• 123 4 516
  • Page
  • Text Only
respdoc said:   MISTERCHEAP said:   say you forgot they are cash only and forgot to get the cash or whatever.

So add deception and pre-meditation to your crime. You're going away for a long time, buddy..

oh come on respdoc, what crime? if they say "fine" at the grocery store and you actually buy the Visa/Mc's at Staples, no matter how you pay for them, you've commited no crime. Changing your mind or even "lying" isn't a crime in this situation. If you've stuffed them in your pants and never asked permission, that's another story.

Just bought one, using CC no problem at all.

billrubin said:   So can you buy 1, then use that to pay for the next one (adding $5.95 on a separate card for the activation) and so on and so on? That way you only end up with a single $100 card to get rid of.

If you go this route, I recommend you pay the $5.95 with another debit card FIRST, so the $100 balance fits onto the previously purchased prepaid. If you try to run the $105.95 against the $100 prepaid, there's no telling how long the card balance will be hung up while the failed transaction clears up.

billrubin said:   So can you buy 1, then use that to pay for the next one (adding $5.95 on a separate card for the activation) and so on and so on? That way you only end up with a single $100 card to get rid of.

The manager at my local Staples would not allow me to do that. They said you can't use a gift card to pay for a gift card.

billrubin said:    I guess the answer it to buy no more than 4 at a time. They probably require the manager to make sure you've being offered an extended warranty on such a large purchase .

I just bought 10 (5 $100 MasterCards and 5 $100 Visas) in one transaction. The total came to $1,059.50. It required a manager's authorization, but the sale went through fine. It also earned me 3,179 Hilton Hhonors points (I charged it on my American Express Hilton Hhonors card).

Hey All!!

Just got this email, hopefully a good sign, Still not showing what the rebate value is on the rebate site (ie, $60 gift card)

Good news! We've started processing your rebate(s) for:

$100 VISA
$100 VISA
$100 VISA
$100 VISA
$100 VISA

Now you can track the status here:
http://www.stapleseasyrebates.com/staples/Search.do?claimNumber

went there and they didn't have it mentioned in their circular. they had the deal but only for a $10 gift card to Staples. they would not take a credit card so I said forget it.

Thanks MR C and MR V.
I was a little nervous but what you wrote makes perfect sense.
I just got back from Staples, purchased 10 $100 MCs. Would not let me use a $1000 AMEX GC but they eventually approved an AMEX CC. Made the mistake of not breaking it up and going over $1000, etc... Figured they could split the purchase...
I also recc breaking it up like 4 at most per transaction so you don't need mgr. approval which is indeed anything over $500.

So after 12 months these cards have a monthly $2.00 inactivity fee if not used. When does that 12 months start, today? So would the inactivity charge be charged on 11/11/2013, or would it be charged at the end of November? Just wondering as I plan to use them long before I get docked for fees.

By the way....

keep some Master Card GC's in your stockpile....

last year there was a Master Card Mom's promo to get a $20 MC Holiday gift card for mom if you had a Master Card.

The $100 GC's were working for this promotion!! Got a couple of those just for having a gift card # to enter.

I don't remember the specific details, but I do remember it was a holiday promotion around late Nov/to mid Dec.

Someone on SD is reporting that buying 5 $200 cards got him a $150 rebate!

His post:

*yawn*

5x$200, posted as $150 rebate

If it is true, it will earn him an extra $24.75 in Staples gift card funds as compared to those of us who bought 10 $100 cards.

MrVietnam said:   It is looking like omeone on SD is reporting that buying 5 $200 cards got him a $150 rebate!

His post:

*yawn*

well, since mine isn't even showing the amount yet, I find that hard to believe that he'd know it's $150.

just visited store.... purchased 1 $100 gift card on 3 seperate credit cards with no issues... did 2 on the 4th credit card

I looked at the last rebate form, says quantity purchased 2 but quantity eligible for rebate: 1

so beware this appears risky..... i will use single credit purchases to avoid losing $5.95 each time until it is confirmed through rebates that they give per $100....

camar0 said:   just visited store.... purchased 1 $100 gift card on 3 seperate credit cards with no issues... did 2 on the 4th credit card

I looked at the last rebate form, says quantity purchased 2 but quantity eligible for rebate: 1

same here, bought 5 on one receipt two times (paid for the 2nd 5 with the first 5), but my first rebate update email shows the FIVE $100 visa cards, if I was only getting one rebate, it would likely just show one, so I'm optimistic I'll get paid out ok.

yes you could get one at a time but I recommend doing that in several trips or when the store isn't busy (and you have a friendly cashier). As I posted earlier, $500+ requires manager approval. If you want to fly low, buy in separate transactions of no more than 4 at a time. I purchased in 3 transactions and have emails:

$100 VISA
$100 VISA
$100 VISA
$100 VISA
$100 VISA

$100 MASTERCARD

$100 MASTERCARD
$100 MASTERCARD
$100 MASTERCARD
$100 MASTERCARD

$150 coming in Staples gc - $59.50 in activation fees paid w/ Staples gc = $90.50 MMAR. Staples gc have no expiration date so now we just wait for FAR stuff to cash them out.

MISTERCHEAP said:   MrVietnam said:   It is looking like omeone on SD is reporting that buying 5 $200 cards got him a $150 rebate!

His post:

*yawn*

well, since mine isn't even showing the amount yet, I find that hard to believe that he'd know it's $150.

I'm disappointed in you MISTERCHEAP.

my4mainecoons said:   billrubin said:   So can you buy 1, then use that to pay for the next one (adding $5.95 on a separate card for the activation) and so on and so on? That way you only end up with a single $100 card to get rid of.
yes you could get one at a time but I recommend doing that in several trips or when the store isn't busy (and you have a friendly cashier). As I posted earlier, $500+ requires manager approval. If you want to fly low, buy in separate transactions of no more than 4 at a time. I purchased in 3 transactions and have emails:

$100 VISA
$100 VISA
$100 VISA
$100 VISA
$100 VISA

$100 MASTERCARD

$100 MASTERCARD
$100 MASTERCARD
$100 MASTERCARD
$100 MASTERCARD

$150 coming in Staples gc - $59.50 in activation fees paid w/ Staples gc = $90.50 MMAR. Staples gc have no expiration date so now we just wait for FAR stuff to cash them out.

since you won't get them until 2 or 3rd week in December, my personal inclination is to hold onto the GC until January so I can start using them towards my 2013 Premier spend. Since some credit cards have earning bonuses on them until 12/31, I'd rather max those out than pay with the GC's before 12/31. I had some small amounts on 2 gc's (under $20) laying around, so I used those up today, but put the bulk on credit cards.

compfreak9999 said:   MISTERCHEAP said:   MrVietnam said:   It is looking like omeone on SD is reporting that buying 5 $200 cards got him a $150 rebate!

His post:

*yawn*

why? until it's confirmed, I never count my chickens prior to hatchment. I think whoever posted that on SD jumped the gun. Still too early to know if a $200 GC yields a $30 GC from what I can tell.

MISTERCHEAP said:   compfreak9999 said:   MISTERCHEAP said:   MrVietnam said:   It is looking like omeone on SD is reporting that buying 5 $200 cards got him a $150 rebate!

His post:

*yawn*

why? until it's confirmed, I never count my chickens prior to hatchment. I think whoever posted that on SD jumped the gun. Still too early to know if a $200 GC yields a $30 GC from what I can tell.

I posted that. Rebate page says $150.

AND you very well know I'm NOT a Staples n00b

compfreak9999 said:   MISTERCHEAP said:   compfreak9999 said:   MISTERCHEAP said:   MrVietnam said:   It is looking like omeone on SD is reporting that buying 5 $200 cards got him a $150 rebate!

His post:

*yawn*

I posted that. Rebate page says $150

can you post a screen shot with personal info blocked out? I'd be very happy if that were the case, as I said, my rebate status isn't showing the amount yet and I bought at 1030am et.

Silverthunder said:   went there and they didn't have it mentioned in their circular. they had the deal but only for a $10 gift card to Staples. they would not take a credit card so I said forget it.

think it might have actually been my credit card company declining the transaction. Not sure, but they called me thinking it was a fraudulent charge so maybe they blocked it?

Rebate 1:
Rebate Offer: 12-28680
Get a $15 Staples Gift Card on Purchase of $100 or more on Visa and Mastercard Gift Cards at Staples Stores Only
Products Purchased:

$200 VISA GIFT
$200 VISA GIFT
$200 VISA GIFT
$200 VISA GIFT
$200 VISA GIFT

Validation in progress. * Staples Gift Card for $150.00

Not going to bother with screenshot, but this is what it says. The only thing that's weird is my receipt says I qualify for five, which isn't true. Now if someone was daring, they would try 10 $200 gift cards. That's the only thing I'd doubt.

i am going to wait before buying in multiples again to make sure i dont lose more money..... as for the store, there is no signs for the $15 giftcard, even the cashier was like WTF when it printed the rebate forms, haha

Silverthunder said:   Silverthunder said:   went there and they didn't have it mentioned in their circular. they had the deal but only for a $10 gift card to Staples. they would not take a credit card so I said forget it.

think it might have actually been my credit card company declining the transaction. Not sure, but they called me thinking it was a fraudulent charge so maybe they blocked it?

if you try to do multiple trans. in a row, all for the same exact amount, so CC companies will deny the subsequent transactions since they consider that "suspicous activity" and do call thinking your card was compromised.

compfreak9999 said:   Rebate 1:
Get a $15 Staples Gift Card on Purchase of $100 or more on Visa and Mastercard Gift Cards at Staples Stores Only
Products Purchased:

$200 VISA GIFT
$200 VISA GIFT
$200 VISA GIFT
$200 VISA GIFT
$200 VISA GIFT

Not going to bother with screenshot, but this is what it says. The only thing that's weird is my receipt says I qualify for five, which isn't true. Now if someone was daring, they would try 10 $200 gift cards. That's the only thing I'd doubt.

OK compfreak, thanks. the activation on these is $6.95, correct? so $115.25mm vs $90.50 with the $100 denoms.

I just bought one $200 visa to try it out, but I guess I shoulda gotten 5. I realized after I bought it that it really doesn't matter to me. Even if the $200 ones only get $15, I get 5x UR points on my chase ink bold. So the $200 cards cost $1 more but I get an additional 505 points for my one dollar. Those are worth at least $5.05.

MISTERCHEAP said:   compfreak9999 said:   Rebate 1:
Products Purchased:

$200 VISA GIFT
$200 VISA GIFT
$200 VISA GIFT
$200 VISA GIFT
$200 VISA GIFT

OK compfreak, thanks. the activation on these is $6.95, correct? so $115.25mm vs $90.50 with the $100 denoms.

Yes, it's $1 more. Hence making the $100 vs $200 argument irrelevant. The IB Vanilla folks should be all over this.

You can only buy 10 max per adddress/household to get the rebate. So don't do it multiple times.

MISTERCHEAP said:   

since you won't get them until 2 or 3rd week in December, my personal inclination is to hold onto the GC until January so I can start using them towards my 2013 Premier spend. Since some credit cards have earning bonuses on them until 12/31, I'd rather max those out than pay with the GC's before 12/31. I had some small amounts on 2 gc's (under $20) laying around, so I used those up today, but put the bulk on credit cards.

thanks for the suggestion!
I have ~ $200 in Rewards I need to cash out first anyway.
Nice thing about the Staples gc is that they can be used for HP ink/recycling bonus deals.

compfreak-- thanks for trying this. Folks who bought $200's made a little more $$ this time around but they also took the risk of only getting $15 per $200.

Mr.C-- my rebate status shows "validation in progress" and the dollar amt of the gift cards. Since I bought 5-1-4 the rebate statii (?) shows $75, $15, $60

my4mainecoons said:   MISTERCHEAP said:   

Nice thing about the Staples gc is that they can be used for HP ink/recycling bonus deals.

compfreak-- thanks for trying this. Folks who bought $200's made a little more $$ this time around but they also took the risk of only getting $15 per $200.

Mr.C-- my rebate status shows "validation in progress" and the dollar amt of the gift cards. Since I bought 5-1-4 the rebate statii (?) shows $75, $15, $60

Your risk is $1, not $15.

my4mainecoons said:   MISTERCHEAP said:   

yes, mine updated now too, showing $75 for both, so compfreak was correct.

This offer is great , but I almost always buy nothing at Staples.
what would be the use of the Staples gift card?

oradbatic said:   This offer is great , but I almost always buy nothing at Staples.
Buy Free After Rebate(FAR) software when you get your Staples gift cards and monetize them.

SCORE!!!! THANKS OP!

Silverthunder said:   Silverthunder said:   went there and they didn't have it mentioned in their circular. they had the deal but only for a $10 gift card to Staples. they would not take a credit card so I said forget it.

Got the deal. Nice!

On the rewards website, my confirmation shows

Rebate 1: Get a $15 Staples Gift Card on Purchase
of $100 or more on Visa and Mastercard Gift Cards

Did I submit that right (and will get all 10 of the gift cards? Just not sure if I am supposed to have 10 rebates showing on my confirmation.

Purchased 5x $100...

$100 MASTERCARD
$100 MASTERCARD
$100 MASTERCARD
$100 MASTERCARD
$100 MASTERCARD

my4mainecoons said:   billrubin said:   So can you buy 1, then use that to pay for the next one (adding $5.95 on a separate card for the activation) and so on and so on? That way you only end up with a single $100 card to get rid of.

$100 VISA
$100 VISA
$100 VISA
$100 VISA
$100 VISA

$100 MASTERCARD

$100 MASTERCARD
$100 MASTERCARD
$100 MASTERCARD
$100 MASTERCARD

Can we pay for the MC/Visa GCs with Staples GC? I see you mentioned paying the fees with Staples GC, I'm curious about the rest.

dukerau said:   my4mainecoons said:   billrubin said:   So can you buy 1, then use that to pay for the next one (adding $5.95 on a separate card for the activation) and so on and so on? That way you only end up with a single $100 card to get rid of.

$100 VISA
$100 VISA
$100 VISA
$100 VISA
$100 VISA

$100 MASTERCARD

$100 MASTERCARD
$100 MASTERCARD
$100 MASTERCARD
$100 MASTERCARD

Can we pay for the MC/Visa GCs with Staples GC? I see you mentioned paying the fees with Staples GC, I'm curious about the rest.

already answered by me in the thread, ans. is yes, gc's work, rewards do not.

Silverthunder said:   Silverthunder said:   Silverthunder said:   went there and they didn't have it mentioned in their circular. they had the deal but only for a $10 gift card to Staples. they would not take a credit card so I said forget it.

Got the deal. Nice!

On the rewards website, my confirmation shows

Rebate 1: Get a $15 Staples Gift Card on Purchase
of $100 or more on Visa and Mastercard Gift Cards

Did I submit that right (and will get all 10 of the gift cards? Just not sure if I am supposed to have 10 rebates showing on my confirmation.

if you bought all 10 on one receipt, you will receive ONE $150 Gift Card, not 10/$15 ones. When you rebate updates, you will get an email which shows all ten visa/mc's listed and the validation website will show $150 Staples GC as your payout.

oradbatic said:   This offer is great , but I almost always buy nothing at Staples.

cash them out on free after rebate and/or free after rewards items. You don't use batteries or paper towels, or toilet paper or printer ink or pens? There's always some good deal that comes along on something (either far items or just stuff you actually use).

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.