Nexus 4 $299/$349 @ Google play **LIVE NOW**

Archived From: Expired Deals
  • Text Only
docjoo said:   RockLegend said:   This phone will be sold out in minutes...

Very optimistic...but don't bet on it. I have seen how fast LTE is compared to 3G...People who have experienced LTE will not get non LTE phone. This phone would have been a hit in 2011, but in 2013 it will be a value phone...price will drop to $249 or less. Not having LTE will hurt sales in 2013.

I have Razr Max. Love the LTE. Yes, LTE is really really fast. However, the Nexus 4 isnt what you normally think of as '3g' - its HSPA+ and its pretty darn fast too. If you are in a good coverage area, you will likely not be able to perceive much of a speed difference. I typically get 20 mbps down on Verizon LTE. If thats even cut in half, there is no way I'll be able to tell the difference - especially for what I use my phone for (web, streaming music, etc).

Google is trying to change the way we get phones, for the better. If I have to sacrifice a little speed to get there, I'm IN.

KayK said:   docjoo said:   RockLegend said:   This phone will be sold out in minutes...

Very optimistic...but don't bet on it. I have seen how fast LTE is compared to 3G...People who have experienced LTE will not get non LTE phone. This phone would have been a hit in 2011, but in 2013 it will be a value phone...price will drop to $249 or less. Not having LTE will hurt sales in 2013.
Pure BS. iphone 4S didnt have LTE.. yet it sold like hot cakes.
having LTE will not matter much.

LTE network has expanded significantly since 4S launch. Do you honestly think iPhone 5 would have sold out right now if LTE was not available?

docjoo said:   KayK said:   docjoo said:   RockLegend said:   This phone will be sold out in minutes...

LTE network has expanded significantly since 4S launch. Do you honestly think iPhone 5 would have sold out right now if LTE was not available?
Yes. A big fat yes.
Do not underestimate the power of the iSheep.

docjoo said:   RockLegend said:   This phone will be sold out in minutes...

Google is not selling this to make up their numbers in sales.

docjoo said:   KayK said:   docjoo said:   RockLegend said:   This phone will be sold out in minutes...

iPhone 5 would be sold out right now if it was 2G speeds. It's the new iPhone.

I'm a power user but I do nothing that requires more than 2mbit/s when travelling.

Within that 3G bandwidth I can stream movies and load web pages with more than satisfactory results - faster than my first cable modem connection and faster than most people rely on at home with DSL. Think about that for a minute and let that comparison sink in....

I have a "4G" / HSPA+ enabled T-Mobile phone and find myself very happy "just at 3G speeds".

Also I'f you are any kind of limited data plan how much faster do you need when you can hit your month cap in hours?

Could someone enlightened me what you do on a cell phone that really benefits from >2 mbit/s bandwidth ? (honestly curious)

ashukg said:   hanma said:   ashukg said:   Nokia Lumia at 450 with LTE and much better camera and screen sounds like a better deal to me.

Windows Phone, no thanks.....

I don't want to start a debate here. But do use it before you say so. At least on camera front it blows everything else.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/26/lumia-920-low-light-shootout/

you can go buy a camera, i'm sure it will better than this.

The internet is for pron!

LTE doesn't matter one bit to me. I'm very happy with my $45/mo Straight Talk plan. I can get 5Mbit down/1-2 up, and that works great for me.

Second point not being addressed in this thread: This phone isn't on the market with the aim to sell a ton of devices. This is meant to be a halo device for the Android brand, primarily targeted at developers, enthusiasts and others who want stock android with zero day updates to the OS. Devices like this are meant to represent the top end of the hardware line to show off the capabilities of the OS. That Joe iPhone user buys this is not of any consequence. The idea is that this phone sets a benchmark for the other handset manufacturers, so that Joe iPhone user buys the next big Samsung, LG, HTC, whoever else, Android device. The pricing of this phone should demonstrate that - it's low margin for Google compared to their other business activities.

Yes, battery life. LTE allows a faster "race to sleep." See the Anandtech Nexus 4 preview.... Actually, the iphone 5 with LTE got several more HOURS of battery life versus the iphone 5 on 3g. that said, the Nexus 4 is still incredible, and I'm getting one.

KayK said:   docjoo said:   KayK said:   docjoo said:   RockLegend said:   This phone will be sold out in minutes...

Yes. A big fat yes.

iPhone 5 without LTE is called 4S. Right now 4S is on a clearance for customers that is willing to pay $99 with 2 yrs contract.
Samsung GS3 without LTE is like Nexus 4....it will be on clearance in 2013.
If I am going to upgrade, I would want to take advantage of LTE service that my carrier is providing to me for no extra charge.
Prepaid consumers are willing to sacrifice LTE for cheaper phones and monthly payments. So I expect this phone to drop in price when the initial demand fades.
Just like Nexus 7 32gb version....RadioShack was selling it $50 below the MSRP last week...price is dropping quickly.

Why is this a deal? It isn't like this is special promo pricing or anything..

docjoo said:   KayK said:   docjoo said:   KayK said:   docjoo said:   RockLegend said:   This phone will be sold out in minutes...

Yes. A big fat yes.

iPhone 5 without LTE is called 4S. Right now 4S is on a clearance for customers that is willing to pay $99 with 2 yrs contract.
If I am going to upgrade, I would want to take advantage of LTE service that my carrier is providing to me for no extra charge.
Prepaid consumers are willing to sacrifice LTE for cheaper phones and monthly payments. So I expect this phone to drop in price when the initial demand fades.
Just like Nexus 7 32gb version....RadioShack was selling it $50 below the MSRP last week...price is dropping quickly.

If you are not interested, don't buy it. Also, if you are not interested in buying it, please don't try to enforce your wishes on others.

where did 9:00 a.m. PST come from?

sjwaste said:   LTE doesn't matter one bit to me. I'm very happy with my $45/mo Straight Talk plan. I can get 5Mbit down/1-2 up, and that works great for me.

Second point not being addressed in this thread: This phone isn't on the market with the aim to sell a ton of devices. This is meant to be a halo device for the Android brand, primarily targeted at developers, enthusiasts and others who want stock android with zero day updates to the OS. Devices like this are meant to represent the top end of the hardware line to show off the capabilities of the OS. That Joe iPhone user buys this is not of any consequence. The idea is that this phone sets a benchmark for the other handset manufacturers, so that Joe iPhone user buys the next big Samsung, LG, HTC, whoever else, Android device. The pricing of this phone should demonstrate that - it's low margin for Google compared to their other business activities.

So developers don't want to tinker with LTE phone? It doesn't cost that much to put LTE radio on this phone. Google failed to see how fast LTE network is growing when they designed this phone. I am sure google will come out with Nexus 4+ in 2013 that will have LTE radio. So at end of 2013 this phone will be a bargain phone for people looking for a cheap smartphone. If you don't see the benefit of LTE then you should get this phone. I like LTE and I don't mind paying $50 Sero monthly payment

imatechie said:   docjoo said:   KayK said:   docjoo said:   KayK said:   docjoo said:   RockLegend said:   This phone will be sold out in minutes...

Yes. A big fat yes.

If you are not interested, don't buy it. Also, if you are not interested in buying it, please don't try to enforce your wishes on others.

I am not enforcing my wish on anyone. Just telling people not too get excited about this phone. If they want better value, just wait 6 months since lack of LTE will make this phone go a clearance within next 6 months. Just giving good FW advice. We are all here to save money.

docjoo said:   sjwaste said:   LTE doesn't matter one bit to me. I'm very happy with my $45/mo Straight Talk plan. I can get 5Mbit down/1-2 up, and that works great for me.

So developers don't want to tinker with LTE phone? It doesn't cost that much to put LTE radio on this phone. Google failed to see how fast LTE network is growing when they designed this phone. I am sure google will come out with Nexus 4+ in 2013 that will have LTE radio. So at end of 2013 this phone will be a bargain phone for people looking for a cheap smartphone. If you don't see the benefit of LTE than you should get this phone. I like LTE and I don't mind paying $50 Sero monthly payment

If you're a dev, LTE doesn't present a whole lot that the 3G connection doesn't already. I can't think of many use cases where I'd want to check LTE connectivity and do something different than if I were on HSPA/HSPA+. The Nexus supports HSPA42, and it's a stretch to even design for that, given that most people don't have access to HSPA42 OR LTE.

Beyond that, LTE is of limited availability with global GSM carriers, as well as being fairly fragmented. The Nexus device isn't carrier-specific, and after the Galaxy Nexus debacle with Verizon, I doubt Google is going down that road again. If we're talking just US carriers, AT&T has stated that unlocked phones will work on their LTE network as long as it is standards-compliant, but that would mean building a specific phone for the AT&T network - there isn't a radio that works on all LTE carriers/frequencies just yet. One off devices are not really part of the Nexus strategy.

You'll see LTE in a Nexus once it's more widely deployed, the frequencies for a critical mass of carriers are known (remember, worldwide, not just US), and access policies are set (and open). As it is now, HSPA+ in the Nexus requires a pentaband radio and it covers most of the globe. You'd need considerably more effort to cover LTE globally, and we're talking limited deployments right now.

docjoo said:   sjwaste said:   LTE doesn't matter one bit to me. I'm very happy with my $45/mo Straight Talk plan. I can get 5Mbit down/1-2 up, and that works great for me.

So developers don't want to tinker with LTE phone? It doesn't cost that much to put LTE radio on this phone. Google failed to see how fast LTE network is growing when they designed this phone. I am sure google will come out with Nexus 4+ in 2013 that will have LTE radio. So at end of 2013 this phone will be a bargain phone for people looking for a cheap smartphone. If you don't see the benefit of LTE than you should get this phone. I like LTE and I don't mind paying $50 Sero monthly payment
Jeez man.. this is a world phone. Google made this phone so that it's compatable around the world.. not just US.
Do some research : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LTE_(telecommunication)#Frequency_bands
The LTE standard can be used with many different frequency bands. In North America, 700/800 and 1700/1900 MHz are used; 2500 MHz in South America; 800, 900, 1800, 2600 MHz in Europe; 1800 and 2600 MHz in Asia; and 1800 MHz in Australia.[32][33][34][35][36][37] As a result, phones from one country may not work in other countries. Users will need a multi-band capable phone for roaming internationally.

cbaty said:   Why is this a deal? It isn't like this is special promo pricing or anything..

Just a new launch hype. Within 6 months this phone will be $249 or less....so wait for a deal.

docjoo said:   cbaty said:   Why is this a deal? It isn't like this is special promo pricing or anything..

Just a new launch hype. Within 6 months this phone will be $249 or less....so wait for a deal.

What non-iPhone smart phone doesn't drop 20% in price at 6 months after launch?

jingyip said:   No LTE, No MicroSD, and IT CRACKS!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=herJmqIGOoM&feature=relmfu

LOL - yeah it cracked when he KNOCKED IT OFF HIS COUNTER as oppose to an iPhone which would shatter.

KayK said:   docjoo said:   sjwaste said:   LTE doesn't matter one bit to me. I'm very happy with my $45/mo Straight Talk plan. I can get 5Mbit down/1-2 up, and that works great for me.

Jeez man.. this is a world phone. Google made this phone so that it's compatable around the world.. not just US.
Do some research : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LTE_(telecommunication)#Frequency_bands
The LTE standard can be used with many different frequency bands. In North America, 700/800 and 1700/1900 MHz are used; 2500 MHz in South America; 800, 900, 1800, 2600 MHz in Europe; 1800 and 2600 MHz in Asia; and 1800 MHz in Australia.[32][33][34][35][36][37] As a result, phones from one country may not work in other countries. Users will need a multi-band capable phone for roaming internationally.

Lol! Go to Korea and Japan. It's all LTE.We are finally catching up. Europe is behind. My old HTC Touch Pro 2 is a world phone....iPhone 4s is a world phone....but to most consumers...they don't need a world phone....they will benefit more from LTE network rather than being able to use it overseas. Btw, it's cheaper to use VoIP via wifi than buy a sim card with a data plan when you are traveling abroad. If your phone has wifi...then it's the best world phone.

ubermichaelthomas said:   docjoo said:   cbaty said:   Why is this a deal? It isn't like this is special promo pricing or anything..

What non-iPhone smart phone doesn't drop 20% in price at 6 months after launch?

Samsung Note did not drop 20% within 6 months after launch.

docjoo said:   Lol! Go to Korea and Japan. It's all LTE.We are finally catching up. Europe is behind. My old HTC Touch Pro 2 is a world phone....iPhone 4s is a world phone....but to most consumers...they don't need a world phone....they will benefit more from LTE network rather than being able to use it overseas. Btw, it's cheaper to use VoIP via wifi than buy a sim card with a data plan when you are traveling abroad. If your phone has wifi...then it's the best world phone.I think you have confused "most consumers" with yourself.
Most consumers dont care about LTE. They care about data.
Korea and Japan have LTE.. but the bands are different than what we use here in US.
A phone that wifi doesnt make it the best world phone. A phone compatible with the local bands makes anywhere in the world it the best world phone.

I just wish Google would drop their nonsense with the Nexus line and put SD storage in! It's a standard feature these days and ridiculous they don't offer it on any of the Nexus line.

Otherwise the price is right and I don't care about LTE either; I'd rather the battery and plan savings than a few more megabits on my mobile phone.

KayK said:   docjoo said:   Lol! Go to Korea and Japan. It's all LTE.We are finally catching up. Europe is behind. My old HTC Touch Pro 2 is a world phone....iPhone 4s is a world phone....but to most consumers...they don't need a world phone....they will benefit more from LTE network rather than being able to use it overseas. Btw, it's cheaper to use VoIP via wifi than buy a sim card with a data plan when you are traveling abroad. If your phone has wifi...then it's the best world phone.I think you have confused "most consumers" with yourself.
Korea and Japan have LTE.. but the bands are different than what we use here in US.
A phone that wifi doesnt make it the best world phone. A phone compatible with the local bands makes anywhere in the world it the best world phone.

Very true. That's why pentaband phones are world phones. I believe LTE is still in its baby days. Eventually we will have a 4G chip that can accommodate most of frequency bands.

docjoo said:   cbaty said:   Why is this a deal? It isn't like this is special promo pricing or anything..

I don't think Google will drop the 299/349 price point. I can envision that the 8GB running out fast.

I wish they made a 32GB phone and a replaceable battery.

For someone who travels (international) a lot, an unlocked phone is a great way to save on costs. Also, prepaid carriers are competing for a pie from the big four carriers.

Europe have much better postpaid and prepaid plans through their major carriers. The carriers subsidize their phones too. Only in the US we have GREEDY carriers. I hope to pick one up too.

KayK said:   docjoo said:   Lol! Go to Korea and Japan. It's all LTE.We are finally catching up. Europe is behind. My old HTC Touch Pro 2 is a world phone....iPhone 4s is a world phone....but to most consumers...they don't need a world phone....they will benefit more from LTE network rather than being able to use it overseas. Btw, it's cheaper to use VoIP via wifi than buy a sim card with a data plan when you are traveling abroad. If your phone has wifi...then it's the best world phone.I think you have confused "most consumers" with yourself.

You don't need a world phone if you can get wifi and have VoIP app like Kakao. You can communicate with anyone around the world for free.

If you can't see the benefit of LTE, then stick with your slow 3G.

docjoo said:   You don't need a world phone if you can get wifi and have VoIP app like Kakao. You can communicate with anyone around the world for free.

If you can't see the benefit of LTE, then stick with your slow 3G.
IF you have wifi. No wifi, you're screwed...unless you have a pentaband phone.
Yes..I'll stick with my "slow" 6 Mbps data connection... and with the extra $$$ in my bank account.

I am not enforcing my wish on anyone. Just telling people not too get excited about this phone. If they want better value, just wait 6 months since lack of LTE will make this phone go a clearance within next 6 months. Just giving good FW advice. We are all here to save money.

You guys are missing the point on LTE. It wasn't left off this device to primarily save money. By having LTE, the phone would not be a true developer phone and would not get updates quickly like Nexus phones are supposed to. If google added LTE (say for verizon's network), the phone would have to be licensed by verizon which would make google go through verizon on everything. This means, verizon bloatware, extremely delayed updates, etc. (look at the original verizon galaxy nexus) Inexcusable for a google developer phone to wait months for an update that non developer phones on other networks already received.

Really, speed of HSPA+ vs LTE isn't the issue, its coverage.

imatechie said:   KayK said:   docjoo said:   Lol! Go to Korea and Japan. It's all LTE.We are finally catching up. Europe is behind. My old HTC Touch Pro 2 is a world phone....iPhone 4s is a world phone....but to most consumers...they don't need a world phone....they will benefit more from LTE network rather than being able to use it overseas. Btw, it's cheaper to use VoIP via wifi than buy a sim card with a data plan when you are traveling abroad. If your phone has wifi...then it's the best world phone.I think you have confused "most consumers" with yourself.

Very true. That's why pentaband phones are world phones. I believe LTE is still in its baby days. Eventually we will have a 4G chip that can accommodate most of frequency bands.

try to use your pentaphone in Korea and Japan. You will see how expensive it is to use your world phone there. It's cheaper to rent a local phone at the airport. Cheaper to use free wifi that is available almost every block.

docjoo said:   
try to use your pentaphone in Korea and Japan. You will see how expensive it is to use your world phone there. It's cheaper to rent a local phone at the airport. Cheaper to use free wifi that is available almost every block.

I fail to see how putting local pay as you go SIM in your unlocked (N4) penta-band world phone is expensive?... why buy/rent a local phone?

..that's the beauty of GMS...

docjoo said:   try to use your pentaphone in Korea and Japan. You will see how expensive it is to use your world phone there. It's cheaper to rent a local phone at the airport. Cheaper to use free wifi that is available almost every block.
I guess you haven't heard of prepaid SIM cards. And if wifi is so pervasive that you don't need a cellular connection, doesn't that negate your entire argument for LTE anyway?

Give it a rest, you've made your point, you're not going to sway anyone who doesn't need to watch several simultaneous streams of HD video for 30 minutes a month that LTE makes more sense for them than unlimited HSPA+ data on arguably the best no-contract phone for the money, ever.

nemi_amd said:   docjoo said:   

I fail to see how putting local pay as you go SIM in your unlocked (N4) penta-band world phone is expensive?... why buy/rent a local phone?

I take it you have never been to Korea or Japan. They are CDMA countries...

Just went live - got my order placed.

GudSpellur said:   nemi_amd said:   docjoo said:   

I take it you have never been to Korea or Japan. They are CDMA countries...

I take it you haven't. SoftBank and NTT DoCoMo are both 3G GSM, and support an unlocked iPhone 4S just fine.

IT IS LIVE BUY NOW!

Order placed
Thank you. Your order has been placed, and you will receive an email shortly with the details of your purchase.
ITEM PRICE QTY TOTAL
Nexus 4 (16GB) $349.00 2 $698.00
ORDER NUMBER
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subtotal: $698.00
Shipping: $13.99
Tax: $43.62
Total: $755.61

fref said:   Just went live - got my order placed.

My order went through as well.

Ugh..
An error occurred while processing your purchase. Please try again later.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 12:00AM CST (Midnight) tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.