WalMart BF Starts Thanksgiving Day 8PM

Archived From: Expired Deals
  • Go to page :
  • 12 3 4
  • Text Only
yamhillchezhead said:   I've never braved WallyWorld for Black Friday but noticed the price on the Garmin Nuvi 50 seems very good. However, the ad says "in store only" and none of the Walmarts within 50 miles of my home carry this product in store. So, that brings up two questions:

Will WalMart send their BF advertised specials to my local store (even in some ridiculously limited quantity) so I don't have to drive all night to save $40?

And, as much as could be answered without hijacking this thread, is the Nuvi 50 in the ad a decent first GPS compared to printing sheafs of Google Maps for travel?

Thanks for your help!

RE:
" and none of the Walmarts within 50 miles of my home carry this product in store.

As is with almost all great priced items for BF, diff models numbers even if really the same item.
They will surely bring in the nuvi's.

How can we find out the Bluray player model #? I wonder if it's the same one they had last year.
Also wonder if it would be better to buy the $39 refurb right now instead.

FINDMEDEALS2003 said:   i sorry but i think any opening on thanksgiving is wrong they can at least leave one day for families to be together ..of course people on here will disagree but i think thanksgiving and christmas you can stay home and be with family

Especially when you take into account that the vast majority of 'doorbusters' are either: 1. Off-brands with zero reliability record, 2. Major brands, but older models, 3. Major brands, but sketchy/low-end models that usually don't have any of the really good features you're looking for, and/or 4. Deals (or close to it) that you can actually get during the rest of the year if you shop hard enough.

Slickone said:   How can we find out the Bluray player model #? I wonder if it's the same one they had last year.
Also wonder if it would be better to buy the $39 refurb right now instead.

You will have to wait until in store to look at.
It is possible the actual printed add may have model numbers....

There is no requirement they publish such, that cuts down on PM possibilities at another retailer.
Even the add model can be the same as one they stock but a diff number.

"i sorry but i think any opening on thanksgiving is wrong they can at least leave one day for families to be together ..of course people on here will disagree but i think thanksgiving and christmas you can stay home and be with family"

People in the health care field never get this argument. You can make it work and have family time when you are off. Business is business.

RE:
"i sorry but i think any opening on thanksgiving is wrong they can at least leave one day for families to be together ..of course people on here will disagree but i think thanksgiving and christmas you can stay home and be with family"

Nonsense.
If you want to fine, if not, don't.

I think more agree with you here than you might think. I like getting great deals but this kind of sale time (on Thanksgiving in-store) makes me angry.

Oh the Traditionalists

nmsmith said:   "i sorry but i think any opening on thanksgiving is wrong they can at least leave one day for families to be together ..of course people on here will disagree but i think thanksgiving and christmas you can stay home and be with family"

People in the health care field never get this argument. You can make it work and have family time when you are off. Business is business.

Or soldiers

Police

Fireman

Welcome to real life....appreciate family everyday and you don't have to worry about " special occasions"

Love ya, mom and dad!!!!!

Does anyone know anything about the telescope that they have this year? My son is really into space and is wanting one to look at things a little closer. I know nothing about telescopes.

jennsvs said:   Does anyone know anything about the telescope that they have this year? My son is really into space and is wanting one to look at things a little closer. I know nothing about telescopes.

get him a can of silver spray paint...........that will get him into space

Nice CB from Discover! Green for you!

RE:
Or soldiers
Police
Fireman

If the complaint is they have to work Holidays, surely they can go work somewhere else.

After heavy internal debate, I'm going to try for the 'Event 3' (5am) 50" 1080p Emerson tv for $298. Coming from an ancient 200 lb. mid 90's 40" CRT, I'm thinking it'll do fine. Yes, it's 60hz and LCD... but considering that I'm not into sports (seems to be the biggest motion blur complaint), that this room is always dark (LED appears to produce 'whiter whites'), and the Relic that I'm upgrading from- how can you beat $298? I've never seen a price that low (roughly $326 after taxes) for that size of 1080p tv.

Luckily due to work schedules, my family is having their event on Tuesday. With several Walmarts in my area, my plan is to pick a slightly more rural one, go there at 8pm Thursday, and park my butt until 5am Friday. I've wasted nine hours doing dumber things, and it's an investment, right? I notice that this one is a 'Special Buy' with no guarantee of quantity; hopefully upon arrival a friendly employee will know if they have them stocked, so I can switch locations if needed.

Last year the local Walmarts were fairly well organized- some of the high profile laptop and tv pallets were put in the less-traveled aisles, such as home and garden or plumbing / electrical. An employee was assigned to each one to ensure some sort of order and fairness. Things got a little crazy with the smaller items (plastic wrap on the pallet was open, so a couple people grabbed before the proper time), but on the whole they did a good job controlling the chaos. At one lengthy TV line, the employees counted off 50 buyers down the line (for each on the pallet), handing out numbers. I thought this was nice and kept the crowd from growing. Hoping that sort of thing occurs this time for my Emerson!

Edit: Well, nothing is so simple. Kmart is doing a 50" Proscan doorbuster for $288 (no specs, 'models may vary'), and Sears has a Toshiba 50" LED (edge-lit, I'm sure) for $299. Both those are 8pm deals; my new plan is to camp out for a few hours in front of Sears, if I miss that one hit Kmart on the way by, and at worst continue my plan of an overnight stay at WalMart. Anyone have any input or advice on this (other than to say I'm nuts)?

Are these tires instore only?
Does anyone know how much WalMart will charge to put these tired on my mini van?
Can i buy these tires online and put it on van instore?

CharredPC said:   After heavy internal debate, I'm going to try for the 'Event 3' (5am) 50" 1080p Emerson tv for $298. Coming from an ancient 200 lb. mid 90's 40" CRT, I'm thinking it'll do fine. Yes, it's 60hz and LCD... but considering that I'm not into sports (seems to be the biggest motion blur complaint), that this room is always dark (LED appears to produce 'whiter whites'), and the Relic that I'm upgrading from- how can you beat $298? I've never seen a price that low (roughly $326 after taxes) for that size of 1080p tv.

Luckily due to work schedules, my family is having their event on Tuesday. With several Walmarts in my area, my plan is to pick a slightly more rural one, go there at 8pm Thursday, and park my butt until 5am Friday. I've wasted nine hours doing dumber things, and it's an investment, right? I notice that this one is a 'Special Buy' with no guarantee of quantity; hopefully upon arrival a friendly employee will know if they have them stocked, so I can switch locations if needed.

Last year the local Walmarts were fairly well organized- some of the high profile laptop and tv pallets were put in the less-traveled aisles, such as home and garden or plumbing / electrical. An employee was assigned to each one to ensure some sort of order and fairness. Things got a little crazy with the smaller items (plastic wrap on the pallet was open, so a couple people grabbed before the proper time), but on the whole they did a good job controlling the chaos. At one lengthy TV line, the employees counted off 50 buyers down the line (for each on the pallet), handing out numbers. I thought this was nice and kept the crowd from growing. Hoping that sort of thing occurs this time for my Emerson!

Edit: Well, nothing is so simple. Kmart is doing a 50" Proscan doorbuster for $288 (no specs, 'models may vary'), and Sears has a Toshiba 50" LED (edge-lit, I'm sure) for $299. Both those are 8pm deals; my new plan is to camp out for a few hours in front of Sears, if I miss that one hit Kmart on the way by, and at worst continue my plan of an overnight stay at WalMart. Anyone have any input or advice on this (other than to say I'm nuts)?

You are not nuts. This is an event like tailgating in a parking lot with a bunch of friends before a football game. I plan to take my chances on the Sears deal. The add say "Major Manufacture" so it may not be a Toshiba in every store. Have fun and good luck!

No one is putting a gun to ur head and asking you to shop People with nothing to do like me will shop on BF or thanksgiving.. I dont see people complain about games that are played on thanksgiving or christmas or new years

nmsmith said:   "i sorry but i think any opening on thanksgiving is wrong they can at least leave one day for families to be together ..of course people on here will disagree but i think thanksgiving and christmas you can stay home and be with family"

IrfanPathan said:   will WalMart be open ?
http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2012-11-16/wal-mart-workers...

Old news, see http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/deal-discussion/1227943/ if you think it will really matter.

for all the ma and ri Peeps, remember blue laws prohibits WalMart and others from opening before midnight.

GeorgeT said:   
You are not nuts. This is an event like tailgating in a parking lot with a bunch of friends before a football game. I plan to take my chances on the Sears deal. The add say "Major Manufacture" so it may not be a Toshiba in every store. Have fun and good luck!

I think Sears has two $299 50" deals; the one I'm looking at specifies Toshiba (model L2200). I believe the other one is an open ended "major manufacturer", without even denoting 720 or 1080. If I may ask, when are you planning to start the waiting game outside your local Sears? I'm thinking that a daytime wait at Sears will be more pleasant than an overnight stay at WalMart, so hoping to get this one...

Antonius66 said:   nomonies said:   FINDMEDEALS2003 said:   i sorry but i think any opening on thanksgiving is wrong they can at least leave one day for families to be together ..of course people on here will disagree but i think thanksgiving and christmas you can stay home and be with family

I agree 100% and was going to make the same comment.

I know a lot of people that either A) don't care about/celebrate thanksgiving, B) don't have family nearby so they don't have anywhere to go on Thanksgiving,

Yes, illegal aliens need something to do when U.S. citizens are celebrating Thanksgiving. LOL

they've got the Sig Sauer SIGM400 rifle for 897....not a bad price....but I found it humorous that it comes in either 5.56 OR .223 LOL

I will definitely be boycotting this. Having employees work ON THANKSGIVING is disgusting. Wal-Mart's greed has no end.

opathal said:   I will definitely be boycotting this. Having employees work ON THANKSGIVING is disgusting
Wal-Mart's greed has no end.

Are these inDENTURED employees

CharredPC said:   GeorgeT said:   

I think Sears has two $299 50" deals; the one I'm looking at specifies Toshiba (model L2200). I believe the other one is an open ended "major manufacturer", without even denoting 720 or 1080. If I may ask, when are you planning to start the waiting game outside your local Sears? I'm thinking that a daytime wait at Sears will be more pleasant than an overnight stay at WalMart, so hoping to get this one...

I was planing to get to Sears before 8pm on Thanksgiving day, but with these recent post about make people work on Thanksgiving, my guilt meter is starting to go off.

I just bought a house full of furniture from a neighbor who was moving. I may spend the weekend getting that stuff setup and pass on the tv this year.

RE:
Working on Holidays

No one is forcing these people to work, they could get another job.
Look what happened to the Hostess (Twinkies) workers.
They went on strike, the company said ba bye....
Now you have no job.

Please... if they don 't like it get another job. I'm a mechanical engineer and work for an electric utility company. I do not get paid any overtime and I've been forced to work Thanksgiving and Christmas. At least they get paid. These people need to grow up, be grateful they have a job, and if they don't like it then take their talent elsewhere.

opathal said:   I will definitely be boycotting this. Having employees work ON THANKSGIVING is disgusting. Wal-Mart's greed has no end.

Lol, yeah, Wal-Mart is obviously the only bastion of greed in the world that asks their employees to work on a holiday.

Also: Not everyone cares about whether or not they work on a holiday, and even more people don't celebrate the same holidays as Christians/Americans....

Why are you supporting use of the internet, it's open 24/7, and someone has to be ready if a system/server goes down, am I right? Do you boycott healthcare as well? No holidays there. How about gas stations? Most of those are open on holidays. Movie theaters? Wow, must be a boring life what with all that... boycotting and not much else happening.

I certainly don't condone Wal-Mart tactics, but them trying to get a piece of the pie and do the same as every other retailer is worse... how, exactly?

yesidonoitall said:   opathal said:   I will definitely be boycotting this. Having employees work ON THANKSGIVING is disgusting

WM's health plan doesn't cover dentures. Mercury-based fillings only.

knickdigger said:   yesidonoitall said:   opathal said:   I will definitely be boycotting this. Having employees work ON THANKSGIVING is disgusting

Nothing to do with teeth

indentured servant

noun American History .
a person who came to America and was placed under contract to work for another over a period of time, usually seven years, especially during the 17th to 19th centuries. Generally, indentured servants included redemptioners, victims of religious or political persecution, persons kidnapped for the purpose, convicts, and paupers.

ebbikenezer said:   opathal said:   I will definitely be boycotting this. Having employees work ON THANKSGIVING is disgusting. Wal-Mart's greed has no end.

Lol, yeah, Wal-Mart is obviously the only bastion of greed in the world that asks their employees to work on a holiday.

Also: Not everyone cares about whether or not they work on a holiday, and even more people don't celebrate the same holidays as Christians/Americans....

Why are you supporting use of the internet, it's open 24/7, and someone has to be ready if a system/server goes down, am I right? Do you boycott healthcare as well? No holidays there. How about gas stations? Most of those are open on holidays. Movie theaters? Wow, must be a boring life what with all that... boycotting and not much else happening.

I certainly don't condone Wal-Mart tactics, but them trying to get a piece of the pie and do the same as every other retailer is worse... how, exactly?

Comparing life saving/providing assistance being paid considerably more money is quite different that saving $100 on a TV. Its safe to say medical professionals have a choice. This is the exact reason I turned down my pharmacy school interviews.....no amount of money is worth missing time with my family.

Americans/Christians......I thought we were talking about America, I didn't realize you were shopping abroad this season. Unless you provide evidence otherwise, I would venture to say a majority of USA Wal-Mart workers celebrate Thanksgiving.

You state not everyone cares, you must mean that the employees were given the option....because if not, this again is a worthless point.

You don't condone.....but you'll support it? Isn't that the definition of condoning? I'll be spending quality time with my family, I don't need to save a few hours work at the expense of memories with my loved ones during a special time of year. If you consider that boring.....I definitely agree I'm pretty boring.

yesidonoitall said:   knickdigger said:   yesidonoitall said:   opathal said:   I will definitely be boycotting this. Having employees work ON THANKSGIVING is disgusting

Nothing to do with teeth

indentured servant

noun American History .
a person who came to America and was placed under contract to work for another over a period of time, usually seven years, especially during the 17th to 19th centuries. Generally, indentured servants included redemptioners, victims of religious or political persecution, persons kidnapped for the purpose, convicts, and paupers.

Yes, because the average Wal-Mart worker has nothing but options in this economy.

Thing is the police, fire, healthcare employees, etc. knew before getting the job that they would be working holidays. I'm guessing most of the WalMart employees did not.

yesidonoitall said:   RE:
Working on Holidays

Now you have no job.

For the younger employees, what other job are they supposed to get? If they go somewhere else, they'll likely have to work similar hours there too.

opathal said:   ebbikenezer said:   opathal said:   I will definitely be boycotting this. Having employees work ON THANKSGIVING is disgusting. Wal-Mart's greed has no end.

Comparing life saving/providing assistance being paid considerably more money is quite different that saving $100 on a TV. Its safe to say medical professionals have a choice. This is the exact reason I turned down my pharmacy school interviews.....no amount of money is worth missing time with my family.

Americans/Christians......I thought we were talking about America, I didn't realize you were shopping abroad this season. Unless you provide evidence otherwise, I would venture to say a majority of USA Wal-Mart workers celebrate Thanksgiving.

You state not everyone cares, you must mean that the employees were given the option....because if not, this again is a worthless point.

You don't condone.....but you'll support it? Isn't that the definition of condoning? I'll be spending quality time with my family, I don't need to save a few hours work at the expense of memories with my loved ones during a special time of year. If you consider that boring.....I definitely agree I'm pretty boring.

The employees do have an option, just like the majority of the American work force.

Oh, by the way: The American population is not all Christian, but... I can see why you'd think that based on your answers.

There are other jobs of the caliber Wal-Mart employees have.. available, that don't require holidays being worked. And that's fine you turned down ANYTHING for family, that's a choice you made and it points to EXACTLY what I am saying: No one is forced to work at Wal-Mart on Thanksgiving, but I guess you assume it's Wal-Mart's fault for employing people, and then turning around and asking them to work the days they are open. Silly Wal-Mart, they should know better!!!!

Edit: Memories with loved ones: I go out every year for BF, with my siblings, cousins, nieces, nephew and father... because it's what my father has been doing with all of us since we were 5, maybe 6 years old. These are my family memories, I cherish them and we have a blast every year. People working on Thanksgiving I have no guilt towards at ALL, I don't see them shouting out about the inequalities and injustices when a server crashes and I get called in at 2 AM to do a 20 hour work shift on Christmas day, all day away from family, because people want to be able to do their online banking on Christmas day for some reason. I suck it up, and I work. It's the job I accepted.

Slickone said:   Thing is the police, fire, healthcare employees, etc. knew before getting the job that they would be working holidays. I'm guessing most of the WalMart employees did not.

Working on Holidays

Now you have no job.

For the younger employees, what other job are they supposed to get? If they go somewhere else, they'll likely have to work similar hours there too.

Say what? What planet are you from to think that someone who goes to work at Wally World doesn't know they are open 24/7 in most areas?

As far as younger people not being able to gain employment elsewhere, that is a joke, at best. They may chose not to seek employment elsewhere or be willing to gain training or experience to do something, and that is their fault, isn't it? Is there no such thing as personal accountability anymore?

lkdash said:   Are these tires instore only?
Does anyone know how much WalMart will charge to put these tired on my mini van?
Can i buy these tires online and put it on van instore?

Most likely the tire deal is instore only. I got tires from WalMart about a month ago and they charged about $8/tire to mount/balance. It's a little more if your car has TPMS. I think the best move would be to buy the tires from WalMart on Black Friday, but don't have them installed then. Take them home with you and bring them back on a day when they are less busy to have them mounted.

Mickie3 said:   Slickone said:   Thing is the police, fire, healthcare employees, etc. knew before getting the job that they would be working holidays. I'm guessing most of the WalMart employees did not.

Working on Holidays

Now you have no job.

Say what? What planet are you from to think that someone who goes to work at Wally World doesn't know they are open 24/7 in most areas?

As far as younger people not being able to gain employment elsewhere, that is a joke, at best. They may chose not to seek employment elsewhere or be willing to gain training or experience to do something, and that is their fault, isn't it? Is there no such thing as personal accountability anymore?

Exactly.....
I was taught, if you do not like all associated with your job.
YOU GET ANOTHER JOB .

Ties from WM.
Never again...

I had a flat tire from them, they said put it over there and come back tomorrow.....

Back to Les Schwab....
I take a flat in, on the car GOING LOW OR IN THE TRUCK....
Pull it right here and we will fix it pronto...
And they do.
Right then.

workers in 1,000 stores in Dallas, Minnesota, Chicago, Miami, Louisiana, Milwaukee, Oklahoma, Los Angeles, and Washington, D.C. are planning on walking out this week. Employees say that the extended Thanksgiving hours were announced with little warning and employees weren't allowed to opt out of working during the holiday-tromping shift.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.