• Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Turns your boring car into a V8 powerhouse
Detects the RPMs and plays appropriate sound effects
Works on most makes and models

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/ef0e/

ThinkGeek
Need a ThinkGeek coupon that earns 4.0% FatWallet Cash Back?
Member Summary

Racing Engine Simulator
Thanks Wemic
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

This gadget is actually selling for ~$40 on e.Bay.

The kid in me could not resist it. Not for ten bucks plus shipping. I ordered two and the shipping charge was not quite $6. The merchant also seems to have a decent return policy (minus shipping).

Don't forget the FatWallet Cash Back.

According to one Amazon reviewer:

Fun toy with one major annoyance

For best results, it needs a decent sound system. The biggest annoyance is the automatic system to determine how many cylinders your car engine has. It would be much better if there was a switch to set for the number of cylinders.

Each time the SoundRacer is powered up, a sequence must be followed. Start the engine, wait for the beep, rev the engine to 3,000 rpm until acknowledgment beeps are heard - only a second or two.

That's pretty simple, but you have to do it every time you start the car with the SoundRacer in place. If you don't, the unit will interpret your idle speed as 3,000 rpm with the result that when your engine actually reaches 3,000 rpm, it will sound like it's idling.

When it works right it's kind of fun, but I have had the sound hang at around 4,000 rpm as I was coming to a stop. That may not be typical as it didn't do that in a different car I tried it in.

I received this gadget (two of them) yesterday and tried one on two different cars. One out of two isn't bad...I guess. It was no go on a 2012 Subaru Impreza (my winter car) with a CVT. it would not recognize idle unless the alternator output was boosted by turning on the headlights, the heated seats, etc. Even then it failed to accurately identify RPMs and sounded terrible 95% of the time. However, it did function properly on a 2013 VW GLI with the automatic manual....it sounded great 99% of the time. It really is a lot of fun with the VW, even though it would occasionally think the RPMs were 4000 when they were actually around 1000.

I don't think this will work on any CVT equipped vehicle, even if "shifted" manually. On the other hand, I'm guessing the device will be OK with manual transmission equipped vehicles--in which case it's worth ten bucks.

Just checked and I guess it's out of stock.

OOS

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014