• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
The Western Digital Red 3TB drive is on sale at Newegg for $150 shipped as today's Shell Shocker deal - lasts until 9:59AM PT or 12:59pm ET.

Limit 3 per person, no rebates.

Link

I think its the best price I've seen recently w/o a rebate.

Edit: Updated Newegg link - the sale is still there.

Newegg
Need a Newegg coupon that earns 1.0% FatWallet Cash Back?
Member Summary

Western Digital Red 3TB (10.29kB)
Thanks Wemic
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:

Don't forget to use your Shoprunner free 2 day shipping if you have it and can. It gets you 2 day shipping -vs- the regular free they offer on this item.

Good deal!

Thanks OP! Bought one, green for you

would this be good for a gaming pc?

The RED line is meant to be used for storage mainly - and specifically in a NAS. You can use it for storage, but probably not worth the extra $$ over a regular drive. For an OS drive, you should use an SSD anyway.

mav14 said:   The RED line is meant to be used for storage mainly - and specifically in a NAS. You can use it for storage, but probably not worth the extra $$ over a regular drive. For an OS drive, you should use an SSD anyway.

Experiments I have done show it is as the manufacurer says "use in RAID or similar storage". It does its own
thing when used as a primary OS drive and you won't like what happens!!! The good part is supposedly is has
a longer life span than conventional drives.

As the man says....use SSD for system drive and put data on this one.

Months ago before the sale of Hitachi to Seagate I had lots of good things to say for those drives. No more!!!!!
Three out of four dead on arrival.....the one that work is now showing bearing noise.

We maybe seeing the end of hard drives as we know them and being pushed into SSDs. I have eight factory sealed
IDE drives of various sizes, mostly 300 g...that I have saved for a rainy day. And SIIG adaptors to run them
off PCI slots.

try a real raid controller with these. The M5014 (lsi 9260-8i) you can find for $100-140 is an exceptional card. Picked up a half dozen with LIPO batteries (3 charge cycles) and they rock.

retiredlawman said:   
We maybe seeing the end of hard drives as we know them and being pushed into SSDs.
At low densities, sure, but 3TB is considered large mass storage and it's at a nickel a gigabyte today. Flash memory will have to shrink at a spectacularly steep rate to overtake these. On a per-gigabyte cost basis, it costs more to buy the flash in a SSD to store a blue ray movie than the cost of buying the movie in the first place. It's hard to imagine the HDD has reached the end.

The density and reliability will also have to improve too - I doubt we'll see 2TB SSDs for another 12-24 months, if that even later.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014