said:   So, the details say you need to run the Download Upgrade Assistant on the computer you want to upgrade. It that true? Can't just download it now, burn to DVD, and use the DVD+Key later on another system??

Yes icon and path/directories all there. The ISO contents also exists in c:ESD .... I assume the icon install will pick up the stuff from there if you choose to.

Thanks for confirming.

I called MS & asked if this was ok to do. J/k. don't red light me.. I'm wondering if i save this & burn it as an ISO, if the day comes when MS catches this. Can they block it somehow once i connect to the internet, then make me pay more to get a validation key? (more then a sale price)

really..? asdfasdf2, joelkirzner, mistadeal, washerebefore.. even if i did call, like i would ever get through to there CS. my feelings are hurt.. you showed me.

If you are considering this WIN 8 offer, I strongly suggest that you run the Upgrade Assistant. After running it I came across this bit of info. "If your PC doesn't support PAE, NX, and SSE2 you won’t be able to install Windows 8. Upgrade Assistant will provide you with an error message if your processor doesn't support PAE and SSE2. You'll also see a notice if the processor might not support NX or if NX is turned off in the PC BIOS. Windows 8 Setup will attempt to turn on NX during installation and, if it isn't able to, will return your PC to the current operating system."
In other words, if you have an older (mine is 2004) computer, Win 8 may not install, but you will have already paid your $15 to find that out. Mine does run Win 7 fine.

Not sure what happen, went thru the entire process, use the code to bring the price back to $14.99, pay with paypal, it went thru. No confirmation page and received an error page. Check paypal and the charge went thru. They even email me the windows media pack product key. Yet I have no confirmation number or product key for windows 8. Contact customer service at the below number and they send me to microsoft, microsoft transfer me back to the upgrade offer dept. its been 5 hours and still no confirmation key. Go figure.

Support Hours: 08:00 – 1:00 am M-F, Noon – 8pm Sat-Sun (UTC - 5) EST
Telephone: 877-254-4698

After payment and download, you will get the menu to:
1. Install now
2. Install by creating media
3. Install later from your desktop

Choose Option 2, then you will get the option for:
a) USB flash drive. It needs to be at least 3 GB.
b) ISO file. You'll need to burn the ISO file to a DVD later.

Does anyone here understand what fraud is? What a bunch of conscienceless thieves.

mhsuffhrdd said:   Does anyone here understand what fraud is? What a bunch of conscienceless thieves.

Forums poster mhsuffhrdd has 5 posts, every one negative. Forums poster mhsuffhrdd needs to relax and not worry about other posters on fatwallet.com.

The MS system works and has checks built-in. If you put in old Windows 7 keys, it will reject your claim.

miqie said:   If you are considering this WIN 8 offer, I strongly suggest that you run the Upgrade Assistant. After running it I came across this bit of info. "If your PC doesn't support PAE, NX, and SSE2 you won’t be able to install Windows 8. Upgrade Assistant will provide you with an error message if your processor doesn't support PAE and SSE2. You'll also see a notice if the processor might not support NX or if NX is turned off in the PC BIOS. Windows 8 Setup will attempt to turn on NX during installation and, if it isn't able to, will return your PC to the current operating system."
In other words, if you have an older (mine is 2004) computer, Win 8 may not install, but you will have already paid your $15 to find that out. Mine does run Win 7 fine.

I am sure some of you will ask what are PAE, NX AND SSE2. (I did)

Here you go.
PAE, NX AND SSE2

Physical Address Extension (PAE), NX processor bit (NX), and Streaming SIMD Extensions 2 (SSE2) refer to features of the processor. PAE enables 32-bit processors to access more than 4 GB of physical memory on capable versions of Windows and is a prerequisite for NX. NX allows the processor to help guard the PC from attacks by malicious software. SSE2 (a standard on processors for a long time) is an instruction set that is increasingly used by third-party apps and drivers. For Windows 8, for your malware defense features to work reliably we require that your processor support NX. To enhance the reliability of third-party apps and drivers running in Windows 8, SSE2 is also required. If your PC doesn't support PAE, NX, and SSE2 you won’t be able to install Windows 8. Upgrade Assistant will provide you with an error message if your processor doesn't support PAE and SSE2. You'll also see a notice if the processor might not support NX or if NX is turned off in the PC BIOS. Windows 8 Setup will attempt to turn on NX during installation and, if it isn't able to, will return your PC to the current operating system.

HKSturboKid said:   Not sure what happen, went thru the entire process, use the code to bring the price back to $14.99, pay with paypal, it went thru. No confirmation page and received an error page. Check paypal and the charge went thru. They even email me the windows media pack product key. Yet I have no confirmation number or product key for windows 8. Contact customer service at the below number and they send me to microsoft, microsoft transfer me back to the upgrade offer dept. its been 5 hours and still no confirmation key. Go figure.

You would get the media pack product key by signing up for the Windows 8 Media Center Pack
which MS is giving away for the time being. Did you go here and do that?

When the charge went through for the Windows 8 upgrade, you should have received an email with the Windows
8 product key. Did you check your junk mail folder?

There's always one jagoff in the lot of them.

Always one that blabs to everyone.

Always that who thinks "I want people to like me so I'm gonna give them something that will persuade them to like me"

Always one whom lacks that part of the brain that says, "this is really a 'word-of-mouth' thing and maybe I shouldn't put this on a system that broadcasts to millions upon millions which will ultimately shut the offer down early if not immediately.

Always one tard will to "cross the line" by perpetuation a dishonest scam with more lies.

THIS IS DISHONEST, and while I acknowledge that GOD granted us IT Peeps the means to work our way around things with the intelligence we already have, I don't condone disseminating info that pushes those to lie, cheat and steal.

"Livingdivineus" is that "jagoff, tard, and dishonest liar" that will F this up for the rest of the "word-of-mouth" community.

YOU ARE REQUIRED TO HAVE PURCHASED A NEW COMPUTER IN THE REQUIRED TIME.

Livingdivineus......................STFU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kenmoreland said:   HKSturboKid said:   Not sure what happen, went thru the entire process, use the code to bring the price back to $14.99, pay with paypal, it went thru. No confirmation page and received an error page. Check paypal and the charge went thru. They even email me the windows media pack product key. Yet I have no confirmation number or product key for windows 8. Contact customer service at the below number and they send me to microsoft, microsoft transfer me back to the upgrade offer dept. its been 5 hours and still no confirmation key. Go figure.

You would get the media pack product key by signing up for the Windows 8 Media Center Pack

When the charge went through for the Windows 8 upgrade, you should have received an email with the Windows

For those of us who haven't installed 8 yet, is there a way to download media center pack and save it as well?

My understanding is that Windows 8 has to be already installed and running in order to be able to download media center for 8.

JesseLivermore said:   
For those of us who haven't installed 8 yet, is there a way to download media center pack and save it as well?

My understanding is that Windows 8 has to be already installed and running in order to be able to download media center for 8.

If you installed the Windows 8 Pro upgrade and created a USB or DVD installation meida then the Media Center 8 pack is already on that install media. You just need the key to activate it.

cnIsfg said:   JesseLivermore said:   

If you installed the Windows 8 Pro upgrade and created a USB or DVD installation meida then the Media Center 8 pack is already on that install media. You just need the key to activate it.

Great stuff. Thank you for that concise explanation b/c I was confused about that.

You should select North America and than USA ! Any other countries select will result in asking for your windows 7 COA !

Just for heads up if you want both ISO and USB version.. I almost order my second serial number as I want it both media and USB.
You will need to go to this site.. (or just check you receipt from the email for the link)
https://www.mswos.com/
and fill in your order info..
Under the print receipt you will see

Windows 8 Order Complete:
Your Windows 8 order has been completed. You can download and install Windows 8 if you have not already done so.
Click here to download Windows 8. <-- This will let you download Windows8-Setup.exe

Just run it and you will see the option2 to make USB and ISO.
For you USB, you will need to have 4Gb stick in the PC first and it will do the format for you.

kenmoreland said:   HKSturboKid said:   Not sure what happen, went thru the entire process, use the code to bring the price back to $14.99, pay with paypal, it went thru. No confirmation page and received an error page. Check paypal and the charge went thru. They even email me the windows media pack product key. Yet I have no confirmation number or product key for windows 8. Contact customer service at the below number and they send me to microsoft, microsoft transfer me back to the upgrade offer dept. its been 5 hours and still no confirmation key. Go figure.

Hi kenmoreland,

When I put in my credentials for paypal, it went thru and then an error page popped up with no confirmation/receipt. I check my email and junk folders and nothing. The only thing I got was an email from paypal confirming that it was charged.

I'll contact them again tomorrow. Thanks.

Windows 7 = Vista 2
Windows 8 = Windows 3.5

You don't need to do that to get a second copy on USB. There's a link on the desktop 'download windows', if you click that it's going to give you the 3 options, and you can create as many copies as you want.

poisonz said:   Just for heads up if you want both ISO and USB version.. I almost order my second serial number as I want it both media and USB.
You will need to go to this site.. (or just check you receipt from the email for the link)
https://www.mswos.com/
and fill in your order info..
Under the print receipt you will see

Windows 8 Order Complete:
Your Windows 8 order has been completed. You can download and install Windows 8 if you have not already done so.
Click here to download Windows 8. <-- This will let you download Windows8-Setup.exe

Just run it and you will see the option2 to make USB and ISO.
For you USB, you will need to have 4Gb stick in the PC first and it will do the format for you.

Followed everything and burned it to DVD. I'll probably install it tomorrow. For those that installed it, are you impressed or is it same-o same-o ?

kingaroonie said:   Followed everything and burned it to DVD. I'll probably install it tomorrow. For those that installed it, are you impressed or is it same-o same-o ?

I put it on a Windows tablet (Acer Iconia W500), seems to be a bit quicker, responsive, boots much faster. Not sure if there will be much of a benefit on a non-touchscreen laptop or desktop.

5ive said:   Can i upgrade my Win XP machine using this?For $39.99, according to a friend who bought a Windows 7 laptop a few weeks ago and wanted to upgrade it -- from his desktop running XP.

Anybody try this under Linux?

Thanks op, i downloaded it and put the iso on light-scribe dvd

flap said:   FSGilbert said:   FYI from the Upgrade Assistant webpage that you get to as part of the process. I got the key for free via the link this section of the page sends you to.

" For a limited time, get Windows 8 Media Center Pack for free ** "

Yesterday I signed up for the free Media Center with two different emails. Neither has received an email from Microsoft about this. Have others been receiving their Media Center keys via email using this link?

I am away from home and getting ready to get on the road. I had to pause my download. Think that's OK?

VirginiaDC said:   I am away from home and getting ready to get on the road. I had to pause my download. Think that's OK?

Yes the download option isn't going away even after this promotion ends. Even through this promotion you are still buying directly from Microsoft's regular online store. The only difference is that participating in this promotion you have a coupon to apply to your purchase.

I loaded Win 8 Friday and it seems to run the PC smoother then Win 7 so I am sold on it, you can still pull up your old desktop and I like some of the new options. I think most will like it a lot more in a short time.

i have dual boot on my PC which is XP and Win 7, win 8 upgrade assistant says" Secure Boot is not compatible with your PC so you won't be able to use in Windows 8" what is the solution for this?

not yet

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.