• 14 5 67816
  • Page
  • Text Only
MISTERCHEAP said:   already answered by me in the thread, ans. is yes, gc's work, rewards do not.

And we can't use rewards to buy GC's, correct?

FatRick said:   MISTERCHEAP said:   already answered by me in the thread, ans. is yes, gc's work, rewards do not.

And we can't use rewards to buy GC's, correct?

same difference, gift card or visa/mc.

Are folks able to apply for the rebate electronically? When I did a search, only the paper option was available.

all gone in east bay .. 5 or 6 visa cards left on the rack at 1 Staples but have been tampered with did not want to take any risk

MrVietnam said:   So after 12 months these cards have a monthly $2.00 inactivity fee if not used. When does that 12 months start, today? So would the inactivity charge be charged on 11/11/2013, or would it be charged at the end of November? Just wondering as I plan to use them long before I get docked for fees.

I check some of my Visa GC from last year's OMX promo and they have a "no fees after purchase/no expiration of funds" statement with a 5/2019 date to roll to a new card if funds still available. The MC's I bought have the $2 fee after 12 months of consecutive dormancy clause.

Reminder to those who bought MC GC from OMX last year (my receipts are dated 11/26/11) to make a purchase or start paying monthly fees.

phatwalletguy said:   all gone in east bay .. 5 or 6 visa cards left on the rack at 1 Staples but have been tampered with did not want to take any risk

How could you possibly have visited all Staples stores in the East Bay? I assume you're talking about the San Francisco Bay Area.

compfreak9999 said:   ...
Yes, it's $1 more. Hence making the $100 vs $200 argument irrelevant. The IB Vanilla folks should be all over this.
"...IB Vanilla..."?? WTF? 'Irritable Bowel' sufferers that consume a lot of vanilla??
And why would 100 vs 200 be irrelevant even so? $1 more, but $5 less overall (1 $6 activation fee instead of 2 $5, or whatever they are... haven't done it yet.)

Danzilla said:   compfreak9999 said:   ...
Yes, it's $1 more. Hence making the $100 vs $200 argument irrelevant. The IB Vanilla folks should be all over this.
"...IB Vanilla..."?? WTF? 'Irritable Bowel' sufferers that consume a lot of vanilla??
And why would 100 vs 200 be irrelevant even so? $1 more, but $5 less overall (1 $6 activation fee instead of 2 $5, or whatever they are... haven't done it yet.)

The argument of taking the risk buying $200 vs. $100 cards, assuming it was even a risk (which I've proven it isn't).

cnIsfg said:   Virtually no credit card pays rewards on the purchases of prepaid cards so when you factor in the lost credit card rewards you are forfeiting that you would normally receive with your credit card on these purchases you now have make using the prepaid card to use and that easily deducts another 1-10% depending on your cardís rewards. For me it is 5% I get back on 90% of what I buy plus the intangible benefits such extended warranties. Theft and loss protection, price protection, etc.. Any good credit card provides all these benefits. Your CC transaction is not for prepaid cards, it is for a purchase at Staplez. Thus, you don't lose the CC rewards when buying the prepaid cards with a rewards CC, unless your CC rewards are greatly reduced at Staplez vs. your everyday purchases. If you don't buy the prepaid cards, you get 0% CB.

If you buy the prepaid cards, you get X% rewards on the purchase and 0 on the redemption. End result = no loss of CC rewards.

P.S. I personally have never used any CC extra warranty, price protection, etc. benefits; obviously YMMV.

c3 said:   phatwalletguy said:   all gone in east bay .. 5 or 6 visa cards left on the rack at 1 Staples but have been tampered with did not want to take any risk

How could you possibly have visited all Staples stores in the East Bay? I assume you're talking about the San Francisco Bay Area.

3 stores in east bay , all gone but dont take my word for it

compfreak9999 said:   Danzilla said:   compfreak9999 said:   ...

The argument of taking the risk buying $200 vs. $100 cards, assuming it was even a risk (which I've proven it isn't).

If you read the print it says " get$15 on purchase of MC/Visa of $100 or more". I backed out of the $200 since as per the wordings that would mean $15...whether the card is $100 or $200.

StinkPot said:   compfreak9999 said:   Danzilla said:   compfreak9999 said:   ...

If you read the print it says " get$15 on purchase of MC/Visa of $100 or more". I backed out of the $200 since as per the wordings that would mean $15...whether the card is $100 or $200.

I agree, so I didn't take the chance today. However, others are reporting it works (buy one $200 GC, get $30 gc), so they were nice enough to stick their necks out and risk the extra $1 activation fee.

So if you have another family member at another address who's interested in the deal, you can do it for them.

phatwalletguy said:   3 stores in east bay , all gone but dont take my word for it

I guess my definition of East Bay includes a much broader area with many more Staples stores. Anyway, I already got my cards in the South Bay.

Any reason to NOT mix card denominations? Like I wanted to try 1 200 and 3 100 cards in a first purchase...?

EDIT: added a 'NOT'... meant any reason NOT to mix cards...

Danzilla said:   Any reason to to mix card denominations? Like I wanted to try 1 200 and 3 100 cards in a first purchase...?

not really. if you want to maximize your "profit" on these, the $200's are the way to go.

if you have 2 in household and both of you buy 10 each with different cards, one of you will STILL NOT GET the rebates becos the rule is PER HOUSEHOLD ADDRESS.

so be very careful not to waste $60 in fee for gift cards and get nothing back.

MISTERCHEAP said:   Danzilla said:   Any reason to to mix card denominations? Like I wanted to try 1 200 and 3 100 cards in a first purchase...?

not really. if you want to maximize your "profit" on these, the $200's are the way to go.
thanks, but I mistyped/spoke ... meant any reason to NOT mix denominations. I was willing to try a $200, but didn't was to take the chance with all of them, in case they only end up being good for a single $15 GC after all.

sherap2 said:   if you have 2 in household and both of you buy 10 each with different cards, one of you will STILL NOT GET the rebates becos the rule is PER HOUSEHOLD ADDRESS.

that is the rule with every Staples rebate, nothing new there.

Danzilla said:   MISTERCHEAP said:   Danzilla said:   Any reason to to mix card denominations? Like I wanted to try 1 200 and 3 100 cards in a first purchase...?

thanks, but I mistyped/spoke ... meant any reason to NOT mix denominations. I was willing to try a $200, but didn't was to take the chance with all of them, in case they only end up being good for a single $15 GC after all.
More fees with $100. Other than that more accounts to manage if you register them. One is US Bank and the other is MetaBank.

MISTERCHEAP said:   sherap2 said:   if you have 2 in household and both of you buy 10 each with different cards, one of you will STILL NOT GET the rebates becos the rule is PER HOUSEHOLD ADDRESS.

That's the rule with most ANY rebate, not just Staples. Limit is by address usually.

Danzilla said:   MISTERCHEAP said:   sherap2 said:   if you have 2 in household and both of you buy 10 each with different cards, one of you will STILL NOT GET the rebates becos the rule is PER HOUSEHOLD ADDRESS.

That's the rule with most ANY rebate, not just Staples. Limit is by address usually.

yes, every now and then we do see "per person" in the rules, but it's rare. Too bad it's not a seperate rebate # for MC AND VISA, as in the SKU type rebates.

just bought 5 $200 visa's in Carmel Mountain San Diego. rebate processed for $150 gift card, $5.95 fee each. Didn't see any $200 mastercards, but they had lots of denominations of Visa and MC

ok verified from Staples rebate email, i got $30 for 2 $100 gift cards... so now tomorrow ill add more on single receipt

kirku said:   just bought 5 $200 visa's in Carmel Mountain San Diego. rebate processed for $150 gift card, $5.95 fee each. Didn't see any $200 mastercards, but they had lots of denominations of Visa and MCIsn't the fee $6.95 on $200? Mine were.

Danzilla said:   MISTERCHEAP said:   sherap2 said:   if you have 2 in household and both of you buy 10 each with different cards, one of you will STILL NOT GET the rebates becos the rule is PER HOUSEHOLD ADDRESS.

yeah, my wife and i visited Staples store and i bought 10 but spent some time learning about the rebate rules and I realized that buying 10 by my wife would be a waste of $60. so She didn't do it cos we live in same household.

Math! Yes, $6.95. Oops!

Deals like this make me want to get a mail box at ups or MBE

MISTERCHEAP said:   Silverthunder said:   Silverthunder said:   went there and they didn't have it mentioned in their circular. they had the deal but only for a $10 gift card to Staples. they would not take a credit card so I said forget it.

think it might have actually been my credit card company declining the transaction. Not sure, but they called me thinking it was a fraudulent charge so maybe they blocked it?

if you try to do multiple trans. in a row, all for the same exact amount, so CC companies will deny the subsequent transactions since they consider that "suspicous activity" and do call thinking your card was compromised.

Or that it's simply a human error--rerunning a transaction they thought failed.

sherap2 said:   yeah, my wife and i visited Staples store and i bought 10 but spent some time learning about the rebate rules and I realized that buying 10 by my wife would be a waste of $60. so She didn't do it cos we live in same household.
You can use a relative, or a work address, if that helps.

Went to a store I don't usually visit late this afternoon and they had no $100 cards. Will try my local store in the AM.

MrVietnam said:   Someone on SD is reporting that buying 5 $200 cards got him a $150 rebate!

His post:

*yawn*

5x$200, posted as $150 rebate

If it is true, it will earn him an extra $24.75 in Staples gift card funds as compared to those of us who bought 10 $100 cards.
Wow! The store I went to had $200's but I didn't know about this. Those should be much easier to find since I'm sure that most people are looking for the $100's. Will check my local store tomorrow.

billrubin said:   MrVietnam said:   Someone on SD is reporting that buying 5 $200 cards got him a $150 rebate!

His post:

*yawn*

If it is true, it will earn him an extra $24.75 in Staples gift card funds as compared to those of us who bought 10 $100 cards.
Wow! The store I went to had $200's but I didn't know about this. Those should be much easier to find since I'm sure that most people are looking for the $100's. Will check my local store tomorrow.
Can also confirm that $200 cards will yield $30 in Staples gift cards. Plenty of posts on SD to that affect as well. Including screen shots.

mathfaster said:   billrubin said:   MrVietnam said:   Someone on SD is reporting that buying 5 $200 cards got him a $150 rebate!

His post:

*yawn*

Can also confirm that $200 cards will yield $30 in Staples gift cards. Plenty of posts on SD to that affect as well. Including screen shots.

I can also confirm this. Bought 5x $200 cards earlier today and my rebate is showing $150 rebate.

mathfaster said:   Can also confirm that $200 cards will yield $30 in Staples gift cards. Plenty of posts on SD to that affect as well. Including screen shots.Very nice. I didn't do this deal the last time. Is this how it worked then?

billrubin said:   mathfaster said:   Can also confirm that $200 cards will yield $30 in Staples gift cards. Plenty of posts on SD to that affect as well. Including screen shots.Very nice. I didn't do this deal the last time. Is this how it worked then?

AFAIK, last time it was only valid on Mastercard GC, and there are no $200 Mastercard GC available at Staples.

billrubin said:   mathfaster said:   Can also confirm that $200 cards will yield $30 in Staples gift cards. Plenty of posts on SD to that affect as well. Including screen shots.Very nice. I didn't do this deal the last time. Is this how it worked then?I didn't do it last time but for the last promo no one that I know of could find a $200 MasterCard in the stores. Or most could not. 2 $50 cards did yield the $10 gift card which is why I was not totally surprised that the $200 Visa gift card yields 2x$15 in rebates per card. It is interesting that the rebate system does math of a sort to calculate the rebates.

dvdjunkee said:   mathfaster said:   billrubin said:   MrVietnam said:   Someone on SD is reporting that buying 5 $200 cards got him a $150 rebate!

His post:

*yawn*

I can also confirm this. Bought 5x $200 cards earlier today and my rebate is showing $150 rebate.

could be true but showing means nothing yet, it takes at least 4 weeks to process and they can fix and give you only $75 in rebate

could be true but showing means nothing yet, it takes at least 4 weeks to process and they can fix and give you only $75 in rebate

2 weeks for validation, 4-5 weeks to receive at your door normally

It sounds like buying $200 is much profitable than $100.

I bought one $100 today, since the limit is 10 Staples rebate per address, should I get 4 more $200 & 1 more $100 to get the $150 Staples GC? I am confused now.

sherap2 said:   could be true but showing means nothing yet, it takes at least 4 weeks to process and they can fix and give you only $75 in rebate

Can you name a single case when a Staples Easy Rebate showed "Validation in progress..." for an amount and then didn't get validated for that amount? The only case I can think of was some pens earlier this year or last year where there was confusion over what "one per SKU" meant, and in the end they fixed that correctly for everyone who didn't return them. If it has the $150 up there, that's what you're going to get.

woomanhei said:   It sounds like buying $200 is much profitable than $100.

I bought one $100 today, since the limit is 10 Staples rebate per address, should I get 4 more $200 & 1 more $100 to get the $150 Staples GC? I am confused now.
Yes you should. $11.90 in fees for 2x$100 or $6.95 for $200. $30 in rebates either way.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.