• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Drop from yesterday $898. Now $798. I'm in for one. Better deal than the 50".

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-TC-P60U50-60-Inch-600Hz-Plasma/dp/B008KCSMHS/

Amazon
Get Up to 5.0% Cash Back in the Following Departments:
Member Summary

Panasonic 60" Plasma (17.92kB)
Thanks Wemic
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
I can't reliably put a screen protector on my phone without bubbles. I can't imagine doing it to a large TV.

slickdeal45 (Nov. 20, 2012 @ 9:14p) |

I've still got one of these in my cart showing $798. Haven't found any other deals that have made me dump it. I'm in Afg... (more)

IBMike (Nov. 22, 2012 @ 6:30a) |

Got tired of looking and went ahead and pulled the trigger on this TV. If you're not in a hurry, the deal isn't expired,... (more)

IBMike (Nov. 23, 2012 @ 12:30a) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:

very mix reviews

The 50" one is very highly rated, unlike this one.

red2082 said:   Drop from yesterday $898. Now $798. I'm in for one. Better deal than the 50".

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-TC-P60U50-60-Inch-600Hz-Plasma/dp/B008KCSMHS/

Very nice.

palex1 said:   very mix reviews
From who? The idiots on Amazon who give 1-star reviews because the package is supposedly missing a screw?

"The inexpensive Panasonic TC-PU50 series in its superb picture quality surpasses many TVs costing hundreds more... low price, excellent picture quality, and bare-bones features make the Panasonic TC-PU50 series a superb entry-level plasma TV value." -- David Katzmaier, CNET

"In pure dollar/performance terms the Panasonic TC-PUT50 [similar model] series is one of the best TVs we've seen, with astounding picture quality for the money." -- Ty Pendlebury, CNET

"Splendid... stunning... lifelike... the Panasonic UT50 [similar model] cocks a snook - in terms of sheer picture quality at many a LED TV costing substantially more." -- Mark Hodgkinson, AVForums

"Outstanding picture quality... its frankly hard to tell it apart from the very best. The TX-P42UT50 [similar model]... in darker viewing environments... completely smokes LCD-based TVs in just about every way" -- David Mackenzie, HDTVtest

polishdreamer said:   The 50" one is very highly rated, unlike this one.
They are the same. If anything, the larger screen size might be more likely to have a lower black level, but I think that is only a significant issue with Samsung plasmas.

there is more then just missing screw. here are couple reviews:

""The picture quality of the new set is no different than the 6 year old Panasonic 42" plasma that I replaced. I am also disappointed with Consumer Reports magazine which rated this model as "above average" for picture quality. The colors are fair in the "standard" mode but the general picture is a bit dark and indistinct. "Cinema" mode is slightly better. The speakers sound very cheap in any mode. This is a good example of "you get what you pay for."""

"2mins later after initial turn on, the picture goes completely BLACK and I get the "blinking red light of death"!!!My understanding after reading countless blog posts on this blinking red light epidemic is that there is a serious issue with the Panasonic power supplies...one that the company is not acknowledging. And even worse is the fact that it can happy at ANY TIME to any Panasonic regardless of model or price range. So, you could be one of the lucky ones who never experience this problem or you could end up like me, with a 100 lb paperweight in your living room. Thank God it happened early so Amazon is refunding my money. "

palex1 said:   there is more then just missing screw. here are couple reviews:

""The picture quality of the new set is no different than the 6 year old Panasonic 42" plasma that I replaced. I am also disappointed with Consumer Reports magazine which rated this model as "above average" for picture quality. The colors are fair in the "standard" mode but the general picture is a bit dark and indistinct. "Cinema" mode is slightly better. The speakers sound very cheap in any mode. This is a good example of "you get what you pay for."""

"2mins later after initial turn on, the picture goes completely BLACK and I get the "blinking red light of death"!!!My understanding after reading countless blog posts on this blinking red light epidemic is that there is a serious issue with the Panasonic power supplies...one that the company is not acknowledging. And even worse is the fact that it can happy at ANY TIME to any Panasonic regardless of model or price range. So, you could be one of the lucky ones who never experience this problem or you could end up like me, with a 100 lb paperweight in your living room. Thank God it happened early so Amazon is refunding my money. "

LOL, funny.

palex1 said:    ""The picture quality of the new set is no different than the 6 year old Panasonic 42" plasma that I replaced. I am also disappointed with Consumer Reports magazine which rated this model as "above average" for picture quality. The colors are fair in the "standard" mode but the general picture is a bit dark and indistinct. "Cinema" mode is slightly better. The speakers sound very cheap in any mode. This is a good example of "you get what you pay for."""

The first review is from someone who doesn't know how to calibrate a television or who is possibly blind, since the black level of 2012 Panasonic plasmas is a fraction of what it was six years ago. I don't know, nor do I care, how bad the speakers are -- but the PQ is far better than Panasonic plasmas that were available six years ago.

The second review is something that you're going to find for any television if you look at enough reviews. There are always going to be a few lemons. As for his implication that Panasonics have more problems than other brands, that just isn't true -- and you can confirm that from any site that tracks customer satisfaction and reliability, like Consumer Reports or PCMag.

A rating of 4.2 out of 5 (84%) is not "very mixed," especially not when some of the negative reviews are clearly from idiots. You're also looking at a very small sample size. The U50 has a rating of 4.6 from 118 people on Best Buy's site. Averaging those ratings, the TV has a rating of 4.5 out of 5 (90%) from 163 customers on those two sites. Again, that is not "very mixed reviews" -- that's overwhelmingly positive reviews. I'm sure that if you look at the comments from owners at somewhere like AVS or HighDefJunkies, they will be overwhelmingly positive. And some of those people actually have some sense and own colorimeters, so you'll see comments that are more helpful than "Screws were missing!" or "This TV is dimmer than my LCD! How do I make it as bright as the sun???"

I'm for one trying to make decission here either plasma or LED to buy.No games just movies. Dont care much about smart. Have Rokku to get all apps.
But, here now from AVS site posted 10/15:
"My impression has been lukewarm to be succinct. I am no videophile for sure, but the set displays a lot of fluctuation in brightness, which I interpreted to be ABL. The transition isn't smooth as one would expect, but in jerks. Enough to drive me to return this set.

I tried to love it, but this, coupled with a lack of pro settings like AGC and Blackness extension level control, have made me take the return route. If anyone can enlighten me as to what I may be missing, I'd be highly obliged. The service menu was no help, and it's all Greek to me anyway."

Cnet says it's darker than other plasma's:

The bad: The TC-PU50 washes out in bright room lighting, and it can't get as bright in its most accurate picture mode as some plasmas this size. It has just two HDMI inputs. It also uses significantly more power than a like-sized LCD or LED TV.

I just finished a downstairs room at my house that gets a lot of evening sun and am trying to decide if an LED will be worth it over a plasma or if both would have issues.

palex1 said:   I'm for one trying to make decission here either plasma or LED to buy.No games just movies. Dont care much about smart. Have Rokku to get all apps.
But, here now from AVS site posted 10/15:
"My impression has been lukewarm to be succinct. I am no videophile for sure, but the set displays a lot of fluctuation in brightness, which I interpreted to be ABL. The transition isn't smooth as one would expect, but in jerks. Enough to drive me to return this set.

I tried to love it, but this, coupled with a lack of pro settings like AGC and Blackness extension level control, have made me take the return route. If anyone can enlighten me as to what I may be missing, I'd be highly obliged. The service menu was no help, and it's all Greek to me anyway."

I'm not sure if that person is describing ABL, but ABL can be jarring to people who are seeing it for the first time, and I'm sure that some people would just flatly refuse to own a plasma because of it. However, I would say the effect is something that you really don't see occur very frequently (outside of commercials, where it commonly kicks in). If you don't know what ABL (auto brightness limiter) is, in simple terms, it's a design aspect common to all plasma TVs that keeps the total luminance of the screen somewhat even when images are displayed. The result is that a small white spot on an otherwise black screen will have a much higher luminance than a completely white screen. During most normal viewing, ABL isn't really a noticeable factor in image quality. But when a high amount of the screen displays a highly luminous image (white), then the display will noticeably dim. That's why I say that ABL is more commonly witnessed when viewing commercials, which often include almost entirely white images. It's a negative aspect of plasma TVs, but one that many of us can overlook because of plasma's strengths; more specifically, the very low black level of today's Panasonic and Samsung plasmas.

It is true that low/mid level Panasonic models, like this one, offer very little in the way of calibration control. Panasonic lags behind other manufactures in that regard, notably Samsung and LG. For some reason, the Korean manufactures have been much better about including picture controls than the Japanese manufacturers. But professional reviewers seem to feel that the overall image quality is still very good on those models, in spite of less-than-perfect color accuracy (I do not own one, so I cannot speak to the color accuracy myself). The reality is that very few people calibrate their televisions to a high or even moderate degree of accuracy anyway, so most people will never miss the adjustments that are missing.

If you do decide to buy a plasma, keep in mind that models without an anti-glare filter, like the Panasonic U50 and UT50 series, are really only suitable for a light-controlled environment. If you're going to frequently use the TV in a room with ambient light, then you should step up to the ST50 series. Or if you're going to be using the television in an extremely bright environment, then you should buy an LCD instead.

If I was buying a TV for watching movies and television in a theater environment, then I would not even consider buying an LED LCD. As Mackenzie said in that review, even the cheapest 1080p Panasonic and Samsung plasma models "completely smoke LCD-based TVs in just about every way" in a dark room. The only LCDs that can compete with plasmas in that environment are full array LED LCDs with local dimming, and the only models currently available are very expensive.

SILVERZ28 said:   Cnet says it's darker than other plasma's:

The bad: The TC-PU50 washes out in bright room lighting, and it can't get as bright in its most accurate picture mode as some plasmas this size. It has just two HDMI inputs. It also uses significantly more power than a like-sized LCD or LED TV.

I just finished a downstairs room at my house that gets a lot of evening sun and am trying to decide if an LED will be worth it over a plasma or if both would have issues.

I say don't get it for a bright room. Wait for LCD/LED on Black Friday. Nevertheless, Panasonic scored better than other plasmas regarding color (again, not in a bright room). This is a great deal for someone that knows about their cons and gets a 60" with (potentially) no tax, free shipping, no hassle from this upcoming weekend and a great return policy for a safety net. Use Discover card for the 5% promo.

SILVERZ28 said:   Cnet says it's darker than other plasma's:

I don't know if this is true of 2012 Panasonic plasmas, but many televisions have controls for raising or lowering their peak luminance in the service menu (a contrast control for plasmas, a backlight control for LCDs). My LG plasma and Panasonic LCD both have such a control in their service menus, but I am not familiar with the service menu of this TV.

I personally don't think that extremely high peak luminance would be much of an asset with plasma, because ABL is still going to exist and will only become more noticeable when peak luminance is set extremely high. The "wash out" that he's talking about is because the TV doesn't have an anti-glare filter of any kind. Plasmas without an anti-glare filter really aren't suitable for environments with ambient light, so unless you want to invest in some good blinds, you should probably avoid this TV. The more expensive ST50 would be better suited to a room with ambient light.

If you get an LCD, then keep in mind that many of them actually have glossy screens these days and can be very reflective. Also, as with the filters used in plasma TVs, not all glossy screen LCDs are created equal -- the glossy screen LG LCDs that I've seen have much worse glare than the glossy screen Samsung LCDs that I've seen. And of course a matte screen LCD would perform the best in a room with lots of light.

I was thinking about putting this in my finished basement. There's a glass block window above the area where I'd put this, but no other ambient light source anywhere near it. Do you think this would be appropriate in a relatively dark basement space?

Just got Samsung UN55EH6050 Rear Lit LED LCD for $849.00 (original $1399) in local Costco. Looks like good deal. Lot of folks were buying beacuse of rear lit.
Will see if I need to go back to plasma option.

50" dropped to $549

Why does it say $1089.99 when I click on the link?

Is the sale over?

badllvlloon said:   Why does it say $1089.99 when I click on the link?

Is the sale over?
More Buying Choices

badllvlloon said:   Why does it say $1089.99 when I click on the link?

Is the sale over?

It's because it isn't in stock - says "ships in 1 to 3 weeks"

red2082 said:   SILVERZ28 said:   Cnet says it's darker than other plasma's:

I say don't get it for a bright room. Wait for LCD/LED on Black Friday. Nevertheless, Panasonic scored better than other plasmas regarding color (again, not in a bright room). This is a great deal for someone that knows about their cons and gets a 60" with (potentially) no tax, free shipping, no hassle from this upcoming weekend and a great return policy for a safety net. Use Discover card for the 5% promo.

Dont trust Cnet or any reviews...go see the tv at the store.

This set says this...same for the 50 inch

Size: 50-inch

600 Hz Sub Field Drive
Media Player
2 HDMI
Game Mode

Now for the ST50 version...hmmmm....I wonder what Infinite Black Pro Panel means?....you think they just took some black spray paint...Panasonic makes some great plasmas and some really awful ones too....oh..by the way..the more expensive sets have anti reflective built into the panels....you get what you paid for. Get a cheap lcd over a cheap plasma..get a mid cost plasma over expensive lcd.

Size: 50-Inch

Full HD 3D
Infinite Black Pro Panel
VIERA Connect Wi-Fi Built-In (with Web Browser)
3D Real Sound

Great find. Thanks OP!

Thanks OP< in for 1! The old 50 Inch plasma goes black on the top half at times, time to part it out.

Price shows as $1,089.99 for me.

Sach said:   Price shows as $1,089.99 for me.

That's likely because Amazon has shown you another seller's price.

For those that are Panasonic EPP eligible, they have it for $719 now. Might be even better with ShopDiscover.

THis is on my short list; I am getting something in this size range, just haven't nailed down which one.

Guess all the good press paid off; it is currently out of stock.

It does qualify for free shipping too!

UPDATE: It's out of stock but you can order it and have it delivered when available. $798 as of 11/20 1pm MT

palex1 said:   Just got Samsung UN55EH6050 Rear Lit LED LCD for $849.00 (original $1399) in local Costco. Looks like good deal. Lot of folks were buying beacuse of rear lit.
Will see if I need to go back to plasma option.

FYI the UN55EH6050 was never actually sold for $1399 at Costco. That is Samsung's bogus MSRP. It was $999 from the first day they stocked it back in March. It has been offered at $899 at Costco several times since then. Even at $849 it is a marginal deal on a low end Samsung LCD without edge LED lighting and limited inputs. Plus it is nearly 4" thick! Personaly I would ahve waited and got the 6150 series on BF for $150 more.

Got the TC-P60U50 from Fry's B&M for $700 plus tax. Definitely an awesome picture. As to the ABL things you mention, make sure that C.A.T.S. is turned off in the video menu - I think it's under the Advanced menu.

With respect to glare, apparently you have some options that keep this tv reasonably priced. You can get an "antiglare" film from NuShield. http://www.nushield.com/order_now.php They should be able to get it created to whatever size you need (60.1" iirc). There's also MightyShield.com (can't get the site to load at the moment). Another option is to get a piece of "museum acrylic", either locally or online. I think the most you'd pay for any of these would be about $200, possibly $50 less.

**Does anyone have the code for getting into the service menu or know of a good resource for details on the options there?**

Thanks,
Greymulkin

I can't reliably put a screen protector on my phone without bubbles. I can't imagine doing it to a large TV.

I've still got one of these in my cart showing $798. Haven't found any other deals that have made me dump it. I'm in Afghanistan, so no B&B duking it out for me on BF... any reason why I shouldn't just stop driving myself crazy searching and pull the trigger on this one?

Got tired of looking and went ahead and pulled the trigger on this TV. If you're not in a hurry, the deal isn't expired, just out of stock. Price still comes up at $798, shipped free.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014