Has HDMI and USB 3.0

IntelŪ PentiumŪ processor B970
14" display
2.3GHz processor speed
Model: X401A-RBL4

Weighs only 4.1 lbs. and measures just 1.3" thin

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I just picked up something similar (B980 Pentium, WIn 8) at BB in person on clearance for $236+tax in NC. Receipt shows ... (more)

bholio (Dec. 10, 2012 @ 12:36p) |

"We are currently unable to show local-store inventories online.
We apologize for this inconvenience. Please visit your l... (more)

RaoMonger (Dec. 10, 2012 @ 1:09p) |

Found one in Orange, CA. They had the tag out for the computer but computer above it was the wrong model number. They ... (more)

pjwill (Dec. 10, 2012 @ 3:02p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

This looks pretty good. Maybe even better than the $249 Acer black friday deal that BB is offering.

I was just browsing the Kmart Thanksgiving ad and they'll have a similar model for $218 Thanksgiving 4pm doorbuster. Asus X401A but with Celeron B830 Processor (1.8Ghz) instead of Pentium. The ad says 2gb RAM but the popup on the ad says 4gb and so does the Kmart website. Both have 320GB HD. Kmart version has Windows 8; BB has Windows 7 Home Premium. Not sure if the better processor speed on the BB version is worth $60, but this might be an OK option if you can't snag that one.

Dont they have i3s for little over $300 on sale

I picked one of these up a few weeks ago for $300 at BB. Wanted a laptop with Windows 7 on it, not 8. It wasn't clearance-priced, that was regular price when I bought it.

It has a decent screen, for the most part. I would have liked a slightly higher resolution than 1366x768 for a 14" screen, but it's alright I guess.

One downside is that by default, it will only run 800Mhz on the CPU on battery power. You have to adjust it. I tried adjusting it to go to max speed on battery, but I was unsuccessful. It only seems to go as high as 1.2Ghz after adjustment.

Another downside is, this laptop was not meant to be upgraded/repaired. Watch the disassembly video on YouTube. You have to take the whole keyboard off, just to get at the HDD (to upgrade to an SSD, for example), and you have to then take the whole motherboard out, to get at the RAM. I forget if this has one or two RAM slots, I think only one.

It does have a six-cell battery, and gets around five hours battery life, when throttled down to 800Mhz.

The performance is around the performance of a C-60 or slightly above, when throttled on battery.

For my 15, 13, and 11 year olds - steal.

would be tempting if this was 80 dollars cheaper, nice try though

VirtuaL said:   I picked one of these up a few weeks ago for $300 at BB. Wanted a laptop with Windows 7 on it, not 8. It wasn't clearance-priced, that was regular price when I bought it.

It has a decent screen, for the most part. I would have liked a slightly higher resolution than 1366x768 for a 14" screen, but it's alright I guess.

One downside is that by default, it will only run 800Mhz on the CPU on battery power. You have to adjust it. I tried adjusting it to go to max speed on battery, but I was unsuccessful. It only seems to go as high as 1.2Ghz after adjustment.

Another downside is, this laptop was not meant to be upgraded/repaired. Watch the disassembly video on YouTube. You have to take the whole keyboard off, just to get at the HDD (to upgrade to an SSD, for example), and you have to then take the whole motherboard out, to get at the RAM. I forget if this has one or two RAM slots, I think only one.

It does have a six-cell battery, and gets around five hours battery life, when throttled down to 800Mhz.

The performance is around the performance of a C-60 or slightly above, when throttled on battery.

Just to confirm - you are saying that you can only get the 2.3Ghz processor to run at 1.2Ghz on battery power. That really sucks.

Red! Should be $99. It is holiday season and BB is clearly not in the holiday mood.

fatxman said:   Red! Should be $99. It is holiday season and BB is clearly not in the holiday mood.

Yes, Best Buy should compete with all the other $99 laptops that are being offered.

BB's BF $249 Acer is a better deal since it has a B980 processor for $30 less. Also, either B970 or B980 is far better than Kmart's Celeron B830.

The best laptop deal so far this season was the lenova V570, which is gone now.

teraman said:   VirtuaL said:   

Just to confirm - you are saying that you can only get the 2.3Ghz processor to run at 1.2Ghz on battery power. That really sucks.

Yes. It seems a bit like false advertising. They should put an asterix next to the speed, and list it as "on AC power only".

I haven't tried removing the Asus power-management software, nor have I tried a clean install.

I did go into the software, and change the max processor state from 60% to 100%, but it still doesn't want to go faster than 1.2Ghz, as measured by the newest version of CPU-Z.

Plugged into AC power, I see it bounce up to 2.3Ghz occasionally while web browsing.

Edit: Other than that issue, and the issue getting to the HD to replace with an SSD (which sadly, I am not willing to do), I like this laptop. It is fairly lightweight.

I've got one of these with 8 GB ram and a 120 GB SSD. Really nice computer. BIG PITA to upgrade and not screw up anything.

EDIT: If any of you guys want to buy and upgrade one of these but don't want to deal with the hassle/risk PM me.

Nice try Worst buy, the same laptop with more color choice is on their own ads on Black Friday for $30 less, maybe pickup one then, but this is lukewarm

Would not recommend buying any computer with a Celeron processor

trinidadperson said:   Would not recommend buying any computer with a Celeron processor

I have one of those $250 Gateway laptops from Target a few months ago which had a Celeron. It can handle most of the daily activities. Word, excel, heavy video streaming, Skype all multitasking. Are you sure that you are not talking about Celeron from a decade back?

no deal, i see these on the clearance racks at bestbuy at this price because they have windows 7 on them. 200 bucks would be a good deal

imatechie said:   trinidadperson said:   Would not recommend buying any computer with a Celeron processor

I have one of those $250 Gateway laptops from Target a few months ago which had a Celeron. It can handle most of the daily activities. Word, excel, heavy video streaming, Skype all multitasking. Are you sure that you are not talking about Celeron from a decade back?

Some are stuck in the Celeron mentality, those with no level 2 Cache of 15 years ago.
I can still recall Leo Laporte rightfully so dunning them.

whoever said:   BB's BF $249 Acer is a better deal since it has a B980 processor for $30 less. Also, either B970 or B980 is far better than Kmart's Celeron B830.

The best laptop deal so far this season was the lenova V570, which is gone now.

When I look at the BB preview it is saying the $249 laptop is Asus not Acer. It appears to just be the upgraded version of the one from the OP. It has V980 vs V970 and Win 8 vs Win 7.

https://blackfriday.bestbuy.com/door+busters2/product/6780111/as...

Is anyone going to venture to BB and hope to get one of the laptops they are selling....
Don't they say something to the effect, 4 per store?

I picked up a Dell 2nd gen I3 (OPEN BOX) for 247.00 plus tax yesterday. You can look at open box prices on the web. Go to store locator and pick your local store. You can shop open box and clearance from there. I'm ok with 2nd gen most of the new generation stuff was all running win8. (Which I cannot consider a laptop/desktop OS)

There were even a few 14's in the other store in my town for 275-340.00.

Looks great and runs fine,will make my daughter very happy. (it will run better when I wipe it and get rid of the crappy Dell suite of poopiness)

Thought I'd toss it in here since people tend to overlook their clearance and open box being available on web. I cant see how anyone can deal with less than an i3 performance wise.

I just picked up something similar (B980 Pentium, WIn 8) at BB in person on clearance for $236+tax in NC. Receipt shows it was a X401A-BHPDN41

"We are currently unable to show local-store inventories online.
We apologize for this inconvenience. Please visit your local store to shop in-store clearance."
Just a coincidence or FWeffect?

bholio said:   I just picked up something similar (B980 Pentium, WIn 8) at BB in person on clearance for $236+tax in NC. Receipt shows it was a X401A-BHPDN41
Found one in Orange, CA. They had the tag out for the computer but computer above it was the wrong model number. They wouldn't accept the error but went to the back and found the right one.
It's item number 6780157 X401A-BHPDN41 Reg 249.99 on clearance for 236.99+tax

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014