Voting History
rated:
Use promo code EMCYTZT2517

Sceptre 40" Class (38.5" Diag.) 1080p 60Hz LCD HDTV X408BV-FHD

1920 x 1080 1080i/p, 720p, 480i/p
ATSC/NTSC/QAM Tuner
3 In HDMI

Link

No tax plus shipped to your home may beat a cheaper price and standing in line on BF for you.

Newegg
See Newegg discounts that earn 1.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

Sceptre 40" LCD HDTV (20.02kB)
Thanks Wemic
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:

I purchased this TV a few months back when it was on special for $289. This purchase was not for my home theater room but rather and up stairs den. The picture quality is surprisingly very good. I used a wall mount for this area so the "flimsy stand" that is gets a few knocks for was not an issue for me at all. The sound quality from the TV speakers is very very tinny and poor. We are talking AM radio poor. This TV does have and 1/8 inch out stereo plug. I simply plugged in an inexpensive PC speaker set with a small Sub and for this room it did the trick. Again, this isn't my Home Theater setup but for and extra room it was an inexpensive way to put a 40" unit in there and not break the bank. I use it with HD cable and my WD TV Live network stream. This TV DOES NOT have an onboard nic.

Just my impressions and opinions...hope it helps.

Yes, I would buy it again.

I think I got mine the same time as Brico and agree. Though we're using the stand it came with, I think it's fine. I'm a strident non-audiophile, but this tv may be the first time I've ever noticed poor quality sound. It really is striking. Ours is set up with a built in speaker system, so it's not an issue. I'm not sure even my cheapness and low standards would have tolerated the built in sound.

The picture is excellent, and its OTA tuner is actually the best of any device we've used. It picks up an extra PBS station that we had given up on.

Glad to see prices this low. Good find OP.

Deleted.

I have the X405BV-FHD. Like some have said the sound wasn't great. So after making some adjustments to the sound settings its much better. Here are the settings I used.

Sound User (Turn off TrueSurroundXT and Equalizer. Adjust tremble and bass to max.) Using TV speakers.

All of these 'budget' brands require you to ship the set to the service center at significant trouble/expense/time loss. Most of the 'upper tier' brands usually have in-home warranty service starting above 32. Buying an extended warranty doesn't help, as they don't kick in until after the manufacturers. Does anyone know any 'budget' brands that have in-home warranty?

LeonS said:   Does anyone know any 'budget' brands that have in-home warranty?
Vizio?

Nice find. My mother asked me buy a TV for our parlour last week. Now,buy here with a low price.

VirtuaL said:   LeonS said:   Does anyone know any 'budget' brands that have in-home warranty?
Vizio?

Unfortunately not. From the Vizio site: Defective Products must be sent to a VIZIO service center to obtain warranty service. VIZIO is not responsible for transportation costs to the service center, but VIZIO will cover return shipping to the customer.

Does anyone have experience with WalMart's TV extended warranties?

It sure sounds like they pay for the shipping...

"WalMart Product Care Plans

A limited product warranty is included free for most items. With an optional WalMart Care Plan you can extend coverage up to 3 additional years. WalMart Care Plan Extended Warranties cover 100% of the cost for repair or replacement, including shipping charges for the exchange."

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/walmartWarrantyDetails.do?item_id...

Yes, they pay for shipping. BUT, not until the manufacturers warranty is over!

thanks OP. i got one for my mom to replace her 27" tube tv that just started to go on the blink, literally. the picture tube sometime lights up and sometimes doesn't.

This may be just what I need to replace a 27" tube TV.

I have this with $20 Logitech speakers - my floors shake now _ The picture quality isn't bad - some of the best $289 I've ever spent. I have a 32" one as well that I really liked and I've owned that for 2 years now without issues.

LeonS said:   VirtuaL said:   LeonS said:   Does anyone know any 'budget' brands that have in-home warranty?
Vizio?

Unfortunately not. From the Vizio site: Defective Products must be sent to a VIZIO service center to obtain warranty service. VIZIO is not responsible for transportation costs to the service center, but VIZIO will cover return shipping to the customer.

Hmm. A friend of mine bought a Vizio last year, and they sent someone out to his house to replace the motherboard, because it had gone bad soon after he had purchased it. I'm sad to hear that this level of service isn't the case any more.

rshaslam said:   This may be just what I need to replace a 27" tube TV.

Welcome to the 21st Century!

coupon expired...

$279.99 FS right now as a Black November deal.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014