• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Seagate 3TB External USB 3.0 - $99.99 Amazon.com

Amazon dropped the Seagate STCA3000101 3TB USB 3.0 External to 99.99 Shipped To Your Door.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00829THQE

fritze op

Member Summary

Seagate STCA3000101
Thanks UncleRico
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Thanks!

RMAC (Nov. 17, 2012 @ 7:50p) |

Amazon was being threatened to have a law created that would unquestionably require them to collect sales tax, if they d... (more)

geowrian (Nov. 17, 2012 @ 8:21p) |

Not same specs... the cheaper one has a 1 yr warranty; the OP's has a 2 yr warranty. (And the OP's comes with some "spe... (more)

larryc (Nov. 17, 2012 @ 8:51p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

is costco going to have the same drive for $90 during BF?

Amazon sucks, it was $89.99 several months ago and I ordered 4 and they claim price mistake and shipped only 1, and now they charge tax also.

raider73 said:   Amazon sucks, it was $89.99 several months ago and I ordered 4 and they claim price mistake and shipped only 1, and now they charge tax also.

Yes, Amazon sucks because they had a price mistake that you tried to take advantage of (really...buying 4?), and actually sent you one anyway. And they suck for complying with government laws. Imagine that.

raider73 said:   Amazon sucks, it was $89.99 several months ago and I ordered 4 and they claim price mistake and shipped only 1, and now they charge tax also.

Amazon only charges tax in a few states

Items sold by Amazon.com LLC, or its subsidiaries
Items sold by Amazon.com LLC, or its subsidiaries, and shipped to destinations in the following states are subject to tax:

California
Kansas
Kentucky
New York
North Dakota
Pennsylvania
Texas
Washington
No sales tax is charged when purchasing gift cards; however, purchases paid for with gift cards may be subject to tax.

Better deal than Costco because 1) I just bought it in my pajamas, 2) I didn't have to wait until next weekend, and 3) 5% Discover CB (better than 3% Costco True Earnings AMEX CB).

Looks like Amazon is OOS at $100. Available from 3rd parties for much higher

geowrian said:   raider73 said:   Amazon sucks, it was $89.99 several months ago and I ordered 4 and they claim price mistake and shipped only 1, and now they charge tax also.

Yes, Amazon sucks because they had a price mistake that you tried to take advantage of (really...buying 4?), and actually sent you one anyway. And they suck for complying with government laws. Imagine that.

That's not accurate. People have a right to be upset with Amazon over this. There was no law that said they had to do it. Amazon could have continued to avoid sales tax in CA but they negotiated an agreement to do it.

"Amazon and the state tax collector, who have been at loggerheads for years over the issue of Internet sales taxes...

Amazon last year struck a deal with Gov. Jerry Brown. The company promised to open two 1-million-square-foot distribution centers in Northern and Southern California and to start charging sales tax..."

for opening 1M sq ft center, they got money from state which now every resident is paying for in the form of taxes! I cancelled my prime once Amazon started charging taxes in CA
namlook said:   geowrian said:   raider73 said:   Amazon sucks, it was $89.99 several months ago and I ordered 4 and they claim price mistake and shipped only 1, and now they charge tax also.

That's not totally accurate. There was no law that said they had to do it. Amazon could have continued to avoid sales tax in CA but the negotiated an agreement to do it.

"Amazon and the state tax collector, who have been at loggerheads for years over the issue of Internet sales taxes...

Amazon last year struck a deal with Gov. Jerry Brown. The company promised to open two 1-million-square-foot distribution centers in Northern and Southern California and to start charging sales tax..."

OOS

Sold out and the next pricing is 132.00 by 17th street photo.

Sorry double posted

IrfanPathan said:   for opening 1M sq ft center, they got money from state which now every resident is paying for in the form of taxes! I cancelled my prime once Amazon started charging taxes in CA

Yeah it sucks that Amazon cashed on this sales tax issue and decided to take money in exchange for agreeing to sales tax.

I just saved a little more than $100.

Yes Amazon is a bad company now because you can't do this anymore.
"Oh I like this but I'm going to get it through Amazon because they don't charge tax".

Such spoiled people.

namlook said:   IrfanPathan said:   for opening 1M sq ft center, they got money from state which now every resident is paying for in the form of taxes! I cancelled my prime once Amazon started charging taxes in CA

Yeah it sucks that Amazon cashed on this sales tax issue and decided to take money in exchange for agreeing to sales tax.

Guys, it is not Amazon decided to take money in exchange for agreeing to sales tax. Amazon needed physical presence. And by the law, you're obligated to charge tax in state where you have physical presence.

Had to try a few times before I could add it to the cart.

Don't forget free 1 day shipping if you pay w/ Discover and use promo DSCVRHSP

Same specs, but $89 (even cheaper than OP's!).

Buy it quickly:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00834SJU8/

Are you sure you are not looking at the 1TB.

RMAC said:   Are you sure you are not looking at the 1TB.Yes, but you didn't buy quickly enough

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/expired-deals/1234611/

Dotbody said:   RMAC said:   Are you sure you are not looking at the 1TB.Yes, but you didn't buy quickly enough

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/expired-deals/1234611/

Thanks!

namlook said:   geowrian said:   raider73 said:   Amazon sucks, it was $89.99 several months ago and I ordered 4 and they claim price mistake and shipped only 1, and now they charge tax also.

That's not accurate. People have a right to be upset with Amazon over this. There was no law that said they had to do it. Amazon could have continued to avoid sales tax in CA but they negotiated an agreement to do it.

Amazon was being threatened to have a law created that would unquestionably require them to collect sales tax, if they didn't do voluntarily. Instead of doing it via legislation, and after several years passed, they worked out a deal to get warehouses at reduced tax rates (which created jobs). Since they would then have the physical presence in-state, they were now required to collect sales tax. Amazon was forced to either do it at a tax break, or have it forced upon them via legislation.

Also, it's very questionable if they were allowed to not collect sales taxes for all those years. The law, as written, isn't entirely clear on the matter. The government said the law does include Amazon's sales, and Amazon's legal team said it doesn't. Amazon stood to owe millions in back taxes and fees if it went through the courts.

Keep in mind that purchasing something without sales tax is legally required (as it has been for decades) to be claimed and reported under a Use tax. If you lived in CA and purchased form Amazon prior to the change and were not claiming it, you were technically illegally evading taxes. That's where this whole thing started - the state was loosing sales taxes on items sold to people in CA, for usage in CA, by a nontrivial amount. The state was still owed said taxes, but companies were not collecting them under sales tax and claimed it was up to the consumers to report them under a Use tax.

Note: Sales tax and use tax are essentially the same thing. One applies at the time of sale and is collected by the seller for later turnover (sales tax), and the other applies to the purchaser who is required to pay said tax on their returns (either quarterly for businesses or annually for personal taxes). Use taxes aren't "new", and they aren't any higher. It's just pushing the responsibility of who collects and turns over to somebody else.

Dotbody said:   Same specs, but $89 (even cheaper than OP's!).

Buy it quickly:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00834SJU8/

Not same specs... the cheaper one has a 1 yr warranty; the OP's has a 2 yr warranty. (And the OP's comes with some "special" backup software for what that's worth)
(and the cheaper one is now OOS)

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 12:00AM CST (Midnight) tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.