Amazon
Get Up to 6.0% Cash Back in the Following Departments:
Member Summary

Seagate Expansion 3TB External Drive
Thanks Valtron9000
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Does anyone know if this is 7200 rpm? I am having trouble finding that info.

7200.14 series: SATA 6Gb/s, 64MB Cache, 4KB sectors (part# 9YN164)
Godis1coolguy said:   Does anyone know if this is 7200 rpm? I am having trouble finding that info.

Godis1coolguy said:   Does anyone know if this is 7200 rpm? I am having trouble finding that info.

Confirmed 7200 rpm.

great price for external, or internal. one should be able to take it apart and use it as internal hdd, right?

javad said:   great price for external, or internal. one should be able to take it apart and use it as internal hdd, right?

I'd think the only downside would be that you would void the warranty.

Is there a ventilation fan inside the box of this model?

Beware... 1 yr warranty. (Last 1 yr-warranty drive I purchased died at 13 months.)
The 2 yr warranty version is only $10 more http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00829THQE

Kasio said:   Is there a ventilation fan inside the box of this model?

From the very first Amazon review on the product page:
COOLING: Heat is the enemy and can shorten the lifespan of drives. For a drive that seems intended to be always on, I would have expected cooling to be a significant design feature. The enclosure is passively cooled with holes in the bottom and back. However, this doesn't seem to be enough to enable real/effective convection cooling (using rising heat to pull cooler air across the radiator). The enclosure is thin plastic (metal would be been a better conductor of heat).

Data point: I bought this exact HDD on Nov 2 for $119.99 and was able to get a price match. CS rep said price matches are usually limited to 7 days but she made an exception for such a large drop in price.

larryc said:   Beware... 1 yr warranty. (Last 1 yr-warranty drive I purchased died at 13 months.)
The 2 yr warranty version is only $10 more http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00829THQE

You can buy a 2-year warranty on the $89.99 one for $7.99. The warranty is sold by SquareTrade and it is listed in the "Add Accessories" section under the "Add to Cart" button. I am not sure if this is comparable to buying the drive with the 2-year warranty, but if it is, it's a couple of bucks cheaper.

Price : $7.99
In Stock.
Ships from and sold by SquareTrade.
2-year coverage from date of purchase: electrical & mechanical failures
Fixed or receive full replacement cost in 5 days or less - guaranteed
Free 2-way shipping for repairs
100% parts and labor covered with no deductibles
Cancel anytime - full refund in first 30 days

larryc said:   Beware... 1 yr warranty. (Last 1 yr-warranty drive I purchased died at 13 months.)

Argh...they just sold out...thanks OP!

Back again...

lol...and now gone again...lol...WTF?

AmExp will double your warranty. Roughly, one get 1% CashBack for 'double warranty' and 6% CashBack for no AmExp benefit.

Godis1coolguy said:   larryc said:   Beware... 1 yr warranty. (Last 1 yr-warranty drive I purchased died at 13 months.)

You can buy a 2-year warranty on the $89.99 one for $7.99. The warranty is sold by SquareTrade and it is listed in the "Add Accessories" section under the "Add to Cart" button. I am not sure if this is comparable to buying the drive with the 2-year warranty, but if it is, it's a couple of bucks cheaper.

I suspect that drives with 1-yr warranties are made with worse tolerances than drives with 2 yr warranties. So I'd still rather purchase the drive with the longer warranty out of the box.

Remember, drives used to have 5 yr warranties. Now they are down to 2 or 1 years. There's got to be a manufacturing reason.

Too bad. Itīs gone again...

Dead...

missed it

Damn...I needed one too...

oh well, it will come back eventually

I believe I saw this drive in the Best Buy BF ad for $99.

For those who have bought or will buy this drive, a note. I've bought several of these from CostCo (around $129), and they're great drives, but a certain number of this drive model suffer from a firmware defect. If you reboot your PC with the drive attached, it will not be recognized after reboot unless you independently turn the drive off and on (or unplug it from the USB3 port and plug it back in). This is particularly annoying if you have the drive attached to a PC which is on all of the time and you're using the drive as an auxiliary storage device. Every time your machine reboots (to install updates, for example), your external storage will become unavailable. This maddening problem has a solution; there is a firmware patch, but it's not available generally from Seagate. You have to send a private message to someone at Seagate to get the firmware update. So if you have that problem, that's what you have to do.

Chris.

IMHO, the way they do it is that they setup certain testing standards.
If the HDs pass all the tests, they give them certain warranty.
If the HDs fail all the tests, they scrap them.
In between, they give them less warranty.

That's how Intel and AMD do their CPUs.

larryc said:   Godis1coolguy said:   larryc said:   Beware... 1 yr warranty. (Last 1 yr-warranty drive I purchased died at 13 months.)

I suspect that drives with 1-yr warranties are made with worse tolerances than drives with 2 yr warranties. So I'd still rather purchase the drive with the longer warranty out of the box.

Remember, drives used to have 5 yr warranties. Now they are down to 2 or 1 years. There's got to be a manufacturing reason.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014