• 15 6 78916
  • Page
  • Text Only
mathfaster said:   woomanhei said:   It sounds like buying $200 is much profitable than $100.

I bought one $100 today, since the limit is 10 Staples rebate per address, should I get 4 more $200 & 1 more $100 to get the $150 Staples GC? I am confused now.
Yes you should. $11.90 in fees for 2x$100 or $6.95 for $200. $30 in rebates either way.

Save some money on the fees.

picked up 5 x $200 GC today, no issues paying with AMEX CC.

mathfaster said:   For those who shop safeway/Von's there is a way to add to this deal. Von's(safeway) is giving a $10 coupon towards your next shopping trip wyb $100 Mastercard. $4 net or $10 net (after the $5.99 fee) if you have an AMEX Blue Cash Preferred card (6% back on groceries) and your store allows you to buy gift cards with a cc. Take the MasterCard from safeway and buy another MasterCard or Visa $100 card at Staples. Of course you have to pay another $5.99 fee for each card. Minimizes the number of cards you then have to cash out via some other method.

Thanks Mathfast for the Vons/safeway method. I'm going to go this route and get $100 x 10 and hopefully get 10 $10 coupons. $1059.90 for $1000GC and $100 worth of coupons = $40 profit (turkey dinner) plus possibly 2% Cash Back.

Then go to Staples and buy $200 x 5 MC/V with my $1000 from Vons. $150 GC - $35 activation fee = $115 profit

I didn't participate in these deals before but I will now. I also saw that my albertson recently had buy $100 worth of gift cards and get $20 coupon. Man I should have done that deal. I'm sure it will return.

SuperOcean said:   mathfaster said:   For those who shop safeway/Von's there is a way to add to this deal. Von's(safeway) is giving a $10 coupon towards your next shopping trip wyb $100 Mastercard. $4 net or $10 net (after the $5.99 fee) if you have an AMEX Blue Cash Preferred card (6% back on groceries) and your store allows you to buy gift cards with a cc. Take the MasterCard from safeway and buy another MasterCard or Visa $100 card at Staples. Of course you have to pay another $5.99 fee for each card. Minimizes the number of cards you then have to cash out via some other method.

Thanks Mathfast for the Vons/safeway method. I'm going to go this route and get $100 x 10 and hopefully get 10 $10 coupons. $1059.90 for $1000GC and $100 worth of coupons = $40 profit (turkey dinner) plus possibly 2% Cash Back.

Then go to Staples and buy $200 x 5 MC/V with my $1000 from Vons. $150 GC - $35 activation fee = $115 profit

I didn't participate in these deals before but I will now. I also saw that my albertson recently had buy $100 worth of gift cards and get $20 coupon. Man I should have done that deal. I'm sure it will return.
I found out the hard way only one ten dollar coupon per day at Von's. You may or may not be able to buy a gift card at Staples with a gift card from Von's or roll the ones you buy from Staples.

my4mainecoons said:   For those who don't like to have a lot of gc-- Last time I bought 7 gc at once (all that the store had). Later in the week was in another store and they had cards so I used 3 of the original 7 cards to buy 3 more. I suppose you could buy one, use it to buy the next, etc. but if you're going to do that I'd do it when the store isn't busy and you have a patient cashier.

Posted this in Grocery forum but for those who don't follow RA threads:
$100 Visa/MC gc - activation fee => $9.05 MMAR
use the gc to buy Home Improvement gc at RA on BF-- get $10 +Up for each $50 gc. Limit 2 per Wellness card. Use 1 Visa/MC gc to buy 2 $50 HI gc. Get back 2 $10 +Up rewards.
Use the $20 +Up to buy anything (exc. alcohol, lottery tickets, gc, tobacco, etc.) you want at RA
Use the 2 Home Improvement gc at Lowe's to buy any gc they sell (e.g. Staples, gas station, etc.)
net $29.05 MM per $100 initial outlay.

The home improvement stores that you can use these HI GC includes stores like Sears. That that mean I can buy any thing at Sears? Or just home improvement stuffs?

TIA

this happened to me before, what it SHOWS means NOTHING! takes more than a month to receive and they can fix, deny, alter the amount in those weeks.

confused200 said:   my4mainecoons said:   For those who don't like to have a lot of gc-- Last time I bought 7 gc at once (all that the store had). Later in the week was in another store and they had cards so I used 3 of the original 7 cards to buy 3 more. I suppose you could buy one, use it to buy the next, etc. but if you're going to do that I'd do it when the store isn't busy and you have a patient cashier.

Posted this in Grocery forum but for those who don't follow RA threads:
$100 Visa/MC gc - activation fee => $9.05 MMAR
use the gc to buy Home Improvement gc at RA on BF-- get $10 +Up for each $50 gc. Limit 2 per Wellness card. Use 1 Visa/MC gc to buy 2 $50 HI gc. Get back 2 $10 +Up rewards.
Use the $20 +Up to buy anything (exc. alcohol, lottery tickets, gc, tobacco, etc.) you want at RA
Use the 2 Home Improvement gc at Lowe's to buy any gc they sell (e.g. Staples, gas station, etc.)
net $29.05 MM per $100 initial outlay.

The home improvement stores that you can use these HI GC includes stores like Sears. That that mean I can buy any thing at Sears? Or just home improvement stuffs?

TIA

You can buy anything at Sears.

confused200 said:   

TIA

anything at any of the listed stores. As MrVietnam posted, these are just re-branded Discover cards. You can use them to buy anything in the store and probably online as well, including gift cards.

Products Purchased:
$200 VISA GIFT
$200 VISA GIFT
$100 VISA

Validation in progress.

* Staples Gift Card for $90.00

HmMmMMmmmm...... should have been 75... unless these are manual entries by a person and they assumed 3 200....

So I bought 5 $200's in separate transactions and the rebate form says I only qualified for 1 rebate per order. I trust that is wrong and it will show up as $30 when it clears. I was able to use the card immediately for the next transactions so I only ended up with a single gift card to spend. Was surprised that FIA did not cut me off with multiple $6.95 transactions to pay for the fee on subsequent cards. Fortunately the store was not busy so there were no lines until I was on the last one.

camar0 said:   Products Purchased:
$200 VISA GIFT
$200 VISA GIFT
$100 VISA

Validation in progress.

HmMmMMmmmm...... should have been 75... unless these are manual entries by a person and they assumed 3 200....
The system has been doing some weird things with the rebate amount when you buy more than one $200 card in the same transaction.

Has anyone tried purchasing a sixth $200 card?
I realize the limit is 10 $100 cards, and I would assume the system is smart enough to count the $200 cards as two of the limit of 10...but still, I wonder....

BeanTech said:   Has anyone tried purchasing a sixth $200 card?
I realize the limit is 10 $100 cards, and I would assume the system is smart enough to count the $200 cards as two of the limit of 10...but still, I wonder....

if you have done rebates before, you will know they will love to reject you

camar0 said:   BeanTech said:   Has anyone tried purchasing a sixth $200 card?

if you have done rebates before, you will know they will love to reject you

With MIRs, I'd agree. SERs are a different animal though.

BeanTech said:   

With MIRs, I'd agree. SERs are a different animal though.

True, but since their system already seems to be doing odd things (positive for now)...not sure how much you want to rock the boat.

BeanTech said:   Has anyone tried purchasing a sixth $200 card?
Be brave! Risk $6.95 (of your money, not mine). Tell us how it goes!

Cashier says "you can't buy gift cards with gift cards!" O, well.

billrubin said:   So can you buy 1, then use that to pay for the next one (adding $5.95 on a separate card for the activation) and so on and so on? That way you only end up with a single $100 card to get rid of.

Isn't there some time lag for activation after purchase?

invisible said:   billrubin said:   So can you buy 1, then use that to pay for the next one (adding $5.95 on a separate card for the activation) and so on and so on? That way you only end up with a single $100 card to get rid of.

Recently I bought a $100 MC at Staples and a notice printed on my receipt saying that it will take 24 hours to activate. On all other occasions, the cards that I bought were activated immediately. Not sure why I ran into a 24-hour lag time in that one particular instance.

burkotron5k said:   Cashier says "you can't buy gift cards with gift cards!" O, well.

same here

camar0 said:   Products Purchased:
$200 VISA GIFT
$200 VISA GIFT
$100 VISA

Validation in progress.

Congratulations on your extra free money.

roy7736 said:   invisible said:   billrubin said:   So can you buy 1, then use that to pay for the next one (adding $5.95 on a separate card for the activation) and so on and so on? That way you only end up with a single $100 card to get rid of.

Recently I bought a $100 MC at Staples and a notice printed on my receipt saying that it will take 24 hours to activate. On all other occasions, the cards that I bought were activated immediately. Not sure why I ran into a 24-hour lag time in that one particular instance.
Sometimes their systems are down and they are not connected to the main system I believe, so I'm guessing that may have been related. I can tell you that for the cards that I bought today, I used them immediately after purchase to buy the next one.

I submitted one of my $200 gift cards at SER and it is showing up as a $30 gift card. Great deal!

DiMAn0684 said:   picked up 5 x $200 GC today, no issues paying with AMEX CC.

Same here. Submitted rebate and shows I qualify for $150 gift card. Already spent the 5 X $200 cards.

Hello. Anyone tried this yet? Do you knowmwhat is the limit?

ymprncess said:   Hello. Anyone tried this yet? Do you knowmwhat is the limit?

???? are you not reading the thread

ymprncess said:   Hello. Anyone tried this yet? Do you know what is the limit?Tried what? We don't what "this" is from your post since you did not reply to a previous post. If by "this" you mean buying gcs there are plenty of posts where people have bought these gcs.

ymprncess said:   Hello. Anyone tried this yet? Do you knowmwhat is the limit?

ymprncess said:   Hello. Anyone tried this yet? Do you knowmwhat is the limit?Nope.

So the bottom line is to buy 10 of $200 cards, did I get it right?

billrubin said:   So I bought 5 $200's in separate transactions and the rebate form says I only qualified for 1 rebate per order. I trust that is wrong and it will show up as $30 when it clears. I was able to use the card immediately for the next transactions so I only ended up with a single gift card to spend. Was surprised that FIA did not cut me off with multiple $6.95 transactions to pay for the fee on subsequent cards. Fortunately the store was not busy so there were no lines until I was on the last one. same here ? Bought three $100 and 1 $200 but the form says , 1 rebate per order. Did you get any updates on your submission yet ?

prikindel said:   So the bottom line is to buy 10 of $200 cards, did I get it right?

no

Item #076750095160 is for the $200 Visa Gift Card
Item #375429 is for the $6.95 fee

Just picked up 3x$200 Visa GCs and paid $620.85 using AMEX Simplycash CC (5% Cash Back is $31.04 so $589.81 after c/b) -- cashier rang me up without a problem (name tag showed sales associate, no manager needed)

Best case: $135 Staples GC (if Staples doesn't correct the rebate)
Ok case: $90 GC (if Staples uses $100 increments then $15x6)
Worst case: $45 GC (if Staples uses $15 per $100+ GC)

Going to risk it and buy another 3x$200 later on (dont want to set off fraud alert with AMEX)

jatan1986 said:   Item #076750095160 is for the $200 Visa Gift Card

Just picked up 3x$200 Visa GCs and paid $620.85 using AMEX Simplycash CC (5% Cash Back is $31.04 so $589.81 after c/b) -- cashier rang me up without a problem (name tag showed sales associate, no manager needed)

Going to risk it and buy another 3x$200 later on (dont want to set off fraud alert with AMEX)

how did you come up with $135 ??

Best case: $90 ($15 per $100) + $10.19 in CashBack (diff of activation and CashBack)

Cashier, manager, and another cashier told me "you can't by gift cards with a Credit card." They said it is a store policy and has been that way for 4 years. I can only buy a gift card using a Debit card. This is a store in Minnesota. I am going to need to try the other Staples in town and see if they have the same BS. I have bought gift cards from other stores stuch as Office Depot using a "credit" card last year.

that sucks.... never seen an issue using a credit card to buy a gift card....

i even used these visa gift cards to rebuy other visa gift cards.... if they look confused when trying to purchase, just tell them it will work and swipe it

Found this post from 2010 on google search:

Found this post in a google search: Text

"Most of the places near me claim they now want only debit or cash to buy a gift card, due to fraud. The thing is, I don't want to have to deposit money every time I need to buy a gift card, I just want to pay it monthly. Does anyone else have this problem with stores? Target said this to me, Best Buy said this, Trader Joe's, Ralph's, Vons/safeway all said this. I am thinking, if I can do it on their website, then why can't I buy a gift card in person with my credit card?""

camar0 said:   jatan1986 said:   Item #076750095160 is for the $200 Visa Gift Card

Best case: $90 ($15 per $100) + $10.19 in CashBack (diff of activation and CashBack)
Rebate system is glitching so if Staples doesnt fix it then a 3x$200 purchase will give a $135 GC

The $10.19 difference I just consider it as broken even since spending $600 on a regular CC would give me 1% Cash Back so these prepaid cards are worth $594 to me

They did try to swipe it. It didn't work for cashier, he called another one over who said it was the need for a debit card issue. They then called over a manager who said the same thing.

jatan1986 said:   camar0 said:   jatan1986 said:   Item #076750095160 is for the $200 Visa Gift Card

Rebate system is glitching so if Staples doesnt fix it then a 3x$200 purchase will give a $135 GC

The $10.19 difference I just consider it as broken even since spending $600 on a regular CC would give me 1% Cash Back so these prepaid cards are worth $594 to me

What glitch? I just re-read through the entire thread and this is the first mention of it.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014