• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Sony SMP-N200 Streaming Media Player with Wi-Fi *Refurbished* $29.99 plus S&H

Today's deal is a Sony SMP-N200 Streaming Media Player with Wi-Fi for $29.99 plus S&H. These are factory refurbished and have minor scratches on the unit.

This does not affect the function of the unit. Scratches save you some money. We all win.

http://nextgen4sale.com/

TranceAzn op

Member Summary

Sony SMP-N200 (12.89kB)
Thanks Wemic
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
30 day warranty on their site in descriptions.... Sony refurbs usually carry a 90 day warrranty i thought?? but that wa... (more)

charliebeagledog (Nov. 13, 2012 @ 3:14p) |

I missed $9 shipped deal.

sardarji (Nov. 13, 2012 @ 3:24p) |

I haven't seen anything about this. The push is to put this on BD players. Haven't seen a lot of effort in the media p... (more)

wizwor (Nov. 13, 2012 @ 10:08p) |

Condition: Factory Refurbished
Packaging: Brown Box Generic
Warranty: 30 Day
Manufacturer: Sony
Model: SMP-N200
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
    • Manufacturer › Sony
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Still my favorite set top media player. It has some great channels, excellent connectivity, and the best media playback via usb.

Never heard of this vendor. Anyone know anything about this vendor?

Does it play .mkv files?

Yes. Look here for specs...

http://www.docs.sony.com/release/specs/SMPN200_mksp.pdf

Just tested .mkv and .avi both play fine.

$5 S&H - Total $34.99

I wonder if it comes with any warranty other than their 14 day return policy.....

edit: Looks like a new web site as well. Appears to only have been around since October 28th of this year....

read a customer review:
I read a lot of iffy reviews before I bought this and decided surely a bad interface wouldn't bother me. But it does, it is so bad. In Netflix the pictures are tiny, although you can read the title at the bottom, its just not the same. Also, the episodes page is awkward. In Crackle there is no search button, you have to scroll through everything to find what you're looking for. Pandora looks nothing like pandora. It also has a bunch of pointless other channels. On Roku they have cool ones, and you get to pick whats on your list and whats not.
It also randomly freezes, but that may be my internet. Also, when the connection gets weak it doesn't say "retrieving" or have a loading bar of any sorts, it just stops makes you hit okay two or three times, then starts whatever you were watching over! So annoying.
It doesn't offer HBO go either, which I watch on my computer all the time. The remote also sucks. There are a lot of buttons that are there for no reason. Or at least I can't find a reason for red green yellow and blue labeled buttons. And the buttons are flat, forget trying to push the right one in the dark or even while not looking. My friend bought one and had it for three days before returning it. She said the HD was pixelated. I don't have an HD tv so I wouldn't know.
I did like how it connected to my home network though, sort of cool occasionally.
I'm not a picky person, and I thought I didn't mind these things. Then I saw a Roku lt, for the same price, a much better interface, a better remote and HBO Go. Basically, if you REALLY don't mind a bad, overcomplicated, tiny interface, don't mind a weird remote, and you don't have hbo, go for it, you get 3 months free Hulu Plus.

I have one and I am thinking of another. I am not sure about this vendor but for $30 with built-in WIFI, its a great deal. This is especially nice for those who want the DLNA support missing in Roku. As one poster pointed out, the UI is not great esp on a 32" or smaller TV. On my 50" though it is fine. MKVs play from a USB drive. I run Serviio and I can stream them as well.

I have four SMPs and three Rokus. The Roku has more channels and the user interface is different -- I can't say one is better than the other (the SMP interface is like the PS3. it would be very handy if the Roku introduced some kind of drill down interface; navigating the single list of channels can get tedious). To get a USB port on a Roku, you have to spend $100. If you want to play two videos off this usb disk without user intervention, you have to spend another $12 on a channel. The Rokus have composite and hdmi, but no component. Not a big deal, unless it is.

The LT is 720p, has no usb, no ethernet port, and no bt remote (so no games). Not a game changer for me because my TVs are 720p and I don't play games on my Rokus.

I would say that pointless vs really cool channels is a matter of taste. You can browse the SMP channels here and the Roku channels here.

There are two things I really like about the Roku. 1) The list of available channels is growing. They allow third parties to develop for their box and there is potential for compelling content. 2) Playon.TV. There are a lot of channels on Playon that are not otherwise available on the Roku and the SMP cannot stream Playon at all.

But this is all WAY off topic. For $35, the SMP is a really nice media player that can stream popular content and play files off an attached disk or streamed from a windows pc. You can attach it to just about any TV and you do not need anything extra for wired or wireless network.

Does it come with remote control at all?

Yes

Sounds like the vendor is shady

just use virtual cc number and watch the the account like a hawk.

Just because it's a new vendor doesn't automatically make it a shady vendor. It's using Paypal, so not like they can run away with your money.

Perfect xmas gift for my folks. Green for you.

Didnt they update this TO INCLUDE Cinavia? If so, you do not want it!

If you can only play MKV via usb this is a POS, just like the older N100.

tomarn said:   Didnt they update this TO INCLUDE Cinavia? If so, you do not want it!

Great question, im going to research now

Target has this on clearance brand new at $39.98 in case anyone is leary about this vender..

boulos said:   I wonder if it comes with any warranty other than their 14 day return policy.....

edit: Looks like a new web site as well. Appears to only have been around since October 28th of this year....

30 day warranty on their site in descriptions.... Sony refurbs usually carry a 90 day warrranty i thought?? but that warranty may not be valid if they are not a authorized reseller of Sony. Not sure

cnet does a video review of this product and is less than favorable compared to Roku 2 or wd live but at the price it still appears a value even if a bit less flexible than other platforms

I missed $9 shipped deal.

tomarn said:   Didnt they update this TO INCLUDE Cinavia? If so, you do not want it!
I haven't seen anything about this. The push is to put this on BD players. Haven't seen a lot of effort in the media player arena. Even if this were possible and desirable, it would only affect files ripped from Cinavia protected BDs.

This list was updated in September and does not include the SMPs...

http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=41885&highlight=Cinavi...

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014