• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
HP Sleekbook 14"

I just bought this for local pickup at Best Buy. Total with tax in Michigan at 6% was $424.

HP Pavilion Sleekbook 14" black, Model: 14-b015dx

A price search shows this at $530 or more, after a $50 rebate, at most sites.

No CD/DVD drive, otherwise pretty good specs for a basic laptop. 14", 4 pounds, i3, 4GB (looks like 1 chip in 2 slots), Windows 8, 1366 x 768.

I installed Windows 8 on my other laptop, I am quite happy with it. I use the "Desktop" for the most part, there are very few differences with Windows 7 when using the desktop. The tiles interface is more useful for a tablet or touchscreen, but it offers a couple of nice features on a laptop. I like the new mail tile setup, for example, very simple and clean interface.

I did not see this posted here, please remove if it is a duplicate. Thanks!

Michael

EDIT: I have mixed feelings on this - I am not sure how good of a "buy" this is. Techbargains lists the regular price at $499. The HP store has the base price at $589, less $30. I have seen it elsewhere, like Amazon.com, at $530 after a $50 rebate.

BUT Laptoping lists the price as $400, so you might want to look around before you buy.

Member Summary

HP 14-b015dx
Thanks UncleRico
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
    • Manufacturer › HP
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

A few more details:

2 USB 3.0 connectors, 1 USB 2.0, HDMI, 4-cell battery, 1yr warranty

I wanted a small and light laptop because I have arthritis-like hand and arm pain.

The 4 cell battery is a little small, but I use this at home all of the time, so that wasn't an issue for me. There are some Dell and Gateway i7 Ultrabooks available at $700 to $750, but an i3 has been sufficient for me for editing in Photoshop and CS6 Production Premiere (video, Illustrator) with 8 GB of RAM.

Here are the specifications from the HP web site:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&d...

I had a $100 gift card from my credit card company for Best Buy, so that made my decision easy.

I also see that the Katy, TX Best Buy has an "Open Box" sale on this laptop at $347:

http://stores.bestbuy.com/354/open-box/computers-tablets/laptop-...

Best,
Michael

seems like a good deal..

how is the battery life?

I just picked it up today, so I will test it.

The newer CPU's are low voltage. The 4 cell battery is rated at 4 hours 16 minutes, which is a pretty good rating. I will see if it actually makes that.

It looks like the CPU is still pretty capable, even with the low voltage. (I had read on one site to buy the previous generation before the newer 3rd generation, low voltage were common):

"The Sleekbook versions include the ultrabook use Intel ultra-low voltage processors, as well as AMD’s energy efficient chips for thin notebooks. This particular model, the 14-b015dx, comes with the entry Core i3-3217U dual-core at 1.8GHz from the latest 3rd Generation Intel CPUs. The processor has a PassMark score of 2,264 points, which is similar to performance of the 2nd Gen Intel Core i3-2310M standard voltage part with 2,363 points, both offering decent speed for day-to-day operations."

Thanks for posting. I have been looking hard at this one. From what I have found, the 14" Sleekbook at BB (14-b015dx) is sold only by them. It differs from the more widely-available model 14-b010us. No results come up when searching the HP site for the BB model number, so I suspect it's made just for BB.

Visually, the BB model has the touchpad centered, rather than set off to the left.

Spec-wise
BB has the i3-3217U (1.8GHz) vs. i3-2377M (1.5GHz)
BB: Intel® HD Graphics 4000 vs. Intel HD Graphics 3000

I'm no expert on processors but it looks like the just-introduced BB model is better(?) and I believe $399 is the everyday price. Comments?

I'm also strongly considering the similar $429.99 Lenovo 14" IdeaPad at Staples. AMD A6, 1xUSB 3.0/2x2.0, and has Bluetooth are the main differences.

Is this better deal than Dell 14 inch i3 that is going to be on sale for $299 on Black Friday?

exbat said:   Spec-wise
BB has the i3-3217U (1.8GHz) vs. i3-2377M (1.5GHz)
BB: Intel® HD Graphics 4000 vs. Intel HD Graphics 3000
I'm no expert on processors but it looks like the just-introduced BB model is better(?) and I believe $399 is the everyday price. Comments?

I do think that the $399 is the everyday price at Best Buy. From my reading, the Sleekbook 14" was just introduced on October 27, following the release of Windows 8.

as you mentioned, the Best Buy model has two upgrades to the model that is featured on the HP site. Both the processor and the graphics are somewhat upgraded from the HP version. And, of course, the one being sold by Best Buy is $159 **cheaper** than the one on the HP web site!

I'm also strongly considering the similar $429.99 Lenovo 14" IdeaPad at Staples. AMD A6, 1xUSB 3.0/2x2.0, and has Bluetooth are the main differences.

The Lenova looks fairly similar. I am somewhat biased in favor of Intel processors. That may be unwarranted - this is a bit of a PC vs. Mac, Canon vs. Nikon debate that isn't worth getting into here! But the Intel processors do tend to sell for a bit more than the comparable AMD. Most "lowest price" units are featured with AMD processors.

Others are quite happy with AMD - your call on that one! (I would note that only the Intel i7 features hyper threading that can be used by Adobe CS6 for now, AFAIK.)

Good luck!

Best,
Michael

docjoo said:   Is this better deal than Dell 14 inch i3 that is going to be on sale for $299 on Black Friday?

That is a great deal! I wonder how many will be available?

The Dell 14" Inspiron is actually an older model that they are "blowing out." It features an older, 2nd generation "Sandy Bridge" processor, and Windows 7. So add the cost of a Windows 8 upgrade into the price (only about $15 with a recently purchased laptop.)

The advantage of the newer 3rd generation processors is a lower voltage consumption, which results in longer battery life and less heat generation. The HP Sleekbook is part of a new generation on laptops based on the 3rd generation processors.

They are "almost" Ultrabooks - a specific class of light, thin computers designated by that Intel term. The only thing that keeps the Sleekbook from being a true Ultrabook is the lack of an SSD drive, as called for in the UB specification. I have a $50 OCZ 3 Agility 120 GB SSD that I plan to add to the Sleekbook in place of the existing 500GB HDD.

The $299 Dell is not a bad deal, especially if you are able to get it with free shipping. Like Best Buy, Dell is required to charge tax in most states.

Good luck!

best,
Michael

The 14-inch Inspiron 14z (with a 2nd-gen Core i3 chip, 4GB of RAM, and a 500GB hard drive), for example, will sell for a ridiculous $299 — that’s half its usual price. While it ships with Windows 7 Home Premium installed, you’d still be able to upgrade to Windows 8 Professional for just $14.99 thanks to Microsoft’s ongoing promotion

If you want to add Bluetooth for cheap, Meritline has a tiny USB dongle on sale for $.94 with code MLCKR06YNL1.

http://www.meritline.com/mini-type-wireless-bluetooth-usb-adapte...

Is this Window 7 or 8. Most of the IT supports in schools and companies are not up to date yet.

Unadog...How is the battery life? If the laptop is thin and light it is designed for travel....but if it can't do 4 hours on a charge....what is the point.

My wife loves her HP sleekbook that has the AMD processor. Light, fast, and long battery life. almost 6-7 hours. This is a very good deal!

I returned this one and bought the $499 touch pad ASUS in Best buy. The reason is the battery life of this laptop is a little too short (around 3 hours) for me and cannot find a backup battery in Best buy. Even you have a portable power with different adaptors. No one is suitable for this type. I checked HP website and found no one matched this computer. I guess this laptop is specifically designed for Best buy or it is too new.

By the way it has win 8 with a small touch pad (not all screen). Very attracting price!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014