• 16 7 891016
  • Page
  • Text Only
Bought 5x$200 in one transaction. I will see if I get $150 staple card.

GreatB said:   Bought 5x$200 in one transaction. I will see if I get $150 staple card.

Did rebate receipt print out for you? What time did you do your transaction?

FlyingBoat said:   Cashier, manager, and another cashier told me "you can't by gift cards with a Credit card." They said it is a store policy and has been that way for 4 years. I can only buy a gift card using a Debit card. This is a store in Minnesota. I am going to need to try the other Staples in town and see if they have the same BS. I have bought gift cards from other stores stuch as Office Depot using a "credit" card last year.Depends on the store. Some supermarkets around me do not take credit cards, while others do. There is apparently a lot of fraud, people using stolen credit cards to buy gift cards. I'm guessing that in cases where they do not accept credit cards, it is because they got caught in a fraudulent situation and took a loss.

metsfan said:   What glitch? I just re-read through the entire thread and this is the first mention of it.Agreed. The only glitch I've seen mentioned is where someone bought 2 x $200 and 1 x $100 and got a rebate for 3 x $200.

Well. I just bought $200 gift cards almost exactly the way I wanted ...

1. Buy one $200 gc. Pay with debit card, $206.95.

2. Buy second $200 gc, pay with first $200 gc ... $6.95 balance paid with debit card.

3. Rinse and repeat for four additional cards.

Yep ... in all the excitement, I accidentally bought six $200 cards. Picked up one, then noticed cashier was not busy. Picked up five more to see if I could do what I did - and I did, even going beyond my intentions! At least the question of a rebate on a sixth $200 card will now be addressed.

Rebates submitted and accepted. No "processed" e mails as of yet. I'll update later if/when update messages are received.

BTW ... Acworth (metro ATL Georgia) had plenty of $200 cards on display.

Its confusing because the rebate says get $15 for 100 or more .. i bought 5x200 and submitted the easy rebate
where does it say $150?

metsfan said:   What glitch? I just re-read through the entire thread and this is the first mention of it.

The glitch discussion started on SD yesterday.

ymprncess said:   Hello. Anyone tried this yet? Do you knowmwhat is the limit?

Limit is 450 rebates.

c3 said:   metsfan said:   What glitch? I just re-read through the entire thread and this is the first mention of it.

The glitch discussion started on SD yesterday.

I'm confused. I was under the impression that people were buying 5 of the $200 Visa cards and getting a rebate validated for a $150 Staples GC. Has something changed?

per transaction:

$200 x1: $30 (correct)
$200 x2: $75 ($15 too much)
$200 x3: $135 ($45 too much)
$200 x4: $150 ($30 too much)
$200 x5: $150 (correct)

They can always go back and fix these extra rebates.

Napnap on SD just posted this explanation:

due to software glitch, if you buy 3 x $200, you will get $135 (not $90 as you would expect)

roy7736 said:   Napnap on SD just posted this explanation:

due to software glitch, if you buy 3 x $200, you will get $135 (not $90 as you would expect)

that's probably fixable on SPLS' part unless they process it right away which they should since GC are not eligible for return

c3 said:   per transaction:

yes they can, and my guess is they will.

mrtrance said:   GreatB said:   Bought 5x$200 in one transaction. I will see if I get $150 staple card.

Did rebate receipt print out for you? What time did you do your transaction?

The rebate receipt printed out. It was a few hour ago. I submitted to easyrebate. I got the first confirmation email.

FatRick said:   Well. I just bought $200 gift cards almost exactly the way I wanted ...

1. Buy one $200 gc. Pay with debit card, $206.95.

2. Buy second $200 gc, pay with first $200 gc ... $6.95 balance paid with debit card.

3. Rinse and repeat for four additional cards.

Yep ... in all the excitement, I accidentally bought six $200 cards. Picked up one, then noticed cashier was not busy. Picked up five more to see if I could do what I did - and I did, even going beyond my intentions! At least the question of a rebate on a sixth $200 card will now be addressed.

Rebates submitted and accepted. No "processed" e mails as of yet. I'll update later if/when update messages are received.

BTW ... Acworth (metro ATL Georgia) had plenty of $200 cards on display.

awaiting your results to see if 10x $200 is a possibility. If the limit is 10 cards I do not quite see how you can reach the $450 SPLS GC level. You would need $300 denominations.

c3 said:   per transaction:

So probably the scenario is buy 4 $200 cards?

VirginiaDC said:   c3 said:   per transaction:

So probably the scenario is buy 4 $200 cards?
No, I'm guessing the scenario is to buy 3 $200 cards in one transaction and 2 in the next, that way you end up $210. Of course, the question is whether the rebate limit is $150, which is related to the question of being able to buy more than 5 of the $200's.

metsfan said:   What glitch? I just re-read through the entire thread and this is the first mention of it.Sorry, as mentioned earlier the glitch info started on SD (didnt realize it wasnt posted here)

Just submitted the rebate for my 3x$200 cards that I bought a few hours ago and my rebate email shows:
Thank you for submitting your rebate request(s) through Staples Easy Rebates! We have received rebate information for this/these product(s):
$200 VISA GIFT
$200 VISA GIFT
$200 VISA GIFT

My online tracking shows:
Rebate 1: Get a $15 Staples Gift Card on Purchase of $100 or more on Visa and Mastercard Gift Cards at Staples Stores Only
Rebate offer: * Staples Gift Card for $135.00
* This rebate amount is an estimate. Returns and exchanges will also affect the eligible rebate amount.

There is a chance that Staples will fix the glitch, but its worth taking a risk if they let some of the rebates go through

jatan1986 said:   metsfan said:   What glitch? I just re-read through the entire thread and this is the first mention of it.Sorry, as mentioned earlier the glitch info started on SD (didnt realize it wasnt posted here)

Just submitted the rebate for my 3x$200 cards that I bought a few hours ago and my rebate email shows:
Thank you for submitting your rebate request(s) through Staples Easy Rebates! We have received rebate information for this/these product(s):
$200 VISA GIFT
$200 VISA GIFT
$200 VISA GIFT

My online tracking shows:
Rebate 1: Get a $15 Staples Gift Card on Purchase of $100 or more on Visa and Mastercard Gift Cards at Staples Stores Only
Rebate offer: * Staples Gift Card for $135.00
* This rebate amount is an estimate. Returns and exchanges will also affect the eligible rebate amount.

There is a chance that Staples will fix the glitch, but its worth taking a risk if they let some of the rebates go through

So rebate receipt printed for you and on your receipt it indicated you are eligible for 1 rebate (even though you bought 3 Visa GCs) which one would assume that you can do up to 9 more since the max is 10 per name/address/household and each transaction translates into 1 Staples GC whether you purchased 1 Visa GC or 10 Visa GCs on that same transaction.

billrubin said:    Some supermarkets around me do not take credit cards, while others do. There is apparently a lot of fraud, people using stolen credit cards to buy gift cards. I'm guessing that in cases where they do not accept credit cards, it is because they got caught in a fraudulent situation and took a loss.

The strange thing about this is I'd think their chances of recovery would be BETTER if you used a stolen cc to buy a gift card.

If i walk into Staples and buy a $200 printer with a credit card I stole, once i walk out the door it's fairly likely that i am in the clear, and not going to get caught.

If instead I buy a SERIAL numbered gift card, that adds a little more of a paper trail, and perhaps give the store a (slight) chance of getting the gift card deactivated,or at least would give someone doing some sort of investigation another chance at catching me, since they will be able to track when and where the gc was used.

freakinout said:   The strange thing about this is I'd think their chances of recovery would be BETTER if you used a stolen cc to buy a gift card.

If i walk into Staples and buy a $200 printer with a credit card I stole, once i walk out the door it's fairly likely that i am in the clear, and not going to get caught.

If instead I buy a SERIAL numbered gift card, that adds a little more of a paper trail, and perhaps give the store a (slight) chance of getting the gift card deactivated,or at least would give someone doing some sort of investigation another chance at catching me, since they will be able to track when and where the gc was used.

Professionals who steal credit cards (or clone them) do not buy printers with them. They buy gift cards that can easily be sold.

My obligatory story whenever this sort of discussion comes up. I live in a suburban area outside of NYC. A couple of years ago, a cop pulled over a driver who had made an illegal left turn out of the parking lot of a shopping center with an A&P supermarket. When he looked in the car, he saw a large number of credit cards thrown around the car (there may have also been some drugs). It turns out these crooks had come up to my area from Brooklyn and were using stolen credit cards to buy gift cards at the supermarket, presumably because they took credit cards and were not as suspicious of fraudulent activity as at stores near them. Naturally they were arrested. The amusing part is that had the driver not made the illegal left turn, he would have been caught, at least not that day.

Oh, and that A&P no longer takes credit cards for gift card purchases.

mrtrance said:   So rebate receipt printed for you and on your receipt it indicated you are eligible for 1 rebate (even though you bought 3 Visa GCs) which one would assume that you can do up to 9 more since the max is 10 per name/address/household and each transaction translates into 1 Staples GC whether you purchased 1 Visa GC or 10 Visa GCs on that same transaction.Rebate receipt shows

Quantity you purchased: 3
Rebates you're eligible for: 1
Limits per customer/address: 10

I wouldn't rely on the rebate receipt saying eligible for 1 since the rebate email shows 3 items -- if you want to play it safe then buy 5 $200 cards or if you want to risk it then go for 10 $200 cards, but I wouldn't buy 3x$200 on each receipt and do 10 sets of 3 (30 $200 cards) since $1350 in rebate GCs will set off an alert somewhere at Staples rebate center (remember that they have a few weeks to fix the glitch if they notice it and prepaid GCs are not refundable so you're stuck with them)

I alrdy did 3x$200 so I'm deciding on if I should do 2x$200 ($90 GC) or 3x$200 ($135 GC) next -- leaning towards 3x$200 since an extra $45 potential is worth the risk of getting stuck with an extra $200 card

Buying $1000-1200 is pushing it for me in terms of cash flow so I'm not going to risk buying anymore after that since the rebate isn't guaranteed at the higher amount

pprogram said:   awaiting your results to see if 10x $200 is a possibility. If the limit is 10 cards I do not quite see how you can reach the $450 SPLS GC level. You would need $300 denominations.

Eails received; all ~six~ rebates are being processed at $30 gc each. I feel that the sixth will eventually be nixed. I'm just happy I was able to "flip" the first five cards immediately.

What is SPLS level?

FatRick said:   pprogram said:   awaiting your results to see if 10x $200 is a possibility. If the limit is 10 cards I do not quite see how you can reach the $450 SPLS GC level. You would need $300 denominations.

Eails received; all ~six~ rebates are being processed at $30 gc each. I feel that the sixth will eventually be nixed. I'm just happy I was able to "flip" the first five cards immediately.

What is SPLS level?

So you did 6 separate transactions of 1 x $200 Visa GC and now you have 6 separate rebates being verified each in the amount of $30 correct? So technically you can do 4 more under your name/address since limit is 10.

(sorry, didn't realize thread was 3 pages long. Didn't mean to bring up already-answered topic).

FatRick said:   pprogram said:   awaiting your results to see if 10x $200 is a possibility. If the limit is 10 cards I do not quite see how you can reach the $450 SPLS GC level. You would need $300 denominations.

What is SPLS level?

SPLS is the stock symbol for the store. The $450 GC level was in reference to an earlier post stating that the limit was $450 which may have been in jest.

For those of you who live in Southern California and are looking for a way to use your MasterCards and Visas you got, here is one idea:
(other safeway family stores may have this same deal but I am not positive)

Beginning 11/14 through 11/21 –the Gift card deals are back at Vons! This offer is a little different than most but I think it is still a decent deal if you plan on purchasing the gift cards.

Participating Gift Cards:

Amazon.com, Bath & Body Works, DSW, Lowes, iTunes, Sears, Toys “R” Us, Regal Entertainment Group, Applebee’s, AMC Theatres, jcp, Macy’s, Nike, Nordstrom, Nordstrom Rack, Sephora, SpaFinder, Groupon.com, American Eagle Outfitters, Bass Pro Shops, Buffalo Wild Wings, Brinker International, Cheesecake Factory, Kohl’s, Michael’s, PETsMART, Olive Garden, Red Lobster, Staples

You will receive a $25 catalina coupon good on your next $50 or More purchase (it isn’t too bad if you shop at Vons often) also, I *THINK* the 4X Gas points will continue through next week (although, there is no specified end date anywhere–so I am not 100% sure)

If you do not like this promo, Albertsons may have one coming up for the holidays as well! They usually do a $100 gift card with a $20 catalina back… but again, there is no guarantee that this will happen.

pprogram said:   ...SPLS is the stock symbol for the store. The $450 GC level was in reference to an earlier post stating that the limit was $450 which may have been in jest.Actually, if this system is really screwed up one could get $1,350 in rebates less fees. That would involve 10 3x$200 transactions if each transaction is what is being counted towards the 10 limit. $6,000 in gift cards and $210 in fees.

mrtrance said:   So you did 6 separate transactions of 1 x $200 Visa GC and now you have 6 separate rebates being verified each in the amount of $30 correct? So technically you can do 4 more under your name/address since limit is 10.

I'm not so sure about that ... I might take that chance, but will be happy with $150 in gc's.

MrVietnam said:   You will receive a $25 catalina coupon good on your next $50 or More purchase (it isn’t too bad if you shop at Vons often) also, I *THINK* the 4X Gas points will continue through next week (although, there is no specified end date anywhere–so I am not 100% sure)Dang. Good deal. They have a deal this week for a $10 coupon on your next purchase when purchasing a $100 MasterCard. That promo runs until 12/1/12. This is better if those are gift cards you can use. Gas Rewards 4X promotions usually run for 3 months. That is what some cashier told me during the last 4X promo. You can call Von's and ask as well. What is the spend on the gcs to get the $25 catalina?

Anyone try getting 10 $200 cards?

Thank for reminding me about the $10 coupon for a $100 MC purchase at a safeway store.

Here in TX, Randall's, a safeway store, is offering 4x Gas Reward promos through Dec 15 according to my call to the 800 number. So buy 10 $100 MC for 1059.50 get 10 $10 Catalinas (expiration date a factor) get 4000 Gas Reward points (100 points = .10 gas savings) or $4/gal limited to $2 per redemption at the pump. Then use them to buy $1000 SPLS GC and get 4X Gas Rewards again, now $8/gal or $2 for four fill-ups. Based on my almost empty 19 gallon fill that equals $152 in fuel savings between now and Dec 31. The $59.50 MC activation charge is offset by the $100 in $10 Catalinas + my measly 2% grocery Cash Back (100 +20 - 59.50)so that is $60.50 + $152 = 212.50 benefit before I get to SPLS to buy the MC/V.

Thanks OP! I really wanted to stay away from this deal thinking it would be too much work/hassle. Just when I thought I was out, FW pulls me back in! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh A little God Father reference.

Anyhoo, the math comes out to the following:

I bought 5 $200 Visa GCs.

$200*5 + $6.95*5 = $1034.75 - $1000(GC value) - $30(Cash Back on Chase Ink, I only get 3 points at office supply stores/gas stations/etc.) = $4.75 (out of pocket expense)

IF all goes well like others have been reporting, I'll get a $150 Staples GC - $4.75 = $145.25 MM(in gift card, but FWers have clever ways to cash it out buying FAR items)

I asked the cashier before purchase if I can pay with credit card and she confirmed. Manager came to approve the transaction. All in all, it was smooth!

PS: I'm really tempted to do the RA deal. Now, that would be really stretching your dollar.

pprogram said:   Thank for reminding me about the $10 coupon for a $100 MC purchase at a safeway store.

Here in TX, Randall's, a safeway store, is offering 4x Gas Reward promos through Dec 15 according to my call to the 800 number. So buy 10 $100 MC for 1059.50 get 10 $10 Catalinas (expiration date a factor) get 4000 Gas Reward points (100 points = .10 gas savings) or $4/gal limited to $2 per redemption at the pump. Then use them to buy $1000 SPLS GC and get 4X Gas Rewards again, now $8/gal or $2 for four fill-ups. Based on my almost empty 19 gallon fill that equals $152 in fuel savings between now and Dec 31. The $59.50 MC activation charge is offset by the $100 in $10 Catalinas + my measly 2% grocery Cash Back (100 +20 - 59.50)so that is $60.50 + $152 = 212.50 benefit before I get to SPLS to buy the MC/V.
Just be aware you can only get one $10 coupon per day. I bought 2 $100 cards in 2 separate transactions on the same day and only got one $10 coupon. If you have 2 safeway Rewards accounts you can get 2 from what I understand. Or more if you have multiple Rewards accounts. This was at a Von's(safeway).

mathfaster said:   pprogram said:   Thank for reminding me about the $10 coupon for a $100 MC purchase at a safeway store.

Just be aware you can only get one $10 coupon per day. I bought 2 $100 cards in 2 separate transactions on the same day and only got one $10 coupon. If you have 2 safeway Rewards accounts you can get 2 from what I understand. Or more if you have multiple Rewards accounts. This was at a Von's(safeway).

So they are tying it to the reward card? Thanks for the heads up. Less attractive but manageable. What is the expiration of the $10 coupon?

pprogram said:   ...So they are tying it to the reward card? Thanks for the heads up. Less attractive but manageable. What is the expiration of the $10 coupon?AFAIK they are tying it to the rewards card but I don't think you need to be a Rewards member to get coupon. So, maybe do not use it? I think the coupon expired on 11/24 when I got it on 11/10. So 2 weeks to use.

mathfaster said:   pprogram said:   ...So they are tying it to the reward card? Thanks for the heads up. Less attractive but manageable. What is the expiration of the $10 coupon?AFAIK they are tying it to the rewards card but I don't think you need to be a Rewards member to get coupon. So, maybe do not use it? I think the coupon expired on 11/24 when I got it on 11/10. So 2 weeks to use.

I will lose the 4x Gas Rewards if I do not use the reward card.

pprogram said:   mathfaster said:   pprogram said:   ...So they are tying it to the reward card? Thanks for the heads up. Less attractive but manageable. What is the expiration of the $10 coupon?AFAIK they are tying it to the rewards card but I don't think you need to be a Rewards member to get coupon. So, maybe do not use it? I think the coupon expired on 11/24 when I got it on 11/10. So 2 weeks to use.

I will lose the 4x Gas Rewards if I do not use the reward card.
But you do not get gas rewards on MC/Visa/AMEX gift cards. I did not on 11/10.

You are correct so the $100 MC is just to pay for the gas to get there. My earlier calculations are cut in half

Eligible purchases exclude Beer, Wine, Tobacco, US Postage Stamps, Gas Purchases and Services, Lottery Tickets, Gift Certificates, Metro Passes or Tokens, Money Orders, Event Tickets, Remarkable Card Savings, Randalls Store Coupons, Sales Tax and Selected Gift Cards (American Express, PayPower, MasterCard, My Choice, Randalls, Visa, Only 1 Visa, NetSpend and RE-loadit cards).

I got email that they are processing my rebate but doesnt state the amount anywhere .. i bought 5x 200 in the same transaction.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014