• Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Order Summary
Disclaimer
This is a little complicated, but it did work for me. I have been looking for a cheap, but functional multi drawer tool chest. I checked out the Sears “Craftsman 11-Drawer 3 Piece Basic Ball-Bearing Combination” (link below). Reviews are OK; checked it out in a store and it’s a little flimsy, but should work OK for light use. And, it’s not $600 like a pro box would be.

Saw that it would be $199.99 for a Black Friday early buy, but that is was $219.99 on sale right now. I figured $20 more was worth not having to fight BF crowds. But, adding a few coupons I got it down to $179.97 now. That’s pretty good, IMHO.

Here’s how I got there…this being Sears YMMV. I do believe you may need to be a member of the “Craftsman Club” and signed in to get the discount. It’s free.
www.craftsman.com .

Add Item to cart
Item

Add two coupons:
SAVEONTOOLS – drops price by $35
SEARS2012 – drops price by $5

Ship to store is free; add your local sales tax.

Total w/o tax is $179.98. That’s as good a price as I have seen.

Member Summary

Craftsman11-Drawer 3 Piece Basic Ball-Bearing Tool Chest
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
I did find one non-Sears link that said "saveontools" was good until 11/17. It's possible it will come back. I would not... (more)

dogmeat (Nov. 12, 2012 @ 5:42p) |

I didnt think of it in terms of only $13 more. . So I went ahead and ordered it, while I wait and see if the SAVEONTOOLS... (more)

AFO (Nov. 13, 2012 @ 7:08a) |

The "saveontools" code that saved $35 seems to be dead, so this deal is dead. This tool chest is in some of the BF flyer... (more)

dogmeat (Nov. 13, 2012 @ 4:50p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Almost the price of the Harbor Freight on at $150! Green!

tdc7 said:   Almost the price of the Harbor Freight on at $150! Green!

I was planning to buy the HB chest, but I liked the two bigger drawers on the bottom on this unit. On the HB unit, that area is open. Personal preference.

I see you used the codes from my thread

dogmeat said:   tdc7 said:   Almost the price of the Harbor Freight on at $150! Green!

I was planning to buy the HB chest, but I liked the two bigger drawers on the bottom on this unit. On the HB unit, that area is open. Personal preference.


I meant this one's a better deal, since that one is always $150 w/ the coupon plus it's ball bearing

Wonder if the drawers are locked when the lid is closed?

saintlewie said:   Wonder if the drawers are locked when the lid is closed?

Most boxes seem that they do nowadays, fwiw my non-ball bearing craftsman does lock

saintlewie said:   Wonder if the drawers are locked when the lid is closed?

I don't believe so. It seems to have a bar you place across the drawers to lock...almost certainly a cheaper design. If I'm wrong, I'll report back when I get mine.

Wonder if it makes sense to wait for friends and family sale on Sunday? Or have we already maxed out savings with these coupons?

I thought only the red ones were ball-bearing. I once ordered a black one from Sears that was supoosed to be ball-bearing and when it came in it wasn't. Complained to CS and was told the price I got was still a great deal and all they offered me was a $10 coupon.

In fact, looking at the photo, I think this is the exact one.

If you have Discovercard CashBack handy, get the Lands End egiftcards instantly at a 20% discount.

VirginiaDC said:   I once ordered a black one from Sears that was supoosed to be ball-bearing and when it came in it wasn't. Complained to CS and was told the price I got was still a great deal and all they offered me was a $10 coupon.

If their item description says ball bearing, and it's not, it doesn't matter if the CS rep thinks you still got a good deal. $10 of "shut up and go away" money is a joke, especially considering it's not money, it's something you can't use unless you buy something else from them. I hope you didn't just say "ok, thanks".

dscline said:   VirginiaDC said:   I once ordered a black one from Sears that was supoosed to be ball-bearing and when it came in it wasn't. Complained to CS and was told the price I got was still a great deal and all they offered me was a $10 coupon.

If their item description says ball bearing, and it's not, it doesn't matter if the CS rep thinks you still got a good deal. $10 of "shut up and go away" money is a joke, especially considering it's not money, it's something you can't use unless you buy something else from them. I hope you didn't just say "ok, thanks".


Well, it actually was a good deal so i took the $10 and kept it. I'm still curious if this one at this price is truly ball bearing.

VirginiaDC said:   dscline said:   VirginiaDC said:   I once ordered a black one from Sears that was supoosed to be ball-bearing and when it came in it wasn't. Complained to CS and was told the price I got was still a great deal and all they offered me was a $10 coupon.

If their item description says ball bearing, and it's not, it doesn't matter if the CS rep thinks you still got a good deal. $10 of "shut up and go away" money is a joke, especially considering it's not money, it's something you can't use unless you buy something else from them. I hope you didn't just say "ok, thanks".


Well, it actually was a good deal so i took the $10 and kept it. I'm still curious if this one at this price is truly ball bearing.


So, not only did you not get what you were supposed to, you made it harder for other consumers to get what they deserve by accepting their placating coupon instead of holding them accountable for their actions. Thanks.

Buying anything from Sears these days seems to be an adventure in stupidity.

Checked on my pick-up order yesterday afternoon on the Sears website. It said it was cancelled! So I called customer service (oxymoron when it comes to Sears) and this guy from who knows where was completely befuddled. He must have said “Bear with me” thirty times.

Eventually, he said the order wasn’t cancelled, but completed and to go down to Sears and pick it up. He said he would also send me an e-mail. Ten minutes later I got an e-mail and it told me “Your order was cancelled”.

So…I went down to my local Sears; which is not a big store but one of the small “Hometown Sears” stores you find in small towns. They were helpful. They said that the main Sears computer didn’t really have real time data for their store. They take an order as if it is in stock; then send an e-mail to the store asking if they have it. If the answer is no, or no reply, they cancel the order. The local store was never contacted.

It turns out they did have the tool chests and honored the price I got online. Good folks.

Got the three pieces home and first opened the bottom unit. No dents, but I had to practically pry the bottom two drawers open. The second drawer had the heavy casters in it and my guess is that 6000 miles of bouncing from China to here was too much and one drawer slide broke off. That drawer then rode on the bottom drawer and bent it.

However, that allows me to report that there are ball bearings in the slides; very small ball bearings, but they are there. Took it back to the store and they ordered me a replacement w/o any issues.

That said, the middle and top units were perfect. They are actually better than I expected (haven’t loaded them with tools yet).

The drawers on the top unit do not lock when the top is down. The drawers are locked by a bar that fits into the lock at the top and holds them closed, something I will probably never use.

All in all, happy with the chests and what I paid for them, but wondering how long before Sears is bankrupt.

Thanks, been wanting a tool cabinet set.

saintlewie said:   Wonder if the drawers are locked when the lid is closed?

Only the top box the other 2 have to be locked individually.

Sarrkazztic said:   saintlewie said:   Wonder if the drawers are locked when the lid is closed?

Only the top box the other 2 have to be locked individually.


Actually, at least on the one I got, there is no mechanism to lock the drawers when the top is closed. You need to use a bar that slides across the drawers to lock them.

I like this better. I find it a big pain in the backside to have to open the top every time an need to open a drawer.

I agree Dog. There's no reason for me to lock it, and then I set things on top and have to move them to open the drawer, or remember not to close the drawers all the way.

Any suggestions where to buy quality accessories (compartments, tool organizers, liners) cheaper? The price at Sears is a ripoff. $10 for a piece of plastic tray and $25 for a roll of liner! This unit is ok so far, it does not have that solid feel to it. Opening/closing the drawers does not feel smooth. The metal is thin. It does look very nice.

SS7Man said:   Any suggestions where to buy quality accessories (compartments, tool organizers, liners) cheaper? The price at Sears is a ripoff. $10 for a piece of plastic tray and $25 for a roll of liner! This unit is ok so far, it does not have that solid feel to it. Opening/closing the drawers does not feel smooth. The metal is thin. It does look very nice.

I just went to the Dollar store and bought a few rolls of the non-skid drawer liners. Certainly not as sturdy as the Sears stuff, but 1/12 the price. If it doesn't work or last, I haven't invested much.

The SAVEONTOOLS coupon cannot be used. I believe it is because of the "family and friends" sale.
Does anyone know if the SAVEONTOOLS coupon will be available for use after the "family and friends" sale is over tomorrow morning?

AFO said:   The SAVEONTOOLS coupon cannot be used. I believe it is because of the "family and friends" sale.
Does anyone know if the SAVEONTOOLS coupon will be available for use after the "family and friends" sale is over tomorrow morning?


I did find one non-Sears link that said "saveontools" was good until 11/17. It's possible it will come back. I would note that with currect discounts it's $193; $7 less than the BF doorbuster price, but $13 more than it could be had a few days ago. I suppose we'll know tomorrow if this deal is dead or not. Good luck!

dogmeat said:   AFO said:   The SAVEONTOOLS coupon cannot be used. I believe it is because of the "family and friends" sale.
Does anyone know if the SAVEONTOOLS coupon will be available for use after the "family and friends" sale is over tomorrow morning?


I did find one non-Sears link that said "saveontools" was good until 11/17. It's possible it will come back. I would note that with currect discounts it's $193; $7 less than the BF doorbuster price, but $13 more than it could be had a few days ago. I suppose we'll know tomorrow if this deal is dead or not. Good luck!


I didnt think of it in terms of only $13 more. . So I went ahead and ordered it, while I wait and see if the SAVEONTOOLS code will be usable again. If it is usable in the next few days, will cancel the current order and use that to save the extra $13.
This way, I am not losing out on both the codes by some freak chance.

The "saveontools" code that saved $35 seems to be dead, so this deal is dead. This tool chest is in some of the BF flyers at $199.99 and other sales will certainly be coming up. But, this specific deal is over. Hope all who wanted a set got one.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014