• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
6-Hour promo only! 9:00am PT - 3:00pm PT - 11/18

$84 - $25 MIR = $60 with free shipping. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188098

Amazon lists the EVGA Z68 FTW edition 160-SB-E689-KR at $153 by comparison. Includes a 3 year warranty. Not a refurb or open box, this is for a new board!

Remember this motherboard is Extended ATX form factor, not every single case may be compatible.

WARNING: Did some digging. This motherboard will not work with Ivy Bridge CPUs, only Sandy Bridge chips, ie Core i7 2600K or lower models. Microcenter has the i5-2500K selling for $100 right now.

Member Summary

Motherboard
Thanks Kougar
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Pitty that they are not getting off their duffs and enabling IB support on the board.

Short answer, they can't. EVGA stated Intel doesn't allow Ivy to function with the P67 chipset. I suspect it's actually a VRM spec issue on EVGA boards personally, as some boards can support Ivy chips and the Z68 refresh boards can.

It's a pretty nice deal though for a high-end system on the cheap. These were genuinely $200+ boards as FTW or For the Win was EVGA's flagship model. A high-end $60 motherboard paired with a $100 i5-2500K from Microcenter will build a cheap, powerful system. Ivy Bridge averages to only around 4% better performance clock-for-clock. Source

The chips coming out early next year won't be compatible with ANY of the current sockets, so there is also little reason to buy a Z77 board unless buying Ivy chips.

Kougar said:   Short answer, they can't. EVGA stated Intel doesn't allow Ivy to function with the P67 chipset.

And this is a load of horse#$%@. Other manufacturers have P67 running with Ivy just fine. EVGA either screwed something up in their board design, or (more likely) they don't want to take the time to re-validate these boards with a new CPU.

Holy cow this board has 6 PCIE 2.0 slots. Even with x8 configuration there are 5 slots (PCIE 2.0 x8) available. I am seriously thinking to have 5 SAS/SATA raid cards installed and that will give me 5x8+on board 4+2 = 46 hard drives capability (46 x 3 = 138TB storage space) and cheaper overall cost comparing to backblaze's storage pod design.

cost: $60 MB + $35 G530 cpu + $30 8gb memory + $80x5 raid cards + $110x46 hard drives + $80x2 750W PSU + $??? customized case to put everything in = $5745 + case cost, not too bad for a 138TB configuration. The only two things I'm not sure about are if the onboard PCIE controller can handle all the drives and the power/cable wiring issue, after all without multiple backplane for SATA ports this thing is going to look ridiculous.

Yep, welcome back to extended ATX form factors.

That's a hell of a setup! The board should have enough bandwidth. It uses an NF200 chip to split the x8 lanes off the chipset so two or three of the slots will share bandwidth, but even with all those hard drives I don't see 24 drives reaching 8GB/sec of throughput. The rest of the lanes are piped directly into the CPU.

WTH is Extended ATX? Never heard of that.

Probably won't fit in a standard mid sized Case like Antec 300?

sclantw said:   Holy cow this board has 6 PCIE 2.0 slots. Even with x8 configuration there are 5 slots (PCIE 2.0 x8) available. I am seriously thinking to have 5 SAS/SATA raid cards installed and that will give me 5x8+on board 4+2 = 46 hard drives capability (46 x 3 = 138TB storage space) and cheaper overall cost comparing to backblaze's storage pod design.

cost: $60 MB + $35 G530 cpu + $30 8gb memory + $80x5 raid cards + $110x46 hard drives + $80x2 750W PSU + $??? customized case to put everything in = $5745 + case cost, not too bad for a 138TB configuration. The only two things I'm not sure about are if the onboard PCIE controller can handle all the drives and the power/cable wiring issue, after all without multiple backplane for SATA ports this thing is going to look ridiculous.

What do you do for redundancy? Build a second one?

The specs say the Antec 300 will only accept ATX or smaller form factors. EATX used to be really common.. boards tend to be wider across and deeper/more slots available for add-in cards.

yorkie345 said:   
What do you do for redundancy? Build a second one?

Maybe do a Raid6 and have less than 120TB actual useable space. I don't think I will have budget for another one in the foreseeable future.

Though against 46 hard drive RAID6 is most likely not going to be enough in the next few years
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/storage/why-raid-6-stops-working-in-20...

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014