• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Just ordered one 10 minutes back.

thanks OP.

FrugalFreddy said:   OOS. Is there a delay when using this with GV? I use GV with my cell and landlines; there is at least a second delay.There is a little latency with all voip service. You wouldn't notice one second if you couldn't hear both ends of the conversation.



mistycoupon said:   Is this better than magicjack ? Why ?
If googlevoice starts charging is this not that good ?
Thanks.
Depends on your preferences. The older MJ requires a computer to be on all the time. The new MJ Plus ($70) connects to your router. If you have used Google Voice you would likely prefer it because of the available features.



pkp413 said:   I have Ooma too, but I hate the $6 in fees/taxes every month...You could always go back to a POTS line for $20 - $40 a month. It is amazing how we tend to forget how much we used to pay once we have a free option.

Is there a problem with emergency services (police / fire department) not being able to find the location of the house if a 911 call is made from a Obihai OR Ooma phone?

Please provide information.

Thanks again in advance.

has been using it for years to get free phone calls across the pacific ocean with parents and in laws. in for another two to give other relatives. green for op.

Good device but went with nettalk duo. wanted a good cheap option for international calling which it has. $120 for 1 year over the $30 per year of local unlimited calling.
This being a secondary line it works for me and if it has to used for primary line it will mostly be used for international calling.(currently about 2000 min of int calling monthly on my other primary line from optimum)

hi all, i'm a newbie to VOIP products. I own a retail store with 2 phone lines (one for calls, the other a fax). can I use this for my business and keep my same numbers?

KDS95AB said:   Is there a problem with emergency services (police / fire department) not being able to find the location of the house if a 911 call is made from a Obihai OR Ooma phone?

Please provide information.

Thanks again in advance.


There is this web site called Google that provides a wealth of information when you go to it and type in OBI 911 or OOMA 911.

ach1199 said:   KDS95AB said:   I am planning to change my landline to either obihai or ooma. Can I keep my home number with Ooma or obiahi.

Please respond.

Thanks in advnace.


3+ years of ooma user here and zero complaints. Best $200 I invested back in 2009, it is already paid off many times over. They can port your existing number (their website would tell you if they can port your number or not) although there is an extra charge for it. For me, one of the best features I like is the support for e911, that gives me a peace of mind that if my kids ever need to call 911, the 911 people would know automatically that the call came from my house. Not sure if obihai offers that or not. Excellent call quality and very reliable service.



I have Ooma for over 2 years. Yes, they are reliable and the sound quality is good but they will not forward the calls to your cell unless you buy their premium service which is $99.00 per year.
How do you buy international call time if you use Obiahi?

Thanks OP. Got one.

krislai said:   hi all, i'm a newbie to VOIP products. I own a retail store with 2 phone lines (one for calls, the other a fax). can I use this for my business and keep my same numbers?

Depends. VoIP needs good reliable internet connection. Depends on call volume. most VoIP services have it in terms "not for commercial use". commercial services are available but may be as expensive as the telco lines.
Fax may not work with many VoIP service, but is becoming an antiquated service anyway.
Cost. is it cheaper to have two lines or is it cheaper to have internet and have VoIP.
Many offer number porting but may need to check with provider.

bhavin66 said:   Good device but went with nettalk duo. wanted a good cheap option for international calling which it has. $120 for 1 year over the $30 per year of local unlimited calling.
This being a secondary line it works for me and if it has to used for primary line it will mostly be used for international calling.(currently about 2000 min of int calling monthly on my other primary line from optimum)




RE:
Good device but went with nettalk duo

Good choice
From day one nettalk worked great
I also have the totaly free omma
and
Phone Power
voip (2 lines out, one number in)
They have the simultaneous ring the others do not.


Actually all work excellent.

bhavin66 said:   krislai said:   hi all, i'm a newbie to VOIP products. I own a retail store with 2 phone lines (one for calls, the other a fax). can I use this for my business and keep my same numbers?

Depends. VoIP needs good reliable internet connection. Depends on call volume. most VoIP services have it in terms "not for commercial use". commercial services are available but may be as expensive as the telco lines.
Fax may not work with many VoIP service, but is becoming an antiquated service anyway.
Cost. is it cheaper to have two lines or is it cheaper to have internet and have VoIP.
Many offer number porting but may need to check with provider.


thanks for the advice!

Google Voice for your old school phone (Landphone) with no apps(using standared SIP/VOIP) and it's free.

Posted Image

Here is the very useful trick that saves both your money and time. Even your granny can make or receive calls using an old school phone along with VOIP/SIP supported device. Also, you can configure this in any software that supports basic standard SIP/VOIP.
Here is the step by step set-up information

TechZen said:   DrElectron said:   Anyone know what Google Voice cost will be in 2013? GV is free through this year.
GV has been free through the end of the year for many years and they seem to wait until mid Dec each year to announce that the next year will be free as well. I have not heard anything yet this year but suspect and hope we will see another few years of it being free. I also suspect that if they do start to charge, the rates will be less than Vonage, MJ, Skype and other services. Also the great thing about this box is that even if you don't want to use it with GV you can use it with other SIP services.

What is SIP? A provider for VoIP devices like this one?
I currently use a FIOS landline and only really make domestic calls. It's a waste of money but I do like having a landline and not relying solely on my cell. I need to keep my landline number and I also have a GV number for years now.

What's my cheapest option given my setup and that I want to keep my current landline phone number. Thanks.

KDS95AB said:   Is there a problem with emergency services (police / fire department) not being able to find the location of the house if a 911 call is made from a Obihai OR Ooma phone?

Please provide information.

Thanks again in advance.


Re: Here's my earlier post regarding Ooma's e911 service:

"For me, one of the best features I like is the support for e911, that gives me a peace of mind that if my kids ever need to call 911, the 911 people would know automatically that the call came from my house."

If you use one of these with Google Voice, incoming calls only show the number, no name, correct?

chefchu said:   If you use one of these with Google Voice, incoming calls only show the number, no name, correct?

Correct

JimboCat said: How do you buy international call time if you use Obiahi?
You just add money to your GV account using Google Wallet. Works just like prepaid service. When your balance falls below $2 you have the option to be notified by email, or automatically charged another $10 or whatever amount you preffer.

SupTech said:   chefchu said:   If you use one of these with Google Voice, incoming calls only show the number, no name, correct?

Correct
Callcentric offers a free number with free incoming calls. You can get E911 service on that line for $1.50 a month.

Set up google voice on one line and Callcentric on the other. Set the callcentric number as a forwarding phone in google voice. this give you free incoming calls on the callcentric line when someone calls your google voice number. You also get free caller id with name on the callcentric line, and E911 for $1.50 a month. Outgoing calls will use google voice.

End result
free outgoing with your google voice number
free incoming with caller id w/name
E911 available for $1.50 a month
All incoming calls are made to your google voice number

danialjose said:   Google Voice for your old school phone (Landphone) with no apps(using standared SIP/VOIP) and it's free.

Posted Image

Here is the very useful trick that saves both your money and time. Even your granny can make or receive calls using an old school phone along with VOIP/SIP supported device. Also, you can configure this in any software that supports basic standard SIP/VOIP.
Here is the step by step set-up information


I wish I had heard of this earlier but looks like Simon Telephonics is not currently taking new GV customers: "New registration for the Google Voice Gateway is temporarily disabled. If you have registered already, you can use the form below to get your SIP registration credentials or delete your gateway registration."

TechZen said:   http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833617001

Regularly $40. I have the Obi110 and have used it now for a year with Google voice. It took me 5 minutes to get it working by following this video...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWAPZJFpXMo


I notice the link is for the OBI100, while you have experience with the OBI110. Any comments on the limitations of the 100 unit? The comparison chart says that only the 110 allows you to use your landline as a VOIP gateway. Is that a feature that we will miss?

danialjose said:   Google Voice for your old school phone (Landphone) with no apps(using standared SIP/VOIP) and it's free.

Posted Image

Here is the very useful trick that saves both your money and time. Even your granny can make or receive calls using an old school phone along with VOIP/SIP supported device. Also, you can configure this in any software that supports basic standard SIP/VOIP.
Here is the step by step set-up information


How is that free? What is the magic box that bridges ethernet to phone wire?

And I need to provide a 3rd party website my Google (Voice) password? Not a chance!

it's back on with the same promo code. I just ordered my.

Ordered on Wed. received on Fri. Hooked up phone to Obi100, created an acct. with Obi and configured to Google Voice. Now talking for free. What could be more simple? And cheap? Hope free GV last through 2013! (Originally tried the Nettalk device, but could not get it to work with either my ISP or router. After an hour on my cell phone with Nettalk, they came to the conclusion that their device was not for me. refunded my money, no problem. Was afraid that the OBI100 would behave the same way. But its working like a champ.)

Sold out.

Thanks OP. Ordered on wed and receive earlier today and all setup.
I do have a question on this though. Is this like Ooma, once it is activated the number sticks to it forever. If I were to give this away, that person will need to pay $75 to activate it for their number? My guess is not as you can delete the google voice setup within Obi. Just wanted to be sure.

TIA

you can use any google voice number on this device. So I think it's different to ooma.

HKSturboKid said:   Thanks OP. Ordered on wed and receive earlier today and all setup.
I do have a question on this though. Is this like Ooma, once it is activated the number sticks to it forever. If I were to give this away, that person will need to pay $75 to activate it for their number? My guess is not as you can delete the google voice setup within Obi. Just wanted to be sure.

TIA

Back in stock at 1841 EST. Last day to get it at this steal of a price.

bighitter said:   Thanks! I checked out with Newegg without any problems a minute ago.
Thanks to you bighitter my wallet just got thinner by about 32 bucks, lol. Yep, there's more in stock. Even though I still got about 6 months left with PhonePower
, I'm getting one just to play around with it just to see if this really works.

therugsucker said:   bighitter said:   Thanks! I checked out with Newegg without any problems a minute ago.
Thanks to you bighitter my wallet just got thinner by about 32 bucks, lol. Yep, there's more in stock. Even though I still got about 6 months left with PhonePower
, I'm getting one just to play around with it just to see if this really works.



I hope you get it to work, I still have a 110 sitting behind me on the shelf, for about 2 years now.

yesidonoitall said:   therugsucker said:   bighitter said:   Thanks! I checked out with Newegg without any problems a minute ago.
Thanks to you bighitter my wallet just got thinner by about 32 bucks, lol. Yep, there's more in stock. Even though I still got about 6 months left with PhonePower
, I'm getting one just to play around with it just to see if this really works.



I hope you get it to work, I still have a 110 sitting behind me on the shelf, for about 2 years now.

Are you saying you never got it to work? Where did you run into problems?

therugsucker said:   yesidonoitall said:   therugsucker said:   bighitter said:   Thanks! I checked out with Newegg without any problems a minute ago.
Thanks to you bighitter my wallet just got thinner by about 32 bucks, lol. Yep, there's more in stock. Even though I still got about 6 months left with PhonePower
, I'm getting one just to play around with it just to see if this really works.



I hope you get it to work, I still have a 110 sitting behind me on the shelf, for about 2 years now.

Are you saying you never got it to work? Where did you run into problems?


It seemed to complicated, I got as far as reading the instructions though a couple of people here tried to help with links on it.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014