WalMart BF Starts Thanksgiving Day 8PM

Archived From: Expired Deals
  • Go to page :
  • 123 4
  • Text Only
ebbikenezer said:   opathal said:   ebbikenezer said:   opathal said:   I will definitely be boycotting this. Having employees work ON THANKSGIVING is disgusting. Wal-Mart's greed has no end.

Lol, yeah, Wal-Mart is obviously the only bastion of greed in the world that asks their employees to work on a holiday.

Also: Not everyone cares about whether or not they work on a holiday, and even more people don't celebrate the same holidays as Christians/Americans....

Why are you supporting use of the internet, it's open 24/7, and someone has to be ready if a system/server goes down, am I right? Do you boycott healthcare as well? No holidays there. How about gas stations? Most of those are open on holidays. Movie theaters? Wow, must be a boring life what with all that... boycotting and not much else happening.

I certainly don't condone Wal-Mart tactics, but them trying to get a piece of the pie and do the same as every other retailer is worse... how, exactly?

Comparing life saving/providing assistance being paid considerably more money is quite different that saving $100 on a TV. Its safe to say medical professionals have a choice. This is the exact reason I turned down my pharmacy school interviews.....no amount of money is worth missing time with my family.

Americans/Christians......I thought we were talking about America, I didn't realize you were shopping abroad this season. Unless you provide evidence otherwise, I would venture to say a majority of USA Wal-Mart workers celebrate Thanksgiving.

You state not everyone cares, you must mean that the employees were given the option....because if not, this again is a worthless point.

You don't condone.....but you'll support it? Isn't that the definition of condoning? I'll be spending quality time with my family, I don't need to save a few hours work at the expense of memories with my loved ones during a special time of year. If you consider that boring.....I definitely agree I'm pretty boring.

The employees do have an option, just like the majority of the American work force.

Oh, by the way: The American population is not all Christian, but... I can see why you'd think that based on your answers.

There are other jobs of the caliber Wal-Mart employees have.. available, that don't require holidays being worked. And that's fine you turned down ANYTHING for family, that's a choice you made and it points to EXACTLY what I am saying: No one is forced to work at Wal-Mart on Thanksgiving, but I guess you assume it's Wal-Mart's fault for employing people, and then turning around and asking them to work the days they are open. Silly Wal-Mart, they should know better!!!!

Edit: Memories with loved ones: I go out every year for BF, with my siblings, cousins, nieces, nephew and father... because it's what my father has been doing with all of us since we were 5, maybe 6 years old. These are my family memories, I cherish them and we have a blast every year. People working on Thanksgiving I have no guilt towards at ALL, I don't see them shouting out about the inequalities and injustices when a server crashes and I get called in at 2 AM to do a 20 hour work shift on Christmas day, all day away from family, because people want to be able to do their online banking on Christmas day for some reason. I suck it up, and I work. It's the job I accepted.

Thanksgiving is NOT A CHRISTIAN HOLIDAY. Its an AMERICAN holiday.... ASKING THEM to work....oh really? You mean springing a forced work day on them last moment?

Your notion of this situation makes my brain hurt. You ignore my FACTS and try to make it seem like these people have obviously and simple choices. If you feel good about giving your money to WalMart supporting taking moms and dads away from their families.......thats something you'll have to live with when you look at your family that day. Just hope that some day you won't be in the same "fortunate" position.

opathal said:   workers in 1,000 stores in Dallas, Minnesota, Chicago, Miami, Louisiana, Milwaukee, Oklahoma, Los Angeles, and Washington, D.C. are planning on walking out this week. Employees say that the extended Thanksgiving hours were announced with little warning and employees weren't allowed to opt out of working during the holiday-tromping shift.

Were you sober when you came up with those numbers? Get them from your Ouija Board? Where did they come from?

Mickie3 said:   opathal said:   workers in 1,000 stores in Dallas, Minnesota, Chicago, Miami, Louisiana, Milwaukee, Oklahoma, Los Angeles, and Washington, D.C. are planning on walking out this week. Employees say that the extended Thanksgiving hours were announced with little warning and employees weren't allowed to opt out of working during the holiday-tromping shift.

Were you sober when you came up with those numbers? Get them from your Ouija Board? Where did they come from?

ABC NEWS

I just love to come upon striking workers...

opathal said:   Mickie3 said:   opathal said:   workers in 1,000 stores in Dallas, Minnesota, Chicago, Miami, Louisiana, Milwaukee, Oklahoma, Los Angeles, and Washington, D.C. are planning on walking out this week. Employees say that the extended Thanksgiving hours were announced with little warning and employees weren't allowed to opt out of working during the holiday-tromping shift.

ABC NEWS

That article is funny. No sources, etc. They were the ones who started the rumor, so at least they keep inventing the news, in true Disney style.

ABC News Slogan:
ABC News, a leader in the news field since,,,,,,,, errrr,,,,, well....... Never.

opathal said:   

Thanksgiving is NOT A CHRISTIAN HOLIDAY. Its an AMERICAN holiday.... ASKING THEM to work....oh really? You mean springing a forced work day on them last moment?

I highly doubt this was a last minute thing on WM's part. Given their track record, anyone working there should have been well aware they would have to work Thanksgiving. They are not being forced to work that day, they have simply been scheduled to work. They are free to find other work if it matters that much to them.

opathal said:   
Your notion of this situation makes my brain hurt. You ignore my FACTS and try to make it seem like these people have obviously and simple choices. If you feel good about giving your money to WalMart supporting taking moms and dads away from their families.......thats something you'll have to live with when you look at your family that day. Just hope that some day you won't be in the same "fortunate" position.

No, their choices may not be simple but they are obvious. Work/don't work. Find another job or continue to work at WM, with the understanding that they will have to work Thanksgiving (and probably Christmas eventually) every year they do so. WM isn't taking anyone away from their families, they are having them work a shift at their job. Just like all the public safety personnel and military who will be putting their lives on the line while folks shop. I'm guessing if ebbikenezer is ever in the same "fortunate" position, they will recognize that sometimes having a job is an inconvenience to family. Very few companies give a toss about work/life balance anymore.

opathal said:   ebbikenezer said:   opathal said:   ebbikenezer said:   opathal said:   I will definitely be boycotting this. Having employees work ON THANKSGIVING is disgusting. Wal-Mart's greed has no end.

Lol, yeah, Wal-Mart is obviously the only bastion of greed in the world that asks their employees to work on a holiday.

Also: Not everyone cares about whether or not they work on a holiday, and even more people don't celebrate the same holidays as Christians/Americans....

Why are you supporting use of the internet, it's open 24/7, and someone has to be ready if a system/server goes down, am I right? Do you boycott healthcare as well? No holidays there. How about gas stations? Most of those are open on holidays. Movie theaters? Wow, must be a boring life what with all that... boycotting and not much else happening.

I certainly don't condone Wal-Mart tactics, but them trying to get a piece of the pie and do the same as every other retailer is worse... how, exactly?

Comparing life saving/providing assistance being paid considerably more money is quite different that saving $100 on a TV. Its safe to say medical professionals have a choice. This is the exact reason I turned down my pharmacy school interviews.....no amount of money is worth missing time with my family.

Americans/Christians......I thought we were talking about America, I didn't realize you were shopping abroad this season. Unless you provide evidence otherwise, I would venture to say a majority of USA Wal-Mart workers celebrate Thanksgiving.

You state not everyone cares, you must mean that the employees were given the option....because if not, this again is a worthless point.

You don't condone.....but you'll support it? Isn't that the definition of condoning? I'll be spending quality time with my family, I don't need to save a few hours work at the expense of memories with my loved ones during a special time of year. If you consider that boring.....I definitely agree I'm pretty boring.

The employees do have an option, just like the majority of the American work force.

Oh, by the way: The American population is not all Christian, but... I can see why you'd think that based on your answers.

There are other jobs of the caliber Wal-Mart employees have.. available, that don't require holidays being worked. And that's fine you turned down ANYTHING for family, that's a choice you made and it points to EXACTLY what I am saying: No one is forced to work at Wal-Mart on Thanksgiving, but I guess you assume it's Wal-Mart's fault for employing people, and then turning around and asking them to work the days they are open. Silly Wal-Mart, they should know better!!!!

Edit: Memories with loved ones: I go out every year for BF, with my siblings, cousins, nieces, nephew and father... because it's what my father has been doing with all of us since we were 5, maybe 6 years old. These are my family memories, I cherish them and we have a blast every year. People working on Thanksgiving I have no guilt towards at ALL, I don't see them shouting out about the inequalities and injustices when a server crashes and I get called in at 2 AM to do a 20 hour work shift on Christmas day, all day away from family, because people want to be able to do their online banking on Christmas day for some reason. I suck it up, and I work. It's the job I accepted.

Please see my posts. I am VERY often, in the same, EXACT, "fortunate" position. And I don't expect nincompoops to post all over the internet about it, singing my praises and alerting the world to my employers' greed.

It's CONSUMERS, PATIENTS and CLIENTS that make employers offer strange/weird hours of operation, because they will simply go elsewhere with their business if you can't (not only match but) one up the competition.

I get "taken away from my family" all sorts of dates and hours, because impetuous little shits who shout the injustices of Wal-Mart's greed also usually can't follow step-by-step instructions on webpages while they are trying to find out where they wrote down their oldest child's initials and birthdate, oops, I mean password.

You have no idea what "my notion" of the situation is, YES they have a choice, walk out... many will choose to do so this week. Let's see how great that family time they fought for is when they can't put any food on the table.

Priorities: You have them or you don't. I suffer through the indignity of having to go into work at any given moment because of the human condition: stupidity. I certainly won't walk away from that work so I can prove to everyone how unfair my job can be, especially not at the cost of my family's comfort.

To support the level of intelligence I refer to, I had been referring to the diversity of religion in "American culture", showing that YES, there are AMERICANS who DO NOT celebrate Thanksgiving, whether or not they are actually Christians has no bearing.... But you insist on pointing out Thanksgiving being an American holiday. Well, no shit? Wal-Mart is an international retailer. So, because you work in America, you shouldn't have to work on the holidays you choose to celebrate if they are American? If I go work at Wal-Mart in Beijing, should I stage a walk out if they ask us to work Chinese New Year? The term "Most people don't celebrate the same holidays as Christians/Americans" was referring to Christian AND/OR American holidays and celebrations.

By your logic, they should also be upset if asked to work on the 4th of July.

Martin Luther King day.
Election Day
Memorial Day
Labor Day

Keep going? These are all American holidays, and a LOT of the American work force are actually working them. As far as ignoring your "facts", they DO have obvious and simple choices. I usually tie no emotional commitment to making a purchase at Wal-Mart so, "feeling good" about handing them my money will work just fine because, I hand them money, I leave with product, Joy/Splendor I am happy. Now, this year I actually WILL be particularly pleased when I make purchases there because I will remember your witty little banter, and I also know YOU will be sitting at home with your family, stuffing your face, making memories... instead of rallying the Wal-Mart employees to the cause, helping them on their walk out and supporting them as best you can given the inhumane treatment you seem to think they are receiving. And that little fact will not only make me smile, but on Thursday, when you're doing just that: You'll be driving home my point more than any bit of debate or semantics is going to do here - Talk the talk...

While you guys discuss the holiday working rights, blah, blah - back to the deals.

Anyone have inside info on how early the lines for 10pm will officially be starting at the BM stores? The info about last year was very helpful but I'm assuming some of the 10pm items may have campers who don't care about the 8pm items and would look for designated areas?

geezlouise said:   WalMart did this last year and it worked very well to control the crowd surges and mitigate the potential for any stampeding incidences, as has happened in the past.

My local WalMart was actually open on Thanksgiving Day so no need to stand in line or in the cold to enter the store at midnight or 5 AM.
Once inside, it was easily marked with balloons and signs where certain BF deals were located.
The top items were spread out throughout the store (not necessarily in their regular department area) to further control the crowds.
You could shop for general items or pick up a voucher for a specific BF deal and wait in that designated line until the time came for the deal to start.
After all the deals were activated (sometime after midnight), the checkout lines did start to get long but otherwise it was a controlled and easy BF shopping experience.
I was extremely impressed with how this staggered approach worked and commend WalMart for employing this strategy.
I will certainly shop there again this year.

FWIW - I did not find it confusing at all. There were also Greeters at the entrance to the store handing out a flyer that had a map of where all the big deals were located. Kudos again to WalMart..

This has been my experience too. We all see the stampedes at WalMart that get on the news, but for the 24 hour ones that are open on Thanksgiving (all the ones around me) it is a relatively civil and controlled experience. Get out of the cold, the stores are packed, but WalMart has everyone (and then extra event staff) on hand. Last year I bought the Xbox 360 from them and they must have had a tractor trailer full of them; you went to one spot to get a ticket for them, and then got on another line to actually pick them up. That line took about 30 minutes but other than that they had plenty for anyone who arrived within 15 minutes of opening. Checking out was another story -- it wasn't TOO bad, but the lady in front of me was trying to PRICEMATCH a deal and would not take no for an answer... when they finally kicked her the heck out of the store it was quick.

This store opening on Thanksgiving by the whiners is as bad as those who sign up for Armed Forces reserve,
and are there to take all the pay and benefits then when they actually have to go to war are crying the blues.

Not worth crossing a picket line for that's for sure.

Izzletodasmizzle said:   Not worth crossing a picket line for that's for sure.

Oh I love to cross them and they better move, I pretend I am blind and just push the cart, where it goes it goes, what it hits it hits.

RE: Pickets
Look what happened to those at Hostess, they blocked the way and got let go.
Over 18,000 of them

Discussing the ethics of a merchant is an important part of our conversations. Some people take such things seriously when deciding where to shop. At this point, though, I think we've spent enough time on WalMart's holiday policy, and it has taken us far away from looking at potential deals. It's time to refocus now. Please refain from discussing employer-employee issues and instead discuss the material in the OP. Thanks.

Edit: fixed typo.

I'm trying to find out if the Orion 24" TV will be online at 10 tonight...any ideas?

it says OOS online ATM and the price didn't change

lordoffire said:   I'm trying to find out if the Orion 24" TV will be online at 10 tonight...any ideas?

If it is a 10 pm tonight stand in line item, I don't see why it would be online at the same price.
I don't think any add item is the same price online at the same time, they want you in the store...

yesidonoitall said:   lordoffire said:   I'm trying to find out if the Orion 24" TV will be online at 10 tonight...any ideas?

If it is a 10 pm tonight stand in line item, I don't see why it would be online at the same price.
I don't think any add item is the same price online at the same time, they want you in the store...

I didn't see the words "in store only" anywhere in the ad...yet

lordoffire said:   yesidonoitall said:   lordoffire said:   I'm trying to find out if the Orion 24" TV will be online at 10 tonight...any ideas?

I didn't see the words "in store only" anywhere in the ad...yet

Why would it have to say
in store only
It is a store ad

lordoffire said:   I'm trying to find out if the Orion 24" TV will be online at 10 tonight...any ideas?

I see no Orion 24" at wm dot com at this time.

Does anyone know if the Ematic 7" Tablet is online or in store? When I add it to my shopping list it shows available at 12am

yesidonoitall said:   I just love to come upon striking workers...
Get out the union rat!

badlilfairy said:   Does anyone know if the Ematic 7" Tablet is online or in store? When I add it to my shopping list it shows available at 12am

I see no ematic 7 in the 3 store ads.
Where are you seeing it?

badlilfairy said:   Does anyone know if the Ematic 7" Tablet is online or in store? When I add it to my shopping list it shows available at 12am

FedEx delivered this eMatic 10 to me yesterday $89.98
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ematic-EGLXL102B-10-Touchscreen-Androi...

was wondering how you had 21,000 posts in 7 years, AVG of 8 per day every day for the past 7.5 years, read this thread and figured it out

is this post for discussing BF deals in stages or talking about picket lines, unions, etc? I just went through 3 pages of nonsense.

Got to WalMart 3 hours before 10 pm deal. They were giving out numbers. They had 25 of the Vizio TV but I was number 34 so I left. I like them giving out numbers and knowing ahead of time that I am not getting an item.

Nancy1 said:   Got to WalMart 3 hours before 10 pm deal. They were giving out numbers. They had 25 of the Vizio TV but I was number 34 so I left. I like them giving out numbers and knowing ahead of time that I am not getting an item.

RE:
They had 25 of the Vizio TV but I was number 34 so I left. I like them giving out numbers and knowing ahead of time that I am not getting an item.

Reports of previous years, not all actually pay for the items thus giving others a chance,
WM will not give them all night to buy.

I went at 5pm, they gave out numbers at 745pm, 39 Vizio 60" were in stock, I went back at 950 and got in checkout line, by 1005 I was walking out to the truck, drove around and hauled it home. I was happy #5. Thanks Wallymart.

Watching my 24" Orion right now

Overall for the price I am pleased. Decent speakers and HD picture. The SD is a little below average. A little disappointed with the loss of color when viewing from side angle. TV is thin and light. Also does well with antenna reception.

The manual says it is made by Sansui.

ebbikenezer said:   
Please see my posts. I am VERY often, in the same, EXACT, "fortunate" position. And I don't expect nincompoops to post all over the internet about it, singing my praises and alerting the world to my employers' greed.

It's CONSUMERS, PATIENTS and CLIENTS that make employers offer strange/weird hours of operation, because they will simply go elsewhere with their business if you can't (not only match but) one up the competition.

I get "taken away from my family" all sorts of dates and hours, because impetuous little shits who shout the injustices of Wal-Mart's greed also usually can't follow step-by-step instructions on webpages while they are trying to find out where they wrote down their oldest child's initials and birthdate, oops, I mean password.

You have no idea what "my notion" of the situation is, YES they have a choice, walk out... many will choose to do so this week. Let's see how great that family time they fought for is when they can't put any food on the table.

Priorities: You have them or you don't. I suffer through the indignity of having to go into work at any given moment because of the human condition: stupidity. I certainly won't walk away from that work so I can prove to everyone how unfair my job can be, especially not at the cost of my family's comfort.

To support the level of intelligence I refer to, I had been referring to the diversity of religion in "American culture", showing that YES, there are AMERICANS who DO NOT celebrate Thanksgiving, whether or not they are actually Christians has no bearing.... But you insist on pointing out Thanksgiving being an American holiday. Well, no shit? Wal-Mart is an international retailer. So, because you work in America, you shouldn't have to work on the holidays you choose to celebrate if they are American? If I go work at Wal-Mart in Beijing, should I stage a walk out if they ask us to work Chinese New Year? The term "Most people don't celebrate the same holidays as Christians/Americans" was referring to Christian AND/OR American holidays and celebrations.

By your logic, they should also be upset if asked to work on the 4th of July.

Martin Luther King day.
Election Day
Memorial Day
Labor Day

Keep going? These are all American holidays, and a LOT of the American work force are actually working them. As far as ignoring your "facts", they DO have obvious and simple choices. I usually tie no emotional commitment to making a purchase at Wal-Mart so, "feeling good" about handing them my money will work just fine because, I hand them money, I leave with product, Joy/Splendor I am happy. Now, this year I actually WILL be particularly pleased when I make purchases there because I will remember your witty little banter, and I also know YOU will be sitting at home with your family, stuffing your face, making memories... instead of rallying the Wal-Mart employees to the cause, helping them on their walk out and supporting them as best you can given the inhumane treatment you seem to think they are receiving. And that little fact will not only make me smile, but on Thursday, when you're doing just that: You'll be driving home my point more than any bit of debate or semantics is going to do here - Talk the talk...

TL;DR: "I am a prick"

moral of the story, don't pass up good deals expecting to find better deals on BF. A month ago I got the Quantum 1080p 32" for $169 shipped. Nothing in this ad can touch it, fantastic HDTV and PC monitor. I didn't even need it but find myself using it a lot for xbox gaming with TV broadcast on the bigger set.

GeorgeT said:   CharredPC said:   GeorgeT said:   
You are not nuts. This is an event like tailgating in a parking lot with a bunch of friends before a football game. I plan to take my chances on the Sears deal. The add say "Major Manufacture" so it may not be a Toshiba in every store. Have fun and good luck!

I think Sears has two $299 50" deals; the one I'm looking at specifies Toshiba (model L2200). I believe the other one is an open ended "major manufacturer", without even denoting 720 or 1080. If I may ask, when are you planning to start the waiting game outside your local Sears? I'm thinking that a daytime wait at Sears will be more pleasant than an overnight stay at WalMart, so hoping to get this one...

I was planing to get to Sears before 8pm on Thanksgiving day, but with these recent post about make people work on Thanksgiving, my guilt meter is starting to go off.

I just bought a house full of furniture from a neighbor who was moving. I may spend the weekend getting that stuff setup and pass on the tv this year.

I ended up camping out at K-mart, getting a 5am 7" X-treme Mach Speed Android tablet for $39, and an 8pm Proscan 50" for $288. Very pleased with my purchases. Got the tablet rooted, Google Play installed, using it daily; the tv is perfect for my needs and space. I could nitpick both, I'm sure and others will... but for the pricepoint, I won't do so (unless asked for reviews)

has anyone who purchased the 32" Emerson LCD TV on BF @ WalMart opened and used it? If so, I'd love to hear your take on the quality of the TV and speaker sound.

what's the current price of mini ipad 2?

dup

do you like the ProScan 50"?

Honeybobo said:   what's the current price of mini ipad 2?

It's not in stores yet, but for the right price, I might be willing to get into my time machine and get you one.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014