• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I almost hate to share this because of the huge YMMV of this deal, but perhaps someone else can get in on it. This may be the revenge of the small town folks who have to endure all the juicy Fry’s deals.

I am certain this will only work at the small “Hometown Sears” stores that are in small towns. So, please don’t try this at a big, normal Sears and if you call Sears and ask about this you will be consigned to Fatwallet hell upon death. And BTW, I adopted a new FW identity for this post; I have posted (and read) here for years.

Sears has a Toshiba 50” LED 1080p HDTV. You can see the ad below. It is $299.99. Four per store. Good TV, but amazing for this price.

I wandered into my “Howntown Sears” to see if they had any in stock, scheming how to get one without getting up before 4am and fighting crazy people. I took in a copy of the FW scan.
FW BF Scan

They had two in stock. They did not have it in their BF ad, but found that the Sears computer system had put a “stop sell” on this unit. After a little digging, they found it was done to preserve stock for BF and confirmed the $299.99 price.

So they wrote up a hand sales slip, ran my debit card through an old fashioned credit card impresser, and then set it aside to run on Friday morning while the sale is on. Then they let me take the TV home (see picture). Yes, this is a small town.

If you are in a small town with one of these stores, give it a try. I know these people to some small degree and was very friendly and not demanding. I changed my FW identity to protect them from getting in trouble with Sears for doing this. And, no, I will not tell you where I did this, so don’t bother to ask. Good luck!

EDIT:
As noted in a post below, this TV actually goes on sale at 8pm Thursday, not 4am BF. Thanks for catching my mistake.

I did stop by the store I bought it at with a copy of the Thursday ad and they already knew about it. In fact, they mentioned that they had alreday sold the other TV in stock (probably to an employee or friend) under the same terms. They will simply run the sale through the system Thrusday night.

Sears
See Sears discounts that earn 6.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

50L2200U (210.79kB)
Thanks VBMcGB
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Actually the Sears BF ad states in the fine print not all Sears participate in the advertised BF deals. As for the Sears... (more)

cnIsfg (Nov. 23, 2012 @ 9:33a) |

So Sears lied to you. "Hometown" what a crock!

peepsiemom (Nov. 23, 2012 @ 12:39p) |

To be fair, from the Hometown Website:
"Sears will not price match competitors’ items that are limited in quantity, offer... (more)

dogmeat (Nov. 23, 2012 @ 12:59p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:

Thats awesome! Per their newspaper ad this falls under the 8PM doorbuster. I'll try my luck tomm at the neighbourhood Sears. This one is inside a mall, but it never hurts to try.

Yep, pretty good deal in deed. The 10 reviews on Amazon.com are good. http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-50L2200U-50-Inch-60Hz-LED-LCD/dp/B...

Plus, check out that for this t.v., Amazon states "this item qualifies for the TV Low Price Guarantee, Free Shipping, and Enhanced Delivery.t Hmmm, I wonder it that applies to "BF limited to stock on hand items?"

Good for You!!!

I was in my hometown Sears and they had two big banners stating hometown stores would not be selling the 50" Toshiba. They had lots of Samsung TV's (I counted 12 of the 32" for $249 on the main floor).

Ya done good!

Kaadamson said:   Yep, pretty good deal in deed. The 10 reviews on Amazon.com are good. http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-50L2200U-50-Inch-60Hz-LED-LCD/dp/B...

Plus, check out that for this t.v., Amazon states "this item qualifies for the TV Low Price Guarantee, Free Shipping, and Enhanced Delivery.t Hmmm, I wonder it that applies to "BF limited to stock on hand items?"

Great idea but:

Time-limited sales events (such as Black Friday, "early bird" or "door buster" offers ), offers advertised as limited in time or quantity, clearance, liquidation and going-out-of business sales, and loyalty program offers are also ineligible for the Guarantee

wonder if citi price rewind etc. would work??

I suppose you know the staff there well because I'd never let anyone have all 16 digits of my DEBIT cards and the exp date as they did for you on the old fashioned imprinter.

Every black friday site that I look at has this listed at 499 for this television? I can't seem to find the ad with the 299 price.

Can anyone link the entire ad?

Dfshortguy26 said:   Every black friday site that I look at has this listed at 499 for this television? I can't seem to find the ad with the 299 price.

Can anyone link the entire ad?

May I note there is a small mistake here; not in price, but timing. This TV is in the Thanksgiving ad, not the BF ad, on the very back page.

FW Ad Link/Scan

The BF ad does have a 50" LED TV for 299.99, but it does not mention the brand. FW seems to think this is a Panasonic 50" Viera Plasma HDTV (TC-P50X5), but the ad doesn't specify.

I went to my local store. Unless the checkout people are like family to you, there's really no way to get this work for more than one reason. At my local store, the price was still in the process of being marked down and was only at the $500 level. When the TV dept. person checked the price at the register, there was a large "DO NOT SELL" notification and the system wouldn't let him process the sale even if he wanted to.

ach1199 said:   I suppose you know the staff there well because I'd never let anyone have all 16 digits of my DEBIT cards and the exp date as they did for you on the old fashioned imprinter.

To be fair, how often do you give a waiter or waitress your card and have then disappear with it for 3-4 minutes? You think these people can't just write the info down or snap a cell phone picture?

TempName2 said:   ach1199 said:   I suppose you know the staff there well because I'd never let anyone have all 16 digits of my DEBIT cards and the exp date as they did for you on the old fashioned imprinter.

To be fair, how often do you give a waiter or waitress your card and have then disappear with it for 3-4 minutes? You think these people can't just write the info down or snap a cell phone picture?

I don't. Use credit card for that. p.s. I work for a financial inst so know all the fraud involved.

I thought this thread was about the deal, not credit/debit card fraud.

ach1199 said:   TempName2 said:   ach1199 said:   I suppose you know the staff there well because I'd never let anyone have all 16 digits of my DEBIT cards and the exp date as they did for you on the old fashioned imprinter.

I don't. Use credit card for that. p.s. I work for a financial inst so know all the fraud involved.

No, you do NOT know all fraud.

I find it interesting that if they have a stop sell, then they would still sell it to you. This is more like a deal discussion than an available deal, it's also a story about a one-off situation that's unproven. We have a BF ad for Sears, add this story in there because it doesn't need it's own thread.

ach1199 said:   TempName2 said:   ach1199 said:   I suppose you know the staff there well because I'd never let anyone have all 16 digits of my DEBIT cards and the exp date as they did for you on the old fashioned imprinter.

No, you do NOT know all the fraud. You're kidding your self if you believe that. But, hopefully Sears will sell me this TV!

peepsiemom said:   ach1199 said:   TempName2 said:   ach1199 said:   I suppose you know the staff there well because I'd never let anyone have all 16 digits of my DEBIT cards and the exp date as they did for you on the old fashioned imprinter.

No, you do NOT know all the fraud. You're kidding your self if you believe that. But, hopefully Sears will sell me this TV!

Was just trying to warn FWers not to give out all 16 digits of their DEBIT card numbers and exp date. No other cynical intention. You're kidding yourself if you think Sears will sell you this TV today.

My hometown Sears was going to sell this and the 32" ($97) TV but there is a big sign now (and owner confirmed) that ALL hometown Sears stores cannot sell this tv for less than $499....AND they cannot sell the 32" tv for $97. The owner was working by herself and I just talked to her tonight. I was glad I stopped in because I was going to wait all day tomorrow. She said that this is the first year they haven't been able to sell everything that the bigger Sears have.

...........now, having said what I said, maybe it was just THIS particular Sears that was making it look like they couldn't sell it but I doubt it. The original poster got extremely lucky I think, nice job! Wish I would have done that last week when I was in there. It was $799 last week on the shelf and the guy said it would be $299 tomorrow, then when I went in today the first thing I noticed was that the price had dropped to $499. But she still couldn't sell it to me for that.

hmmm...if what she says was true, the hometown Sears that sold TempName2 the EARLY Toshiba is going to have to fork over an extra $200!

Just got home from out "hometown" Sears and it was closed. Had a sign in the window stating that they would not be selling that TV. Basically saying they couldn't afford it. Wasted trip.

At least your Sears had the decency to post a sign stating the Toshiba was not there. I just stood in line for an hour in the freezing cold only to be told at opening that it was not there. Jerks! I will NEVER shop at this Sears again!

Our Hometown also had a sign a couple days ago when I stopped saying they would not have a couple of those TV deals, though they have many of the Craftsman tool deals and other appliances.

southpaw, I think you're confused... Sears Hometown are not Sears stores... they are locally owned/operated small appliance dealers. These TVs were NOT in the Sears Hometown ads, so I'm not sure why your confusion means they are jerks.

Well, knowing that there is a difference between hometown and full-fledged Sears, I knew that the ad I was looking at possibly did not include my Sears store. But...wouldn't have taken much effort for the manager to confirm that with a sign...there were probably 75 to 100 people in line that would have appreciated it. It is called being considerate.

I showed up to my Hometown Sears 2.5 hours early along with an elderly lady in a motorized scooter. We were the only two there at the time, and an employee came out to tell us they weren't opening till 8. I asked if they had the Toshiba 50" TV for $299, and he said no, we have it for $499. We talked for awhile and he went and got this stores ad for us to look at. We both left disappointed. The sales man said he was going to put a sign on the door saying they weren't going to honor the $299 that Corporate stores were offering.

I did end up getting a pretty good deal on a 46" LCD TV from Amazon for $349.

Thanks, halterk, I will check that out. The Samsung 40" LED for $427 looks kinda good as well...

Our hometown store here in cabot ar sold us this tv for 499 at 5:30 this morning. We brought them the ad that said 299 and they refused to honor it. My husband has been on the phone all morning to the owner and customer service. The owner said that corproate said they could not honor the deal because it was a hometown store. Their website says they ad match and also match Sears branded sores. Customer service said they would work on it. Sounds like you have a good hometown store. I guess they are selling below cost. The ad does not say anything about not honoring hometown stores. They has a 2 page flimsy ad at the store that they let us look at the price of the tv. The national ad they refuse to honor...

keiferkat said:   Our hometown store here in cabot ar sold us this tv for 499 at 5:30 this morning. We brought them the ad that said 299 and they refused to honor it. My husband has been on the phone all morning to the owner and customer service. The owner said that corproate said they could not honor the deal because it was a hometown store. Their website says they ad match and also match Sears branded sores. Customer service said they would work on it. Sounds like you have a good hometown store. I guess they are selling below cost. The ad does not say anything about not honoring hometown stores. They has a 2 page flimsy ad at the store that they let us look at the price of the tv. The national ad they refuse to honor...

Actually the Sears BF ad states in the fine print not all Sears participate in the advertised BF deals. As for the Sears.com website and price matching policy that apples to Sears corporate stores matching other Sears corporate sotres , Sears Hometown or competitors. It states nothing about Sears Hometown stores matching Sears corporate stores. In fact, the omline policy explicitly states Sears Hometown stores do not participate in Sears' price match policy.

keiferkat said:   Our hometown store here in cabot ar sold us this tv for 499 at 5:30 this morning. We brought them the ad that said 299 and they refused to honor it. My husband has been on the phone all morning to the owner and customer service. The owner said that corproate said they could not honor the deal because it was a hometown store. Their website says they ad match and also match Sears branded sores. Customer service said they would work on it. Sounds like you have a good hometown store. I guess they are selling below cost. The ad does not say anything about not honoring hometown stores. They has a 2 page flimsy ad at the store that they let us look at the price of the tv. The national ad they refuse to honor...

peepsiemom said:   keiferkat said:   Our hometown store here in cabot ar sold us this tv for 499 at 5:30 this morning. We brought them the ad that said 299 and they refused to honor it. My husband has been on the phone all morning to the owner and customer service. The owner said that corproate said they could not honor the deal because it was a hometown store. Their website says they ad match and also match Sears branded sores. Customer service said they would work on it. Sounds like you have a good hometown store. I guess they are selling below cost. The ad does not say anything about not honoring hometown stores. They has a 2 page flimsy ad at the store that they let us look at the price of the tv. The national ad they refuse to honor...

To be fair, from the Hometown Website:
"Sears will not price match competitors’ items that are limited in quantity, offered for sale for less than six hours during a day, door busters or offered for sale Thanksgiving Day through the Monday after Thanksgiving. "

Now, all the lawyers can now debate this line, as to if "competitors" limits this policy only to non-Sears stores or not. They do say:

"If you find a lower price on an identical brand and model number from another Sears Holdings retail format or website, Sears will match that price, but will not provide the additional 10% of the difference. Sears will not price match limited time Online Only events, special Online Price, or conditional Online Only Special Offers on our websites. Only items listed as Sold by Sears or Sold by Kmart are eligible for price matching on our websites. Sears will not price match any Marketplace items or any items sold by Sears Outlet or SearsOutlet.com. All other rules for qualification apply."

These Hometown stores are not owned by Sears, but by local small town business people. They probably get trapped between Sears and customers all the time. If they had to eat a $200 loss on these TVs if they sold them at $299, I wouldn't blame them for balking.

That said, I think $499 is not bad for this TV. Not a screaming BF deal, but I don't think there is a better 50" LED TV for less than $500 right now that was not in such limited supply that you had no realistic chance of getting one.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014