Voting History
rated:
Hi all,

LIVE NOW

Unlocked nexus phone available @ Google play

299 - 8 GB
349 - 16 GB

link

I plan on pairing this with Straight Talk BYOD unlimited everything $45 plan.

For people who start bashing the $349 price point and lack of LTE among many other things, kindly look into how much you can save with this phone and a prepaid plan (Str@ight T@lk, H2O ... )

Member Summary

nexus
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer

Nexus 4
Thanks MVP9596
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Got this in my email 2 hours ago...

spiritraveller (Nov. 26, 2012 @ 8:10p) |

Which cases (or bumpers) are people ordering/have good experience with - since the official nexus 4 bumper is out of sto... (more)

jairocon (Dec. 27, 2012 @ 2:32p) |

If you want a bumper, people seem to like the Poetic one for $10:

www.amazon.com/Poetic-Borderline-Black-Gray-Warranty/dp... (more)

Grayson73 (Dec. 27, 2012 @ 2:46p) |

Quad core processor
2 GB ram
IPS screen

NO LTE
NO CDMA
NO SD

Get over it.

---------------
If you're not over it
* A good review: Review.
* Suggestions on how to try it out: Try it out
* Two other carriers you can use it on: http://www.mysimplemobile.com/ and T-Mobile pay as you go.
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Good alternative to Iphone 5

These things are going to sell for 600 euro over here in Europe. Crazy.

Following is a math explanation for why this phone + a prepaid plan is really a FWF way for latest phones + service.

$349 + (Northern VA) tax 5% = $367.5 (I don't know how much the shipping is)
Str@ight T@lk unlimited everything -- $45*24 = $1080
For 24 months, total is 1447.5

Iphone 5 199 + 5% = $210
Voice $40; Text $20; Data (300 MB) $20. $80/month.
For 24 months, total is $2130.

For comparison, I have used the minimum possible in AT&T to be able to buy an iphone 5.

Feel free to point out if I have got mistakes above.

homer5150 said:   These things are going to sell for 600 euro over here in Europe. Crazy.

I feel sorry for the guys on the other side of the pond.

Pair this phone with a low-priced pre-paid or post-paid plan that uses the T-Mobile network to get LTE-esk data speeds up to 42 Mbps.

Pair this phone with a low-priced pre-paid or post-paid plan that uses the T-Mobile network to get LTE-esk data speeds up to 42 Mbps.

Anyone know if these will be sold in physical stores? I think this could be great for my wife with the StraightTalk plan, but I'm certain she won't be interested unless she gets to see it and play around with it first. She loves her webOS palm pixi, but her pageplus plan only get 200mb/mo.

Is this midnight EST or PST?

Midnight, which timezone?

Yuyak said:   Anyone know if these will be sold in physical stores? I think this could be great for my wife with the StraightTalk plan, but I'm certain she won't be interested unless she gets to see it and play around with it first. She loves her webOS palm pixi, but her pageplus plan only get 200mb/mo.T-Mobile will apparently be getting demo units by the 14th

hmm, OP you have a source for launch time or is it just a guess?
http://www.androidcentral.com/nexus-410-play-store-availability-...

nvm: article was updated after I read it.

imatechie said:   Following is a math explanation for why this phone + a prepaid plan is really a FWF way for latest phones + service.

Iphone 5 199 + 5% = $210

For comparison, I have used the minimum possible in AT&T to be able to buy an iphone 5.

Add 36$ activation fee + approximately 3$ per month of misc charges.

imatechie said:   Following is a math explanation for why this phone + a prepaid plan is really a FWF way for latest phones + service.

Iphone 5 199 + 5% = $210

Also taxes on postpaid. Using VA, 5% x $80 x 24 = $96

The total minimum iPhone 5 cost would be 2130 + $36 activation + at least $96 taxes = $2262

Midnight in N.America is breakfast time in Europe.

Nexus 4 will be available midnight PST. I had called them a few days back to see if I can pre-order and not having to be awake at 3 in the morning. The rep said they have enough supplies and pre-orders were not possible.

Iphone 5 199 + 5% = $210

You don't have to commit to text if you are texting other iPhone users or use whatsapp etc.

So you could be within $300. And that iPhone after 2 years will fetch you minimum $200 resale.

Plus there's really nothing like an iPhone... I adore my iPhone 5. Yep, seen the numbers. Yep, know it's cheaper to go with something else. Yep, don't care.

imatechie said:   Nexus 4 will be available midnight PST. I had called them a few days back to see if I can pre-order and not having to be awake at 3 in the morning. The rep said they have enough supplies and pre-orders were not possible.

LOL, up during midnight for Nexus phones?

jucus said:   imatechie said:   Nexus 4 will be available midnight PST. I had called them a few days back to see if I can pre-order and not having to be awake at 3 in the morning. The rep said they have enough supplies and pre-orders were not possible.

Sure don't want to miss this.

I am in Europe and they are

299 Euro and 349 Euro

A plan with unlimited talk time and texts here in Germany and 500 MB is 30 euros no contract and 25 with a 2 yr service contract !

f2000sa said:   HSPA+ No 4G LTE. Why???

Because it's an unlocked world phone and currently there are currently 40+ different combinations of LTE bands worldwide, and no LTE chipset supports them all. Also, LTE chipsets are far more expensive, and this phone almost certainly wouldn't be able to be offered at this price point unsubsidized if it had LTE.

This is an absolutely amazing phone for the price. It fixes all of the hardware problems of the Galaxy Nexus (crappy camera, dim+oversaturated Pentile screen, poor battery life) and has essentially all the features (save for LTE and microSD slot) of the $599 (unsubsidized) Galaxy S III, but for $250 less. And of any of its contemporaries, it will be guaranteed to get Android updates the quickest, most frequently, and for the longest time period.

jucus said:   imatechie said:   Nexus 4 will be available midnight PST. I had called them a few days back to see if I can pre-order and not having to be awake at 3 in the morning. The rep said they have enough supplies and pre-orders were not possible.

Well, it's not as absurd as waiting in line in the freezing weather for an iphone. But I guess Nexus fans are just not as devoted. ;P

My wife and I used to be on Straight Talk's BYOP plan. We switched to Solavei with our Galaxy S3's and now don't pay anything every month. I am grabbing a couple of these for other people who we are helping eliminate their cell phone bill as well....great phone for $299!

robafloyd said:   My wife and I used to be on Straight Talk's BYOP plan. We switched to Solavei with our Galaxy S3's and now don't pay anything every month. I am grabbing a couple of these for other people who we are helping eliminate their cell phone bill as well....great phone for $299!

as long as you keep referring at least 2+ people every month, your service is free... sounds like a trapezoidal scheme...

Kind of cool...will this take a Verizon iPhone Sim (with a nano-sim adapter, of course), and will Verizon care if I swap out for an alternate IMEI on their network from time to time?

As it is, I got the iP5 for $149 (no, don't know why...V price mistake), and I pay ~$49/mo for 200 minutes, 250 texts, and unlimited LTE data. Still, it would be nice to see what life is like on the other side, and if it's worth switching operating systems.

is this plan still available?

Overzeetop said:   Kind of cool...will this take a Verizon iPhone Sim (with a nano-sim adapter, of course), and will Verizon care if I swap out for an alternate IMEI on their network from time to time?

As it is, I got the iP5 for $149 (no, don't know why...V price mistake), and I pay ~$49/mo for 200 minutes, 250 texts, and unlimited LTE data. Still, it would be nice to see what life is like on the other side, and if it's worth switching operating systems.

This phone is only a GSM and will not work on Verizon or Sprint (CDMA network).

This is replacing my old T-Mobile G2.

T-Mo doesn't have LTE, and their HSPA+ is plenty fast. I can see how people on AT&T may be concerned since AT&T HSPA+ is rather slow. I'll also be switching to T-Mo's value plan since my contract is up. This gets me 3 lines with unlimited voice/data/txt on all three (data is full speed up to 2GB/month) for about $110.

!!!!

jingyip said:   No LTE, No MicroSD, and IT CRACKS!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=herJmqIGOoM&feature=relmfu

jingyip said:   No LTE, No MicroSD, and IT CRACKS!

1. LTE is only really required for Sprint or Verizon, neither of which this phone works with. LTE is typically only deployed in crowded and oversubscribed metros for AT&T. In those markets you'll benefit as nearly all new phones are LTE capable which means more spectrum for you to use. For T-Mobile HSPA+ is nearly at LTE rates.

2. MicroSD is not as useful in jelly bean or later phones. You can't use App 2 SD methods in 4.1 or later. Apps which haven't been developed with 4.1 or later in mind will default to internal storage.

3. All phones will break with enough force.

4. No removable battery - biggest issue for me. Swapable batteries are still very handy and nice to be able to change your battery capacity with extended batteries.

This coming from a Note 2 international user on Straight Talk

efficacyman said:   jingyip said:   No LTE, No MicroSD, and IT CRACKS!

1. LTE is only really required for Sprint or Verizon, neither of which this phone works with. LTE is typically only deployed in crowded and oversubscribed metros for AT&T. In those markets you'll benefit as nearly all new phones are LTE capable which means more spectrum for you to use. For T-Mobile HSPA+ is nearly at LTE rates.

2. MicroSD is not as useful in jelly bean or later phones. You can't use App 2 SD methods in 4.1 or later. Apps which haven't been developed with 4.1 or later in mind will default to internal storage.

4. No removable battery - biggest issue for me. Swapable batteries are still very handy and nice to be able to change your battery capacity with extended batteries.

I will miss the swappable battery too.

Coming from S@msung Galaxy Nexus.

imatechie said:   efficacyman said:   jingyip said:   No LTE, No MicroSD, and IT CRACKS!

I will miss the swappable battery too.

Coming from S@msung Galaxy Nexus.

The battery is the only thing keeping me from staying up to put my order in after midnight. Had a Sprint EVO 4G, EVO 3D. Wife had a Nexus S 4G. After a few months, none were able to make it more than 8-10 hours. That's even sitting there idle. I used to fall asleep with my fully charged EVO 3D in my bed and it would be drained by the time I woke up. Never have I heard of Android someone say "wow, this battery rocks. I can go all day".

But at these price points, it is probably worth it to carry my [work] iPhone around as a spare in case I guess.

Nokia Lumia at 450 with LTE and much better camera and screen sounds like a better deal to me.

Iphone 5 199 + 5% = $210

I thought I've read in some thread and thousands of people confirmed that there is NO such Unlimited.
They just advertised unlimited but if we blindly believe in them, then our fault.
As someone reported, 2GB data cap. Is it still hold true?
Also, when comparing like that, pls do Nexus ST vs Nexus contract to eliminate the confusion as well as the heat between Apple fanboys and Android fanboys.

Schmungy said:   imatechie said:   Following is a math explanation for why this phone + a prepaid plan is really a FWF way for latest phones + service.

Iphone 5 199 + 5% = $210

You don't have to commit to text if you are texting other iPhone users or use whatsapp etc.

So you could be within $300. And that iPhone after 2 years will fetch you minimum $200 resale.

About the Whatsapp, why on earth it REQUIRES us (or in my case, me) to have a text message plan before able to complete the setup?
What happens if I don't have it? Can't setup?

I need to set up 3 alarm clocks at 2am cst in order not to oversleep the madness
Take my money now!

ashukg said:   Nokia Lumia at 450 with LTE and much better camera and screen sounds like a better deal to me.

Windows Phone, no thanks.....

Skipping 224 Messages...
jairocon said:   Which cases (or bumpers) are people ordering/have good experience with - since the official nexus 4 bumper is out of stock on google play?

If you want a bumper, people seem to like the Poetic one for $10:

www.amazon.com/Poetic-Borderline-Black-Gray-Warranty/dp/B00AG0D5...

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014