windows 8 upgrade for 14.99

Archived From: Expired Deals
  • 1131415 16 17
  • Page
  • Text Only
Also having problems with the Windows media center add on on my laptop that has windows 8

sweet in for 5

going to have to consolidate machines not enough win8 licenses for all SMB3/RDMA(QDR) network

Dont worry you guys. People didn't pay $15, let alone $200! Price will drop to free soon. Windows 8 is worthless.

mike54721 said:   Dont worry you guys. People didn't pay $15, let alone $200! Price will drop to free soon. Windows 8 is worthless.

Ehh only if a quicker, version of Windows 7 = worthless to you. Yes... Microsoft really messed up with that worthless Metro UI as the default upon loading, but it takes all of 1 minutes to remove that and get your start menu and desktop back.... Then it becomes Windows 7, but quicker.

True, I admit windows 8 under the GUI is great, but not too much different. I only see ReFS support which is nice, compared to the nasty GUI Ill stick with 7.

GudSpellur said:   netmaster911 said:   miserly said:   so this upgrade only works on win 7 , not vista?

For $15 bucks, I ordered one to test it out. Thanks OP.

You can upgrade from win 7, vista or even XP...

What about Microsoft Bob?

Great movie. Love Bill Murray...

WARNING:

If you received the "We couldn't process your order. Check your payment info and try again..." Message DO NOT KEEP TRYING.

Each time it CHARGES YOU, but you never Get the KEY or EMAIL CONFIRMATION.

WARNING WARNING WARNING

I posted here immediately to be helpful, but I don't know many details yet.

I found this link:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130131153226AApjYy...

and this link:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-windo...

That's right. Thread not found. Did MS delete the thread discussing this? I don't know.

calm down, they are just authorizations.

mike54721 said:   calm down, they are just authorizations.

I don't think so (but I'm not sure). I got one of these messages about 4 days ago and I don't think the money was ever returned.

This is a pre-emptive warning. Don't make it sound like its not useful information. There's no point in someone trying over and over. The only thing that might happen is bad, there is no good case scenario. If they are full charges one would have to deal with Microsoft to correct them all.

I promise they will drop, if not, you don't have to contact Microsoft at all

scoot said:   Keep in mind folks, if you have a spare drive, simply clone your existing OS onto it. Boot the cloned drive, make sure you have sufficient room for the upgrade and apply the Win 8 upgrade and the Media Center. Then you have it ready and waiting for you should you decide to play with it or make the switchover to Win 8 all for the cost of $15.
This is a great idea. I wish I had bought a spare internal 2TB from BB with the $50 coupon a week and a half ago. Oh well.

I tried to install onto an older external HDD and Windows setup denied me -- it prohibits installation onto USB or IEEE 1394 devices. I tried a bunch of different things so I wouldn't have to overwrite my Windows 7 install on my HTPC, including:
- Installing onto old HTPC via DVD (DVD wouldn't read)
- Installing onto old HTPC via USB (32-bit machine = no-go)
- Installing onto external HDD connected to new HTPC (prohibited -- see above)

Eventually I just installed Windows 8 onto a newly created partition on my HTPC -- I stole the space from my data partition. It's currently set up for Windows 7/8 dual-boot, which is not ideal, but it works and I have my Media Center key registered; that was my impetus to get it installed.

NOTE: While the Windows 8 Media Center promo ended yesterday, the code you receive doesn't expire until today, so you still have time to install it!

mike54721 said:   I promise they will drop, if not, you don't have to contact Microsoft at all

Oh mr Calmer downer

They haven't taken them off. Its like you are trying to lead me to the slaughter house. You 'promised' they would come back, then said I wouldn't have to talk to MS, but didn't say what to do.

I for one am so sick of people's logic that always leads to the slaughterhouse.

I put these on gift cards. Another posibility is since its a gift card AMEX is 'stealing by error'. And oh god don't tell me that's a conspiracy theory. I observe big and small business pilfer from me on a daily basis, especially supermarkets, restruants, and banks.

Thank you for advising I keep my guard down as i'm detecting I'm getting robbed... AGAIN. The charges from 4 days ago as well as the charges last night are still there.

I have a prepaid AMEX that wouldnt drop charges for 2 weeks. But remember you have AMEX, amazing chargeback capability.

mefirst13 said:   soccergods said:   Does anyone have a promo code to use? Please PM me if so. I tried legitimate info and it did not work for me Same here
me too...says i'm not eligible..

"Special upgrade offer

Until February 28, 2013, you’re eligible to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for just $14.99*. This is the best upgrade price and an amazing opportunity"

Offer extended!

Got a couple of requests for info on how to clone your OS drive and do the upgrade.

Get and install the cloning software of your choice. I used AOMEI Partition Assistant Home Edition
http://download.cnet.com/Aomei-Partition-Assistant-Home-Edition/...

Hook up your "spare drive" keeping in mind it must be large enough to hold your existing OS and have 20GB of free space for the download of Win 8 and whatever other space it requires to do the upgrade. At this point you can either use a USB drive (case or dock) or shut down and hook the spare up to your motherboard (preferred).

Turn your PC back on if you did the latter. Run the cloning software. Just to make sure it worked ok you should now shut down the PC and disconnect your original OS drive. Turn your PC back on. It should boot from the "spare drive" now. If it doesn't make sure you have the drive in the BIOS boot menu. Once you are satisfied that the cloning worked you can either upgrade your original OS drive or the copy. Someone has already stated that it will not upgrade a USB connected drive so if you used a USB connected drive in a case you need to make a decision. Option 1 - Remove USB drive from its case (possible warranty issue) and connect to the motherboard by disconnecting the original drive and connecting the clone drive or Option 2 - Upgrade the original OS drive and depend on the USB drive as your way back to Win 7 (if you were able to boot the USB copy you should be able to clone it back to the original drive)

You should now be in a position to start here http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/upgrade-to-windows-...

update: giveawayoftheday.com has the full version of above software for free today only, Sunday, Feb 3

kcee said:   "Special upgrade offer

Until February 28, 2013, you’re eligible to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for just $14.99*. This is the best upgrade price and an amazing opportunity"

Offer extended!

Windows 8 adoption must be pretty low.

TheGhoul said:   kcee said:   "Special upgrade offer

Offer extended!

Lol agreed. They probably sat there as midnight struck on the 31st and said "un-oh...people aren't buying at $39...in no way will they pay $199?! EXTEND IT!!"

I'd probably upgrade if Lenovo fixed the missing power manager. Until then, it's a no-go for my X230. Win7 just hums along with zero issues.

Personally, I feel Apple killed high update costs. MSFT will have to permanently lower the price. Nobody will consciously pay two hundred dollars when the general market demands like $20 for OS updates. It's just the way society has changed and Ballmer can't deal with it..but he will be forced to if they want to keep pumping out updates.

The days of $500 OSs are over.

Worked today Feb 2nd. No asking of Win7 key, no calling to activate. Saved as ISO, made it USB key bootable, reinstalled on clean formatted partition (as full version). Win7 was 32bit with 64bit CPU, Win8Pro upgrade I got is 32bit too (depends on original win7?).

PS: When buying the update, it asks you to input a credit card number after choosing a $199 update, makes you think you are buying it at $199. However, there is an additional step after that gives you a chance to input that code from the email you will get. Then total becomes $16 with some pennies.

Finally was able to install Windows 8 after running into technical difficulties. Had to do fresh install because of not meeting the 20GB required space and called tech support to activate key. Wasn't able to install MCE because of the deadline.

coolbreeze said:   TheGhoul said:   kcee said:   "Special upgrade offer

Offer extended!

Lol agreed. They probably sat there as midnight struck on the 31st and said "un-oh...people aren't buying at $39...in no way will they pay $199?! EXTEND IT!!"

I'd probably upgrade if Lenovo fixed the missing power manager. Until then, it's a no-go for my X230. Win7 just hums along with zero issues.

Personally, I feel Apple killed high update costs. MSFT will have to permanently lower the price. Nobody will consciously pay two hundred dollars when the general market demands like $20 for OS updates. It's just the way society has changed and Ballmer can't deal with it..but he will be forced to if they want to keep pumping out updates.

I got the x230 too. Upgraded to SSD and 16 gb of ram and my programs work! Hard to justify the extra ssd write cycle. LOL

Question, does the update become locked to that computer or will I be able to re-install later on a new build (new mobo and etc) ?

BlueLetterD said:   Question, does the update become locked to that computer or will I be able to re-install later on a new build (new mobo and etc) ?

You will get a message that says it is already on use on another computer. So yes, it will be locked to the original. However, you will be able to call and change that through their automated system.

The upgrade is locked to the computer it's activated on, not the computer it's purchased with.

Gpz1100 said:   The upgrade is locked to the computer it's activated on, not the computer it's purchased with.
That's not entirely accurate. The Windows 8 product key you receive (ie 32-bit or 64-Bit) is determined by the computer that runs the Windows 8 upgrade advisor. IOW the product key can only be used to install the same 32 or 64 bit version of the Windows 8 upgrade as the computer that requestd the product key for the upgrade. You cannot change between the 32-bit and 64-bit versions even with the automated phone activation system.

^^Not entirely accurate either

You are right, the version that you download with the computer used to purchase will match that computer in terms of 32/64 bit. However, the key that's provided will activate either a 32 or 64 bit media.

coolbreeze said:   TheGhoul said:   kcee said:   "Special upgrade offer

Offer extended!

Hey CB -

I'm rockin' a Thinkpad X220 myself with Windows 7, and couldn't agree more with everything you've stated so succinctly.

The landscape for operating systems, in terms of pricing power and in terms of end user options, has gone through faster and more radical change in the last three years than it had in the previous 20.

The transition to tablets, smart phones, and the accompanying Apple OS or Android platform, has only added to the woes of any software company like Microsoft that thinks it's going to be able to price something like an operating system as an oligopoly could.

On top of all this, the few benefits that Windows 8 does offer the end user versus Window 7 are literally so marginal as to be nearly arbitrary, even as Windows 8 imposes a separate set of headaches (interface, drivers, compatibility with other hardware) that many if not most people do not wish to deal with.

I can't even imagine the how big a headache large companies currently using Windows 7 are going to get as they contemplate all the resources that will be required to adopt Windows 8. It will be a literal nightmare.

Gpz1100 said:   ^^Not entirely accurate either

You are right, the version that you download with the computer used to purchase will match that computer in terms of 32/64 bit. However, the key that's provided will activate either a 32 or 64 bit media.

^ Yup. And even if you install and activate the 32bit version, you can reinstall and reactivate as the 64bit on the same computer without having to call in (at least that was my experience back in Oct). Ended up installing Win8 3 times in order to get to 64bit.

To expand on previous posts...

I requested a product key on one computer, redeemed and purchased win8 pro (for ~16) on another computer, and ultimately ended up using the win8 pro on a brand new build. This to me would leave me to believe that the product key is not tied in to any particular system.

The trick for a fresh win8 install is to install windows(xp, vista, 7) on the system first. No need to activate. Then run the win8 pro upgrade disc, and it will allow you to upgrade as a clean install, and should activate no problem.

JesseLivermore said:   
I can't even imagine the how big a headache large companies currently using Windows 7 are going to get as they contemplate all the resources that will be required to adopt Windows 8. It will be a literal nightmare.

Yeah, my [large corporation] JUST upgraded from XP and Office 2003 to Win7 and Office 2010. Rest assured we will run this for the next decade, or whenever MSFT drops support for it. Fact is, corporate IT departments just won't dip into the Win8 madness. Our employees are already having a nightmare with the usability changes (which are minimal) and it's basically the same as what we had! If we went to Win8, there would be anarchy and revolt.

That says something. Win8 is neat for consumers, but the enterprise market? Mr. Ballmer, I wish you the best sir.

Exactly the same scenario as above. Probably something like 20,000 systems. They just completed the rollout in October 2012. Started maybe beginning of January 2012 to rollout after probably 2+ years of whatever was behind it all.

I don't really have a problem with what Microsoft is doing. I think that Microsoft knows that the flagship operating system is still Windows 7. It's at 45% market share and I imagine that will only grow as XP is phased out. What do they care if people replace XP with 7 or 8? They still make money.

But they had to do this. I currently run Win8 on four computers - One laptop, one traditional desktop and two htpc's. The htpc's are where Win8 shines. If you install Splashtop on a tablet and run Win 8 on your TV, you have a fantastic TV interface. It really is very good. And that's the dirty little secret. No one needs to buy Surface because you can run Win8 nicely from an iPad or Android tablet. So, installing Win8 on your old desktop or laptop opens incredible opportunities if you also own a tablet - which most people do now. That's probably the most important reason to do this upgrade.

I do realize that 8 is a bit odd on a traditional desktop, but it works fine. Every edition of Windows has its quirks. And people can buy those usb touchpad devices to set on the desktop to simulate the touchscreen.

The first hardware with Win8 has not been very good. However, the software itself is fantastic in my mind. Microsoft is no longer a joke in terms of tablet and cell phone software. And the beauty of having 90%+ market share on the desktops is that Microsoft has time to make sure the hardware gets done right.

My best guess is that it all merges together anyway. People are already bringing all the operating systems to school and work now. And there are lots of ways to merge the operating systems - Splashtop, itunes on PC, vnc, Ubuntu on Android, Android on Blackberry, Bluestacks Android on PC. And the companies themselves make money on each other's products given patent holdings and cross-company financial arrangements.

I bet on the grand unified theory of operating systems.

HI

I ran the compatibility program from Microsoft. According, to them windows 8 cant run Microsoft Office 2003. Is there a workaround to this? Also, it says my pcs firmware doesnt support Secure Boot, so i wont be able to use it in windows 8. My computer is current.
Its a MSI AMD3 machine. What do you guys think?

It's asking for my Win7 Key every time I tried. I enter my key, and it says I'm not eligible for this update. How are people getting in without having to enter their Win7 Key?

I tried a couple of times, (With date of sept6, 2012, Nov 6, 2012, Dec 12, 2012, and brand of Sony, Lenovo) always get a sorry message. Anyone has the problem?

Unfortunately, based on the information you provided during the registration process you are not eligible for the upgrade offer.

Please refer to the program requirements.
Your Reference ID: WU1868701740

briantek said:   You do NOT need to use their new user interface. You can disable it and have an experience much like Windows 7.

this  free software makes Windows 8 more like Windows 7:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/classicshell/

what's the point?
don't upgrade to windows 8 then

Looks like this is still on going.

1. You can buy it, install Win8 & Media Center key all in a virtual machine just to activate both.
No need to install it on your actual PC yet... you simply make sure you've got both activated and
ready when you need to migrate later on and reinstall on the actual hardware. This makes sure you've
got Media Center later.

2. You can run both in VMware player just fine. Same if you need to program Win8/WP8 apps and install VS2012 + WP8 emulator. All works fine in VMware Player. No need to dual-boot. (See Nokia developer post on the details of installing all this.)

3. You can also create a VHD file in your current partition and dual-boot Win8 off that - no need to go
through complex partitioning.

4. Excellent deal that can still be had after this expries.

How? Sign up for a computer programming class at any community college with Dreamspark Premium and get Win8 as part of the free student offerings. Then drop the class and get your refund (Besides, http://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com/Home.aspx , http://codeacademy.com etc teach free.)

Sign up as a student for IEEE/etc. and get Win8 at a big discount (though higher than $15).
If you don't play games, sign up for Dreamspark as a student and get Windows Server 2012 instead - runs Office, web, etc all the same.
Work at a corporation that has employee offers.
Buy a new computer at a discount through outlet, sales, etc. (eg. If a new Lenovo Z580 is $599 and discounted to $400 in the outlet.Lenovo.com store, it's basically like getting a Win8 discount.)

Microsoft BizSpark program

3/7/2013 - DEAD

https://www.windowsupgradeoffer.com/en-US

Thank you for your interest in the Windows Upgrade Offer. The program has ended. For information about Windows 8, please click here

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.