• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Make sure it was the 4 pin plug coming from the power supply, the 20 vs 24 won't matter but that will...

xpaphil said:   Ive got an old xpc itx computer sitting in my closet. I'll try and slip this in there for an htpc. Think it has xp pro.

It's for a HTPC, it's not for video editing at ILM.

lowpricewanted said:   The memory makes it a nice deal but its tough to stomach that this CPU is no better than a 5 year old Turion in processing power.

note: Newegg page says limit is 3 per customer, that's for the combo, but for the rebate it's Limit ONE rebate per person, promo code, receipt, household, family, or address.

Does anyone know what the difference is with the R2 version? BIOSTAR lists an R2 on their website.

http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=618

tydas said:   Worth a shot...I'm thinking you could get a case, psu and ssd for $100 and have a decent htpc...one reviewer says that it can't handle 1080p reliably which I find hard to believe...its more likely he has high bit rate rips and he should have probably toned it down a bit...

Yes it can handle 1080P without much issues(except once in a while). I am using it with Windows Media Center (with Shark007 codecs) as HTPC. I used to have Win7/WMC setup, that time I never had any issues with 1080P. But I recently upgraded to Win8/WMC, I am not sure it is due to Win8 or some issue with Shark007 codecs for WMC on Win8, I am seeing some lag/jerks while playing 1080P (but anything 1080P below, it is a breeze). I will try to go back to Win7 and post back my findings.

Looks like the free memory does not work with the mobo. Any opinion?

I have similar board, in mATX format, running Ubuntu 12 LTS for the last 1.5 yr. Works really well with 4GB RAM. With AMD driver, you can watch 720p video reasonably well. I don't feel bogged down for my NAS/apache/SSH needs.

If you want to put the HTPC in your living room along with the TV. Do not be cheap on the case. You need to consider Noise factor, maybe aesthetic factor too.

fat5fat5 said:   Looks like the free memory does not work with the mobo. Any opinion?

Where did you get that information?

f2000sa said:   If you want to put the HTPC in your living room along with the TV. Do not be cheap on the case. You need to consider Noise factor, maybe aesthetic factor too.

It is true, so went with Wesena ITX6 case. It looks so good (I should say, like Apple Mini). Case, power brick, 120w adapter etc altogether cost me $140.

What OS are people running with this?

What OS are people running with this?

Win 7 is the way to go. There is no (not much) difference in Media center feature between Win7 and Win8. Win7 is simpler without the mess of win8. You can also use media player to play DVD with win7.

For people like me who is looking to build the smallest possible system, I plan to get this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811108412

Only 3.0" x 8.9" x 7.6" and can be mounted on back of monitor, has a External extension too for extra USB ports.
$50 plus $10 shipping

The $50 seagate XT 500gb hard drive will go well with this. The PSU is only 80 Watts but that's all you need for this system anyway.

There is also the Antec ISK 110 with a 90 watt external power brick that will not add more heat to the system but that case is slightly bigger, more expensive and out of stock @ Newegg

Will I be able to fit this MoBo with this Case/PSU (Shuttle KPC45) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856101064 ?

Where did you get that from, it just runs at a slower speed. You rookie schmexperts crack me up !

fat5fat5 said:   Looks like the free memory does not work with the mobo. Any opinion?

The XT is also one of my posts!

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1234011/

furyofdragon said:   For people like me who is looking to build the smallest possible system, I plan to get this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811108412

Only 3.0" x 8.9" x 7.6" and can be mounted on back of monitor, has a External extension too for extra USB ports.
$50 plus $10 shipping

The $50 seagate XT 500gb hard drive will go well with this. The PSU is only 80 Watts but that's all you need for this system anyway.

There is also the Antec ISK 110 with a 90 watt external power brick that will not add more heat to the system but that case is slightly bigger, more expensive and out of stock @ Newegg

Where can I see this deal comes with 8gb memory.I can't find it in the link.

thanks. glad to know that. I am indeed a rookie.

zmh1175 said:   Where can I see this deal comes with 8gb memory.I can't find it in the link.

Deal is dead now.

For $180, you could have put together an E-350 mobo/cpu/vga with HDMI out, 8GB DDR3, a Xion slim case w/300W PSU, a momentus XT 500GB hybrid HD, and a $20 DVD drive.

UKtour said:   I'd like to replace my dead Dell Dimension E520 MB (BTX Form Factor) with this (Mini ITX Form Factor), but have some concerns. Like would MB mounting holes match Dell case standoffs? And what about power connector? Do audio & USB connections conform to any standard?

Just from photos, I can see the back plane isn't the same as the Dell (hacksaw needed?). Could this become a big can of worms? Thanks for any expert input.

I did this similar upgrade but the problems I have observed not related to mount. Most of the front, power, hdd, led, usb, audio connectors does not work as Dell has proprietary plugs, it took me a while to connect power cable. If you know how to do these things yes it is a doable upgrade.

thanks for the info.

VirtuaL said:   zmh1175 said:   Where can I see this deal comes with 8gb memory.I can't find it in the link.

Deal is dead now.

For $180, you could have put together an E-350 mobo/cpu/vga with HDMI out, 8GB DDR3, a Xion slim case w/300W PSU, a momentus XT 500GB hybrid HD, and a $20 DVD drive.
It seems like deal is on now,

f2000sa said:   What OS are people running with this?

Win 7 is the way to go. There is no (not much) difference in Media center feature between Win7 and Win8. Win7 is simpler without the mess of win8. You can also use media player to play DVD with win7.
Thanks. I was wondering if Win 8 would be okay since I have a couple of copies of that, but none of Win 7. Is Win 8 really that bad? I heard it boots very quickly. My other question is if I put a blueray drive in one of these little boxes, would the heat/power be an issue?

cattlet said:   Is Win 8 really that bad? I heard it boots very quickly. My other question is if I put a blueray drive in one of these little boxes, would the heat/power be an issue?

If you can stand the UI changes in Win8, it's really not that bad an OS. (Well, as long as you don't mind the fact that Microsoft can delete files off of your computer at any time.)

Heat/power depends on the case you put it in, and the PSU and cooling capacity. Brazos can be a somewhat warm chip, even with a low TDP.

Pulled the trigger on two of these to be low power ESXi hosts that connect to a freenas zfs san.

VirtuaL said:   Edit: It is limited to half-height cards though. Don't plan on using the mic/headphone jacks either. The wiring ends in a non-standard set of connectors, that do no match up with the HD Audio pinout of modern mobos.
Connectors are just normal straight pins though? As long as you can get the pinout configuration, it's usually pretty easy to re-wire your own connectors, I've done it before on some other motherboards.

SithMaster said:   

If you are going to add a video card, use this :

http://www.buy.com/prod/cooler-master-elite-120-advanced-ultra-s...

At Newegg: it's $40 after rebate now.
Edit: The rebate is gone now.

my plan is to turn this into a pbx server for my store, just something for 2 lines

another i will turn into a firewall

i use the pico psu adapters so i can fit them in smaller cases and use 12 notebook power supply

I doubt its better than my i5, don't even want to check the specs... anyone?

Was your i5 $25?

baskett said:   I doubt its better than my i5, don't even want to check the specs... anyone?

Found a case for you folks that got this for $35.99 F/S with 250w power supply !!!

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1236200/

BACK ON BUT NO REBATE NEEDED !!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1237413/

Is the passmark on this processor really only in the 800 range? Seems like a spectacular start for something like PlayOn, but they want 1000+ on passmark.

This is good deal if you are interested in running this as a server in your home 24/7. I recently purchased an AMD E-450 + SeaSonic X series SS-400FL for a completely fanless system. Performance is fine for Windows 8 and consumed about 38watts on idle.

Green to the op

SithMaster said:   BACK ON BUT NO REBATE NEEDED !!!!!!!!!!!!!

And a preemptive SHUT UP for virtuaL who will post how much he hates the ram etc.

I think that you must have me confused with someone else. I LIKE G.Skill RAM, it's pretty-much all I use.

I think that it is sad that you could not take constructive criticism about one of your threads, when I mentioned that the rebate form indicated that the deal that you posted was invalid, and that you have subsequently continued to rant about my posts.

Even though I have rated many of your threads "Green".

No confusion, I was busting your chops because alot of your posts are negative.

"Red for invalid rebate." (which it wasn't) is not what I would call "constructive criticism" but I'll lay off ya...

VirtuaL said:   SithMaster said:   BACK ON BUT NO REBATE NEEDED !!!!!!!!!!!!!

And a preemptive SHUT UP for virtuaL who will post how much he hates the ram etc.

I think that you must have me confused with someone else. I LIKE G.Skill RAM, it's pretty-much all I use.

I think that it is sad that you could not take constructive criticism about one of your threads, when I mentioned that the rebate form indicated that the deal that you posted was invalid, and that you have subsequently continued to rant about my posts.

Even though I have rated many of your threads "Green".

Board fits this perfect, I've had it running video for 14 hours now and it's at 39c.

SithMaster said:   Found a case for you folks that got this for $35.99 F/S with 250w power supply !!!

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1236200/

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014