Nexus 4 $299/$349 @ Google play **LIVE NOW**

Archived From: Expired Deals
  • Text Only
hanma said:   

Windows Phone, no thanks.....

Second that.

Does anyone know if a Straight Talk plan would work with my att microcell device if I swtich from att to Straight Talk? The microcell amplifies the signal, correct? And att and Straight Talk use the same signal?

You can use a Google Voice number to set it up.

pianoCM said:   Schmungy said:   imatechie said:   Following is a math explanation for why this phone + a prepaid plan is really a FWF way for latest phones + service.

$349 + (Northern VA) tax 5% = $367.5 (I don't know how much the shipping is)
Str@ight T@lk unlimited everything -- $45*24 = $1080
For 24 months, total is 1447.5

Iphone 5 199 + 5% = $210
Voice $40; Text $20; Data (300 MB) $20. $80/month.
For 24 months, total is $2130.

For comparison, I have used the minimum possible in AT&T to be able to buy an iphone 5.

Feel free to point out if I have got mistakes above.

You don't have to commit to text if you are texting other iPhone users or use whatsapp etc.

So you could be within $300. And that iPhone after 2 years will fetch you minimum $200 resale.

About the Whatsapp, why on earth it REQUIRES us (or in my case, me) to have a text message plan before able to complete the setup?
What happens if I don't have it? Can't setup?

hanma said:   ashukg said:   Nokia Lumia at 450 with LTE and much better camera and screen sounds like a better deal to me.

I don't want to start a debate here. But do use it before you say so. At least on camera front it blows everything else.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/26/lumia-920-low-light-shootout/

skadoo323 said:   You can use a Google Voice number to set it up.
pianoCM said:   
About the Whatsapp, why on earth it REQUIRES us (or in my case, me) to have a text message plan before able to complete the setup?
What happens if I don't have it? Can't setup?

I've already set it up since I do have sms plan from AT&T, just weird to see the app actually asks for that.
Thanks skadoo

The monthly Straight Talk goes to less than $45/mo if you buy 3+ months at a time.

imatechie said:   Following is a math explanation for why this phone + a prepaid plan is really a FWF way for latest phones + service.

Iphone 5 199 + 5% = $210

For comparison, I have used the minimum possible in AT&T to be able to buy an iphone 5.

WilliamG said:   Plus there's really nothing like an iPhone... I adore my iPhone 5. Yep, seen the numbers. Yep, know it's cheaper to go with something else. Yep, don't care.

Actually there is something else like the iPhone 5. The iPhone 3, iPhone 4, iPhone 4s, ....

But they did add a row of icons for you. "Mind blown".

I have the Galaxy Nexus (unlocked international version) and LOVE it. Will buy this for my kid when it comes out. I think I paid about $375 for mine a year ago and don't regret it a for a second. It has zero bloatware on it and upgrades (albeit a bit delayed) to all the latest Android versions over-the-air on T-Mobile. I get HPSA speeds of 12M down.

looking to get this phone...get a 99cent micro sim from T-Mobile and opt for the $30/month 100 minute, unlimited everything else plan...and go back to using sipdroid/google voice for the 2500 minutes in my trunk. seems like a better way to go for for the increased speed considering that on VM you can't be grandfather at the $25 plan if you switch to a newer generation phone, especially one with "4g"

Your calculation for iphone should also include Straight Talk.
I paid full price for a iphone 4S ($649 + Taxes) and use it will ST ($45 plan).
Only difference between iphone 5 and Nexus 4 is 350 dollars + taxes over any time period.
Google subsidies the phone by using your data to place ads on the Google services you use.
I think many people underestimate the capabilities of a software to predict your behavior using your search, email (gmail), documents (google docs), gps, spending (google wallet).
I like gmail and google search but I would not like to use all services from one provider.

Cheers,

Ris

jochoki said:   looking to get this phone...get a 99cent micro sim from T-Mobile and opt for the $30/month 100 minute, unlimited everything else plan...and go back to using sipdroid/google voice for the 2500 minutes in my trunk. seems like a better way to go for for the increased speed considering that on VM you can't be grandfather at the $25 plan if you switch to a newer generation phone, especially one with "4g"

Great idea. I will look into T-Mo prepaid plans. FYI, micro-sim won't work with Nexus 4.

EDIT: I realize that the nexus 4 have micro-sim. Thanks for pointing it out.

imatechie said:   FYI, micro-sim won't work with Nexus 4Eh? Nexus 4 takes micro-sim only: http://goo.gl/IcwjZ

imatechie said:   
Great idea. I will look into T-Mo prepaid plans. FYI, micro-sim won't work with Nexus 4

are you sure it's not a micro-sim? some of the old posts on the internet seemed to have indicated that the nexus 4 would be using a micro-sim. that would suck, since I preemptively bought the sim for 99 cent...but oh wells, I can live with a $1.06 loss. :/

as for sites indicating that it used a micro-sim:
reference 1
reference 2
reference 3

abscess said:   jochoki said:   FYI, micro-sim won't work with Nexus 4Eh? Nexus 4 takes micro-sim only: http://goo.gl/IcwjZ
O_o I feel misquoted. :p

abscess said:   jochoki said:   FYI, micro-sim won't work with Nexus 4Eh? Nexus 4 takes micro-sim only: http://goo.gl/IcwjZ

Thanks abscess, from the link it seems we have a micro-sim slot.

jochoki said:   abscess said:   jochoki said:   FYI, micro-sim won't work with Nexus 4Eh? Nexus 4 takes micro-sim only: http://goo.gl/IcwjZ
O_o I feel misquoted. :p
ack fixed my b

I'm in on this one, although not without swallowing my pride.

I've a T-Mobile LG G2X and it still has no official ICS. Phone is still buggy just running stock Gingerbread. While there are custom ROMs, they all have compromises.

LG is horrible at software updates on all their phones, but since Google will be handling that, presumably this phone will be solid for 1-2 years.

I get 5-8Mb/s down on HSPA 14.4; so I expect to get double that easily with HSPA 42+.

As long as one uses the phone in strong T-Mobile areas, downloads will roughly match even Verizon LTE.

This phone allows one to move among ATT and T-Mobile MVNOs for those looking for the best deals at any given time.

I use to switch back and forth from T-Mobile and att when they use to offer 1 year contracts (I've dated myself)...but since they made the shift to requiring 2 year contracts, I went down the path of prepaid and have been on my lg optimus v for a while...considering the optimus v lasted very well, I feel a little bit more confidant that lg isn't too bad a brand. back in the days lg didn't have the best track record for battery life and heating issues...or was that samsung? both of have come a long way now. :p

WilliamG said:   Plus there's really nothing like an iPhone... I adore my iPhone 5. Yep, seen the numbers. Yep, know it's cheaper to go with something else. Yep, don't care.

This guy is going to break all time RED record!!

+1 Vote for Solavei MVNO. An international calling package is coming. They keep dribbling out features and there is a free SIM/month offer going on. The 4 gig soft cap at 4G speeds is IMHO worth the few extra dollars.

I got my wife signed up during the last free round.

Are there any good cash-back opportunities?

Is it confirmed midnight PST? That's weird. Guess Mountain View wins this round.

imatechie said:   Following is a math explanation for why this phone + a prepaid plan is really a FWF way for latest phones + service.

Iphone 5 199 + 5% = $210

The tax on the iPhone would be on the full retail price of $599 and not $199. I'm not sure if that is a Massachusetts only law though.

esoterica said:   f2000sa said:   HSPA+ No 4G LTE. Why???

Because it's an unlocked world phone and currently there are currently 40+ different combinations of LTE bands worldwide, and no LTE chipset supports them all. Also, LTE chipsets are far more expensive, and this phone almost certainly wouldn't be able to be offered at this price point unsubsidized if it had LTE.

Actually, the reason I've heard is that no carriers are onboard with it, and carriers will not allow a non-carrier-certified LTE phone on their networks if they aren't iPhone 5s. There are also a ridiculous number of patents on LTE, and google probably didn't want to deal with all that mess for what essentially is a google vanity phone.

That said, how fast do you reallly need your data? hspa+ is plenty fast enough.

eh...all you have to do is cut the regular sim to make it work .. eh

Any idea which model (8GB or 16GB) will be shipping first and/or available more? What is the likely division of demand between the two? I might score a couple extra to flea-bay them.

E_Bay bidding is already well past $400 on the 16GB model. Good times!

foghorn19 said:   E_Bay bidding is already well past $400 on the 16GB model. Good times!
Shakes head. Let's assume they level off at $400. The seller will still lose since the Play store charges tax and shipping. $349 quickly approaches $400, then there's e8ay fees, etc, negating any profit.

But of course the prices will probably approach $600, which is very sad indeed. I'm going to sit the flipping madness out this time and just get one for a backup to my Note 2. It's too time consuming and risky to buy a ton to flip, IMO.

darkfallz said:   eh...all you have to do is cut the regular sim to make it work .. eh

how to cut? instore or DIY ?

zhoujian said:   darkfallz said:   eh...all you have to do is cut the regular sim to make it work .. eh

how to cut? instore or DIY ?

Cnet link how to make your own micro-sim from regular sim card.

hanma said:   ashukg said:   Nokia Lumia at 450 with LTE and much better camera and screen sounds like a better deal to me.

Just found out Windows phone has default search engine with Bings which sucks, havn't figure out how to change it and maybe no such option.

Similar thread in SD has over 2000 posts. I hope I can order one for myself. May be Google will not honor bigger orders.

oh look another person who blows off windows phone without even touching it. i went from a sidekick 4g to an htc surround. i'm currently using a mytouch 4g slide right now and can't wait to get my hands on an htc 8x. i have no doubts this will be a badass phone, though.

Dear google,

Kindly keep hoarders for fleebay away. This phone will sell without their help.

If you think Apple does not mine your data, you are naive! The whole reason why Apple didn't want to use Google Maps is because they didn't want to feed Google data and let them make money off of it when they can use user data (search, maps, navigation etc) to make money! And you think Apple is a non-profit who would bend over backwards for you just because you bought an Apple device? Please wisen up.. NOW!

I love this phone and wish my SGSII-i9100 stops working

waytorishabh said:   Your calculation for iphone should also include Straight Talk.
Only difference between iphone 5 and Nexus 4 is 350 dollars + taxes over any time period.
Google subsidies the phone by using your data to place ads on the Google services you use.
I think many people underestimate the capabilities of a software to predict your behavior using your search, email (gmail), documents (google docs), gps, spending (google wallet).
I like gmail and google search but I would not like to use all services from one provider.

Cheers,

Ris

rodge said:   If you think Apple does not mine your data, you are naive! The whole reason why Apple didn't want to use Google Maps is because they didn't want to feed Google data and let them make money off of it when they can use user data (search, maps, navigation etc) to make money! And you think Apple is a non-profit who would bend over backwards for you just because you bought an Apple device? Please wisen up.. NOW!

I love this phone and wish my SGSII-i9100 stops working

waytorishabh said:   Your calculation for iphone should also include Straight Talk.

Cheers,

Ris

Data mining is gonna happen with all of todays handset. This one coupled with a prepaid deal is fwd way of approaching cellphone plans.

I believe windows phone is promising but we will see how far they can go.

8GB is enough for me. The price is also okay. Thanks OP!

coolbreeze said:   foghorn19 said:   E_Bay bidding is already well past $400 on the 16GB model. Good times!
Shakes head. Let's assume they level off at $400. The seller will still lose since the Play store charges tax and shipping. $349 quickly approaches $400, then there's e8ay fees, etc, negating any profit.

But of course the prices will probably approach $600, which is very sad indeed. I'm going to sit the flipping madness out this time and just get one for a backup to my Note 2. It's too time consuming and risky to buy a ton to flip, IMO.
The highest priced ones are selling in the mid-500's. Looks like they're to international buyers with low feedback. Lotsa headache with international shipping, customs, and maybe money launderers/scammers.

I have used iPhone for 4 years. But once i moved to android, believe it or not - IT's FREEDOM!!! I regret, why i didn't move earlier. iPhone SUCKS! Right now using Samsung Nexus, love the phone. Jelly Beans rocks! You need to leave that green walled garden to realize what you're missing!!!

peas said:   coolbreeze said:   foghorn19 said:   E_Bay bidding is already well past $400 on the 16GB model. Good times!

The highest priced ones are selling in the mid-500's. Looks like they're to international buyers with low feedback. Lotsa headache with international shipping, customs, and maybe money launderers/scammers.

Hopefully LG/manufacturers have had enough time to meet this crazy demand. XDA/SD are full of people waiting to order.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014