• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

ps3 (166.43kB)
Disclaimer
Save over $115, with the ultimate PlayStation3 value bundle. Includes a 250GB PS3 system, DUALSHOCK3 Wireless Controller, the UNCHARTED™ Greatest Hits Dual Pack and the inFAMOUS Collection.

link here link
black friday advertisement effective 11/22 - 11/24

LIVE

Best Buy
See Best Buy coupons that earn 1.5% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
    • Manufacturer › Sony
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Good deal!

PS3 can play 3d Blu-ray ?

So I don't need to purchase 3d Blu-ray player?

gaore said:   Good deal!

PS3 can play 3d Blu-ray ?

So I don't need to purchase 3d Blu-ray player?

yes. i use it as a blue player.

Great deal - I got one last year at $199 - games are much better this year!

I believe Target has the same offer starting Thursday night at 9 pm.

Those are old games though.

Any body find any deals on the now old slim PS3 that include warranty? I read CNETs review of the super slim and based on my entertainment cabinet I'd like to get on with the slot loader. 10 watts power saving isn't that big a deal to me.
Hoping that some old stock might go on sale but from what I've seen the price of the old unit is going up.

That is a good deal. The ps3 works well as a blueray player.

Not to slam the gaming world but ain't the life cycle of gaming systems funny anymore?

We get new phones at MOST, annually and looks like that might even be shortening up as time marches on. Yet gaming systems are pushing 5 years or more??

Anywho, I have a wii but we've had it so long the kids are ready for more grown up games so I might bite on this. My only concern is......when is the PS4 coming? January?

redgtxdi said:   Not to slam the gaming world but ain't the life cycle of gaming systems funny anymore?

We get new phones at MOST, annually and looks like that might even be shortening up as time marches on. Yet gaming systems are pushing 5 years or more??

Anywho, I have a wii but we've had it so long the kids are ready for more grown up games so I might bite on this. My only concern is......when is the PS4 coming? January?

Lol. I don't even know how to respond to this.

-Your new phone every year has about, on average, a 6-9% performance increase over last year's model. Congratulations on getting sucked into a 2 year contract for, at best, 15% increase. Now, there's an occasional model that will exceed standards(next-gen), and that's fine and well, probably happens every 4-5 years.

-No contract? Your minimal increase in performance will set you back $450-600 every year. Congrats on that purchase decision.

-Your phone every year will not really be "next-gen", more like "slightly faster same-gen".

-PS4, most likely, will be out around November of 2013.

-$199 for a PS3 is an amazing deal, because really you are getting: 4 games, a streaming media player, a blu-ray player and an all around diverse machine. Your Galaxy S3/iPhone 5 may be amazing in their own right, but they won't do nearly as much.

That's just some of it, weigh out the investment versus the practical application: If you don't watch HD or Blu-ray movies, don't use streaming services such as Netflix for home entertainment, don't care for HD, current capacity video games and feel your phone is offering you enough entertainment via Angry Birds, FB status updates and playing with the new NCF tech that about 1 in 350 stores currently accept.... then, by all means stick with upgrading the phones every year.

Edit: 5 games, Dust 514, which is amazing in it's own right, PS3 exclusive, and full KB/Mouse capability on a console, as an FPS. Speaking of.. yeah.. PS3 has full KB/Mouse support for surfing the net and such as well. I am considering picking this up just to replace mine as it is somewhat worn down and starting to show it's age of 6 years and much use.

How many are they going to have? Probably 2 for the first 2 idiots that camp out a week before. At least that's how they do it in my state...lol.

ebbikenezer said:   redgtxdi said:   Not to slam the gaming world but ain't the life cycle of gaming systems funny anymore?

Lol. I don't even know how to respond to this.

-Your new phone every year has about, on average, a 6-9% performance increase over last year's model. Congratulations on getting sucked into a 2 year contract for, at best, 15% increase. Now, there's an occasional model that will exceed standards(next-gen), and that's fine and well, probably happens every 4-5 years.

-No contract? Your minimal increase in performance will set you back $450-600 every year. Congrats on that purchase decision.

-Your phone every year will not really be "next-gen", more like "slightly faster same-gen".

-PS4, most likely, will be out around November of 2013.

-$199 for a PS3 is an amazing deal, because really you are getting: 4 games, a streaming media player, a blu-ray player and an all around diverse machine. Your Galaxy S3/iPhone 5 may be amazing in their own right, but they won't do nearly as much.

That's just some of it, weigh out the investment versus the practical application: If you don't watch HD or Blu-ray movies, don't use streaming services such as Netflix for home entertainment, don't care for HD, current capacity video games and feel your phone is offering you enough entertainment via Angry Birds, FB status updates and playing with the new NCF tech that about 1 in 350 stores currently accept.... then, by all means stick with upgrading the phones every year.

Edit: 5 games, Dust 514, which is amazing in it's own right, PS3 exclusive, and full KB/Mouse capability on a console, as an FPS. Speaking of.. yeah.. PS3 has full KB/Mouse support for surfing the net and such as well. I am considering picking this up just to replace mine as it is somewhat worn down and starting to show it's age of 6 years and much use.

i agree 120%.

on top of all it does, the PS3 is still one of,if not the best BLu-ray players out there.

BestBuy, Target, WalMart (Says 160GB?), Radio Shack ($220, but $40 in coupons) all have it as well.
Of note, Toys R Us also has it for $199, plus a free Air Flo Controller.

Personally, I'm waiting for GameStop's offering because I've got $50 in gift cards.

redgtxdi said:   Not to slam the gaming world but ain't the life cycle of gaming systems funny anymore?

I've actually had the same thoughts as well on this - the answer is simply that no company has ever tried to do this as a model for gaming consoles. With consoles, the thinking seems to be that every one that's released almost has to be from "scratch" and completely different than the previous. What's wrong with a PS4 in November, 2013, and then a PS5 the following year with better specs? It doesn't have to be a completely new language for developers - just simply a faster CPU, graphics engine, maybe more memory, etc, and of course would be backwards compatible. And then every 4-5 years, have a completely new one built from the ground up.

I do find it strange that even when new "models" of the same system are released over the years (take all the different PS3 models), the only difference is really size. They don't get any faster, or the graphics any better (ie smoother). And when thinking that a console is simply a souped-up PC - it's always been odd to me that it takes so long to get an new/upgraded model. It's probably just a matter of time before one of the console makers does this and takes a lesson from Apple. Imagine MS's surprise when the PS4 and Xbox 720 go at it, probably pretty even in specs and performance, and then a year later Sony announces a PS5 15-20% improved. MS would crap themselves knowing that their next console isn't for another 5-7 years, and vice versa. But obviously it's a huge risk that consumers would dish out another $500 or whatever for a new console every year. But hey, they do it for phones in even less than a year.

Eryeal said:   redgtxdi said:   Not to slam the gaming world but ain't the life cycle of gaming systems funny anymore?

I've actually had the same thoughts as well on this - the answer is simply that no company has ever tried to do this as a model for gaming consoles. With consoles, the thinking seems to be that every one that's released almost has to be from "scratch" and completely different than the previous. What's wrong with a PS4 in November, 2013, and then a PS5 the following year with better specs? It doesn't have to be a completely new language for developers - just simply a faster CPU, graphics engine, maybe more memory, etc, and of course would be backwards compatible. And then every 4-5 years, have a completely new one built from the ground up.

I do find it strange that even when new "models" of the same system are released over the years (take all the different PS3 models), the only difference is really size. They don't get any faster, or the graphics any better (ie smoother). And when thinking that a console is simply a souped-up PC - it's always been odd to me that it takes so long to get an new/upgraded model. It's probably just a matter of time before one of the console makers does this and takes a lesson from Apple. Imagine MS's surprise when the PS4 and Xbox 720 go at it, probably pretty even in specs and performance, and then a year later Sony announces a PS5 15-20% improved. MS would crap themselves knowing that their next console isn't for another 5-7 years, and vice versa. But obviously it's a huge risk that consumers would dish out another $500 or whatever for a new console every year. But hey, they do it for phones in even less than a year.

We have a Wii since it came out, and now kids are 10+ with one almost out of HS. I play mostly PC games, but have been considering upgrading to something like this (PS3). However, there is one problem with the upgrade comment above you are missing. Sure, it would be great if they did incremental upgrades to these systems every year to 18 months. One BIG problem you are missing. Unless developers of console games changed to how many PC game makers allow you to change your performance settings in the game, you would have situations where users could not play games that were designed whatever the latest, greatest console is.

The games included don't really interest me, Im thinking about going with the Toy R' US deal and trying to return the $35 controller and the $30 included game for about $65 in store credit which I'll use to buy Borderlands 2.

Think they'll give me the store credit with no problems? Anyone have experience with their returning policy?

Trying to see which offer I will go with too. Don't really care about the bundled games, I guess my biggest concern will be which is the easiest to get. Ideally an offer which I can order from the internet and not have to go to the store to wait in line, but do not think any of these stores offer it at the $200 price and not a doorbuster? Any thoughts here?

Second choice would be the store that opens the most reasonable time, as I am visiting and meeting my gf's family this thanksgiving, and getting up from the dinner table to run get a PS3 would not be an ideal start with them.... It would be cheaper to pay extra and get a PS3 full price rather than the money I will spend to 'make-up' with her....

Other random thoughts:

Wanted to get one last year but held back, not needing it right away and half-expecting PS4. This year I am looking for one as I need a device that can handle Netflix and Amazon Prime HD wirelessly anyways (my one core Revo chokes on HD, and a new Roku would be around $60 by itself), and I half revived my old PS2 for guitar hero/rockband with my gf and friends (most of which I have gotten for $3 from GameStop). Even if the PS4 came out in December (which it will not), not in the mood where I am ready to pay $60 to get a newly released game anymore...

Would not mind getting a used one from Craigslist if in right condition and has the right bundled controller, but everyone local in NYC seems to be mad asking for $190 for 3 year old consoles that come with nothing extra, when Black Friday is less than 2 weeks away and between the offers from multiple store, I am assuming you can get a brand new one rather simply for $200 (+tax).

Agreed completely with ksideris. Maybe it's not the pure FW BF spirit, but I'm looking for cheap AND easy. Does that exist?

I don't think these bundles are loss leaders in most senses of the term, despite being promoted as door busters in some cases. Some retailers (like Rat Shack) may enhance their offers with additional items or store promotional coupons, but the standard $200 bundle is going to be available from a number of sources.

If you have a Sony (Style) store (or Microsoft store if you want an Xbox) in your area, they'll likely have them as well. The mall locations where such stores are found will still be crowded, but probably less frenzied and cutthroat.

PS3 is fine as a non-3D Blu-Ray player, but IMO, inadequate when using 3D. It still can't output Dolby TrueHD over HDMI when playing 3D. It downgrades it to Dolby Digital 5.1. They upgraded the firmware to support DTS HD; just won't do it with TrueHD, which is pretty much the soundtrack for every blu ray movie.

Fyi, this is live now.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014