• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Howdy all:

I buy this stuff all of the time as it is my favorite gel to shave with. Remington Products has a Black Friday Deal for a 6-pack (5 oz. bottles) of the Supercooled Menthol shaving gel for $8.00. Use coupon code spectrum10 to receive an additional 10% off making it $7.20 shipped for a 6 pack! It's the best price I have ever seen on it and I buy this stuff a lot. Figured it would also make a great stocking stuffer. Hope this deal is able to help someone out! Happy hunting!

King of Shaves Menthol Shaving Gel

King of Shaves Regular Alphagel Shaving Gel

zapdaddy

Member Summary

King of Shaves Supercooled Menthol Shaving Gel
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Yeah, good shaving cream (i.e. the expensive stuff) really doesn't lather at all. Someone's used to Barbasol, lol.

coolbreeze (Nov. 30, 2012 @ 10:38p) |

A follow-up on this issue of lathering. First, let me say that while I enjoy having a closely shaved face, I hate shavi... (more)

lousygolfer (Dec. 01, 2012 @ 5:01p) |

Just got a call from Remington, advising that they are out-of-stock on both the shave gel and the shaving oil I ordered.... (more)

lousygolfer (Dec. 12, 2012 @ 12:33p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Hot! I think I have a 10 year supply at this point with the last b1g1 deal a couple of months ago. This was an even better price. Thanks op!

In for 2 packs

Thanks - giving it a try

Thanks, same here, give it a try, hope its good.

It's excellent stuff, much slicker and smoother than any sort of traditional shaving creams or shaving gels (like Gilette, which lather up into a foam). Only downside is that it could have more menthol - it's a bit weak on the cooling effect that I like after a shave. I'll get another pack of this, even though I too have plenty of left over stuff from the last B1G1F sale.

I also like their shaving oils. After applying some facial wash in the shower, I rub about 6 drops of the KOS shaving oil into my beard and it does a nice job of giving a close shave without all of the extra product on your face. They've got the Kinexium shaving oil on sale, too, for $11.65AC for a six-pack; their other oils are also on sale albeit with a lesser discount - look under the "Shavers" selection on their website. One nice thing about the shaving oil is that it comes in a small 1/2 oz. bottle that slips easily into your travel kit and complies with the maximimum container size requirements for air travel.

A tip I got from another shaving thread here: at least half of what makes a razor dull isn't the sharp metal edge getting more rounded, it's deposits and oxidation on the blade. You can get rid of that excess gunk on your blades and significantly extend your razor cartridge's lifespan just by stropping it a half dozen times on a pair of jeans laid flat on your bed, going opposite of the direction that you shave. I tried this last week on a cartridge I was about to toss after about 35 days that was giving me really rough shaves and was definitely over the hill. The denim stropping thing hasn't restored it to new condition, but it's improved it significantly and it now shaves as smoothly and as close as a blade that's maybe two weeks old. Alternatively, keeping the razor's blade submerged in mineral oil will protect the blade from oxidation and will do the same thing.

lousygolfer said:   
A tip I got from another shaving thread here: at least half of what makes a razor dull isn't the sharp metal edge getting more rounded, it's deposits and oxidation on the blade. You can get rid of that excess gunk on your blades and significantly extend your razor cartridge's lifespan just by stropping it a half dozen times on a pair of jeans laid flat on your bed, going opposite of the direction that you shave. I tried this last week on a cartridge I was about to toss after about 35 days that was giving me really rough shaves and was definitely over the hill. The denim stropping thing hasn't restored it to new condition, but it's improved it significantly and it now shaves as smoothly and as close as a blade that's maybe two weeks old. Alternatively, keeping the razor's blade submerged in mineral oil will protect the blade from oxidation and will do the same thing.

Good tip - I have also heard that storing the blades in Vodka works too! Guess if you have an old bottle lating around...or the cheap stuff...why not? Lol

zapdaddy said:   lousygolfer said:   

Good tip - I have also heard that storing the blades in Vodka works too! Guess if you have an old bottle lating around...or the cheap stuff...why not? Lol

Just do what I do - hold a haridryer to the blade for a few minutes after shaving. Dries it completely and the blade stays sharp.

Not sure why this is now in the "Expired Deals" category - still active on their site!

Anyone get a shipping confirmation e-mail? I ordered on 11/21 and when I logged on to Remington's website, it shows the order "In Progress" but has not shipped. Even considering Thanksgiving and if Remington was closed on Black Friday, they still should have shipped it at some point this week. I'm kind of pissed off at this slow, poor service. I've ordered from them three times previously and it always has arrived within two days.

When I ordered it last a few weeks ago, it took forever and a day. But both of my orders to the same address were eventually delivered. Card was not charged until orders were ready to be shipped.

The upside of the delay was I got fresh stock.

lousygolfer said:   
A tip I got from another shaving thread here: at least half of what makes a razor dull isn't the sharp metal edge getting more rounded, it's deposits and oxidation on the blade.

I use shaving oil too. $3.50 from WalMart, one bottle lasts more 6 months with about 5 shaves per week. I found that I don't need to strop the blade, there is enough oil left on the blade to protect from oxidation, even though I leave it in the shower. I get about 10 months on a single blade that way.

OOS.

Doesnt lather at all ... - I am not sure if I will recommend this to anyone.

Perhaps good for ladies legs

Thanks op.

Dead :/.

FWIW, someone mentioned running their blades against their jeans to keep it sharp. You don't even need that, just run it across your arm about 10 times between shaves (opposite the way you would shave, of course). That and drying the blades as soon as you're done will make your blades seem to last forever. Granted, I only shave twice a week, but my blades will last almost half a year sometimes with the proper care.

I missed this but what a great deal. It's normally $4 or so at Target (just for one). I see they are selling individuals on the website for $6

Got mine yesterday. It's nice!

starlights said:   Doesnt lather at all ... - I am not sure if I will recommend this to anyone.

Perhaps good for ladies legs

Why does it need to lather? A topical shaving product needs to do two things: 1) provide a slick lubricant to allow the razor to glide smoothly and closely to cut the beard as close to skin level as possible; and 2) soften the beard to make it easier for the razor's edge to cut. KOS's shaving oils and gels do that very well, without obscuring one's face with masses of foam, which does nothing at all - they aren't supposed to lather. Spread the oil or gel thoroughly, rubbing it in with your fingertips against the grain of the beard to lift the beard and make it stand out. KOS gels are a whole lot slicker than, say, Gillette, Nivea, Neutrogena, Edge, etc... shaving gels in a can that start out as a gel but turn into a foam on one's face. Complaining that KOS doesn't lather is equivalent to complaining to your waiter that the nice Napa cabernet sauvignon he just brought you "This is too warm, it's not even chilled, it's nearly room temperature. Could you put some ice cubes in it?"

Yeah, good shaving cream (i.e. the expensive stuff) really doesn't lather at all. Someone's used to Barbasol, lol.

A follow-up on this issue of lathering. First, let me say that while I enjoy having a closely shaved face, I hate shaving - it is a big pain in the ass for me, always has been, always will be. I spend more time on shaving then on any other personal care/grooming activity, so it's worth it to me to devote some attention to making it an easier, quicker, and hopefully cheaper activity. I will never be a wetshaving enthusiast, as some guys are, but I'm willing to invest some time into seeing if there is a better way to do it. So I read some reviews of DE razors and shaving brushes on Amazon and visited Badgerandblade.com. And I concluded that many of these enthusiasts of wetshaving are obsessively into the activity, treat it as one of their most important hobbies, and have become outright fetishists.

Having said that, I was still curious about all the hype, so I bought a cheap badger hair brush from Target for around $9 and a $3 shaving soap from Walgreens last night and, ordered a Feather butterfly-opening DE razor online that appeared to be the best of the sub-$30 DE razors (as far as I have determined, there's not a single local store that carries DE razors, just the blades) After following the instructions on badgerandblade.com on how to prepare a brush for first use last night as well as their tutorials on how to create a good shaving lather with brush and soap, this morning I started lathering up my new brush to shave with my Schick Hydro 5 cartridge razor. The first thing that I noticed was that it takes a lot of extra time, something I don't often have an abundance of in the morning. Then, as I was standing there whisking my brush briskly around the mug trying to generate lather, I started feeling pretty damn silly when I realized what is involved: grown men playing with bubbles. Literally, that's what this whole lathering thing is, playing with bubbles.

So once I had a good, reasonably thick lather prepared, after standing there for 90 seconds or so whisking and swishing away feeling a bit like a ninny, I brushed it on and started shaving, expecting a good, smooth shave since I put a new cartridge in yesterday. And, I can honestly say that this all-lathered up shave was one of the worst I've had in months, in terms both of smoothness and in terms of close shaves; I actually had to dig out an after shave cream to sooth my stinging skin, something I haven't needed to do in a long time. Shaving with KOS gels gives me a significantly smoother, closer shave. Now I'm not going to toss the brush and soap in the trash after one attempt, and will give it a few more tries, just for the heck of it, but I really suspect that gels, not lathered-up soap, will give the best shave. Maybe a better soap would have made a big difference. Certainly, if I liked the brush thing, I would go for a much larger, fuller, more expensive brush than my $9 budget one - something like what Daniel Craig used in Skyfall - and I think the $30-40 spent on a good brush would be money well-spent if I planned to continue using a brush for years into the future. And maybe once I try and get the hang of using a DE razor, I'll find it works better with lather from a brush. But I doubt it and I feel pretty good about picking up probably close to a 2-year supply of King of Shaves gels recently at ridiculously good prices.

Just got a call from Remington, advising that they are out-of-stock on both the shave gel and the shaving oil I ordered. The CSR agreed with me that it had been an excessive amount of time - 3 weeks since placing the order - to advise that they were sold out. She offered to substitute any of their other, in-stock products and so I ended up getting their menthol shaving oil and their Azor menthol shaving gel (it's dark charcoal in color, kind of goopy, but ultra-slick, more so than their regular shaving gel - it looks like it might even have graphite powder in it) substituted in the same quantities for my original purchase price. I'm not happy about the ridiculous delays (and about the fact that being out of stock for so long implies that they will no longer carry some of the KOS products) but I prefer the menthol oil to the Kinexium oil and the Azor gel costs about a buck more than the standard menthol gel, so that's decent deal.

I've explored the double edge (DE) razor and wetshaving thing some more. The original razor I bought was defective and instead, I picked up a Concord DE razor like this one: Concord DE razor on Amazon and a blade sampler pack, since there seems to be some significant difference between the numerous different DE blades out there. So far, I've used it twice, with a Derby (made in Turkey blades - 100 pack for $7.65 on Amazon - that's right, 7.65 cents a blade, no typo) and the first time I decided to do the traditional wetshaving thing, prepping my beard with KOS menthol shaving oil, then brushing up a lather with a mix of Bigelow (made by Proraso, sold at Bath & Body Works and pretty highly regarded in the wetshaving community) shaving cream from a tube and Williams shaving soap I picked up on clearance locally for 79 cents. I didn't cut myself, the shave was slightly closer than with my usual multi-blade cartridge razor, and the shaving soap/cream lather was about as smooth as using a KOS gel (although some of that was probably the KOS oil underneath). I tried it a second time using the KOS gel instead of the traditional lathered soap or cream, and it was just as close and smooth of a shave, if not smoother, and I had no cuts.

So my conclusions are as follows:

1) Double edge razors are the way to go - blades are typically in the 8 to 30 cents a piece range and they shave a bit closer than with a cartridge blade.

2) Wetshaving - i.e. creating a lather with a shaving brush from a shaving soap puck or a small squirt of tubed shaving cream varies quite a bit depending on the product that you use, but with a decent product, it can create a good, smooth, slick and comfortable shaving lubricant. However, it is a time-suck, taking at least an extra 3-4 minutes to do it properly. And if you actually think about what you are doing, you feel a bit silly for being a grown man playing with bubbles.

3) I may try some more upscale shaving soaps and may melt some down and tinker with their compositions by adding menthol crystals to get more of a cooling sensation than is available with most topical shaving products on the market, but for my typical, don't-have-a-lot-of-spare-time-in-the-morning, day-to-day shaving, will probably use the DE razor with KOS shaving gel.

EDIT 12/18/12: I received my package from Remington Products nearly a month after ordering it and instead of the substitute items, it contains my original order. No apology for the excessive delays, no explanation, nothing. Remington, your service is awful.

EDIT 12/24/12: Three days after receiving my original order, I received another box from Remington Products that contained the substituted items. So they did make up for the delays, but I suspect that it was inadvertent, not because they wanted to give me something extra to compensate for the bad service.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014