• 12 3 4516
  • Page
  • Text Only
i didn't see this listed earlier in the thread pardon if it has been mentioned earleir.

the last time Staples did this, the struggle was that Staples ran out of the cards. as the cards have no value, and are technicaly the property of the 3rd party provider, in my mind you could stock your own cards. (if you were to take the unactivated cards from Lowes, or rite aid, or your local grocery store (after Staples runs out) as long as it was the correct upc this should work.

yes, a little down the slippery slope, but not different than taking a stack of coupons.

imho.

wads

Wads said:    if you were to take the unactivated cards from Lowes, or rite aid, or your local grocery store (after Staples runs out) as long as it was the correct upc this should work.

Have fun explaining that to the cashier and/or police officer..

respdoc said:   Wads said:    if you were to take the unactivated cards from Lowes, or rite aid, or your local grocery store (after Staples runs out) as long as it was the correct upc this should work.

not quite the same thing but I have done that-- with store manager's approval. I wanted Rite Aid gift cards and my store was out of them. SM told me to ask another store for the unloaded "blanks". Other store gave them to me. I brought them back to "my" store where they were activated. (Don't need to get into details but I needed to activate at a "my" store.)

When I purchase using credit card, does that get treated as cash advance purchase?

easyRebate offer number 12-28680

Valid : 11-11-2012 through 11-24-2012

Bought my 10 gc today as 5 then one then 4. There were reports last time about cards not being available immediately so I went w/ Visa for my first set. Then bought one MC using the VC to see if it was activated. It was so I bought the remainder using the VC gc to buy MC gc. No particular reason for one over the other but it made it easier to keep track of things at the register. Paid the activation fees using the Staples gc earned w/ the previous MC gc promo. Manager approval required for transactions > $500 so not only did the one work as a "test" but it meant we didn't need a manager. Now I just have to wait for BF at Rite Aid.

Im in for this one! And my Debit card gives me Cash Back! woohoo!

Also Just a thought for those of us charitably inclined or needing a deduction before the end of the year, there are some locals charities where I am that accept gift cards as donations.
I am thinking about doing this actually, get my Staples GC and then donate the prepaid cards.

my4mainecoons said:   

Hi Random PrepaidCard Person

Got a question. You have some cards marked with higher values (i.e. you wrote $8.99 when the card face value only says $8)....how is that possible ?

rebate was for $8.99 but they put $8 on the card.

If I buy 10 x $100 gift cards in a single transaction, then do I get 10 x $15 in Staples gift cards? Or would it have to be 10 separate transactions?

The rebate states:
"Get a $15 Staples Gift Card on Purchase of $100 or more on Visa and Mastercard Gift Cards at Staples Stores Only"

The wording implies that if I buy 10 x $100 in one single receipt, it would be "$100 or more" and therefore be eligible only for a single rebate.

techy said:   When I purchase using credit card, does that get treated as cash advance purchase?

just for you, yes, for others no.

my4mainecoons said:   rebate was for $8.99 but they put $8 on the card.

I'm still a little confused, Random PrepaidCard Person. So do you use that system to follow-up with the rebate company ? (and do they correct it ?)...or is it just some kind of scoreboard.

respdoc said:   my4mainecoons said:   rebate was for $8.99 but they put $8 on the card.

I'm still a little confused, Claudia and/or Diane. So do you use that system to follow-up with the rebate company ? (and do they correct it ?)...or is it just some kind of scoreboard.

The letter that came w/ the card said there was $8.99 on it but they only printed $8 on the face. If I weren't using it all at once I wouldn't remember that there was $8.99 on it. Card scanned for $8.99.

Make sure your store that you bought the GC is eligible for easy rebate. I clicked the OP`s link, it says it is easy rebate but when I changed it to my local store it changes "by mail" not easy rebate. So, I hate paper work stuff and I might think not to buy GCs. If I am wrong, please correct me.

MrVietnam said:   mathfaster said:   Limit 10 on the Mastercard/visa rebate per name/address/household. Offer good through 11/24.

Good news! A lot of free money to be earned here. Now here's hoping they restocked from last month when they did this before and many of the Staples were wiped out of their $100 MasterCards. I plan on buying a new bed at Christmastime so this will work out fine for me as I have a big ticket item purchase coming up. I can just as easily pay for it using $100 MasterCards as I could with using a regular credit card. This deal may be hard for some who don't have a big cash flow of available money each month to work with.

The thing that concerns me is that most gold master/visa cards give an extended warranty, up to 2 or 3 years on purchases.

If you make a large purchase with several $100 prepaid master cards, would an extended warranty apply?

Hope your money making things work out.

hpm.

TheHimalayas said:   If I buy 10 x $100 gift cards in a single transaction, then do I get 10 x $15 in Staples gift cards? Or would it have to be 10 separate transactions?

The rebate states:
"Get a $15 Staples Gift Card on Purchase of $100 or more on Visa and Mastercard Gift Cards at Staples Stores Only"

The wording implies that if I buy 10 x $100 in one single receipt, it would be "$100 or more" and therefore be eligible only for a single rebate.

I too am a bit concerned about this, anybody double verify this?
Thanks!

respdoc said:   Wads said:    if you were to take the unactivated cards from Lowes, or rite aid, or your local grocery store (after Staples runs out) as long as it was the correct upc this should work.

Can one be arrested or charged with a crime for taking something that has "no cash value...until activated...?"

Seems like it would be equivalent to taking a wad of napkins or plastic forks from the fast food franchise.

rfkandysf said:   Make sure your store that you bought the GC is eligible for easy rebate. I clicked the OP`s link, it says it is easy rebate but when I changed it to my local store it changes "by mail" not easy rebate. So, I hate paper work stuff and I might think not to buy GCs. If I am wrong, please correct me.

these are all by easy rebate. you always have the option of mailing in a rebate as well since not everyone has a computer or wants to do it online for whatever reason.

hpmaster said:   respdoc said:   Wads said:    if you were to take the unactivated cards from Lowes, or rite aid, or your local grocery store (after Staples runs out) as long as it was the correct upc this should work.

Can one be arrested or charged with a crime for taking something that has "no cash value...until activated...?"

Seems like it would be equivalent to taking a wad of napkins or plastic forks from the fast food franchise.

Didn't say anything about being arrested...but if they see you start stuffing bunches of these cards in your pants/purse, etc...I'm thinking it would raise some flags.

Guess if you want to try this "method"...I would suggest getting a managers approval first.

by the way, for those asking about using rewards on these,

I tried today to pay for PART of the order with rewards, but they simply would not deduct, so the answer is indeed no on that.

HOWEVER! Staples gift cards/cash cards DID work if you have any lying around (both towards the fee and the $100)

respdoc said:   hpmaster said:   respdoc said:   Wads said:    if you were to take the unactivated cards from Lowes, or rite aid, or your local grocery store (after Staples runs out) as long as it was the correct upc this should work.

Didn't say anything about being arrested...but if they see you start stuffing bunches of these cards in your pants/purse, etc...I'm thinking it would raise some flags.

Guess if you want to try this "method"...I would suggest getting a managers approval first.

last go round, it was just MasterCards, my store had more Visas on the shelf even than MC's so hopefully, since both are included this go round, you'll be ok with supply.

Also, as far as the idea of getting them elsewhere, you might be better off at a Supermarket than Lowes, just include them with your grocery order, tell the cashier you just want the unactivated cards for future use as you through the line or ask the customer service people.

Staples registers dont allow coupons to be applied when buying gift cards in store, which is what rewards are

hpmaster said:   respdoc said:   Wads said:    if you were to take the unactivated cards from Lowes, or rite aid, or your local grocery store (after Staples runs out) as long as it was the correct upc this should work.

Artwork technically has no cash value and many have been arrested and jailed for years for just "taking it". Plus despite popular belief there is a retailer "cost" associated with stocking prepaid cards and the these type of gift cards do have a value printed on them so yes you can be arrested for stealing them. The fact they are activated or inactivated makes no difference under US law. As long as they have a value printed on them then you will be prosecuted for the full face value regardless if they were ever activated. There are numerous case precedents for people getting jail time for this type of theft. Another example is stealing scratch off lottery tickets which technically have no cash value yet it is a crime to steal them.

alanmax said:   TheHimalayas said:   If I buy 10 x $100 gift cards in a single transaction, then do I get 10 x $15 in Staples gift cards? Or would it have to be 10 separate transactions?

The rebate states:

Thanks!

To me this is a no brainer question. Of course these MasterCard gift cards do not carry any of the frills of regular MasterCards. First of all to get those extended warranties the entire purchase must be put on the MasterCard. You couldn't split it up into several gift cards and second of all, I am almost positive that these gift cards do not offer extended warranty or any of the other benefits of using a regular MasterCard credit card (but I admit I haven't called their customer service and asked).

cnIsfg said:    There are numerous case precedents for people getting jail time for this type of theft.

Thanks for the clarification. Since MC suggested another method to get these cards...can we charge him as an accomplice ? (please)

MrVietnam said:   alanmax said:   TheHimalayas said:   If I buy 10 x $100 gift cards in a single transaction, then do I get 10 x $15 in Staples gift cards? Or would it have to be 10 separate transactions?

The rebate states:

Thanks!

To me this is a no brainer question. Of course these MasterCard gift cards do not carry any of the frills of regular MasterCards. First of all to get those extended warranties the entire purchase must be put on the MasterCard. You couldn't split it up into several gift cards and second of all, I am almost positive that these gift cards do not offer extended warranty or any of the other benefits of using a regular MasterCard credit card (but I admit I haven't called their customer service and asked).

Sorry Mr V but this was pertaining to all in one trans or sep.?
Thanks.

alanmax said:   MrVietnam said:   alanmax said:   TheHimalayas said:   If I buy 10 x $100 gift cards in a single transaction, then do I get 10 x $15 in Staples gift cards? Or would it have to be 10 separate transactions?

The rebate states:

Thanks!

Sorry Mr V but this was pertaining to all in one trans or sep.?
Thanks.

My answer was pertaining to buying a big ticket purchase and using several of the $100 MasterCard gift cards to pay for it.

As for buying something with one MasterCard gift card and getting the extended warranty, I am not really sure but I tend to doubt these MasterCards have that benefit on them.

EDIT: I just called the MasterCard gift card customer service line and when i tried to talk to a live representative to confirm my hunches I got a recording that said due to unforseen circumstances they cannot answer my call at this time and for me to call back later.

alanmax said:   TheHimalayas said:   If I buy 10 x $100 gift cards in a single transaction, then do I get 10 x $15 in Staples gift cards? Or would it have to be 10 separate transactions?

The rebate states:

Thanks!

Alan,

if it doesn't fly, I think the fact the you bought "seperate" $100 gc's 5 whether all at once or in 10 seperate transactions, should still get the same rebate. I have the feeling, it's a programming issue right now, since the last time this was run, people did buy multiples on one receipt and get the multiple rebates.

Staples will have a lot of unhappy people complaining if they don't fix it if it's indeed an error. I can understand not getting a $30er on ONE $200 card, but two seperate $100 cards, whether purchased in 2 orders or 1 order, should get them. It's only common sense to me. We'll have to see how it plays out.

respdoc said:   cnIsfg said:    There are numerous case precedents for people getting jail time for this type of theft.

Thanks for the clarification. Since MC suggested another method to get these cards...can we charge him as an accomplice ? (please)

In my supermarket example, I said with either the cashier's or customer service desk's blessing. I didn't say stuff 10 in your pocket and walk out the front door. Just add them to a grocery order and tell the cashier you will get them validated/paid for at another time. say you forgot they are cash only and forgot to get the cash or whatever.

MISTERCHEAP said:   alanmax said:   TheHimalayas said:   If I buy 10 x $100 gift cards in a single transaction, then do I get 10 x $15 in Staples gift cards? Or would it have to be 10 separate transactions?

The rebate states:

Thanks!

Alan,

if it doesn't fly, I think the fact the you bought "seperate" $100 gc's 5 whether all at once or in 10 seperate transactions, should still get the same rebate. I have the feeling, it's a programming issue right now, since the last time this was run, people did buy multiples on one receipt and get the multiple rebates.

Staples will have a lot of unhappy people complaining if they don't fix it if it's indeed an error. I can understand not getting a $30er on ONE $200 card, but two seperate $100 cards, whether purchased in 2 orders or 1 order, should get them. It's only common sense to me. We'll have to see how it plays out.

I am sure Staples would make it right, even if you had to call the Office of the President. I say this because just last month you could buy more than one gift card in the same transaction and get multiple rebates, so why should things change? (I know they can and do but that is the line of attack you could use if you needed to complain about not getting multiple rebates in one transaction)

MISTERCHEAP said:   say you forgot they are cash only and forgot to get the cash or whatever.

So add deception and pre-meditation to your crime. You're going away for a long time, buddy..

radiation said:   metsfan said:   radiation said:   My store has the visa version in a $200 card with $6.95 fee. I Wonder if buying this would get a $30 Staples card.

It did not on the previous round last month.

Last month was mastercard only

and i never saw a $200 MC.

The rebate states:

Thanks!
If you are the least bit concerned, why not just buy them all in separate transactions? No one should be forcing you to do them in the same order.

Just returned from Staples run. Got my favorite cashier and tried to buy 5x cards with cc, but (apparently because it's over $500) had to get some kind of approval. She called the crotchety old lady that was on the floor, who balked at me using cc for purchase. I whined a little, they called out the MOD, who approved. The issue, says the MOD is that some people buy with cc, spend the prepaid card, then dispute the cc charge. I am a regular customer, and he knows me well... so he agreed to allow. Not sure if that was one time, or if I can hit them up again in a few days for another 5x. However, since the "policy" is "cash or debit card," and these prepaids are debit cards... I will just use them to buy the next 5 if they balk again on a cc purchase.

So can you buy 1, then use that to pay for the next one (adding $5.95 on a separate card for the activation) and so on and so on? That way you only end up with a single $100 card to get rid of.

hpmaster said:   MrVietnam said:   mathfaster said:   Limit 10 on the Mastercard/visa rebate per name/address/household. Offer good through 11/24.

Good news! A lot of free money to be earned here. Now here's hoping they restocked from last month when they did this before and many of the Staples were wiped out of their $100 MasterCards. I plan on buying a new bed at Christmastime so this will work out fine for me as I have a big ticket item purchase coming up. I can just as easily pay for it using $100 MasterCards as I could with using a regular credit card. This deal may be hard for some who don't have a big cash flow of available money each month to work with.

The thing that concerns me is that most gold master/visa cards give an extended warranty, up to 2 or 3 years on purchases.

If you make a large purchase with several $100 prepaid master cards, would an extended warranty apply?

Hope your money making things work out.

hpm.

Yes, thatís the part of these GC deals that never make any financial sense and what most here who participate in these prepaid card deals fail to consider. Plus some here act like you are getting an easy a 15% return with no effort which is not even remotely true. Basically at best with this single deal you are getting 2-5% return not including your time plus a LOT of work and lot of risk managing the cards and then cashing them out.
For example of a $100 prepaid Visa/MasterCard card you are paying $5.95 upfront to activate it which immediately reduces your return to just over 9%. Virtually no credit card pays rewards on the purchases of prepaid cards so when you factor in the lost credit card rewards you are forfeiting that you would normally receive with your credit card on these purchases you now have make using the prepaid card to use and that easily deducts another 1-10% depending on your cardís rewards. For me it is 5% I get back on 90% of what I buy plus the intangible benefits such extended warranties. Theft and loss protection, price protection, etc.. Any good credit card provides all these benefits. In addition when you get back the $15 GCs you then have to cash it out at 100% to even maintain that measly 2-4% return. Those are additional purchases you could be earning credit card rewards on. Granted cashing out GCs at Staples is easy but it still involves time and effort. If you calculate all the time and effort to end up with cash from these deals you can easily make 2-3 times as much simply working a minimum wage jobs . Unless you are unemployed or working for less than minimum wage these deals basically make no sense.. I like hot deals as must as the next FWer but sometimes having basic common sense is a better deal .

labboypro said:   Just returned from Staples run. Got my favorite cashier and tried to buy 5x cards with cc, but (apparently because it's over $500) had to get some kind of approval. She called the crotchety old lady that was on the floor, who balked at me using cc for purchase. I whined a little, they called out the MOD, who approved. The issue, says the MOD is that some people buy with cc, spend the prepaid card, then dispute the cc charge. I am a regular customer, and he knows me well... so he agreed to allow. Not sure if that was one time, or if I can hit them up again in a few days for another 5x. However, since the "policy" is "cash or debit card," and these prepaids are debit cards... I will just use them to buy the next 5 if they balk again on a cc purchase.I guess the answer it to buy no more than 4 at a time. They probably require the manager to make sure you've being offered an extended warranty on such a large purchase .

hpmaster said:   Can one be arrested or charged with a crime for taking something that has "no cash value...until activated...?"

Of course it's a crime. Taking a wad of napkins or plastic forks is also theft unless the owner of those napkins gives you permission (either explicit or implicit, as in "if you buy my hamburgers and fries, you can use a reasonable quantity of my supplies to consume the food."). Taking flowers out of my garden is also a crime unless I tell you that it's OK to do. Taking anything that isn't already yours without permission from the person who does own rights to it is also a crime. What's strange is that this has to be explained at all.

billrubin said:   So can you buy 1, then use that to pay for the next one (adding $5.95 on a separate card for the activation) and so on and so on? That way you only end up with a single $100 card to get rid of.

I didn't ask for clarification from the MOD while I was checking out, but ASSuming their policy of "cash or debit card only," then I don't see why this wouldn't work. The prepaid packaging reads "Use it anywhere Debit Mastercards are accepted." So Mastercard thinks these are debit cards. I'm definitely going to give it a shot IF I get rejected on my second round of cc-based purchases (I prefer cc for the CB, of course, and have a way to use up the prepaids easily, so I'm not sitting on the money for very long).

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014